Construction At Nai Harn Lake

g00dgirl

They have been clearing an area of land next to the lake at Nai Harn, the area that had been used to dump rubbish and tree cuttings for quite a while.

Does anyone know what they are going to build there?

They have been clearing an area of land next to the lake at Nai Harn, the area that had been used to dump rubbish and tree cuttings for quite a while.

Does anyone know what they are going to build there?

anyone for craps?

My money says.............................a 7-11

I'm sad to see the posts so far are mainly complaints or jokes about the country we choose to stay in and where the majority of us are guests.

I can understand that it might be tempting and I might forget myself sometimes, but let's not forget it. My post was very neutral, the dumping of rubbish was a simple fact stated without being a complaint.

muaythaifarang, have you donated to the Wat yet?

It would be great if only people posted who can actually contribute with information.

I'm sad to see the posts so far are mainly complaints or jokes about the country we choose to stay in and where the majority of us are guests.

I can understand that it might be tempting and I might forget myself sometimes, but let's not forget it. My post was very neutral, the dumping of rubbish was a simple fact stated without being a complaint.

It would be great if only people posted who can actually contribute with information.

Well then you won't get any responses, go ask the Orb-a-Jor.

No sense of humor or ability to handle random posts? Sounds like the soapbox you are on is getting a little slippery.

Tired of hearing this crap.

We are not guests. Guests are people you have over to dinner. Guests get invitations. Guests have responsibilities as does the host.

We are all long term, or, short term tourists, not guests and as tourists (consumers of a product) we have a right to complain.

Edited by Sir Burr

Could be the or bor tor decided to clean up the eyesore.  Speaking of the lake, what is being built across the lake from the now clean plot of land.  Is that a hotel, resort, or private residence being built in the side of the hill on the westside of the lake?

Edited by steelepulse

We ARE guests and we have little or no RIGHTS. If you loose sight of that then it's time you either went back home or found another adoptive country. I never ever forget that I AM a GUEST here in Thailand, despite being a Thai taxpayer.

100% correct :o

Could be the or bor tor decided to clean up the eyesore. Speaking of the lake, what is being built across the lake from the now clean plot of land. Is that a hotel, resort, or private residence being built in the side of the hill on the westside of the lake?

Residence, went by to flog some product and was informed. Nice pad !!!

We ARE guests and we have little or no RIGHTS. If you loose sight of that then it's time you either went back home or found another adoptive country. I never ever forget that I AM a GUEST here in Thailand, despite being a Thai taxpayer.
100% correct :o

You people stay as guests then; I'll stay as a long term tourist (non-tax payer) and retain my right to complain.

Everybody happy.

Could be the or bor tor decided to clean up the eyesore.  Speaking of the lake, what is being built across the lake from the now clean plot of land.  Is that a hotel, resort, or private residence being built in the side of the hill on the westside of the lake?

Thank you for keeping on topic steelepulse, it doesn't look like a pure clean-up to me because that there are clear, straight borders of the part that's being cleared, the earth is being moved to be level and all vegetation is removed within these borders.

On the opposite side of the lake I believe it's going to be a hotel, there's a new blue sign in front where they are building a road leading up the site, I forgot the name on the sign now, I think it's some known hotel chain.

Regarding the right to complain, it's fine to have a debate about it, I think there is at least one other current thread about the complaining issue where we can debate it with many others who are interested.

When people talk like this I wonder how many countries they have lived ? When does the country where you live stop being a 'host' and start being home.. I am now at 6 going on 7 years here (fresh of the boat to many) and the longest place I have ever lived in one place for in my entire life was 8 years.. So soon I will have lived here on Phuket for longer than anywhere else is the world.

I was born in one country.. at a few months old moved to a second.. Age 4 to a 3rd.. multiple places there and my passport has that cover.. Then since late teens theres been stateside, years in mainland Europe, N africa, and years now in Thailand. Where is this mythical 'home' I am supposed to head back to ?? This is home.

I am a resident here, I may not be a citizen and I may not have full rights but this is where I live, thats not a 'guest' to me.

I am a resident here, I may not be a citizen and I may not have full rights but this is where I live, thats not a 'guest' to me.

