Price Gauging Blacklist

ozsamurai

So you would like to turn this into a discussion on what is classed as a Farang, gee I haven't seen a million of those posts either!!

Dave In my OP, you will see I clearly said "I can understand 'local' and 'tourist' prices having worked in the tourism industry for most of my life". Yes Japanese are Farang along with every other nationality in the Thai books.

Japanese are not Farang (maybe you should ask a Thai person if you don't believe me).

In my opinion the "price gauging blacklist" should only including places that overcharge based on race. Not places that give a discount specifically to Thai nationals only.

I have been to museums back home where you get a discount if you live in the local area. Or universities where you get a discount if you live in that state.

The only places that i take exception to is places that just wave any asian looking people through with a discount, and then any non-asian looking people have to pay a higher price.

The following terms are used based on the observation of ones appearance..they are no comment or legal description of ones nationality

ญี่ปุ่น = japanese person (yippun)

ฝรั่ง = caucasian person (farang)

The following term is used in more of a legal context ie: thai citizen(there are farang and yippun thai citizens too) vs non thai citizen

ชาวต่างประเทศ = foreigner (chao dtaang bphra thaet)

Edited by kiakaha

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought there was room to start an NGO that helped poor farang who could not afford or who just complained endlessly about entrance fees in Thailand. Of course, this NGO would assist them in getting to the airport to fly out immediately and not return if they continued to complain.

I'll make sure I take along the Funk & Wagnalls when I take my next Japanese friend to the venue and see if I can't argue the point with the ticket collector, thanks for that!

You could tell them your name is Henri Dunant and they even named a road after you :o

How original, if you don't like it go home!! go debate your Khon Thai-ness in the other millions of threads.

Well, what if the Thai's don't like it either, what about my wife feeling embarrased at the ticket window because of the treatment her partner gets?

"Why does Daddy have to pay through the nose Mummy?"

"Oh don't worry son its just an accepted practise here and in many parts of the world, you know if we don't like it we could always move to Siberia"

In the US, state universities have one set of prices for residents of the state and a much higher price for non-residents. Public elementary or secondary schools are mostly free for residents of the local area; I don't even know if non-residents can attend, even if willing to pay for the attendance.

There are so many examples of different pricings for different things for residents vs non-residents, citizens vs non-citizens, that I don't think Thailand is unique in having different pricings based on different criteria. The only thing is that I think such different pricing should be made widely known so that people can choose whether to attend or not.

In the US, state universities have one set of prices for residents of the state and a much higher price for non-residents. Public elementary or secondary schools are mostly free for residents of the local area; I don't even know if non-residents can attend, even if willing to pay for the attendance.

There are so many examples of different pricings for different things for residents vs non-residents, citizens vs non-citizens, that I don't think Thailand is unique in having different pricings based on different criteria. The only thing is that I think such different pricing should be made widely known so that people can choose whether to attend or not.

Are you suggesting that someone should start a thread in which we can all contribute to a blacklist of venues operating a discriminatory pricing policy? :o:D

I always thought there was room to start an NGO that helped poor farang who could not afford or who just complained endlessly about entrance fees in Thailand. Of course, this NGO would assist them in getting to the airport to fly out immediately and not return if they continued to complain.

Regarding your previous post, when you speak about rich farangs, I wonder how we stack up compared to the top 40 richest Thais families, one of which owns Central. If you want to protest the 5% discount, then I suggest it's up to the Thais to boycott Central not us. Perhaps Central realised that it made smart business sense to offer discounts to tourists as opposed to the oft held practice of gouging tourists - because they are tourists.

And citing your example above, I guess we all know what would happen if all the farangs left.

for sure, that was what this thread was started for, but as usual the TVers hijack it into a personal, I am more Thai than you because I can handle it.... It was a list, go or not go, these are your choices. List away, if you feel it is discriminatory for any reason. We even had one that is biased against Thai.... thats all good too, I don't want to take my family there either!

The worst offfender is Central Department Stores who give a 5% discount to tourists. This double pricing scheme is intolerable. Why shouldn't tourists pay just as much as Thais do?

There is also a 5% discount for Thais at Central which is just marketed differently - many Thais have a "Central Card" which gives them 5% discount.

Tourists can also get a VAT refund at Central if their purchases total more than x,000 baht (not sure of the exact amount).

