Building A House Near Pattaya

brjh

I am considering buying some land - NO LEGAL ADVICE REQUIRED PLEASE - on a site that I have identified with existing mains drainage and a piped water supply, on the outskirts of Pattaya. A have drawn a rough plan of what I want - single storey, with three bedrooms, three bathrooms, lounge area and big kitchen - under a total roofed area circa 250 sq.mtrs - of which circa 70 sq.mtrs. is covered parking and an outdoor sitting area.

I now need someone to professionally turn my ideas into a workable, blueprint. to thereafter project manage and build. If it permitted - can ask for what experience any readers have had of Rosegate Building Consultants and other design, project manage and build companies they could recommend - ideally with a European management team.

Also - daft question I know - can readers hazard a 'ball-park' per squre metre guess of likely building costs for something equivalent to a average UK built standard - and how long - with a fair wind - a property of this size should take to build from footings to finality.

I am considering buying some land - NO LEGAL ADVICE REQUIRED PLEASE - on a site that I have identified with existing mains drainage and a piped water supply, on the outskirts of Pattaya. A have drawn a rough plan of what I want - single storey, with three bedrooms, three bathrooms, lounge area and big kitchen - under a total roofed area circa 250 sq.mtrs - of which circa 70 sq.mtrs. is covered parking and an outdoor sitting area.

I now need someone to professionally turn my ideas into a workable, blueprint. to thereafter project manage and build. If it permitted - can ask for what experience any readers have had of Rosegate Building Consultants and other design, project manage and build companies they could recommend - ideally with a European management team.

Also - daft question I know - can readers hazard a 'ball-park' per squre metre guess of likely building costs for something equivalent to a average UK built standard - and how long - with a fair wind - a property of this size should take to build from footings to finality.

Its Richard here from Rosegate Consultants, I have just sent you a message to your private message box

I've been calling on Rosegate's expertise for several months now and wouldnt hesitate to recommend the company or the contacts they have provided me with.

About a year ago there was a series of recommendations of a local Thai architect who would handle design / approval / project management.

Seems like a very competent guy and would be able to handle 'problems' better than an expat company when dealing with local authorities and land questions.

Conservative figures

15,000 - 20,000 Baht per square metre of house area depending on finishes.

10,000 per square metre for car park and outside areas.

Say 9 months to build depending on whether or not your builder can get sufficient workers (very dissicult at the moment.

We just finished a house outside Udorn, which is not near Pattaya. I thought my experiences might be relevant at least on the outdoor carpark, patio and roofing.

We have a 40 square meter patio and a 130 square meter carpark for a total of 170 M2. Our cost breakdown has been something like....

1. concrete and workers - 45,000 baht

2. aluminum roof with steel supports - 145,000 baht

The total came out to 190,000 baht for 170 M2, an average cost of 1,117 per square meter, not the 10,000 as stated above.

We also have a home in Pattaya that I will need to do some work on when I get back. I sure hope it isn't nine times more expensive than up-country. :o

Edit in: Maybe PattayaParent was talking about a ceramic tile roof. Mine is aluminum. The ceramic tile roof over the house was 215,000 baht and covers some 180 M2, which comes out to 1,194 per M2.

Edited by chuckd

I would say that figures used by PattayaParent are not far off the mark and would be for a 'good standard' of construction, i.e piled footings, double brick walls, monier (or equivelent) type roof tiles. The actual shell of the house would be approx 12,000 Baht/Sqm but then ofcourse the actual finishing is where alot of people choose either to spend alot or save alot according to their standards and lifestyles. For example, you can get very good floor tiles for 250 Baht per Sqm, or you can choose granite tiles which is a hel_l of alot more etc. Aluminium windows or UPVC?

So, all in all, 15,000 to 20,000 THB per Sqm is a good rule of thumb guide.

If the money is all there and you have approved plans (without making too many changes) then you could say between 6 and 9 months construction time, allowing for time of year (rain etc).

i have had some work done and also some quotes for a house build...........thai workers without farangs in charge was 2500 bt a sq m for LABOUR only......and a quote i got for house build inc materials was 9000 bt sq m(basic bathroom fittings,floor tiles etc)....add a farang then obviously up the charges,sorry all u farangs in the building game :o .......to be honest if you actually take the stress away from the customer u r worth ur weight in gold......i have a bit of land i was gonna build on and i aint gonna bother after last dealings with builders.good luck

Conservative figures

Say 9 months to build depending on whether or not your builder can get sufficient workers (very dissicult at the moment.

Sorry but that is nonsense.

A UK finished property should come out no more than 12500 baht per square meter

Outside finished is usually calculated at half that or negotiated.

A house can be built in 16 weeks if the builder has his ducks in a row.

If your builder comes up with numbers different from those find another builder.

Conservative figures

Sorry but that is nonsense.

A UK finished property should come out no more than 12500 baht per square meter

Outside finished is usually calculated at half that or negotiated.

A house can be built in 16 weeks if the builder has his ducks in a row.

If your builder comes up with numbers different from those find another builder.

I totally agree!!! PP must have been using a shop with a glass door - they certainly saw him coming!

I currently have for sale "quality" 500Sqm 2 storey houses which have a selling price of 25,000 Bt/SqM.!!!!

• 11 months later...

Calling all builders (no builder bums please). A couple of stupid, glaringly obvious questions for you all.

1) how much per sq meter THAI standard total building costs in krabi province, about 30 mins from Krabi town inland (sticks)? Does this include all services (water, electric) and finishing, whatever that is (paint on cement???).

1.5) This cost is for ground floor only?

2) Would it be much cheaper to project manage it yourself, never mind the headaches?

3) What are the benefits of a UK quality build, would a double brick wall with an insulating gap help keep the house cool or keep it warm... bearing in mind aircon IS NOT wanted.

3.5) Would insulated windows help keep house cool? I dont see anyone using these in Thailand.

4) Any idea of costs to put a solar panel or two in the roof?

5) Dig a well costs..?

Thanks guys (and girls).

I've been calling on Rosegate's expertise for several months now and wouldnt hesitate to recommend the company or the contacts they have provided me with.

The above reply posted by Richard's office girl :)

Do not use Rosegate.

I know of him from teh UK where he was a taxi/driver come skivvy.

He tells everyone he had a business in London of which he didn't.

He is not to be trusted, although I am sure he has some pleased customers. He is a complete P%^*&.

Use him if you dare.