Change Visa Type From Non B To Non O

Ok...Everyone, I am here to ask for your advise. I am a Thai woman, I am working for the government so I earn very little less than 40,000 baht per month. My husband is a 31-year-old dutch guy. Now he holds Non B from his work, but he likes to quit his teaching job in October and look for other possibilities. He wants to focus on IT business and it's not easy to get it start. He doesnt want to have a teaching job anymore because he doesnt have time for his IT thing. So we discuss about quiting his job now.

I heard about the new Visa rule that we need to earn as much as 40,000 baht in order to obtain the NON O. What can I do? huh....

If I cannot show that I earn 40,000 baht per month since my husband will have no job. He has to leave the country? And the Imm will refuse to extend the visa for him? What can I do? Let's say if we cannot generate more income. We have to leave the country? and split up? I have never think that Thailand is having a hard core Visa regulations before, until I am about to experience one.

If we have bank account aboard, will it help? I heard that the Imm will not care to look at our Thai deposit bank acc., will they care to see our bank statement? And anyone experience getting proof from the Embassy? I am not sure the Dutch Embassy will do this easily.

PLease I really need your help!! Thanks in advance.

Ok...Everyone, I am here to ask for your advise. I am a Thai woman, I am working for the government so I earn very little less than 40,000 baht per month. My husband is a 31-year-old dutch guy. Now he holds Non B from his work, but he likes to quit his teaching job in October and look for other possibilities. He wants to focus on IT business and it's not easy to get it start. He doesnt want to have a teaching job anymore because he doesnt have time for his IT thing. So we discuss about quiting his job now.

I heard about the new Visa rule that we need to earn as much as 40,000 baht in order to obtain the NON O. What can I do? huh....

If I cannot show that I earn 40,000 baht per month since my husband will have no job. He has to leave the country? And the Imm will refuse to extend the visa for him? What can I do? Let's say if we cannot generate more income. We have to leave the country? and split up? I have never think that Thailand is having a hard core Visa regulations before, until I am about to experience one.

If we have bank account aboard, will it help? I heard that the Imm will not care to look at our Thai deposit bank acc., will they care to see our bank statement? And anyone experience getting proof from the Embassy? I am not sure the Dutch Embassy will do this easily.

If your husband applies for a visa extension on the grounds of marriage to a Thai, then proof is required of a joint income of 40,000 THB per month. This can be just your income with your husband declaring no income.

Income proof can be by means of showing just your tax returns. For example, if you go to the tax office and declare an extra income on say letting out of property or equipment hire; you can pay the extra tax via a Por Ngor Dor 94 to raise your total tax amount paid to the equivalent of the tax on an income of 40,000 per month.

Note that if your husband is working in IT he will need a work permit, even if he initially has no income.

He would be able to get A NON O VISA from KL with no problem. probably even a multi entry.

I think she is talking about the yearly extension. In this case the 40,000 a month would be needed and post no. 2 explained that.

Whatever he does he will not have to leave as he has a few options. So do not worry.

Edited by Lite Beer

We were a little short last year and just paid tax on 10,000 baht,I am waiting to go back in next month for the yes or no this year. However we have done it on the same basis as last year. Also for 6 Baht the tax office will sign a declaration of your "earnings" on the tax paid.

There has been no change in visa issue. You do not/or will not meet the requirements for extension of stay from Immigration without 40k family income - so visa from Consulate and exit every 90 days will be required. Most Consulates will issue single entry non immigrant O visa for a 90 day stay without any limits or financial conditions. KL is likely to issue a multi entry type valid for a year if some bank account information can be shown (and perhaps even if not). In all cases take.

1. Marriage certificate and copy.

2. Copy of your home register signed by you.

3. Copy of your ID card (or passport) signed by you.

Additional a short note asking for visa to be issued and bank passbook showing some cash (especially for multi entry).

