Mantra Corkage Fee

fm2002

I am willing to come to the defense of Mantra on one point and that is it really isn't their fault that Thailand has such a outrageous import tax on wine. (Someone told me it's the second highest in the world !) Because of this it's a overwhelming feat to provide value in selling wine on any level.

However I would point out that all over the world the majority of restaurants allow you to bring wine in, and at a lower than what Mantra is charging, corkage fee. If you really look at this as a restaurant owner (as I once was) the % of customers that bring in their own wine to a nice restaurant is very small and the ones that do are usually a customer that eats out often and spends more. Which in the local sector is what any owner would want to capture.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Italy we don't have the corkage fee and most of the restaurant will see you with a strange face if you arrive with your bottle of wine.

But in Italy we always have a good and cheap (sometime) wine list. I understand customer bringing their wine because the restaurant don't have a good choice, but people bringing their wine only to spend less... 1000 baht corkage fee is fair.

Don't be keeniao...

Most around 250 baht - 500 baht tops.

that sounds reasonable for a corkage...500 being really the top end.

It's funny you ask about comparable bottle. I brought a Cloudy Bay Sauv Blanc which I purchased for around $26 USD or about 858 baht. It just so happened that when I finished the bottle they asked if I would like another ? They obviously thought I had bought it from them. I replied you have this wine and they responded yes. I asked how much and I think it was around 3000 baht !!!

comparing wine prices is not exactly fair, the exorbitant import duties and excise taxes make a 5 $ swish in the US a drink for festive dinners in Thailand.

Dear Mantra.

I am a frequent guest at your great restaurant and I truly love the food and ambience. It is a great place to entertain business guests.

Unfortunately you do not carry good Spanish wines (like older Rioja’s, Tores, Faustino’s etc.). Most of your wines are French/Australian and those are not really great if you are into Spanish wines. Last time I brought a great bottle of 1989 El Bierzo and when the bill arrived I was charged a whopping 950 baht!?!? Even the most expensive restaurants in Denmark wont charge you more than 300 baht. I think you are totally off scale with that price.

- Don

At least Mantra allows corkage though the fee is exorbitant. Kiss restaurant officially allows NO food or drink brought in from the outside. :D

Would that be, That Top Class restaurant on second road, near Tims ago ago?

have they fixed the aircon there yet

:D:o:D

Edited by plasticpig

Im not defending their 950 baht rate by any means, it is exorbitant. but.... I owned restaurants in Los Angeles and we made 80% profit on booze and 20% profit on food. If I didn't sell drinks I would be out of business. One bartender to make a drink. Food dish, prep cool, main cook, buss boy, waiter, food costs, refrigeration etc. thats why you pay corkage fees but they should be reasonable.

My favorite steak house in beverly hills sells steak without trimmings. The owner told me if he only sold the steak without side dishes or drinks he would be out of business.

Yes, I understand the business need for corkage fees, reasonable ones anyway, but now I am wondering about something. I recall in Australia there are many many BYOB restaurants with no corkage fee, plus tipping isn't a big part of the culture there, plus the food prices aren't bad, how do they do it?

Yes, I understand the business need for corkage fees, reasonable ones anyway, but now I am wondering about something. I recall in Australia there are many many BYOB restaurants with no corkage fee, plus tipping isn't a big part of the culture there, plus the food prices aren't bad, how do they do it?

Maybe because they don't have to invest in expensive wines that they have to buy years upfront and then maybe get sold or not. (the wines that is), or maybe because there's not much profit to be made on cheaper australian wines in Australia.

I don't know for sure just speculating.

cheers

onzestan

Normal mark-up on wine is 150%, but it depends on turnover of the cellar and the number of high-end bottles being stored.

Thus a 900 baht bottle (retail) should be 2,250 baht maximum. If they have a wholesale supplier the pice should be around 1,800 baht.

A bottle of half decent plonk retailing at 750 to 1000 baht would generaly sell for around 3000 baht at the Mantra. so rahter than being a negative the OPs complaint is actualy a positive. ( good deal really)

Im not defending their 950 baht rate by any means, it is exorbitant. but.... I owned restaurants in Los Angeles and we made 80% profit on booze and 20% profit on food. If I didn't sell drinks I would be out of business. One bartender to make a drink. Food dish, prep cool, main cook, buss boy, waiter, food costs, refrigeration etc. thats why you pay corkage fees but they should be reasonable.

My favorite steak house in beverly hills sells steak without trimmings. The owner told me if he only sold the steak without side dishes or drinks he would be out of business.

Hold on you,

First please stop making comparisons to other countries ( a bit silly)

Now are you trying to tell me restaurants in pattaya only make money on booze.

I find this very hard to believe.

Next time your in a expensive restaurant in pattaya have a look at what people are drinking., you might see the 1-2 bottles of wine, but for most you will see people drinking water or a soft drink. are restaurants going to sell water and orange juice at 3000 baht a bottle, think not.

People go to restaurants to eat, not to go on the piss..

Booze in restaurants in pattaya, helps the income.

Careful shopping and cheap labor is the real winner.

BTW if the guy had noticed the corkage charge and then spoke to the manager

about the high charge, Its likely the fee would have been reduced to around 400 baht.

BTW, when people get striped at a restaurant they never go back.

Sorry you being a restaurant owner would already know that one.

Mantra lost that night. for sure.

BTW can you tell me where you keep your white wine in your restaurant in the oven,

with the beers and the ice. Ha Ha

Have a nice day

Edited by plasticpig

BYOB (Bring Your Own Booze) restaurants in Australia are not licensed to sell alcohol so their business model don't have to take alcohol sales into account. They make their money on the food, water and soft drinks.

