Green Eggplant With Basil And Chilli

Newbee

I like eating Thai green eggplants fried with basil and chilli and small green round berry-like something, and when I saw a set at a supermarket today with all those vegs, I bought it immediately, hoping to find a recipe over the internet. the recipes from google were mostly for chicken-eggplant-green curry - coconut milk soup.

But the dish that I like is not a soup, so if the description above sounds anyhow familiar to anyone on the forum, I would appreciate the recipe. thanks!

It sounds like a variation of Pad Grapow. I've never had it in the form you refer to but Pad Grapow is a basic stirfry of Basil & Chilli usually with meat (in my experience).

Try googling it and if it sounds like what you are after adapt the recipes to suit you ingredients and taste.

i find it easiest to grind up some chilli and garlic. fry in a little oil until the flavours are released. add the meat (or eggplants in your case) and some oyster sauce. you may also need a tiny bit of water as well.

stir fry until cooked. add fish sauce, pepper and of course the basil leaves (at the end) etc to taste and thats it really. a little sugar may also be added.

dunno if thats 100% correct, but thats the way i do it and it always turns out ok.

It is entirely up to your tastbuds if it would work with eggplant (Aubergine). Although I wouldn't personally cook it with eggplant I think it would work out ok. Eggplants are relatively tastless and will take up the flavours that you add to the dish.

The best way to know if it works is to try it. If it doesn't work ask yourself why and go back to the drawing board.

These are Thai Eggplants:

post-25507-1216080591_thumb.jpg

I know of two types of "Thai" eggplants.One is a little LARGER then a pea and grows in clusters on a tree.The other is a little larger then a golf ball and grows individually on a bush.I like the pea sized ones the best.Here is a photo of the larger sized one that the wife planted about one month ago.The size of it in the photo is about 3/4 of an inch.You can see the flower also.It is of a light purple color.I will look through our photo bank to find some other photos when I have the time.

post-14263-1216082658_thumb.jpg

I like eating Thai green eggplants fried with basil and chilli and small green round berry-like something

But the dish that I like is not a soup, so if the description above sounds anyhow familiar to anyone on the forum, I would appreciate the recipe. thanks!

I think I know what you're talking about (ผัดมะเขือยาว), but it doesn't have the little green มะเขือพวง, does it?

post-16001-1216097668_thumb.jpg

Here's a recipe, but it's in Thai: มะเขือยาวผัดหมูสับ

It basically says to chop up a few cloves of garlic and some chillies, stir-ry in oil for a while, then throw in the chopped "makhuea" (eggplant-like veggies). When they start to get soft, add minced pork, stir-frying until it's cooked. Add water as you stir-fry if it starts to get too dry. Follow with some oyster sauce, fish sauce, Knorr seasoning, and sugar. For a more gooey texture add flour mixed with cold water. Throw in the "horapa" leaves last.

It basically says to chop up a few cloves of garlic and some chillies, stir-ry in oil for a while, then throw in the chopped "makhuea" (eggplant-like veggies). When they start to get soft, add minced pork, stir-frying until it's cooked. Add water as you stir-fry if it starts to get too dry. Follow with some oyster sauce, fish sauce, Knorr seasoning, and sugar. For a more gooey texture add flour mixed with cold water. Throw in the "horapa" leaves last.

Siamesekitty,

The horapa is a kind of Basil leaf isn't it? I think I heard this cook mention it on a radio programme when he was making Green Curry. I think he said it had a kind of clove type odour? Is it the same as Thai sweet basil?

Thank you all, I am off to the kitchen to start cooking.

Special thanks for the name of the green berries, google brought the correct images with a scary name of devil's fig

Bai Horapa ใบโหระพา is the same sweet basil you get when you order pho at a vietnamese restaurant. It's much milder than regular basil. pho3.jpg