A Farewell To Pattaya: More People To Leave?

libya 115

Could not agree more, but if you believe all the real estate people in the area, Pattaya is a terrific place just 30 mins from Suvarnabhumi (didn't know that they meant that slogan for all those wishing to leave)

I go there every couple of years and each time I ask myself why?

not everybody owns an helicopter like you :D

A few days ago I drove my shiny new black Mobi-Mobile from my house, just off the 36 highway, to Bangkok on a quiet morning. My on board computer said I had averaged 145 kms/hr and I made the Suvarnabhumi turn-off in around 45 minutes.

So you are quite right Nam - only a chopper could have made it any quicker :o

Even the TAT now acknowledge that there will be a drop in tourist numbers next year. This has been on the cards for some time, and doesn't surprise me. It is due to a number of reasons, including all the mainly valid complaints in the quoted letter, and of course, the uncertain political situation, to say nothing of the world wide economic recession.

I do think there will come a point where the Thais will start to ask themselves "why is our tourist business starting to go backwards?" but we haven't reached time yet. It may well be some years away, but eventually they will start to revoke some of the stupid laws and regulations that have 'inconvenienced' many tourists, and they will probably start a charm offensive to repair their tattered image. But this will not happen until they really start to feel the pinch - big time.

Pattaya, with it's proximity to Bangkok via a six lane highway, will always have enormous commercial potential, whether it is attracting European,or Asian or Russian tourists, and whether it remains the somewhat depraved sex capital of the world or whether it throws off it's shoddy image and goes up- market.

You have to look in the long term.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to worry Libya 115, at least we have the satisfaction of knowing that this exceedingly offensive individual is not one of our neighbours and isn't likely to be any day soon, so, we can live our lives in peace and tranquility with the knowledge that

Ha ! You still have to deal with me !!!! P.gif

Not to worry Libya 115, at least we have the satisfaction of knowing that this exceedingly offensive individual is not one of our neighbours and isn't likely to be any day soon, so, we can live our lives in peace and tranquility with the knowledge that

we'll tranquilize you with Chang :o

New story headline: DERANGED GERMAN URINATES IN SHOP BEFORE TRYING TO SLASH HIS NECK AND WRIST

I completely disagree with the posters that claim that this is a wonderful city for legit business and family style living.

We see similar headlines and much worse on a daily basis. This happened in a Family Mart!!, not a bar, gogo, beach, or other seedy type place.

I guess that I won't be calling my grandmother any time soon to make an urgent reservation to take a long holiday in Pattaya, nor would I suggest anyone coming to Pattaya until they clean up the shithle town and all the criminals.

I guess that I won't be calling my grandmother any time soon to make an urgent reservation to take a long holiday in Pattaya

Oh, no! What an AWFUL shame. Brings a tear to me eye, it does. You and your grandmother can't have a nice long holiday together in Pattaya--a matter of urgent necessity. A lifelong dream of the perfect holiday of reading, watching TV, sitting under a beach umbrella, and being pushed around a mall in a wheelchair--it's now shattered! What might she see in Pattaya nowadays?

Yes, by all means Pattaya should be a grandmother's resort--and a family resort. There are so FEW of those anywhere in the world. If only Pattaya could be sanitized, so that those other men and women can't exercise their freedom to, you know, get nekkid and whatever--then at last the world could have what cannot be found anywhere else!

Edited by JSixpack

Even the TAT now acknowledge that there will be a drop in tourist numbers next year. This has been on the cards for some time, and doesn't surprise me. It is due to a number of reasons, including all the mainly valid complaints in the quoted letter, and of course, the uncertain political situation, to say nothing of the world wide economic recession.

I do think there will come a point where the Thais will start to ask themselves "why is our tourist business starting to go backwards?" but we haven't reached time yet. It may well be some years away, but eventually they will start to revoke some of the stupid laws and regulations that have 'inconvenienced' many tourists, and they will probably start a charm offensive to repair their tattered image. But this will not happen until they really start to feel the pinch - big time.

Pattaya, with it's proximity to Bangkok via a six lane highway, will always have enormous commercial potential, whether it is attracting European,or Asian or Russian tourists, and whether it remains the somewhat depraved sex capital of the world or whether it throws off it's shoddy image and goes up- market.

Maybe the tourist business won't go backwards what with all the newly affluent Russians and Arabs and Indians and the other SE Asia countries. But if it does go backwards the Thais will put out more Amazing Thailand and Smooth as Silk adverts and that will be it. They won't dream of better policing, lowering fees to visit parks, filling in the famous potholes in BKK sidewalks and on Tappraya at Jomthien, doing something about the hideous array of telephone cables, cleaning the beaches, finishing roadworks, cleaning up dumped old sofas and vehicles, etc, etc, etc. The country is a mess outside of a few touristy spots. I've never upcountry but one farang said to me that if I think our condo grounds are a mess I've never been in a Thai village.

