Melbourne Consulate Info Confirmation

Hi all, after reading various advice re obtaining a Multiple-Non-O from Melbourne, I can confirm the following based on my experience:

The Application:

You don't need to submit any corroborating documents, not even an airline ticket.

You only need Passport, Application, & 1 Photo.

You can state the reason for your visit being Marriage.

You can apply for 1 or 2 entries, each costing $90. (Multiple costs $225 but is only issued if you are already married). They asked me if I wanted 2 entries instead & they changed my Application accordingly. They give you a receipt & tell you to pick up your Passport on the next working day.

The Consulate:

They open 4 days per week from 9:30am to 2pm. No Thursdays. The staff are very polite & pleasant.

Only one question remains if anyone can help:

As a 51 year old Australian, when applying for Extension of stay & showing them the Thai bank account & bank letter confirming > 400k baht from abroad, are they going to ask me for proof of source of income (pension, security money) because I will not be working in Thailand????

(According to the new rules, if you are over 50, they want a letter from your embassy to show that you have a pension or "security money"). Has anyone had that experience with the australian embassy????

This Forum is great. My thanks to the likes of Astral & Dr patpong & Lopburi3 & others.

Cheers

I am not sure what you mean by the "new rules".

All they changed were the values for pension (40K per month) or 400K in the bank.

It is either/or/combination of both.

The other rules stayed the same.

For the pension you need the letter from the Embassy in Bangkok, confirming the income.

Otherwise you must transfer 400K baht in foreign currency to you Thai bank account.

Ask for the foreign exchange cert ( make sure your overseas bank sends A$ and does not convert to baht in Oz)

A letter, not more than a week old, from your bank confirming your balance.

Photocopy of bank book, front and relevant pages.

No Embassy letter needed!

Melbourne is definitely paddling their own boat.

I have just checked the mfa site

and there are TWO options of the Non O visa, Single and Multiple.

No double/ triple etc!!

They will ask you or your wife how much your yearly income/pension is for one of the lines on the form. If you have pension or other information on source they will be more than happy to take it for the file but it does not seem to be a requirement. Under 50 I believe gets the most attention.

This is second report recently about going back to 2 or 3 entry non-immigrant visas so it may be a return to previous system of paying for each entry; as is still done with tourist visa. Not sure if it was the same Consulate but could be. :o

They will ask you or your wife how much your yearly income/pension is for one of the lines on the form.  If you have pension or other information on source they will be more than happy to take it for the file but it does not seem to be a requirement.  Under 50 I believe gets the most attention.

This is second report recently about going back to 2 or 3 entry non-immigrant visas so it may be a return to previous system of paying for each entry; as is still done with tourist visa.  Not sure if it was the same Consulate but could be.  :o

============================================

Thankyou for your replies.

I picked up my passport on Friday & as expected it had the Non-O stamp with "two" entries expiring on 3-May-2005. I'll mention for what it is worth that the visa stamp had a minor rectangular stamp underneeth it stating that extension is not permitted.

My previous question refered to the financial proof required if you are > 50 yo supporting a Thai wife. They are the rules declared in Thaivisa.com on 15/4/04,

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=10&tt_news=711

At that article, they linked you to:

http://www.thaivisa.com/In_case_of_being_a...a_Thai_wife.pdf

Under these rules they seperated applicants into 2 categories for financial requirements: Under 50 yo, & 50 yo or over. The latter was asked to provide in item 8.3 "Letter of certification issued by your embassy in Thailand, stating that you have a permanant income from pension or security money in your home country." That being a requirement in addition to the > 400k deposit or 40k monthy income.

My situation is that I do not wish to work due to worsening diabitis that is the result of stress in the good old west. My 10-year renewable investment income falls short of either financial option - yearly or monthy. But I do have enough money in my Classic account to satisfy the deposit/transfer of > 400k baht for many years to come. I have visited my GF 4 times in 4 years. She visited me once in 2002. She is a career school teacher at 40 yo. While I made sure that she enjoyed her visit to oz, it is clear to us that we would both be better off in Thailand.

Hence, the following questions in the hope that someone could answer.

Question 1:

If our marriage is delayed (hypothetical), can I cross the border & re-enter eg on May 1st, thereby gaining 90 more days & maintaining visa status as Non-O?

Question 2:

Has anyone experienced the above new requirement for > 50 yo, not working, supporting a Thai wife, & therefore had to produce the above required letter from his embassy?

Question 3:

This is a silly one. Can I apply for the first yearly extention (after marriage), after my first 60 days in Thailand to get it over & done with?

Many Thanks

learner5

Hi all, after reading various advice re obtaining a Multiple-Non-O from Melbourne, I can confirm the following based on my experience:

The Application:

You don't need to submit any corroborating documents, not even an airline ticket.