Bender doesn't give a toss about other 'farang'

But seriously Bendix, you and lanna and a few others, despite your flair for turning a phrase, really don't contribute much to stimulate erudite discourse among among the unitiated.

Bendix

True, very true.

.......... It's rather like casting pearls before swine.

Maybe the cards should be returned....

The OP started with a comparison charge for a service of 80 to 500 ratio, this is not a price rise every year. The large stickers on the window do not say anything except 500 Baht, Thai have to ask, where they are told quietly while farang are not listening its 80. Its deception in a business practise plain and simple, whinge, no, avoid yes!

If I was to sit here and go on and on with snide remarks about how much this is wasting my time, now thats whinging! lol

Oz

True. I don't care about other farang. I care about me, my wife and immediate family. Oh, and some friends. Why I should care about a bunch of whining malcontents who spend all their time compaining how life is so unfair here, I have no idea.

Ozsamurai's post clearly shows that, logically, the price isn't increased for farang. It is, in fact, 500 entry fee, discounted to 80 baht for citizens. :o

There . . that wasn't hard, was it? If you need a whip-round to get you into the parks, I'd be happy to help out.

In the US one can get the state resident price for uni by living in that state for just one yr. You then can finish school at the resident rate. Unless of course you are an international student and don't pay taxes in the US, then you will have a much harder time getting the cheaper rate.

As for elementary and high school, the kids go to school in the district within which their folks live and pay taxes. The differences in taxes paid between neighboring districts can be huge. The quality of the schools usually reflects this as well. If parents in one district are paying $25,000 per yr in property taxes and the people down the road in the next district only pay $3,000 then its only fair that the kids stick to their respective schools if they don't want to pay extra for private school.

The case of double pricing that the OP brought up is double pricing based purely on skin color and nationality, which of course is the Thais right to do, but it's also our right to discuss which places practice this so we can avoid them. In fact I think the place he describes is privately owned and not payed for by the tax-payers. The Phuket Zoo is another example of a private business charging 500 baht for farang and 50-80 baht for Thais. These are not national parks we are talking about.

As far as the Phuket Zoo is concerned, I wouldn't pay even 50 baht to see the sad depressing condition of those poor animals so 500 is laughable to me double pricing or not. Thats just me though.

while ethnic Thais born in Sweden or Somali or St. Louis pay the foreigner price.

my ethnically thai wife, born raised and schooled in New Zealand gets the thai price (but she also has dual citizenship and enters thailand on her thai passport).

while ethnic Thais born in Sweden or Somali or St. Louis pay the foreigner price.

my ethnically thai wife, born raised and schooled in New Zealand gets the thai price (but she also has dual citizenship and enters thailand on her thai passport).

Exactly, there is no ethnic or racial component involved in pricing in Thailand.

True. I don't care about other farang. I care about me, my wife and immediate family. Oh, and some friends. Why I should care about a bunch of whining malcontents who spend all their time compaining how life is so unfair here, I have no idea.

Ozsamurai's post clearly shows that, logically, the price isn't increased for farang. It is, in fact, 500 entry fee, discounted to 80 baht for citizens. :D

There . . that wasn't hard, was it? If you need a whip-round to get you into the parks, I'd be happy to help out.

Bender :o

I loved that term when I was a kid and didn't know what it meant. I haven't heard it in over twenty years, maybe thirty.

Overcharging does happen here, and I hate it. I wouldn't expect Bendix to agree, as he was one of the most vocal supporters of the taxi mafia (another Thai rip-off, just like many other places, but hey this is Thai visa, not Bangladeshi visa).

I particularly dislike paying 400% of the Thai price when I jump on a third class train (whether I ask nicely in Thai or not [sunrise]) with my local driving license. Government supported xenophobic and prejudiced piss takers...

But, as my mate Benders would say; 'Serve your right for not owning a car!' If I was wealthier I'd have to agree with him...

Exactly, there is no ethnic or racial component involved in pricing in Thailand.

Absolute <deleted>.

I've discussed this term with my Thai colleagues (the most junior has a masters from Chula), with the result that we all agree - Thai pricing is xenophobic (racial component) and prejudiced, but not racist.

I know that the sun shines brightly in Thailand, but please remove your shades (blinkers?) and have a proper look around you.

