Multiple Entries Vs. Double Entry

Dave: I visited the Thai Consulate office in New York. I was told that I would have no problem getting a 1-year multiple entry visa or a double entry. Since I want to stay a total of 6 months which is a better visa? Also, when I arrive in BKK do I "ask" for 90 days or am I giving 90 days automatically? If I ask for the double entry visa, will I get a 90 day permit? Many thanks..

I don't know who you are talking to (first post in thread) but a "multi" entry visa refers to a non immigrant type (O or B most likely) and not a tourist visa. A tourist visa is only issued with a specific number of entries allowed.

A tourist visa provides a stamp for 60 days (for USA passport) and a non immigrant visa a stamp for 90 days.

A two entry tourist visa would provide a 60 day stay (which could be extended 30 days) and a second 60 day stay (which would be extended 30 days). It would require an exit/return during validity for the second entry.

I don't know who you are talking to (first post in thread) but a "multi" entry visa refers to a non immigrant type (O or B most likely) and not a tourist visa. A tourist visa is only issued with a specific number of entries allowed.

A tourist visa provides a stamp for 60 days (for USA passport) and a non immigrant visa a stamp for 90 days.

A two entry tourist visa would provide a 60 day stay (which could be extended 30 days) and a second 60 day stay (which would be extended 30 days). It would require an exit/return during validity for the second entry.

I have a question lopburi sir. I am UK citizen, i have work permit since April 7th here in Phuket and a 1 year multi entry non imigrant B. Why do i still only always get 90 days? I am told i have to do he Ranong visa run, yet a friend of mine who also has same visa and work permit gets to stay a whole year, and only has to get to immigration for 90 days report. Is this as he is Belgian and i am UK? Or is there some other reason? Cheers!

I have a question lopburi sir. I am UK citizen, i have work permit since April 7th here in Phuket and a 1 year multi entry non imigrant B. Why do i still only always get 90 days? I am told i have to do he Ranong visa run, yet a friend of mine who also has same visa and work permit gets to stay a whole year, and only has to get to immigration for 90 days report. Is this as he is Belgian and i am UK? Or is there some other reason? Cheers!

A multiple entry visa only allows 90 day stays. Thus, your work permit cannot exceed 90 days. Time to talk to the emloyer and/or their lawyers.

Thank lopburi3. I will ask for two entry tourist get a 60 day stay and get an extension for 30 days. The same for the second 60 day stay. Do I get the extension in BKK? I will be in Chiang Mai, can I get it there. I have no problem leaving and returning for the second entry. Thank you..!

I have a question lopburi sir. I am UK citizen,

Your friend has a one year extension of stay from Immigration. You do not. If your employment allows a one year extension of stay it only costs 1,900 baht per year and would be what you should get. You must meet income requirements and your employer must have paperwork that will allow one year extension of stay. You can check on requirements at your Immigration office if your employer can not provide you the information.

Thank lopburi3. I will ask for two entry tourist get a 60 day stay and get an extension for 30 days. The same for the second 60 day stay. Do I get the extension in BKK? I will be in Chiang Mai, can I get it there. I have no problem leaving and returning for the second entry. Thank you..!

You can obtain in Chiang Mai. Pay attention to the validity period of visa as it could be 3 or 6 months from date of issue and you must make second entry before it expires.