Children Being Taught Not To Think?

awakened

Don't know about other parents but I'm finding the homework and testing frequency, for my 7 year old, pretty heavy going. Maybe it's just this school, which has a strong programme. Or do most schools in Thailand overburden their children?

Why are youngsters being placed under additional stress with so much testing? I know it's stressful since recently we had a period of bedwetting. I had to ask the teachers to ease up. The teachers are probably doing what they are told to do and the situation isn't helped by the mother.

She wants to push her daughter hard to be successful. Not as hard as I've heard Chinese parents are but more than I think is healthy for her daughter's all round development. Are all Thais like this? The Thai mother will even complete the homework assignment! When I point out it's obvious it is her doing it, she just shrugs.

The message seems to be. Do not think. Just absorb.

I think you've hit the problem with Thai education on the head! Enough on that subject...

Now it remains to be explained what is wrong with the education system in our home countries that makes them all but impossible to live in and Thailand so dam_n attractive? The people are so much nicer here; you've got to put some of that down to their education system, no?

The Thai mother will even complete the homework assignment! When I point out it's obvious it is her doing it, she just shrugs.

You need to put this to a stop now. Otherwise your child will soon become dependent on Mom to do all the work - and the child will gain nothing from the education.

The message seems to be. Do not think. Just absorb.

More or less, yes. The only thing I'd add to that is "Do as you are told".

Don't know about other parents but I'm finding the homework and testing frequency, for my 7 year old, pretty heavy going. Maybe it's just this school, which has a strong programme. Or do most schools in Thailand overburden their children?

It depends on the kind of work it is. But overall I don't think it's too much. Most kids learn by repetitions,

I can only see homework being too much if it takes up too much time, if a kid gets home from school at 4pm and is still doing homework by 10 without messing around, there's an issue.

You might do better if you ask this question “is parenting under grade the school?“.

If you think it’s too much, how on earth do you prepare your kids for future colleges or even doing med school? There will be too many sleepless nights for sure !

Now if you were to complain on - not enough "critical thinking skills" being taught in thai schools instead, then I agree. otherwise let the schools do their jobs.

Edited by teacup