Edited by jasreeve17

You admitedly dont give a toss for farang but are willing to have a whip around just for me? How sweet!!

So what do you all say to your Thai halves, or your kids when Dad gets treated differently because of his skin color, how do you justify this to your family?

No one has posted an example of a price difference based on race yet. We're waiting...

Jump on a train from Thonburi to Kanchanaburi, non Thais will pay an increased (not discounted) price of 400% because of their race. Thai driving license, work permit, proof of paying tax and speaking Thai will not help. Company policy (I've checked with head office due to my disbelief).

Bender :o

I loved that term when I was a kid and didn't know what it meant. I haven't heard it in over twenty years, maybe thirty.

Overcharging does happen here, and I hate it. I wouldn't expect Bendix to agree, as he was one of the most vocal supporters of the taxi mafia (another Thai rip-off, just like many other places, but hey this is Thai visa, not Bangladeshi visa).

I particularly dislike paying 400% of the Thai price when I jump on a third class train (whether I ask nicely in Thai or not [sunrise]) with my local driving license. Government supported xenophobic and prejudiced piss takers...

But, as my mate Benders would say; 'Serve your right for not owning a car!' If I was wealthier I'd have to agree with him...

Actually, I'm not a defender of the Taxi mafia. I have been known on more than one occasion to warn unsuspecting punters on soi 11 from getting into the mafia cabs outside the Grand President. I think those guys are scum.

re taxis my position has never changed. Forewarned is forearmed, and caveat emptor. In around 100 trips from the airport in the last 4 years, I've only had one guy pull the taxi doesnt work stunt. We got home and I said, how much (knowing what the price should be) and he said 'up to you'. So I gave him 50 baht less than the meter fare. Well, it was his idea . . .

And in around 400 taxi rides in Bangkok in total, I've had maybe 4 drivers try it on. Each time I've got out walked away and left the back door open. It's very very simple.

My argument is simple. It isnt as prevalent as people make out and it's easy to overcome it if you have more than half an ounce of smarts about you.

No one has posted an example of a price difference based on race yet. We're waiting...

Jump on a train from Thonburi to Kanchanaburi, non Thais will pay an increased (not discounted) price of 400% because of their race. Thai driving license, work permit, proof of paying tax and speaking Thai will not help. Company policy (I've checked with head office due to my disbelief).

I seriously doubt if a farang-Thai or an Indian-Thai or a Chinese-Thai would have to pay any more than an Issan Lao on the train. It is based on nationality and even then lots of us slide by. No race involved!

You admitedly dont give a toss for farang but are willing to have a whip around just for me? How sweet!!

So what do you all say to your Thai halves, or your kids when Dad gets treated differently because of his skin color, how do you justify this to your family?

I'm trying to recall when it happened. I went to the Ancient City place with Mrs B a few months ago. I showed my thai driving licence and got in for thai price. I think i got charged more in Ayudyha a year or so ago, but it was so trifling that it wasnt worth ruining a lovely day over. Other examples . . I dunno. Mrs B does all the shopping, buys the DVDs etc etc, so I'm not sure how it can happen there. I pay the meter rates in taxis, the menu price (with Mrs :o in restaurants.

I suppose it happens now and again. Perhaps I'm just more happy-go-lucky than you :-)

I do get paid considerably more than a Thai would doing the same job, so I suppose I'm discriminated there. I'll try to remedy that forthwith.

I can understand 'local' and 'tourist' prices having worked in the tourism industry for most of my life, but I am getting sick of having my days outing ruined by the fact of feeling like I have been ripped royally off because I'm Farang. So post your Blacklist here, warna brother.

Start the list:

Saphan Elephant Show & Zoo

Locals 80Baht

Farang 500Baht

double I could swallow, over 500%, thats rough, even the Japanese were complaining!!

Well its a tourist place isnt it? In general a tourist place is where people will go for a short amount of time and spends lots of money to have a good time.

Away from the tourist places you will pay thai prices, example would be restaurants, 711, tescos, petrol stations etc etc

If you dont like getting ripped off stay away from tourist places!

I do get paid considerably more than a Thai would doing the same job

Ahh bendix just hit the nail on the head! I assume the thais are pissed off with farang getting paid more money than them for the same job, so therefore charge us more. Fair play if you look at it that way!