There has been no change in visa issue. You do not/or will not meet the requirements for extension of stay from Immigration without 40k family income - so visa from Consulate and exit every 90 days will be required. Most Consulates will issue single entry non immigrant O visa for a 90 day stay without any limits or financial conditions. KL is likely to issue a multi entry type valid for a year if some bank account information can be shown (and perhaps even if not). In all cases take.

Additional a short note asking for visa to be issued and bank passbook showing some cash (especially for multi entry).

Why is it easier to get a multiple O visa in KL then in Penang both places are still in the same country

Why is it easier to get a multiple O visa in KL then in Penang both places are still in the same country

Each Thai office abroad tends to interpret the rules as they see fit.

Income proof can be by means of showing just your tax returns. For example, if you go to the tax office and declare an extra income on say letting out of property or equipment hire; you can pay the extra tax via a Por Ngor Dor 94 to raise your total tax amount paid to the equivalent of the tax on an income of 40,000 per month.

Immigration requires more than just your tax returns, such as a letter from the applicant's company to certify salary that the applicant receives not less than 40,000 bath per month.

I am interested to know then that if our income came solely from the rubber trees we have, how do we prove 40K/month in that case? This in response to the company letter statement.

Edited by Mosha

I can only suspect it was customer specific - what was the status of the applicant and exactly what were they using (if you know). People have been using tax receipts and specifically told by Immigration that was what to do and all that would be required.

The fact is the applicant does not have to receive more than 40k in income. It is a family requirement.

In my case as we are using 2 sources, they do require proof from the embassy. So the embassy give them the pre tax figure, and I let them go on that this year. :o My wife almost slipped up by handing over the pension slips my ex employer sends, but I rescued them before they hit the desk.

If your husband has money in a bank in Nederland, well, he needs proof from he Dutch bank, however, the proof needs to be legalised in The Hague.

First by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign affairs, second by the Thai Embassy.

Why? It is a Dutch document.

Night even need a Thai translation, who knows?

Maybe some friend in Holland could do that for you, but I am afraid one of the two official institutions may not cooperate.

And you never thought that Thailand has a hard core visa system?

Well, it is hard core, and changing all the time.

Ask all the farang trying to live in Thailand.

On the other hand, the European rules too, are not easy.

Ask all the Thai people who want to live in Holland.

The IND (imm in NL) is not very well known for its leniency.

It boils down to income or money in the bank.

And Thai Imm prefers, logical, a Thai bank.

Maybe it might be wise to keep the teaching job, and try to start the IT on the sidelines?

Look how things go, and yes, it will be difficult.

But if you do not try, you will most certainly not succeed.

But you will still have the visa.

And sometimes you cannot do what you would like to do.

In your case, I would have a talk with immigration.

Open up, and ask for help in solving the problem.

Your Gov job might come in handy.

If your husband is teaching then both of your combined income should be over 40,000. Why not apply now and then if he choses to leave his job after the visa is granted he should have until next year to get his income back to the 40,000 thb range.

I am not 100% sure, but I think that this perfectly legal.

---------------------------------------------------------

The other thing is that the 40,000 is just for the visa extension, not for the 3 month visa, so worst case senerio he would have to do a border run every 3 months.

---------------------------------------------------------

Here is an alternative... I am guessing he is qualified to teach, since he is already doing so.

Why not get a job at a Lower level university teaching. Most of these jobs wont require any more than 15 hours a week and you only need to come in to teach, rather than spending the whole day on campus.

This would allow him to get his yearly extension and provide additional income while he is getting his IT business off the ground. As soon as his IT business picks up he can completely back away from teaching.

If your husband has money in a bank in Nederland, well, he needs proof from he Dutch bank, however, the proof needs to be legalised in The Hague.

Money in a bank anywhere will not get him the extension.

He/They need income,salary, wages.

Immigration requires more than just your tax returns, such as a letter from the applicant's company to certify salary that the applicant receives not less than 40,000 bath per month.

