Current International Internet Speeds

Dustoff

Retired here in mid-November and moved to Nakorn Ping Condo. Have TT&T Maxnet internet service. Just ran the following speedchecks:

Forum speed check (ThaIland): Download: 1746 Kbs Upload: 752 Kbs

Speakeasy.net to Seattle Download: 902 Kbs Upload: 451 Kbs

Speakeasy.net to San Francisco Download: 1059 Kbs Upload: 541 Kbs

• 1 month later...

I have Maxnet Premier at my home and KSC at my office. KSC is far better and more consistent. However; it's about 300 baht per month more for the equivalent speed and share ratio.

Recently, I have been finding my Maxnet connection to be very inconsistent in its service.

Perhaps many people don't know but there are quite a lot of choices that you can have for internet service providers - especially if you have a TT&T line. Maxnet is not your only option. I believe that there are about 10-15 different companies that you can choose from. (I don't have the list with my at the moment but there are quite a lot). TT&T doesn't tell you this because they want you to use their Maxnet service.

If you google "Internet Service Providers in Chiang Mai" I'm sure you'll find a few of the lists.

Both times my TT&T connection have been slow it has been due to the modem.

A couple of times the connection drops and is slow; called them and they reset the link on their end.

Never had any really major problems with TT&T that couldn't easily be fixed.

As of in the last five minutes.....

Using TT&T Maxnet (downtown area)

Speakeasy - 1751/416

Speedtest.net - 1758/433

TV (Thai Visa) - 1791/424

Actual downloads can be a lot slower in my experience.

The above speeds are fairly consistent over time.

Edited by john b good

TOT is 100% aware of the problems in Thailand as a whole and also CM specific bandwidth issues. They have confirmed in CM and BKK that they have issues that they are trying to resolve... State run telecom.... so don't get your hopes up :-)

TT&T is better... but they have issues with too many subscribers and not enough lines... resulting in poor services and speeds as well.

The other remaining issue is the FIBER out of thailand... several lines were never repaired after the Tsunami... it will be a long time before you see decent speeds to USA and other countries.

TOT is 100% aware of the problems in Thailand as a whole and also CM specific bandwidth issues. They have confirmed in CM and BKK that they have issues that they are trying to resolve... State run telecom.... so don't get your hopes up :-)

TT&T is better... but they have issues with too many subscribers and not enough lines... resulting in poor services and speeds as well.

The other remaining issue is the FIBER out of thailand... several lines were never repaired after the Tsunami... it will be a long time before you see decent speeds to USA and other countries.

I don't know with certainty that this is true, but it is very credible. I do think the TOT apoligists are using the overall bandwidth problem as an excuse for the company's poor service. And I suspect that TT&T, which delivers adequate service on its good days, is being oversubscribed because residents realize TOT is the worst option.

~

Slow-witted as I am, a friend (thanks Mike) finally pointed out that 'shopping for the best service at the lowest price' is oxymoronic.

We truly DO get what we pay for and it is not so much about international cables and such but about penny-pinching.

Sometimes paying more for quality is less taxing than frustrations that shorten our lives.

Kind of an electronic communications version of "No money, no honey"... :o

~

Slow-witted as I am, a friend (thanks Mike) finally pointed out that 'shopping for the best service at the lowest price' is oxymoronic.

We truly DO get what we pay for and it is not so much about international cables and such but about penny-pinching.

Sometimes paying more for quality is less taxing than frustrations that shorten our lives.

Kind of an electronic communications version of "No money, no honey"... :o

That's why I was quite happy with my TT&T plan where I paid extra for slower internet but a lower contention ratio, meaning fewer customers using the line. I got about the same average speed and disconnects went from being the norm to the exception. Unfortunately TOT doesn't have plan like that, and I'm stuck with a TOT phone line that TT&T can't use.

I live in Ban Wang Tan and our TOT speeds have been wildly erratic for a couple of weeks and I am pulling my hair out. (good thing I have plenty to spare)

The top TOT techs have been over here a couple of times and insist that it is the same for everyone in CM but I have trouble accepting that since I have not seen any recent complaints on these forums.

I use SpeakEasy speed tests for international and within an hour I can have 1190kbs, then 60, then 900, then nada. And this goes on not only during the 'rush hour' times but all day/night. Is anyone else experiencing this or is TOT simply unwilling to fix a problem that exists in our particular area?

Not gonna do a poll but will those of you who have TT&T and TOT post your current experiences? If TT&T is providing better service I would not mind changing over but don't want to go thru the hassle of changing over if it will not provide me with better service.

If your connection shuts down while you are reading this, I can wait a day or two for your response... :o

Exactly the same for me with my so-called service.

I live in Doi Lor, my ISP is Maxnet indy 590 baht per month, telephone line TT&T.

About 3 weeks ago the service went to pot, slow web page downloads with lots of time outs.

Plus constant buffering with UTube and other video viewing.

There have been times when the service is so bad that I switched off my computer and waited a few hours in the hope that speeds will pick up.

I recommend using faster bowsers like Chrome and Mozilla. IE has proven to be so slow and unable to load pages at times, unless you reload 2 or 3 times.

I am certainly not an expert. However, I don't see how a "faster browser" will do anything more than display something faster after it is received from the server.

I have used the other browsers mentioned and they did nothing (in my case anyway) to affect the speed of my internet connection.

MSPain

WOW. We moved across town, and I finally got off my dial up which always registered around 90 kbs. Now I have TOT ADSL, less than 600 baht/month including landline charge, and I just checked it.

Download Speed: 900 kbps (112.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 393 kbps (49.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

It does not feel quite that much faster, but I am one very happy camper out on this rice field.

I recommend using faster bowsers like Chrome and Mozilla. IE has proven to be so slow and unable to load pages at times, unless you reload 2 or 3 times.

I am certainly not an expert. However, I don't see how a "faster browser" will do anything more than display something faster after it is received from the server.

I have used the other browsers mentioned and they did nothing (in my case anyway) to affect the speed of my internet connection.

MSPain

One of the things that I believe slows ones computer down (including download speeds) is Norton Anti Virus.

This has been echoed by friends.

WOW. We moved across town, and I finally got off my dial up which always registered around 90 kbs. Now I have TOT ADSL, less than 600 baht/month including landline charge, and I just checked it.

Download Speed: 900 kbps (112.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 393 kbps (49.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

It does not feel quite that much faster, but I am one very happy camper out on this rice field.

Do you mind if I ask where cross town is? I'm on Nimmanhamin and my TOT ADSL has been close to nonexistent for three days now. A technician came today, ran some checks, then told me my connection was good but slow because TOT's system was down. He said it would be up later today, but so far nothing has improved. This raises the question of why the system is down for me and up for you.