New story headline: DERANGED GERMAN URINATES IN SHOP BEFORE TRYING TO SLASH HIS NECK AND WRIST

Well, in my hometown of San Fran., all residents and tourists enjoy the sight of homeless men and women urinitating in public daily...not just when a deranged German tourist visits the City of St. Francis. You also have the priviledge of dodging their humen feces while walking down the sidewalk as well.

I guess that I won't be calling my grandmother any time soon to make an urgent reservation to take a long holiday in Pattaya...

That's too bad because she might not have such a tightly wound-up arse as you seem to possess, and therefore would probably have a great time. I personally know a large group of foreign expatriate women in their 50s-80s who reside in Pattaya (some by themselves and others still with husbands) who lead very active and happy retirements here. They do most of the typical retirement activities women of their age would do back home (yoga, coffee-hours, lunches, card-game clubs, manicure get-togethers, etc) and are able to stretch their retirment savings greatly. They often celebrate group birthdays at the New Orleans restaurant, where they have a ball, and sometimes retire to one of the near by boy gogos for a round of drinks and a few laughs.

Pattaya is not for everyone, but if you have an open mind, anyone can enjoy themselves and have some fun (naughty or nice).

Edited by NotNew2You

Maybe the tourist business won't go backwards what with all the newly affluent Russians and Arabs and Indians and the other SE Asia countries. But if it does go backwards the Thais will put out more Amazing Thailand and Smooth as Silk adverts and that will be it. They won't dream of better policing, lowering fees to visit parks, filling in the famous potholes in BKK sidewalks and on Tappraya at Jomthien, doing something about the hideous array of telephone cables, cleaning the beaches, finishing roadworks, cleaning up dumped old sofas and vehicles, etc, etc, etc. The country is a mess outside of a few touristy spots. I've never upcountry but one farang said to me that if I think our condo grounds are a mess I've never been in a Thai village.

Tammi. I've spent a lot of time up country., and right now I am writing this post from a little village, just south of Isan proper. While I would agree that most villages are lacking in 21st century infrastructure, there is a world of difference between the relatively clean and peaceful rural areas, where a lot of decent Thais reside and the criminal madness that is Pattaya, which you have so aptly described.

A popular misconception is that the Thais do not know any better. Well I am sure that they do, and I have seen plenty of evidence that when they want to do things properly, they can. The problem with Pattaya is that it is totally controlled by mafia and the criminal police (in a common partnership), and their sole motive is making money. This goes from the Mayor down.

The situation will not change until the tourist business really starts to collapse - as it will one day, when the creaking infrastructure finally gives up the ghost, and there is no water, electricity, and the roads become unnavigable, and the farangs are robbed and killed in broad daylight in unacceptable numbers. (I am sure you can add to this catalogue of a town in crisis.)

we'll tranquilize you with Chang :o

:D cheap gits ! The least you could do is use Jack D or Crown R (right now, I'd settle for Lao Khao) ! :D

(40 hours to go, 40 hours to go !)

I personally know a large group of foreign expatriate women in their 50s-80s who reside in Pattaya (some by themselves and others still with husbands) who lead very active and happy retirements here. They do most of the typical retirement activities women of their age would do back home (yoga, coffee-hours, lunches, card-game clubs, manicure get-togethers, etc)

And I bet you never find them in the Twilight Zone

we'll tranquilize you with Chang :D

:D cheap gits ! The least you could do is use Jack D or Crown R (right now, I'd settle for Lao Khao) ! :D

(40 hours to go, 40 hours to go !)

Ok. I give up! I'll have the JD and you can have the Lao Khao. Ok. See I don't mind sharing. :o:D

There are unfortunately a few too many Thais both government and individuals who think that treating too many westeners badly will have no adverse consequence. Wrong!

I agree, My wife and I recently went to a crocodile park and she paid Baht 60 and they charged me Baht 300, what the hel_l is that all about? I love LOS and hope to live there one day but most of our time is spent in Sahkon Nakon where life is simple there is no violence, foods great (bit smelly though)lol :o

i never felt it was dangerous,well no more than rest of the world,

Nor have I and it isn't as long as common sense prevails,

The cobra has been down an alley or two, exploring for possible short-cuts and the biggest danger in Patters remains simply trying to cross Beach road, :o

Edited by cobra

if i had a wife pattaya would be the last place to go, i assume he has been many times to point it out, can't wait for his Cambodia and Burma report trips if he thinks surrounding countries are superior for his needs. I had a great scuba holiday in patts but it isn't my cup of tea, each to their own, positive people make the world a happy place shame the author of the letter couldn't think about that , thailand has way way more positive points than negative in the grand scheme of things.

