Here we go again, :D So now i have decided to fly to England to get my non imm B visa and do a few other things and return here 10 days later.

My present visa (multi entry tourist 4 blocks of 59) expires on 15th Nov my flight is 2.30am 17th Nov.

Should i get a 10 day extention on my visa? or just turn up to the airport with my out of date visa? will be 26hours out of date. :o

Noodles.

TurnΒ  upΒ  atΒ  11pmΒ  toΒ  checkΒ  inΒ  andΒ  you/llΒ  onlyΒ  beΒ  1Β  dayΒ  late........theyΒ  shouldΒ  allowΒ  youΒ  that . LetΒ  usΒ  know.

Nah it won't work, or at least it didn't for me. I was a few days over and my flight was like half past midnight or something like that. I thought I'd get away with the last day if I checked in at half ten or whatever. He picked it up right away....I was like "yeah but it's only two days overstay, I'm here now" he was like "your flight is at midnight so you have to pay an extra 200 Baht" so instead of the 400 I thought I'd pay, it was bloody 600 Baht. They ain't stupid (at least not with $$$), but maybe this chap will get away with it.....good luck!

400THB fine as your scheduled flight departure puts you on a 2 day overstay.

Pity it is not more severe as you are obviously deliberately overstaying.

The overwhelming majority of those with visas respect the Thai immigration rules.

Yes you are right, overstay penalties should be more severe. The only reason i may deliberately overstay is because it is only by 24 hours if i go before midnight.

I know you think this is a very bad thing to do and that i should get the neadle, but realy why should i pay for an extension on my visa for the sake of 24 hours?

on my current visa i have stayed here for over 5000 hours so lets not get anal about it.

Also FYI if you read and understood my original post you would know that i asked for advise if i should get an extension on my visa or not.

Thanks muenway2 for your constructive input, it was much appreciated.

Noodles. :o

I know you think this is a very bad thing to do and that i should get the neadle, but realy why should i pay for an extension on my visa for the sake of 24 hours?

on my current visa i have stayed here for over 5000 hours so lets not get anal about it.

Why? It's very simple. It's the Law in Thailand. It does not matter if you have been in thailand for 5000 hours or 5 years an overstay is an overstay be it 24 hours or 2 years. If you don't like Thai law then maybe it's time to go the rout of Thai Citezenship and work to change it once you can vote, although I think that 24 hour overstay would put you out of the running.

The big problem is not your overstay, per say, but the attitude to Thai law that some on this forum have. No wonder they are making it harder and harder for Farang to stay.

If you were a Thai National and overstayed in England I really dobt if they would say "Give us 1 pound mate and we'll see ya next week"..

Why? It's very simple. It's the Law in Thailand. It does not matter if you have been in thailand for 5000 hours or 5 years an overstay is an overstay be it 24 hours or 2 years. If you don't like Thai law then maybe it's time to go the rout of Thai Citezenship and work to change it once you can vote, although I think that 24 hour overstay would put you out of the running.

The big problem is not your overstay, per say, but the attitude to Thai law that some on this forum have. No wonder they are making it harder and harder for Farang to stay.

If you were a Thai National and overstayed in England I really dobt if they would say "Give us 1 pound mate and we'll see ya next week"..

Again i will ask you to read my original question, it asked "should i get an extension for the sake of one day?"

Now if you think i should, then you should say, YES.

I dont need a lesson in morality here, it was a simple and honest enough question.

An overstay of less than 24 hours is not usually a problem.Β 

It is when you pass though immigration that matters, not the flight time.

If he checks in at 10:30pm he will be OK.

I agree Astral..........i think Kenkannif was just unlucky, as long as you get checked in and through immigration before midnight into the duty free area your in no mans land so to speak.....i dont think it would matter even if your flight was on the following afternoon (except you wouldnt be able to check-in of course!)

Well it meant I didn't have enough money to buy any ciggies, but hand on heart that's what happened. So it is obviously the time you fly out (so if you checked in 5 days early you'd avoid a 5 day overstay? Come on!) but probably like most things here down to the individual officers discretion.

Astral do you have a link to the rule that says it's when you check in and not flight time? Surely if you're leaving 4 days after your Visa runs out.....you're leaving 4 days after your Visa has run out? Checking in doesn't mean you don't need a Visa, does it? While you may well be right, I don't think it can be stated as a fact, unless it is?

I mean like Thaiflyer says you can't check in the afternoon before as they check your ticket to see when you're leaving, if they check your ticket they know you're not leaving until the next day and thus would have overstayed another day?

I'll be interested to see how this chap gets on. It was almost 5 years ago when this happened to me.