You can apply for 1 or 2 entries, each costing $90. (Multiple costs $225 but is only issued if you are already married). They asked me if I wanted 2 entries instead & they changed my Application accordingly. They give you a receipt & tell you to pick up your Passport on the next working day.

The Consulate:

They open 4 days per week from 9:30am to 2pm. No Thursdays. The staff are very polite & pleasant.

As a 51 year old Australian, when applying for Extension of stay & showing them the Thai bank account & bank letter confirming > 400k baht from abroad, are they going to ask me for proof of source of income (pension, security money) because I will not be working in Thailand????

(According to the new rules, if you are over 50, they want a letter from your embassy to show that you have a pension or "security money"). Has anyone had that experience with the australian embassy????

This Forum is great. My thanks to the likes of Astral & Dr patpong & Lopburi3 & others.

Cheers

Use RTCG's at Adelaide Brisbane or Perth. Multi's are still available there.

I am not sure what you mean by the "new rules".

All they changed were the values for pension (40K per month) or 400K in the bank.

It is either/or/combination of both.

The other rules stayed the same.

For the pension you need the letter from the Embassy in Bangkok, confirming the income.

Otherwise you must transfer 400K baht in foreign currency to you Thai bank account.

Ask for the foreign exchange cert ( make sure your overseas bank sends A$ and does not convert to baht in Oz)

A letter, not more than a week old, from your bank confirming your balance.

Photocopy of bank book, front and relevant pages.

No Embassy letter needed!

Melbourne is definitely paddling their own boat.

I have just checked the mfa site

and there are TWO options of the Non O visa, Single and Multiple.

No double/ triple etc!!

But a Head of Mission or Post has discretionary powers regarding visa issuance.

Question 1:

If our marriage is delayed (hypothetical), can I cross the border & re-enter eg on May 1st, thereby gaining 90 more days & maintaining visa status as Non-O?

Question 2:

Has anyone experienced the above new requirement for > 50 yo, not working, supporting a Thai wife, & therefore had to produce the above required letter from his embassy?

Question 3:

This is a silly one. Can I apply for the first yearly extention (after marriage), after my first 60 days in Thailand to get it over & done with?

Many Thanks

learner5

1. No problem - just a border crossing required.

2. I did not have to have anything from Embassy and as long as you have the full 400k in a bank account do not believe it will be required - if less than 400k they need the letter to verify income enough to meet requirements. You will have to tell them your income for form they fill out and if you have paperwork to support that such as bank statements or pension income bring copies and they will add to your file (but may not even be required if you do not want to make your finances open).

3. Yes.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Many Thanks

learner5

1. No problem - just a border crossing required.

2. I did not have to have anything from Embassy and as long as you have the full 400k in a bank account do not believe it will be required - if less than 400k they need the letter to verify income enough to meet requirements. You will have to tell them your income for form they fill out and if you have paperwork to support that such as bank statements or pension income bring copies and they will add to your file (but may not even be required if you do not want to make your finances open).

3. Yes.

Thankyou to all for your replies & your help.

Cheers

Learner5

The Application:

The Consulate:

Cheers

Use RTCG's at Adelaide Brisbane or Perth. Multi's are still available there.

Helllo Dr. PatPong

Sorry for the double post as this is my first visit to this board.

What I would like to know is what are my chances of receiving a multi entry Non-O visa at the Consulate in Sydney, Australia. I am not married and do not work and I am under 50 years old but have more than adequate income from my business in America to pay my way. I've been in Thailand for 17 years and am recently divorced from a Thai woman. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am going to Sydney in early December.

Best regards

Siamkid

Helllo Dr. PatPong

Sorry for the double post as this is my first visit to this board.

What I would like to know is what are my chances of receiving a multi entry Non-O visa at the Consulate in Sydney, Australia.  I am not married and do not work and I am under 50 years old but have more than adequate income from my business in America to pay my way.  I've been in Thailand for 17 years and am recently divorced from a Thai woman.  Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am going to Sydney in early December.

Best regards

Siamkid

Sydney and Melbourne are difficult. Use Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth. Mail is fine. www.thaiconsulate.org.au

Dr. Patpong

Thank you very much for your extremely helpful reply regarding where best to obtain a Multi Entry Non-O Visa in Australia.

I have printed out the application form and have one more question. On the application form there is a box that says "For Non Immigrant Visas Only". Inside that box it asks for a "Local guarantor and address" and "Guarantor and address in Thailand". My question is, what, if anything, should I wright inside the box ??? Basically I guarantee myself. I have no "local guarantor". I can show I easily support myself from funds from overseas. I do have a Thai driver's license which required a letter of residence from immigration along with my landlord's signed copy of his I.D. Card and a signed copy of the "Tabien Ban"/IE: house registration papers. Will I need to provide these documents or and documents at all ??? Do you think there is no reason for concern ??? I have no idea what to wright inside the box ??? It would be a shame to fly all the way to Australia and not have any documents that may or may not be required. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your input !!!

Best regards

Siamkid