Walk Of Shame

whatsoever

Following months of gentle persuasion, a good friend and his wife travelled from the Uk to spend thier summer vacation in Thailand whilst visiting me and the family. Once they had settled into their hotel they were both keen to take a stroll along the Pattaya beach. Mid way through our stroll i could see they werent at all impressed. The beach itself was heavily littered with all kinds of rubbish, and the promonade was mostly impassible due to puddles of water from last nights heavy rain. There was electrical wiring hanging out of - what i think must have been lamp stands which have been removed. Many of the new fixtures were broken and numerous tiles were cracked and broken. The fountain at Pataya Klang area wasnt working and the surface coating is peeling - and generally looks a mess. At the end of the beach by the Thai airways office, the fountain is also broken and looks a complete eye sore. To add to this they were approached a number of times by Time Share touts, and couldnt help but notice the hookers soliciting passing ferangs.

To cut a long story short - they said they had never, in all their travels, seen such a disgusting mess. I felt quite ashamed!

Considering the TAT heavily promotes Pattaya as 'Pattaya Clean City' i was wondering if they feel any shame. Especially since 'face' is a prominent aspect of Thai culture!

I think it was 'First Choice', a big holiday firm in the UK which touted Pattaya in it's brochure as a 'family friendly, quiet Thai fishing village'. Seriously!

I've heard of families going there. One family I met on Samet once said they had gone there, but refused to get out of the taxi and asked the driver to take them somewhere without vice. Within an hour they were on a speed boat to Koh Samet. Did this at their own cost, don't know what happened when they got back to the UK.

I went to Pattaya earlier this year for two days and could not get out of the place fast enough. What a nightmare. I have no idea (apart from the obvious) why anyone would choose to live there.

Fortunately it is not Thailand. Although it projects a particularly bad image of Thailand and is an easy mark for any Thai bashing Western jouralist.

you cant understand why anybody would live here?(apart from the obvious).

you supercilious pratt, my familly and i live here ,and not for the obvious but because it has many things that we love ,and many of us are happy here , glad your sort are not coming back.

Married, lived in Thailand for 7 years. I know the place well. Have you tried living anywhere else in Thailand?

Don't bother to answer if you are not going to be civil.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the west winds begin in March or so, the west coast beaches on Phuket are just encrusted with garbage. Literally the entire lengths, at the high tide lines- about a meter wide.

Drive around and all you see is garbage, huge dump sites everywhere. In residential areas- households just toss it out the window and then once a week or so burn it, plastics and all.

Thais are so preoccupied with their appearance looking neat, and their vehicles too , but when it comes to true cleanliness, superficiality is the word that comes to mind.

How many Thais did you see today with their finger digging deeply into their nostril or blowing their nose into the wind. First time I saw that,I almost retched.

No small wonder they all have colds constantly.

LoS - Land of Superficiality

I can't agree more, the promanade along Pattaya's beach road has the makings of something to be enjoyed by all - sad that it is awash with the detritus that gets washed up in Pattaya.

If you build it, they will come. As the old saying goes.

These were my first views of Pattaya, has it changed so much?? :o Nignoy

In 1969 my father would rent me a horse on Pattaya beach for 5 baht an hour and I'd ride it all over, alone and across the street to our little bungalow 2 blocks from the beach - at he age of 8 .

Imagine doing that now.

I can't agree more, the promanade along Pattaya's beach road has the makings of something to be enjoyed by all - sad that it is awash with the detritus that gets washed up in Pattaya.

In 1969 my father would rent me a horse on Pattaya beach for 5 baht an hour and I'd ride it all over, alone and across the street to our little bungalow 2 blocks from the beach - at he age of 8 .

Imagine doing that now.

Right. I cannot understand this fixation with that place. I often find that many say they 'go to Thailand' when in fact they just go to Pattaya. For the obvious.

They also fit a particular profile.

Imagine doing that now.

Well, the only thing that's changed is the price and the type of rental. :o

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Why oh why aren't families going to Hua Hin or some other place, not to mention some islands?

Well, personally Hua Hin bores me to tears, and it's expensive at that. If I'd find myself in the Hua Hin area then I'd most certainly continue further south, starting at Prachuap town and beyond.

Whatever Pattaya may be, it ain't typical for Thailand.

And thank God for that. :o

So there we are, that statement would be a fine conclusion for this topic: Pattaya: It ain't typical Thailand.

Imagine doing that now.

Right. I cannot understand this fixation with that place. I often find that many say they 'go to Thailand' when in fact they just go to Pattaya. For the obvious.

the fixation for the place is as you say,possible not another place quite like it in the world.its a sex city pure and simple and thats what people go there for.i really like the place,lived there for 6 months but had enough after that,but still enjoy a re visit.i believe it grew from a fishing village and burgeoned into what it is today from the vietman war days as a place for the GI's to have Rand R.Personally i hope it stays the way it is and for what it is intended..........an ATM machine that supports Isaan.

