Is Anything Being Done To Improve Internet Service?

heybruce

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in this forum, but I can't find it--is anything being done about the limitiations on internet service in Thailand? Or is inadequate bandwidth for high-speed, reliable internet with the rest of the world going to be with us indefinitely?

Things in Thailand are moving fast. The demand is just moving faster.

Thailand moved a long way over the past 20 years. Where I began to come here.

At the moment I would say Thailand is 5-8 years behind Europe/US in terms of internet, but they are getting there.

Just don't expect to see reliability/bandwidth like Europe/US out-of-the-box. There are several ways to improve your internet experience. Keep reading the boards here and elsewhere for ideas and suggestions.

According to my speedtests, the speed and bandwidth within Thailand is exactly what is advertised. It's the international access that is the bottleneck. CAT is currently a partner in a venture with AT&T and the big Hong Kong phone company and I think Singapore, laying a new undersea cable to the west coast of the US. This will give CAT access to more international bandwidth, and should help the situation.

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in this forum, but I can't find it--is anything being done about the limitiations on internet service in Thailand? Or is inadequate bandwidth for high-speed, reliable internet with the rest of the world going to be with us indefinitely?

For the first time in many years we had a major slow down yesterday with our ASDL provider (True). So I rang their call center and asked by my 4mbs line was down to 3600baud?

Within minutes the answer came "We have major problems at the moment with all our Dslam's across Bangkok". The outcome was they reset our port and all is back to normal within minutes. However I take it they are not going out of their way to fix the issues unless you call them.