Retirement Visa Extention

my retirement visa expires in jan.2009.I have been advised that i have to top up my thailand bank account back up to 800,000 baht 3 months prior to the expiry date of visa.Does anyone one know if this is still the case or can the account be topped up just prior to expiry date?And if the account is topped up 3 months prior to expiry date am assuming you are not expected to have the same amoun(i.e.800,000) when re applying for another year extension.Any advice appreciated.

my retirement visa expires in jan.2009.I have been advised that i have to top up my thailand bank account back up to 800,000 baht 3 months prior to the expiry date of visa.Does anyone one know if this is still the case or can the account be topped up just prior to expiry date?And if the account is topped up 3 months prior to expiry date am assuming you are not expected to have the same amoun(i.e.800,000) when re applying for another year extension.Any advice appreciated.

If you are only counting on cash in bank to extend your visa, yes the money has to be there for 3 months & yes the money has to be there intact for that period.If you are funded eg: overseas monthly income,then you only have to show that you have brought into the country the required amount.So say you have brought in 500,000.00 Bht, then you only have to top up just prior to renewal , the 3 months criteria does not apply.

But then it depends on their mood on that particular day.

Edited by Rooo

When using 800k only it must be in the account for the previous three months at or above that level. There is no requirement that it be new money.

When using pension only the certification of amount from your Embassy is required (at Bangkok). There is no requirement for any money transfer proof. Other locations may add some conditions from reports here.

If you are only counting on cash in bank to extend your visa, yes the money has to be there for 3 months & yes the money has to be there intact for that period.If you are funded eg: overseas monthly income,then you only have to show that you have brought into the country the required amount.So say you have brought in 500,000.00 Bht, then you only have to top up just prior to renewal , the 3 months criteria does not apply.

But then it depends on their mood on that particular day.

ok Rooo many thanks reply.

Late last year I was told the exact same thing at Jomtien immigration: the three month rule (for those using the 800k in the bank) only applies to first time extensions, not subsequent ones. As far as I know, this is limited to Jomtien. I am actively looking for more actual cases of people who tested the rule. The line admins on this board are saying about officers saying "OK this time, but consider yourself warned for next time" is not happening at Jomtien and for Jomtien people, I consider that misinformation. There have been several such reports here from Jomtien of people being told exactly what I was told. But this tale of a 2 month before being OK THIS YEAR, this is the best report yet of someone who actually tested the actual enforcement there. Thanks! The acid test will be an actual report of an approved person topping off a few days before their meeting, still waiting for that.

For those who want to talk about the very specific situation at Jomtien, as it does not apply to those using other offices, may I suggest having a look here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Jomtien-Imm-...&hl=sincere

Note: is the OP starting on an O-A? In that case, even at Jomtien, if applying for a FIRST time extension, the 3 month rule would indeed apply.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...
At Pattaya Immigration I topped mine up 2 weeks before and the Officer there told me renewals are OK and no need for having the money there 90 days prior. But the first issue they require it there there 90 days prior but TIT and YMMV

Could you state the month and year this happened? I was clearly told late last year it was OK to NOT season the money for subsequent extensions. Now we have another report of a denial based on not seasoning (in another thread). What is really happening?

When using 800k only it must be in the account for the previous three months at or above that level. There is no requirement that it be new money.

When using pension only the certification of amount from your Embassy is required (at Bangkok). There is no requirement for any money transfer proof. Other locations may add some conditions from reports here.

Lop,

I topped off my account 3 months before the expiration of the visa but as I will be out of the country at time of expiration, I would like to go renew it now (1 1/2 months before expiration). Will it be a problem that I didn't transfer funds in 3 months prior to the date I show up to extend or will it be OK since it was 3 mos befiore the expiration date?? Thanks

• 1 month later...

Update; It was NOT OK and I did not get the renewal when requested at Suan Phlu. Waited until 5 days before expiration of the visa, at which point money had been in the bank just a week short of 3 months, and applied at the Aranyaprathet office and while they did check how long the money had been there, they didn't quibble over 1 week and gave me the visa.

As far as I can tell the 3 month bit does apply to extensions (even 5th one in a row) and is being enforced. There does seem to be some small flexibility e.g. if it's just a few days short of a full 3 months, but that's all.

Given all this frustration and difficulty in ensuring the timely arrivals of transfers into the country (that part being the fault of my bank in farangland...and various new legislation) I am thinking of just making one transfer in and stashing it in a longer term interest bearing account for use at each extension in futurte.

Anyone know:

1) if there is any reason I can't do that?

2) if there are any restrictions ion tyope of account?

Thanks...

Given all this frustration and difficulty in ensuring the timely arrivals of transfers into the country (that part being the fault of my bank in farangland...and various new legislation) I am thinking of just making one transfer in and stashing it in a longer term interest bearing account for use at each extension in futurte.

Anyone know:

1) if there is any reason I can't do that?

2) if there are any restrictions ion tyope of account?

Thanks...

There have been a lot of reports in the past of members doing this.

Immigration probably will want to see another bank book showing some kind of movements in and out.

800,000 Baht in a fixed interest account seems to be accepted by most offices.

It's the accounts with some amount of risk attached they do not like.

As you know all this could be different where you apply.