I personally know a large group of foreign expatriate women in their 50s-80s who reside in Pattaya (some by themselves and others still with husbands) who lead very active and happy retirements here. They do most of the typical retirement activities women of their age would do back home (yoga, coffee-hours, lunches, card-game clubs, manicure get-togethers, etc)

And I bet you never find them in the Twilight Zone

Pay attention Chaimai! You edited out the bit where the girls sometimes retire to Boyztown for drinks and a laugh.

Unless you consider Pattayaland is outside the 'Twilight Zone'

Or gay bars are not part of the 'Twilight Zone'

Or, maybe you are referring to something else as the 'Twilight Zone'?

I read the letter the op posted and the related one also quoted by someone from the newest Pattaya Mail. While some of the points they make are certainly valid, I think many are also beyond the point. First off, Pattaya is many things to many people. For many, it is and will always be, a holiday destination for "R&R" and nothing more. For others, it's a holiday destination for great and inexpensive courses. It is also a scuba diving destination. Operators have told me that the total takings for dive operators in Pattaya rival the total takings of Phuket! For others, it is a "family" holiday destination, with a healthy dose of Thai spices thrown in...they observe the going's on with amusement. It is also an inexpensive retirement option for many Westerners. The trouble is these disparate groups of visitors/residents often don't notice the other...so their perspectives are skewed. Those who are here for mongering probably don't really realize (and there is no reason they should) that there is a large and vibrant expatriate community here with families and businesses, and hobbies who have no interest in the nitelife. Their dollars support lots of other restaurants, bars [legit], and businesses the monger wouldn't even know about, let alone patronize. So the monger/punter may see a drop in business in the places he frequents...but be totally unawares of the other business that are thriving on the non-monger spending and conclude that Pattaya is in a bad way and that his monger spending is more important than it really is.

For years now, we have all read these letters to the local rags about residents upping, or threatening to, up and leave and of visitors saying they're never coming back. Never seems to happen, or if it does, they seem to be quickly replaced by others. I was out late last nite taking in the WS scene and most places were doing a good trade late into the nite. There were Ruskies and groups of wayward Arab youths (talking-up every ladyboy they could find) a plenty. And the condo and hotel construction boom is still going gangbusters. There is smart money still investing so they must continue to see a bright future for Pattaya. As to one letter's complaint about the lessening of nitelife in Pattaya, there are many clubs, discos, gogos, beer-bars still open till dawn if you know where to look (some of the BBs are 24/7) if that is what you're looking for.

One problem with these letter writers and posters here on TV is that it is mostly a Western perspective, and more specifically, an English reading and writing perspective. Exactly the countries (USA and England) who economies and currencies are taking a pounding. They certainly have reason to complain about "high" prices when they do the conversions with their "weak" currencies. However, we don't get the perspective of the those Arabs, Ruskies, even Chinese, who come here from booming regions with strong currencies. Maybe hotels, food, nitelife seems incredibly cheap for them...that's why they keep coming in droves, while the relatively "poor" English speakers take their shrunken pounds and dollars and go back home or vacation close to home.

So in short, I think the negativity of most of these responses is mostly unjustified. It may be your perspective and true from your vantage point, but it is not the whole story. Pattaya will continue to grow and hopefully thrive whether you choose to stay and enjoy it or return to Blimy.

I agree with you, I have lived here for 7 years and I am not involved with the bar scene and I am more than happy living here with my family. I get sick of these negative sh#@*%$ds who have nothing better to do than slag this place off, and this comes from people who visit once in a blue moon or have never visited the place!!!!!please, go away and get negative on some other forum...it does not matter which one, as I am sure you will whinge about something.

if i had a wife pattaya would be the last place to go

And deprive her of enjoying threesomes, so convenient in Pattaya? You aren't much fun, are you? :o

thailand has way way more positive points than negative in the grand scheme of things.

As Thailand, so Pattaya.

I agree with you, I have lived here for 7 years and I am not involved with the bar scene and I am more than happy living here with my family. I get sick of these negative sh#@*%$ds who have nothing better to do than slag this place off, and this comes from people who visit once in a blue moon

Spot on. All the negativity is just from the mongers who think Pattaya is the box formed by Pattaya Nua-Beach-Pattaya Tai-and 2nd Roads. They never leave that small area so for them, that is "Pattaya." Do they even know the one of the largest and best horse riding academies in SE Asia is located just a few clicks to the east of Sukhumvit (Horseshoe Point Resort)? A great golf course just at the end of Siam Country Club Road? I could mention many more.