Seems to me something of a lame debate over terminology.

Doesn't farang cover it? "Guest"? Yeah, tell that to the boys in brown next time they stop you. "khatord khrap, don't give me that ticket, I'm a guest"..........

Could be the or bor tor decided to clean up the eyesore. Speaking of the lake, what is being built across the lake from the now clean plot of land. Is that a hotel, resort, or private residence being built in the side of the hill on the westside of the lake?

On the opposite side of the lake I believe it's going to be a hotel, there's a new blue sign in front where they are building a road leading up the site, I forgot the name on the sign now, I think it's some known hotel chain.

The sign says "All Season's Resort" and that is the old Sabana Resort on the beach at Nai Hairn.

I would heartily disagree to this (as I have on several occasions); a 'guest' is somebody who is invited by the host, a favored individual who gets special treatment. He has the responsibility to be polite, maybe bring a gift or two and be generally amicable, but a guest would have the same rights extended under the roof as the owner of the house itself.

What LivinginKata describes is something entirely different than a guest:

Because we are simply customers -- because this is all what the Thais wish to extend to us: a service instead of an invitation. We are wanted here to spend our money, can be sent back at any whim -- which gives us the right to complain about every lacking service and to merely follow the rules with as little effort as possible (because else we will have to pay more).

I of course would happily hear examples that would make my first statement true(er) than the last.

The sign says "All Season's Resort" and that is the old Sabana Resort on the beach at Nai Hairn.

Ah ok, I didn't know about the Sabana resort having been renamed, then I have no idea what the construction opposite of the cleared land is.

I would heartily disagree to this (as I have on several occasions); a 'guest' is somebody who is invited by the host, a favored individual who gets special treatment. He has the responsibility to be polite, maybe bring a gift or two and be generally amicable, but a guest would have the same rights extended under the roof as the owner of the house itself.

What LivinginKata describes is something entirely different than a guest:

Because we are simply customers -- because this is all what the Thais wish to extend to us: a service instead of an invitation. We are wanted here to spend our money, can be sent back at any whim -- which gives us the right to complain about every lacking service and to merely follow the rules with as little effort as possible (because else we will have to pay more).

I of course would happily hear examples that would make my first statement true(er) than the last.

Well, this morning i was out for my morning jog and decided to follow some little used roads up by the Big Buddha. (i headed north) I went pretty far and ended up maybe 4 - 5 miles out there and came upon a small shack/house with a nice view. A man was leaving and was so nice to me. I thought he'd give me lip for trespassing. Instead, he offered me water and when i told him he had a nice property, he showed me around a bit.

I just can't imagine that kind of hospitality in my country (US)to the foreign people there (Mexican's anyway)

I think the Thai people are very nice most of the time. The ones that are not seem to be the ones that work in the tourist industry and get treated rudely by the tourists so, it rubs off and they get rude back. Go into the countryside/mountainside or even off the island. I think you will find the Thai people very hospitable and friendly.

I always try to respect their ways and consider myself a guest in their country. I know a few farangs who don't look at it like that though.

I'd rather see the glass half full same as HB.

Getting back to orig posting, what is the construction then? Anybody found out?

Today I saw a green government sign with white writing all in Thai at the site. So if anybody has a Thai friend that can read that, I'll bet we get the scoop. I'm guessing it says something about fines for illegal dumping.

Sorry, I'm not that up to speed on my Thai reading skills, in fact, I have none at all......

HI

They will not build there (now) just cleaned up the place

considering how many locals use that area as the beginning point for a run around the lake, it would be great to have some grass, chin up bars, sit up benches, sort of a stretching /exercise area right there.

Anyone know the process of starting such? Orb-a-jor I suppose?

HI

They will not build there (now) just cleaned up the place

considering how many locals use that area as the beginning point for a run around the lake, it would be great to have some grass, chin up bars, sit up benches, sort of a stretching /exercise area right there.

Anyone know the process of starting such? Orb-a-jor I suppose?

I think a nice Indian or Chinese restaurant would be a better idea - none in Nai Harn or Rawai as far as I can see.