I just acquired my Non-O (married to a Thai) yesterday (7/25/08) in Chiang Mai. :o I held a Non-B before that and it was to expire on 7/23/08... When I submitted my Non-O application to Thai Immigration (CM) on 7/3/08 they immediately gave me an extension until 7/29/08 awaiting the approval of my application.

For me to show 40k baht as monthly income I had to go to my US Consulate and get a certified affidavit stating that my monthly income was 40k baht or more. I had bank statements ready for proof but was never asked to see them. Likewise when I interviewed at Thai Immigration for my visa I merely submitted the certified affidavit as required with the application. The interviewee asked where this money was coming from (i.e. Retirement, work, investments, etc..) I replied and that was the end of anything about the 40k baht requirement.

I just acquired my Non-O (married to a Thai) yesterday (7/25/08) in Chiang Mai. :o I held a Non-B before that and it was to expire on 7/23/08... When I submitted my Non-O application to Thai Immigration (CM) on 7/3/08 they immediately gave me an extension until 7/29/08 awaiting the approval of my application.

For me to show 40k baht as monthly income I had to go to my US Consulate and get a certified affidavit stating that my monthly income was 40k baht or more. I had bank statements ready for proof but was never asked to see them. Likewise when I interviewed at Thai Immigration for my visa I merely submitted the certified affidavit as required with the application. The interviewee asked where this money was coming from (i.e. Retirement, work, investments, etc..) I replied and that was the end of anything about the 40k baht requirement.

Assume your earnings were from abroad.

To get the years extension with earnings in Thailand you need records of tax payments inside thailand.

Assume your earnings were from abroad.

To get the years extension with earnings in Thailand you need records of tax payments inside thailand.

Yes, they are. And I didn't even have to show anything as far as transferring them into a Thai bank as I have no Thai bank account.

Thank you very much everyone for your kind advise.

It's quite clear that my husband and I need to find way to get 40,000 baht salary and get the tax reciept to show that we are good citizen who pay tax and no cheating! As some of you (hansnl #16 and CWMcMurray #17) mentioned about changing the visa type from B to O before he quit the job will be the best solution to my case for now. I'll tell him that and we will definitely do that. I think it's a good idea to keep his teaching job while he starts his it business a side (maybe secretly)

Thank digitalchromakey #2 for your advise about having monthly income fomr letting a house or a land, I think it's a good idea indeed. I havent thought about that but this I might have to ask my family for it.

dingdongrb #19 Thx for sharing your Immigration experience with us. It's useful.

I can summerize from all of your advise that we need to have household income around 40,000 baht per month. The bank accounts both in Thailand and abroad might not be useful. We might try the border run, but this can still be possible since I heard that the Immigration Office try to make it more difficult and stop people from do the border run.

I have to admit that this visa thingy makes me upset and sad at the same time. It spoils our plan to have the website business done in Hong Kong for a while. <-- not sure we can find proof of earning on the first year. You might ask why we choose to get the business establish in Hong Kong (he wants to quit his teaching job to do it) because Thai regulations doesnt open and liberal like in Hong Kong as far as I heard. Anyone here have business run outside Thailand, especially Hong Kong? We try to get the business run in Thailand but it requires big bucket of money to pay. And we have not that much. In hong kong is cheaper.

At the end of the year, we are leaving Thailand for my job in Russia (my office send me to work there for 4 years) I dont know when he comes back he could get any job in 3 months. For the teaching job he is having at the moment, we applied for almost 8 months before we got responded. He is not a native so it's not easy to get a teaching job in Thailand. I also feel that many universities in Bangkok will prefer Ph D Graduates to lower level.

I heard that when he is older and no longer work he has to change the visa to pension visa and have 800,000 baht deposit in the bank. Can they make it easier for us who just wanna have a life together in Thailand? I underestimate the system here indeed like you might notice, I dont know if my government job will be handy. I will talk to the Imm people and will let you know how it comes out.