What I really think their problem is is that they actually came to Pattaya and had a GREAT time...their negativity comes from the fact that they can't live here full-time for one reason or another!

I have to agree that it seems like the local government has a policy of doing whatever they possibly can to discourage any tourist from coming to Pattaya. from arresting foreigners for no apparent reason, not doing anything about the shady types that opeerate here, no consumer protection, early closing times, garbage on the streets, unsafe streets, not cracking down on dangerous drivers/motorbikes, and on and on.

I have been coming to Pattaya a long time and i have never seen such poor business conditions. Closures all over the place. farangs scared to start businesses, farangs scared to patronize businesses etc.

They have created a recipe for a huge crime rise in the future. And a lot of farangs come to Pattaya to drink and for sex, and the crackdowns will drive people to other more tourist friendly countries.

The only thing that will save Pattaya and Thailand in general is if the large corporations that rely on foreigners for much of their business (big supermarket companies, Homeworks, HomePro, Carrefour, Big C, Tesco, Thai Airways, all hotel companies, etc.), will put pressure, big pressure on the government to tone it down on attacking foreigners that support the economy here.

I like Pattaya having lived here for 7 years. Pattaya and Thailand is what you make it, life is what you make it. If you dont like it, simple, stay away!!!!!!!!!!! It beats other Countries with there high prices and bad climates anyday for me.

Wouldn't it be great if even more people would "pack up and take their money elsewhere" ?

Less traffic on the streets. Cheaper housing prices (maybe). Smaller line-ups at the Immigration office.

I think they should pack up and move to Rangoon. See how they like it there (and don't let them back when they find reasons to cry and moan over there).

Some people will simply never be happy, and find an excuse to bitch about pretty much anything.

Waaaa, why does the traffic on the left get to go before the traffic in my lane ? It's so unfair !

Waaa, why does the supermarket only have 8 varieties of white bread ? They're discriminating against farangs !

Waaa, why do I have to have a helmet to ride my uninsured moto with no licence ? They're targetting farangs !

Waaa, I'm a farang, why doesn't the world revolve around me ? If you don't start treating me much better than you treat your own people, I may just pack up and take my meagre pension to some other country and try to survive there. That'll teach you !

(insert head shaking smiley here)

For those that want to pack up and leave Pattaya, I am more than happy to post a map showing the quickest way out of town ! :o

I fell in love with Thailand the moment I stood at the top of the gangway steps leading down to the airport tarmac and have loved it and its people now for 40 years.

I have a beatiful condo here where, again, I have nothing but good things to say about the staff.

My BIG problem is with the 9 farangs and Thais on the management committee who have taken all power unto themselves and have refused to allow the other co-owners to know where their money is spent; have disregarded Resolutions made in the past when co-owners did pass reolutions; have collected 3% commissions on condo sales and not been accountable as to where the money went; have not followed the Law as laid down in the Condominium Act and the Juristic Person Regulations.

What to do? It is a big problem for a very small minority of interested co-owners to keep things in line when the 51% of Thais and the remaining farangs don't seem to care.

I can for the most part close my eyes to much of the poor infrastructure outside the condo gates but I want my home and environs looked after and I want to know in detail where my yearly maintenace goes.

SOURCE: Pattaya Mail: July 25th-July 31st Edition

From MailBag

Farewell Pattaya

Dear Editor,

My wife and I have been visiting Pattaya and the rest of the Kingdom for the last ten years. Sadly, the levels of greed, early closing times, prejudice directed at farangs, police indifference, crimes against persons and raising prices with reduced service have helped make our decision to go elsewhere for our holidays.

I can’t say that all is bad in the Kingdom. Issan is a kinder, gentler place, but lacks the ocean sea-breezes, shopping, dining and “lights of the big city” that attracts us to Pattaya. Koh Samui and Phuket are nice, but captive and pricey to get to.

I’ve yet to figure out why a government that relies so heavily of tourism cannot grasp the concept that competition from surrounding countries is a reality.

With that thought, we say farewell to Thailand and we will cherish the fond memories of our Thai friends and experiences from holidays past.

Goodbye Thailand. Our money is going elsewhere.

Ben and Ruth Martinez

Unfortunately I am sure they or their money will not be missed, I suspect they consider farangs to be like bus's, another three will be along in a minute..............

Roy gsd

If you feel that you want to leave then do just that. I for one after many happy years here will be voting with my feetand staying.

Is it really necessary to go on about how filthy, and what a sewer Pattaya has become. I was speaking with a white expat female today, she was back in Pattaya for the first time after 2 years absence and she commented hpow better it looked since her last visit.

Pattaya has succeeded in making many people happy over the years in many different ways.

It cannot however be all things to all men/women.

Love it or hate it it is one diverse city and I would not live anywhere else.