Imagine doing that now.

the fixation for the place is as you say,possible not another place quite like it in the world.its a sex city pure and simple and thats what people go there for.i really like the place,lived there for 6 months but had enough after that,but still enjoy a re visit.i believe it grew from a fishing village and burgeoned into what it is today from the vietman war days as a place for the GI's to have Rand R.Personally i hope it stays the way it is and for what it is intended..........an ATM machine that supports Isaan.

Correct you are sir, in all you say. It does benefit Issan no end.

The chap that got the hump with me, perhaps he's a bit in denial, I apologise if I have offended, yet I speak as I find.

It's really no place for families, especially those with children.

Imagine doing that now.

Correct you are sir, in all you say. It does benefit Issan no end.

The chap that got the hump with me, perhaps he's a bit in denial, I apologise if I have offended, yet I speak as I find.

It's really no place for families, especially those with children.

Funny. I was at the Pattaya Sheraton this weekend and that was a 5 star hotel, magnificently appointed and had top service and food. Perhaps you anti-Pattaya whiners don't much get past the relics on Beach Road and the go go bars, which would account for your almost perverse obsession with the lower end of life there, and why you can't discuss other forms of quality lifestyles which are readily available in Pattaya and the surrounding area.

My Thai wife and I drive down to Pattaya 4 or 5 times a year, we both love Pattaya. Jomptien beach is a wonderful place to laze around , relax and unwind. And Pattaya nightlife is great, just to sit in a bar and have a couple of beers or so and watch people and let the world go by.

People who say everybody only go for the sex are wrong, believe me. We see and meet many families enjoying their holiday in Pattaya from all over the world!!!

:o

I've always enjoyed Pattaya. There is a lot to do and there are excellent restaurants. The first time I saw the place for what it really is was when I had my mother and another elderly lady visiting. They loved the place and we had a great time. The 'seedy' side is rather out of the way and I didn't take them there and they had no idea. Of course, when I am on my own, I've always bypassed everything and headed for the 'smut.'

Both Pattaya and Jomtien 'USE TO BE' great places....having holidayed there about 20 years ago and then visiting again recently.....one could only shake ones head :o ...place needs a really big brush run thru it!

Ahem: (and apologies for the repeat post) - Funny. I was at the Pattaya Sheraton this weekend and that was a 5 star hotel, magnificently appointed and had top service and food. Perhaps you anti-Pattaya whiners don't much get past the relics on Beach Road and the go go bars, which would account for your almost perverse obsession with the lower end of life there, and why you can't discuss other forms of quality lifestyles which are readily available in Pattaya and the surrounding area.

Surely this is the end of this conversation/thread. Complaints from those who can only see (or who want to salaciously dwell on) sleaze, followed by ripostes from those who see much more to Pattaya than the seamy side. What's more to say?

Imagine doing that now.

PMSL!!! HAHAHAA!

Imagine doing that now.

PMSL!!! HAHAHAA!

Yes inflation has got the better of it, its 300 baht an hour now to rent a whore,....OH sorry you said horse :D

Imagine doing that now.

PMSL!!! HAHAHAA!

Yes inflation has got the better of it, its 300 baht an hour now to rent a whore,....OH sorry you said horse :D

Jet skis. I meant: Jet Skis!

Sheesh. :D

Both Pattaya and Jomtien 'USE TO BE' great places....having holidayed there about 20 years ago and then visiting again recently.....one could only shake ones head :D ...place needs a really big brush run thru it!

Ahem: (and apologies for the repeat post) - Funny. I was at the Pattaya Sheraton this weekend and that was a 5 star hotel, magnificently appointed and had top service and food. Perhaps you anti-Pattaya whiners don't much get past the relics on Beach Road and the go go bars, which would account for your almost perverse obsession with the lower end of life there, and why you can't discuss other forms of quality lifestyles which are readily available in Pattaya and the surrounding area.

Surely this is the end of this conversation/thread. Complaints from those who can only see (or who want to salaciously dwell on) sleaze, followed by ripostes from those who see much more to Pattaya than the seamy side. What's more to say?

Sorry Sharecrapper, I didnt realise that I had to somehow arrive directly into my 5 star accodomodation without somehow passing through town at some time to comment on the poor condition of Pattaya and the surrounds these days. I can also assure you that I havent been into a beer bar for a very long time.....I don't drink & having been around thailand long enuf I don't need to sample that sceedy thing you seem so familiar with :o

One of the points i tried to make in my OP was that the TAT promotes Pattaya as a family seaside destination. I have seen many Indian, Korean, Arab etc etc. familys coming off the beach and one cant help but wonder how this goes to promote Pattaya or indeed Thailand.

