Which Cars Have Timing Chains?

I am considering buying a car, but it would likely be more parked than drived, hence the consideration of choosing a timing chain. My Acura in Canada is the most reliable car I know (other than normal maintenance, 1 light bulb after 100,000 km :D ), but it had/has a timing belt, which I chose to replace after 10 years/100,000 km). I never knew that time (and not just km) was a factor for replacement. Looking at the old belt, it probably could have done much more than that, but who wants to take a chance. Right?

In any case, I would prefer to buy a car with a timing chain. I know there are sites where you can find that out (I have lost the link though), but I also have heard that in Thailand sometimes they use different parts, although I would be surprised that Toyota would be using a different timing system for one particular NEW model in Thailand than, say, Canada. And for a 2nd car, I doubt Thai people could use one for the other, although Thai people can be VERY ingenious I am sure :o .

BTW, what is the reliability of water pumps (as they are usually replaced with the timing belt/chain)? (The one in my Acura did not need to be replaced.) What are the factors that would help deteriorate a water pump?

Please, enlighten me with your knowledge and/or indicate to me a car that does have a timing chain (price below 500,000 Bahts > 2nd hand (or not)). A 2 door or 4 door, 4 cl. engine is what I am looking for.

Thank you very much for your help!

Edited by rethaired

My honda civic 2.0 (k20A3 engine) has a timing chain (to my surprise when I have the 100K service). I think they sell for 500-650K now. Look on www.one2car.com.

Thank you! Great website!

I am confused. Is it a timing chain or a timing belt, because the former does not need to be replaced, but sometimes adjusted? A timing chain saves you a replacement every 100,000 km. In my case my car stated 150,000 km/84 km, which ever comes first. I did not want to take a chance. It cost me about $300 for the work and part here in Canada.

Edited by rethaired