Changing From A Tourist Visa?

Hi guys,

This probably came up before, but i couldn't find it.

Is it possible to transfer a 90 day Tourist visa into a retirement visa, and if so, how long time in advance do you need to apply for it?

Also, can we send application and passport + fee to the Royal Thai Consulate in Mumbai by courier (DHL, FedEx) ?

Thanks in advance

You do this at Immigration inside Thailand. You visit with more than 21 days remaining on your current permitted to stay stamp and proof of financial requirements for retirement. You pay 2,000 baht for visa or conversion. After the non immigrant visa is issued you would do the normal 1,900 baht one year extension of stay.

If you are talking about an OA visa issue you must be in your country of residence and provide police clearance/medical and other paperwork as required by the Embassy involved. It would not be a conversion but a new visa issue.

Hi guys,

Is it possible to transfer a 90 day Tourist visa into a retirement visa, and if so, how long time in advance do you need to apply for it?

Also, can we send application and passport + fee to the Royal Thai Consulate in Mumbai by courier (DHL, FedEx) ?

Thanks in advance

A 60 day Tourist Visa can be converted to a 90 day Non O Visa if there is at least 21 days left on your stay. Fee 2,000 Baht.

With about 2 or 3 weeks left on the Non O Visa you can apply for the retirement extension.

All this gives you and Jane a few months to settle in and get your documentation sorted out.

Embassy letters, Bank books etc.

You may even be able to get a Non O Visa in India and not do the Tourist Visa Upgrade. I do not know if that is possible in India.

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

A 60 day Tourist Visa can be converted to a 90 day Non O Visa if there is at least 21 days left on your stay. Fee 2,000 Baht.

With about 2 or 3 weeks left on the Non O Visa you can apply for the retirement extension.

All this gives you and Jane a few months to settle in and get your documentation sorted out.

Embassy letters, Bank books etc.

You may even be able to get a Non O Visa in India and not do the Tourist Visa Upgrade. I do not know if that is possible in India.

If the OP in an Indian Passport holder - his Tourist Visa will give him only a 30 day stay not 60.

and only a 7 day extension

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

Hi Raybona

Here is the Link to Royal Thai Embassy in India

http://www.thaiemb.org.in/en/index.php

I found the following EXTRACTS on that website which might ? be applicable to you …

For O-A Visa

1) Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/her application is submitted.

2) Please be advised that the following applicants are eligible to apply for this type of visa in the country :

• Applicants undergoing Health Rehabilitation Program in hospitals or Health Centers. These organizations will apply on behalf of the individual applicant.
    • Applicants who are spouses / parents / children of applicants above.
    • Applicants to whom the agencies or organizations approved by the Office of the Immigration Bureau have applied for visa on their behalf. The above mentioned applicants must have qualifications stated in I and II.
    • The Consular missions will be notified to issue visa to the individual applicant when the Office of Immigration Bureau has given approval.

This link in the Embassy website for the Mumbai Consulate General Gives little information

http://www.thaiemb.org.in/en/consulate/mumbai.php

Maybe they have their own website – you could phone them

There are now Visa Application Offices run by VFS in Delhi, Chandigarh, Chennai and Bangalore

And various Blue Dart Agencies

VFS Website > http://www.vfs-thailand.co.in/index.html

I have not been able to find an answer to your Question about Courier Services to Mumbai.

If you are required to go personally maybe the Bangalore VFS office is nearest to you

but it is only a Sub office to their Chennai Office

Hope some of this helps

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

Ray . Don't confuse yourself with thinking about an OA Visa. Jane will only get that in Norway, and it requires police reports and medicals.

Get yourselves any Visa you can get and when you arrive go and have a chat with Immigration in Chiang Mai.

I also tried looking for info on Mumbai , but as said there is not a lot.

It looks like there are only certain offices where you can apply by courier.

Edited by Lite Beer

WilliamIV, Lopburi3 and Lite Beer, Thank you so much for your help.

However, in Goa we don't have Bleu Dart, means that we have to go in person, how do we go to Mumbay, Bangalore or Chenai with loads of lugage and a 9 year old little Shih tzu, having to stay there for 3-4 nights before flying to Thailand?

Because, change of plans, we desided just to move end October, instead of wasting time and money for just a look around while (thanks to your forum) we have most of the answers and already love it.

Is this possible?; fly from here with Srilankan to Kuala Lumpur, staying there and apply for a 90 day TV and fly directly to CM, or is a stamp/visa on arrival transferrable aswell (let's say within a week) ?

We've just found out that Jane is getting more then 65.000B per month, so no problem for her, and i just have to do the 3 month visarun all the time, no problem either.

Thanks a lot,

Ray & jane

They probably will not let you on the plane at Mumbai without a Visa.

Why don't you give Mumbai a ring or send an E Mail and ask on your options for applying for a Visa.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1854.php?depcode=21940100

Hi Lite Beer,

Checked the website, and sent email to the Consul General, but on the Thai Embassy website in Delhi it states that the applicant must come in person or it can be send by courier, BUT, only Blue Dart, which of course we don't havve that here in Goa.

Here's a tricky one: What if we have a one way ticket to Thailand, and an onward ticket CM - Vientiane? take the on arrival visa in Thailand, and apply for the 3 months tourist in Lao, lets say 2 weeks later? Would they still refuse me to board in India, and should it work in Thailand ?

Thanks, and greetings,

Ray & Jane

If the onward ticket to Vientiane is within 30 days you will have no problems with the airline going to Thailand. Only not sure about problems going to Vientiane.

Why not convert your visa in Thailand itself. Can be done also on 30 day visa exempt entry, as long as you do it within the first 9 days.

Ray. You are making this a lot more difficult than it really is.

Here is another option.

Look at http://www.airasia.com/site/th/en/home.jsp and book a flight from Bangkok to anywhere in Asia outside of Thailand.

This will get you on the flight in Mumbai. When you get to Thailand throw the ticket away if you do not want to use it.

Jane would be able to get her Retirement extension with the 30 day stamp.

You will have to make a trip to Vientienne in 30 days to get a Visa. The tourist Visa is for 60 days and you should get a double entry.

Edited by Lite Beer

This would be illegal if you were still in Thailand when you did it,

and could result in the cancellation of the visa.

This would be illegal if you were still in Thailand when you did it,

and could result in the cancellation of the visa.

He lives in India