Yeah I had a massage yesterday that cost me 3,500. Oh the outrage, as I know the masseuse didn't have to pay for her two hands, and etc.

It costs what it costs. You can simply ask first and decline. There are plenty of "overpriced" items on Mantra's menu.

:o

Many countries do not know a corkage fee at all, and that's ok. I agree, that most restaurants make most money on booze.

But anyway, 1,000 Bht for corkage is way over the top. But certainly there are enough people who need this for their image, and complain in the board afterwards :o

I had a look at the Mantra website a while back. Very flashy. No mention of PRICES. That is always a bad sign. They want to attract those who are not at all price sensitive, so needless to say I have never been there, and never will.

I had a look at the Mantra website a while back. Very flashy. No mention of PRICES. That is always a bad sign. They want to attract those who are not at all price sensitive, so needless to say I have never been there, and never will.

You should try all the restaurants in town at some point in time.

My favorite is still Matahari

The best for price, service, and taste.

Consistent over the years.

Must admit last time I was there the booze bill was 7000 and the food

was around 4000, got a real taste for brandy that night.

Most times it around 2500 for the wife and me.

Have a nice day

Edited by plasticpig

Yup, I checked their website as well and by Pattaya standards is it quite expensive. Therefore as one of the previous posters said, the corkage fee will more than likely match the restaurant prices.

I don't really have a problem with this, and if you can afford those prices then the high corkage charge shouldn't come as a surprise.

As asked by the OP, I sent an email to mantra asking prices for corkage, still not had a reply!!!! if you are not happy about paying the price do not go there!!! I think it is over the top and the food is mediocre at best.

Hold on you,

First please stop making comparisons to other countries ( a bit silly)

Now are you trying to tell me restaurants in pattaya only make money on booze.

I find this very hard to believe.

Next time your in a expensive restaurant in pattaya have a look at what people are drinking., you might see the 1-2 bottles of wine, but for most you will see people drinking water or a soft drink. are restaurants going to sell water and orange juice at 3000 baht a bottle, think not.

People go to restaurants to eat, not to go on the piss..

Booze in restaurants in pattaya, helps the income.

Careful shopping and cheap labor is the real winner.

BTW if the guy had noticed the corkage charge and then spoke to the manager

about the high charge, Its likely the fee would have been reduced to around 400 baht.

BTW, when people get striped at a restaurant they never go back.

Sorry you being a restaurant owner would already know that one.

Mantra lost that night. for sure.

BTW can you tell me where you keep your white wine in your restaurant in the oven,

with the beers and the ice. Ha Ha

Have a nice day

Ok, lets assume I don't know what I am talking about and never owned 4 successful restaurants and take your [and my] favorite restaurant as an example, Mata Hari.

I order a bottle of water for 40 baht? [don't remember but about that] costs 7 baht and a bartender opens the refrigerator and hands it out. Done. I would say about 5X profit and very little overhead. Same with your beer.

Now lets take your 350 baht entree. there are 9 people working in the kitchen at Mata Hari to cook it, add food costs at about 1/3, gas for cooking, waiters, dishwashers etc and you tell me what the profit is on that dish.

Just curious since you obviously know more about the restaurant business man than me.

regards Jimmy

Jimmy is correct. The overheads for food preparation and cooking are way way above what it costs to serve drinks. The comparisons to other countries is pretty much the same ratio and percentage-wise, as well. I own a fairly successful restaurant and the main profits are on the drink side of things (that's profits not takings). Anyone running a restaurant with an alcohol licence will tell you that.

Regards

Buzzer88

Their food prices are on their website.. I was considering going there for a meal. I changed my mind when I saw the price on something being 4,200 baht. :o

http://www.mantra-pattaya.com/menu.html

Last year I walked into King seafood with a cheap bottle of plonk (about 600 baht, I hate being ripped off with average wine at best ar premier cru prices) from the corner shop just round on second street.

On arrival the waiter said "excuse me sir but we have to charge fcorkage if you bring your own wine". I asked him how much and he replied "20 Baht" - now that is fair corkage price - no more than A Siam Commercial Bank ATM fee :o

Ok, lets assume I don't know what I am talking about and never owned 4 successful restaurants and take your [and my] favorite restaurant as an example, Mata Hari.

I order a bottle of water for 40 baht? [don't remember but about that] costs 7 baht and a bartender opens the refrigerator and hands it out. Done. I would say about 5X profit and very little overhead. Same with your beer.

Now lets take your 350 baht entree. there are 9 people working in the kitchen at Mata Hari to cook it, add food costs at about 1/3, gas for cooking, waiters, dishwashers etc and you tell me what the profit is on that dish.

Just curious since you obviously know more about the restaurant business man than me.

regards Jimmy

That's a little bit simplistic. for a business man like you.

Don't you think?

1 entrée 350 baht plus 9 people to make it.

How about

50 Entrée at 350

50 Main courses at 750

50 Deserts at 250.

50 bottles of water.

The water wins it, it pays all your bills.

Do I need to 9 x 50 people to make all this?

Don't get me wrong, of course drinks make up a percentage of the profit of a restaurant.

but you were trying to imply, there is no money

to be made selling food in a restaurant. and that is Bs.

Why did you not open a bar if the profit is on the booze. and soft drinks.?

Also how do restaurants that don't sell booze make money

or are they just a hobby for these people.

Have a nice day.

Edited by plasticpig