Registering A Baby With The Uk Embassy

LuckyLucas

Hello All

My daughter's turned 6 months so I need to regsiter her with the uk embassy in bangkok. I'm on the birth certificate and all is above board. We live in Jomtien and I wonder am I best using one of the visa shop things or are they a rip off.

Whats the process if I do it myslef and how much will it cost?

many thanks to anyone who can help me

and cheers to all on here

LL

Hello All

My daughter's turned 6 months so I need to regsiter her with the uk embassy in bangkok. I'm on the birth certificate and all is above board. We live in Jomtien and I wonder am I best using one of the visa shop things or are they a rip off.

LL

I heard that the UK Embassy now has a more permanent Pattaya presence and have leased office space in a building close to Jomtien Immigration office. I you can field your registration question there, I am interested if they can process a birth registration locally or if you still need to personally take the paper trail to their Bangkok 'head office'. I am overseas right now but the sprog will be 4 months old when I get back next month and it would be handy if I could avoid Bangkok trips to get him 'street legal' for the UK.

The links the scouser posted should answer your paperwork and cost questions, just need to know if it can be done in Pattaya. IMHO, the 'visa shops' are to be avoided, even for visas!

Thanks,

NL

Hello All

LL

I heard that the UK Embassy now has a more permanent Pattaya presence and have leased office space in a building close to Jomtien Immigration office. I you can field your registration question there, I am interested if they can process a birth registration locally or if you still need to personally take the paper trail to their Bangkok 'head office'. I am overseas right now but the sprog will be 4 months old when I get back next month and it would be handy if I could avoid Bangkok trips to get him 'street legal' for the UK.

The links the scouser posted should answer your paperwork and cost questions, just need to know if it can be done in Pattaya. IMHO, the 'visa shops' are to be avoided, even for visas!

Thanks,

NL

I registered my daughters birth at the British High Com in Bangkok recently. Was easy. Just turned up with her and my birth certs. Follow the instructions at the web site and you'll be fine. There are no hidden complications or requirements. I got a passport for her at the same time and it cost about THB11,000 all in with the birth register and a UK birth certificate.

• 7 months later...
Hello All

I registered my daughters birth at the British High Com in Bangkok recently. Was easy. Just turned up with her and my birth certs. Follow the instructions at the web site and you'll be fine. There are no hidden complications or requirements. I got a passport for her at the same time and it cost about THB11,000 all in with the birth register and a UK birth certificate.

How long did it take?

• 5 weeks later...

As I understand, the only benefit for registering the birth with the British Embassy is to obtain a British Birth Certificate. If that is important to you then register the birth. If not, the Thai birth certificate will do nicely. You do not need to register the birth in order to obtain a British Passport for your child.

• 10 months later...

Hello.

I am hoping to get my family back from Thailand to the UK in a few months time. Basically, I was wondering if it is necessary to register my Son's birth. I sorted out his passport about a year ago, and as it was about 10,000 baht, I decided against registering him at that time. Now, as I am needing all the money I can get to sort out visa's, etc...I waould like to know if he would be at a disadvantage when I get back to the UK. Can it be done there, for a cheaper price? Is it simply to get an English birth certificate, or will there be other advantages to it, needed when residing in the Uk (eg registering him with a doctor, child benefit, etc..)

Thanks if anyine can help!

There is no problem with doing it at a later time. The advantage is that he will be able to get a birth certificate from the UK in the cases where he will need one and doesn't have to get one from Thailand and go through the whole process of legalization of the document.

Hi. Thanks for the quick response. So I will actually need to get one then? I am thinking, for example, when claiming child benefit they need to see an original birth certificate - I guess a translated Thia birth cert. would not be enough. If I do require one when living in the UK then I guess it's best just to get it done anyway?

No, the Thai is enough. But each time you need to supply an official copy, you will need one to get from Thailand and have it legalized. If you also get a British one, you can just get one in Britain. So in the end it is easier, but not required.