How To Get More Friends And Activity In Thailand

qrtech

Stay at thailand almost 1 and half year, still can not make any friend in thailand, start getting bored in thailand, beside work, felt nothing can do. anybody got any suggest where and how can easily to make more friend and activities ? thanks

How about some volunteer work? Although you would need a work permit for that. But there are a lot of foundations, including international ones, in BKK.

Also many countries have societies of expats, like the British society. Your embassy website often tells if there is a society like that of people from your country and where you can reach them.

If you are in Bangkok, you are in the easist city in Thailand to make new freinds!

Do you play any sports?, as Bangkok has many sports clubs and teams to join...., also try the British Club, even if you are not british you can join :o

bangkok

Just my opinion,

Lots of good friends to be had in BKK, but choose carefully.

I usually listen more than I talk with the expats I meet. People with common sense and decent judgment can weed out the folks with distorted backgrounds, and fable stories, to find the many good and honest folk out here.

I've found some decent people through meetup.com. Not all the groups are good mind you, but you'll get to know that after a few meetings. Still looking for more though myself, especially sports related, to make me get off my butt and do something active.

Oz

I got some friends while fishing, im in the BKK area too. So far i have shied away from most other foreigners, there are a lot of bad ones. I am sure there are good ones too just the fact that someone is a foreigner doesnt make me my friend right away. I mean you have to hit it off otherwise too.

I have my own gym at home (small but sufficient) But i might be going to an gym in BKK just for fun and meet ppl (keep my main workouts at home).

It all depends on who you meet ect, i dont need ppl around me all the time but doing something with others is fun at times.

Why don't you try to buy a "Bangkok Guide" by the Australian-New Zealand Women's Group ...it is really the best book produced of all the clubs, shops, things you need to know if you are a farang living in BKK. Really everything is there, about everything, can't possibly list it here, it is huge and complete and very good.

Can't remember where I bought mine, and mine is the 2003/2004 version ...I suppose they have a more current one, and I don't live in BKK, but find it very helpful.

Set up a profile on Facebook and search for Thailand and Bangkok groups. There are a growing number of Bangkok and Thailand groups. There are events and meet-ups for different groups. Coffee cafe meetings,

I just got a Facebook invitation to this fund rasing event that I gather happens every month

Afterwork Cocktails and Cones - 26 Jun 08

With BIG RAFFLE - Prizes from Chiva-Som, Sixsenses, Meridien, Amari hotels, California gym and many more

Global

Plaza Athenee - Lotus Flower Foundation - FLOW

Your country's Chamber of Commerce probably has social network nights once a month. As do all the others and these are normaly open to non-members.

Schools and community centers are always looking for English teachers. I suspect if you went to talk to any school near your house and said you'd do English lessons or tutoring they would welcome. I did this in a Bangkok school without any organization (they made the first intro but I just worked with the school from there).

I bet if you started attending some sort of social event once a week you'd find travel companions.

Lastly I had good luck meeting companions, some who were good weekend travel friends, at thailovelinks. Like with any online dating or friendship you need a little common sense but it's easy to find interesting people who are more than happy to go and do things in the evening and weekends. Most like you have jobs M-F.

Good luck,

Derek

it will be great if i can help people. i do have work permit in thailand, therefore no problem in that. ist any volunteer work only happen on weekend? because i have to work on weekday.

Volunteer work can be done in the venening and weekends also.

A big organisation with both Thai and western volunteers is the duang prateep foundation. check there website here: http://en.dpf.or.th/.

For volunteer work you will need another workpermit. But the foundation can help you with that. A lot of people do volunteer work without a WP. It's illegal, but in reality there isn't much checking.