BTW, some people might get confuse about my profile. I am using my husband's log-in now. He is dutch and I am Thai. :-)

Thanks everyone. You're guys rock!!!!

if u have a friend that trusts you. get them to put money through your account and give it back to them. or even open a bank acount with your name and give it to them. not sure if that is legal or a legal loop hole. will have to check

Money in account means nothing - the requirement is tax payment on an income of 40k per month. From most reports tax payment is not questioned if there are funds to pay it.

Without meeting extension of stay requirements the next best option is multi entry non immigrant O visa and single entry would be next. There is normally no limit set on there issue.

What Immigration has required that? The requirement is tax receipts for local income and that seems to be what most people are asked for.

Chiangmai has needed it (employer's letter stating position & salary) every year that I have been here - from when I had my own company in 1999-2000, to when I was employed by Chiangmai University in 2001 - 2003, and from 2003 until this year when I am employed by a British media company as SE Asian correspondent - in the latter case, despite the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Press Division verification and authorisation letters being issued from Sri Ayutthaya Road every year after the Thai Embassy in the UK verified my employment with the UK office.

All my friends using the non-imm B route (regardless of Thai, local foreign company, or overseas foreign company employer) through Chiangmai have also had to produce them each year in addition to the tax receipt from the local tax office.

Both documents are also required (and again, have been every year) by the Chiangmai work permit office.

Maybe we've all been unlucky, or maybe once you enter into a fully-legit paper chain, it's impossible to get out of it? One thing I do know - performing the full paper chase each year, while tedious, does make the whole process simply a matter of routine and rubber stamping without grief, surprises, or traumas. That in itself makes it worthwhile.

Get legit, stay legit, and follow the rules = ultimately much less effort and far fewer problems. (I've not had to cross the border since 2001).

Gaz

Edited by Gaz Chiangmai

What Immigration has required that? The requirement is tax receipts for local income and that seems to be what most people are asked for.

Chiangmai has needed it (employer's letter stating position & salary) every year that I have been here - from when I had my own company in 1999-2000, to when I was employed by Chiangmai University in 2001 - 2003, and from 2003 until this year when I am employed by a British media company as SE Asian correspondent - in the latter case, despite the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Press Division verification and authorisation letters being issued from Sri Ayutthaya Road every year after the Thai Embassy in the UK verified my employment with the UK office.

All my friends using the non-imm B route (regardless of Thai, local foreign company, or overseas foreign company employer) through Chiangmai have also had to produce them each year in addition to the tax receipt from the local tax office.

Both documents are also required (and again, have been every year) by the Chiangmai work permit office.

Maybe we've all been unlucky, or maybe once you enter into a fully-legit paper chain, it's impossible to get out of it? One thing I do know - performing the full paper chase each year, while tedious, does make the whole process simply a matter of routine and rubber stamping without grief, surprises, or traumas. That in itself makes it worthwhile.

Get legit, stay legit, and follow the rules = ultimately much less effort and far fewer problems. (I've not had to cross the border since 2001).

Gaz

So Chaing Mai asked you to produce an employer's letter stating position and salary for an extension of permission to stay on the basis of marriage?

No - for the proof of income by employment which is in context with Lopburi's original question.

You are correct in that if the foreigner in the marriage is declaring income from work in Thailand for an extension of permission to stay based on 606/2549 section 7.17, then immigration will certainly want extra proof of the husband's income (work permit, employer's letter, accounts, etc).

However if the 40,000 THB pcm family income required also includes the Thai wife's earnings (e.g. sole trader income); which is the context of this thread, then immigration will often just accept her tax returns in addition to any documents required for the husband's proof.

Edited by digitalchromakey

That’s what I thought. You were talking about an extension for employment – and singa-traz probably also – while the OP asked about the requirements for an extension to live with Thai wife. Everything is clear now.

--

Maestro