Gasohol For My Bike?

With smaller Yamaha motorcycles I will stick as long as possible to the old fuel, the sticker indeed gives them the capabilities to run E-fuel but that basically stats that the new fuel will not have effect on any plastics used. This by no means specify the efficiency of the engine.

Currently Yamaha is on a trilling surf of popularity of its Fino series, who cares... They sell like pancakes, nobody seems to care for tomorrow, similar to the "new" 135cc Nouvou Elegance which was just introduced into India. (it is a hit there also so who cares about a market as Thailand if you have a market of millions).

Yamaha Thailand and all regional Yamaha manufacturers signed one year ago an agreement, open another markets. As Yamaha India is sending larger displacement motorcycles to Thailand, Yamaha Thailand find a new market in India for its little bikes.

Besides the standard 91 and 95 octane soups, there's a growing variety of "versions" on offer at gas stations now. I've read the words "gasohol" and "ethanol", but many of the descriptions are written in Thai, and I can't read curlies...

Any idea whether my Yahama Fino would run on anything but "standard" 91 or 95 octane? And if not -- what consequences should I expect after having gone to the wrong pump?

My wife had a Fino until Allan wrecked it, anyway here is how you know on any bike.

1. Is there a black sticker where you can see either E10 or E20 next to the fill cap?

2. Do the bike have fuel injection?

3. Is the bike a 4 stroke?

4. Does it say in the manual you can run E10, E20 or E85?

Now if it does not have a sticker, it could have been removed but to be sure ask the vendor.

No fuel injection, don't run gasohol

No 4 stroke no gasohol

If the manual do not specifically say you can run E10 or higher ethanol content fuel, then no gasohol

That is the simple way of answering your question.

A Fino does NOT have the sticker and have no fuel injection but is a 4 stroke in the manual it does NOT say you can run E10 or higher ethanol content, so can you run with gasohol? It will run, but it is not good for your engine so avoid it. You is supposed to run 91 benzine, which is easy to get anywhere. The current model of Fino is NOT designed to run gasohol.

To answer how it might damage your engine, hit up on the internet and see there is currently over 100 000 claims for damaged carbed 4 strokes in US alone. Lot of interesting reading there.

Cheers Bard

So no body cares :o that your now beautiful new toy will be obsolete in 3 years, no fuel available for it only Gasohol which does untold damage, surely the government will have to extend this 2012 deadline on Benzine?

Damage I've read also includes damage to steel not plastic i.e rust in fuel tanks fuel jets corrode etc so these Bike's we buy today are just not up to this Gasohol & no tweak here & there will get around it. Seams the latest fuel injections are the nearest you will get to a guarantee of little problems

Maybe the manufacturers have something up there sleeves with all modified parts available in kit form to make a killing out of all these Bike's & Pre 1995 Cars that will be breaking down everywhere,or just parked up.

Well The Government has now put in a law that new models has to be fuel injected, all new big bikes are and can run E10 anytime, regarding small bikes, the new models as you see from Honda has fuel injection and E10 plus E20 warranty, and I guess the rest will follow. Old models are still carbed though so when you buy a new bike, to look for fuel injection is a smart thing to do.

When Allan wrecked my wife's Fino, it was so crap that to repair it was beyond my interest so I sold it as is and bought her a Honda CZ-i which is E10 plus E20 compatible and dude it burns so little fuel I am amazed, never got so much mileage out of anything before. That and it has slip clutched gear which is 100000000% better than that stupid variable belt drive auto many small bikes comes with, they have a EFI auto shit as well, anyway knowing my wife she will fill what is cheap so I was happy to get her this one, now I rest assured that the gasohol she will fill anyway (whatever I tell her) will not void warranty, and the engine can take it.

Cheers Bard

• 6 months later...

In regards to Gasahol use,i found this site,it may help!!!!

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/objects/pdf/2003motorcycles.pdf :)

http://www.caltex.com.au/biofuels/carcompatibility.aspx

Kawasaki -bio fuel suitability-

All motorcycles and All Terrain Vehicles

E10 Suitable = No

Buell -bio fuel suitability-

All motorcycles

E10 Suitable = Yes

BMW- bio fuel suitability-

All motorcycles post 1986

E10 Suitable = Yes

Honda -bio fuel suitability-

E10 Suitable = No

Suzuki- bio fuel suitability-

E10 Suitable = No

Yamaha -bio fuel suitability-

All motorcycle and All Terrain Vehicles

E10 Suitable = No

Edited by Udonfarang52

In regards to Gasahol use,i found this site,it may help!!!!

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/objects/pdf/2003motorcycles.pdf :)

http://www.caltex.com.au/biofuels/carcompatibility.aspx

Harley -Bio fuel suitability.

E10 suitable-yes

Kawasaki -bio fuel suitability

E10 Suitable = No

Buell -bio fuel suitability

All motorcycles

E10 Suitable = Yes

BMW- bio fuel suitability

E10 Suitable = Yes

Honda -bio fuel suitability

E10 Suitable = No

Suzuki- bio fuel suitability

E10 Suitable = No

Yamaha -bio fuel suitability

All motorcycle and All Terrain Vehicles

E10 Suitable = No

Added 2100 hrs22/08

found an Australian sight,that lists all cars,bikes that run on E10.......!

http://www.flexfuelkit.com.au/articles/8/1...-E10/Page1.html

Besides the standard 91 and 95 octane soups, there's a growing variety of "versions" on offer at gas stations now. I've read the words "gasohol" and "ethanol", but many of the descriptions are written in Thai, and I can't read curlies...

Any idea whether my Yahama Fino would run on anything but "standard" 91 or 95 octane? And if not -- what consequences should I expect after having gone to the wrong pump?

Try this site.

http://www.flexfuelkit.com.au/articles/8/1...-E10/Page1.html

I didnt realise 91/95 were being phased out in Thailand.......can anyone enlighten me on how will a 2 stroke handle the various "blends" of gasahol/ethanol? Or does that spell the end of 2 strokes in Thailand?

I realise hoses etc would need changing.