Desktop Computer Died

Gary A

My desktop would start and the lights would blink but there was nothing on the monitor. I figured it was the video card.

I took the computer to my favorite little shop in Loei. I really like that shop because he drops everything and starts working on my computer. The first thing he did was to swap out the video card. That did nothing. He was wiggling this and that and started scratching his head. I wandered off looking at new computers and picking up some other items that I needed. I saw him walk by holding and looking at a little black rectangular piece in his hand. He went upstairs and finally came back down. The longer it was taking, the more I believed it was something serious like maybe the mother board. I bought some CD's and other small items and put them on the counter. He motioned for me to go look at the computer. It was working. He added up my purchases and I asked him how much to repair the computer. He told me that I was a good customer and the repair was free. I don't know what he replaced and couldn't understand what he was telling me. All I could understand was that a piece was broken.

All is well and it is working fine. No new computer for me yet.

Guest Reimar

One of our standard procedure, if problems like that happens, is to clean all connector feet's with an pencil rubber which not includes all memory banks but the feet's of the inserted card as well. We also using the good old Video Spray (the one which was used to clean the head from Video Recorders in the past) to clean the connector slots also.

Cheers.

Before I took the computer to the shop, I pulled out the RAM boards and the video card. I used a pencil type ink eraser and shined up all the connectors. That did no good.

I took the side cover off when I got home and looked for the part he had in his hand. I could see nothing that looked like it. Now I wish I would have stood and watched him closer. Anyways all is going well and hopefully the computer will continue to run well.

Guest Reimar
Before I took the computer to the shop, I pulled out the RAM boards and the video card. I used a pencil type ink eraser and shined up all the connectors. That did no good.

I took the side cover off when I got home and looked for the part he had in his hand. I could see nothing that looked like it. Now I wish I would have stood and watched him closer. Anyways all is going well and hopefully the computer will continue to run well.

That really good for you! Solved problems are the best! And it's real good for you to have such technican around.

Cheers.

Probably one of the 2nd hand parts that was in it when he sold you it. :D

Not likely since I had it built in the US and hand carried it over here. :o

Hmmz, evasion of import tax. I'd be carefull posting that on here, the police are quite within their rights to come and take the whole system off you without notice or warrant. :D

Case in point. Not everyone is out to rip off all foreigners.

Thanks for posting this. A breath of fresh air.

For sure, businesses who don't dual price should be given some sort of sticker to put in the window along the lines of "I don't try and screw every last baht out of foreign customers"... Think it would take off? :o

Case in point. Not everyone is out to rip off all foreigners.

Thanks for posting this. A breath of fresh air.

For sure, businesses who don't dual price should be given some sort of sticker to put in the window along the lines of "I don't try and screw every last baht out of foreign customers"... Think it would take off? :o

I think that'll be a hit.

I can see myself lining up on such an establishment.

Could be a business opp for someone, a paid directory of non-robbing businesses..

Although Bangkok is ok for the most part if your prepared to haggle a little, places like Pattaya are getting out of control. I guy I know wanted a SUV sized hole digging in his garden for a pond, all he wanted doing was the ground work, the people he got round to price it up wouldn't go lower than 50'000.... A nice wack for 2 or 3 guys with some spades for a few days :o

Had something similar happen to me a few weeks ago. Hauled it down to the good folks at Hardware House at Seacon. Plugged it in and everything a-okay. Turned out that my monitor (the last one in my house still using a tube in a box setup) had died and not my computer.

Glad I didn't try "fixing" it myself.

:o

He told me that I was a good customer and the repair was free.

He dropped what he was doing to immediately attend to your computer and then he does the work for free in recognition of your regular custom.

We need more business owners like him. I hope that you continue to support his business and spread the good word about him.

Glad to hear old trusty is still running Gary. Probably a loose wire- last time mine had a problem it was a bad connection where the memory chips plugged in. My shop usually does over half the repairs for free also. I send him work now & then & people purchase computers there also because he is very nice & does good work.