Check in itself has no bearing on it......its what time you go through immigration and recieve your exit stamp thats the crux of the matter...after all once you have your exit stamp (lets say at 23.59pm) if your flight is at 3am you cant be overstaying the 3 hours as technically you aint in Thailand. Remember though most check in desks only open 3 hours before departure (maximum) and without checking in you cant clear immigration.I/d like to know how he gets on as well.

Hi Hoodles,

I had the same problem, albeit only 8 hours overstay. Was flying from Bangkok to Penang to get an 'O' visa. Decided to get the 10-day extension (1,900 baht - ouch!!) but I felt a lot better knowing that I wouldn't have that big-assed overstay stamp in there.

I went to Chiang Mai Immigration and asked what they thought and the guy said don't worry about it, no probs. Then I said I was going to apply for an 'O' visa the next day, to which he replied that I should get the extension. It would've only been 8 hours, but an overstay is an overstay and it's all on computer and it could go against you, for whatever reason, in the future.

Alternative is to go to a border and get your 30 days. I didn't want to do that again as Mae Sai is a bummer of a journey from Chiang Mai.

Stay legal my friend and good luck. :o

jackr

I'd heard that the overstay fine had gone up to 500B per day. Being a solid citizen I've only ever overstayed once (way back when and it was only 1 day @ 200B) but if it is still only 200B then surely its better to pay 200B than 1800B for a 10 day extension.

I can't see the powers that be jumping on anyone for a one day overstay........but then again.........

A point that appears to be overlooked is that "noodles" asked what SHOULD he do, NOT what WOULD others do. The answer is simple apply for an extension. Obviously he will have no problems clearing up a trivial overstay but my point has been that it is irresponsible to recommend he break Thai law even for such a petty offence.

Thaiflyer 1 states that having passed through immigration "technically you ain't in Thailand". WRONG. You are under Thai jurisdiction until outside of Thai airspace (and, to a limited extent, beyond if flying on a Thai carrier). Try ordering a beer airside at Don muang and refuse to pay. See who turns up to arrest you.

So far as whether your overstay depends upon advertised flight departure or time you report to immigration is a moot point. I doubt it :o is clarified under Thai law, the finer points of which "NOODLES" may have the opportunity of debating at Don Muang. Perhaps he could report back to us.

A point that appears to be overlooked is that "noodles" asked what SHOULD he do, NOT what WOULD others do. The answer is simple apply for an extension. Obviously he will have no problems clearing up a trivial overstay but my point has been that it is irresponsible to recommend he break Thai law even for such a petty offence.

Thaiflyer 1 states that having passed through immigration "technically you ain't in Thailand". WRONG. You are under Thai jurisdiction until outside of Thai airspace (and, to a limited extent, beyond if flying on a Thai carrier). Try ordering a beer airside at Don muang and refuse to pay. See who turns up to arrest you.

So far as whether your overstay depends upon advertised flight departure or time you report to immigration is a moot point. I doubt itΒ  :D is clarified under Thai law, the finer points of which "NOODLES" may have the opportunity of debating at Don Muang. Perhaps he could report back to us.

I think you know what i meant by "technically you aint in Thailand"....once you have your exit stamp and pass into the duty free area all overstays can be forgotton about......obviously if you refuse to pay for a drink or any other infraction of Thai law it will be the Thai Authorities you will answer to. I wouldnt recommend anybody to break Thai law........but in the instance what has been suggested would seem an obvious solution ...i would suggest maybe next time try and get a flight a day earlier though. :o ..........Apologies for lack of paragraphs, my keyboard is knackered! :D

Here we go again,Β  :D So now i have decided to fly to England to get my non imm B visa and do a few other things and return here 10 days later.

My present visa (multi entry tourist 4 blocks of 59) expires on 15th Nov my flight is 2.30am 17th Nov.

Should i get a 10 day extention on my visa? or just turn up to the airport with my out of date visa? will be 26hours out of date. :o

Noodles.

There is no such thing as a multiple entries tourist visa. Maximum is three entries.

Or have I missed something here?

Edit: I should have said there is no such thing as a four entries tourist visa.

When you have a "multiple entries" visa (non immigrant that is) it means you can do unlimited travel during 12 (+3) months (as many entries as you wish).

There is no such thing as a multiple entries tourist visa. Maximum is three entries.

Or have I missed something here?

multiple = more than one

three = more than one

three = multiple ??

At least one Consulate has been reported to issue 4 entry tourist visa, right or wrong. :o

Good old Hull Consulate..........and best of all they give you a year to use them.