What is the point of spending thier budget promting a false impression - surely non of these people/familys would return or indeed promote the place!

Would you care to explain?!

I think he is suggesting that Pattaya is an ideal holiday destination for sex tourists and football teams and should be honestly promoted as such. But that perhaps families may not enjoy being immersed in the the worlds largest brothel where even the surrounding ocean is a cesspool. Seemed pretty straight forward really.

Both Pattaya and Jomtien 'USE TO BE' great places....having holidayed there about 20 years ago and then visiting again recently.....one could only shake ones head :D ...place needs a really big brush run thru it!

You could stay in the Baghdad Sheraton and have the same experience. :D

Live in Pattaya if you want, even tell your friends at home about the quality lifestyle, but come on, why bother trying to kid anyone on this forum? The posts dwell on the sleaze for obvious reasons. There again I hear even Sodom and Gommorah had a lovely temple tour. :o

Following months of gentle persuasion, a good friend and his wife travelled from the Uk to spend thier summer vacation in Thailand whilst visiting me and the family. Once they had settled into their hotel they were both keen to take a stroll along the Pattaya beach. Mid way through our stroll i could see they werent at all impressed. The beach itself was heavily littered with all kinds of rubbish, and the promonade was mostly impassible due to puddles of water from last nights heavy rain. There was electrical wiring hanging out of - what i think must have been lamp stands which have been removed. Many of the new fixtures were broken and numerous tiles were cracked and broken. The fountain at Pataya Klang area wasnt working and the surface coating is peeling - and generally looks a mess. At the end of the beach by the Thai airways office, the fountain is also broken and looks a complete eye sore. To add to this they were approached a number of times by Time Share touts, and couldnt help but notice the hookers soliciting passing ferangs.

To cut a long story short - they said they had never, in all their travels, seen such a disgusting mess. I felt quite ashamed!

Considering the TAT heavily promotes Pattaya as 'Pattaya Clean City' i was wondering if they feel any shame. Especially since 'face' is a prominent aspect of Thai culture!

Well well - not at all suprized: a good riddence - the place is the pits - god only knows why anyone goes there for a "holiday".

Sorry Davyboy , not even attempting to be personal , but your post made me smile and chuckle somewhat . It came across to me that you go to Pataya to practise abstinance , my you are a dedicated fellow .

:D NOW you've got me chuckling dumball. :D:o

Pattaya is fine - what is remarkable is how many who whinge about it, if you don't like it stay away - leave it to those that do like it. Personally think Bangkok is a sh*tehole, but don't see me going in the Bangkok forum - constantly whinging about.

Fact is many families come and keep returning to Pattaya with all its warts and all. Every wkd - thai(s) jam up the expressway to come down to Pattaya from Bangkok. So at the end of the day - most thai(s) and farang(s) love Fun City. :o

OK OK, How bout we say...."Everyone that loves Pattaya, put on this red shirt & stand in that corner of the room" THEN "Everyone that hates Pattaya, put on this yellow shirt and stand in that corner of the room" & er everthings gonna be just fine :o

Pattaya is fine - what is remarkable is how many who whinge about it, if you don't like it stay away - leave it to those that do like it. Personally think Bangkok is a sh*tehole, but don't see me going in the Bangkok forum - constantly whinging about.

Fact is many families come and keep returning to Pattaya with all its warts and all. Every wkd - thai(s) jam up the expressway to come down to Pattaya from Bangkok. So at the end of the day - most thai(s) and farang(s) love Fun City. :o

Go back a few posts and you'll find my point was Pattaya had been advertised as 'a family friendly, quiet Thai fishing village' to regular holidaymakers in the UK.

Let's be honest, imagine their horror when they arrived.

I'm amazed people on here actually deny Pattaya is anything other than what it really is. I would like to add that, yes it does have P.I.C Kitchen and Jazz Pit and a Sheraton Hotel, so I concede it really is a 1st Class global destination. :D

The first time I came to Thailand, I was amazed at what a mess it was. I'm sure most who first land on these shores observed the same thing. It is just that with time, one gets sorta used to it, so it becomes sort of semi-normal.

You can go book yourself into a 5 star establishment, but quality? C'mon, you should get out more.

The problem i see is that during decades of economic growth, most of the money has been pocketed by the few, and the infrastructure that was built with what was left is of such poor quality that it falls apart pretty rapidly. So come a prolonged, deep downturn, one can just imagine what this place will look like in a few years time.....