Is This The Most Expensive Puncture In Thailand?

Mobi

The deal with my new BMW 320D was that I had completely free service and maintenace for 3 years, including rescue from anywhere in Thailand, with the exception of tyres and batteries.

Not surprising :D

Two days ago, I was driving home and a message came up on my dashboard to the effect that one of my "run flat" tyres had lost pressure.

Being a run flat, I continued my journey home. The next morning I drove down to the nearest gas station and had the guy put some air in the offending tyre. He then pointed out that as fast as he inflated it through the valve, it was leaking out again through a large split in the wall of the tyre next to the rim.

So off to Bridgestone in Pattaya, where I was told the tyre was beyond repair, but that amazingly, they had a replacement in stock. My joy sooned turned to horror, when they informed me that the tyre would put me back a whopping 9,300 Baht.

This has got to be the most expensive puncture I have ever had, and probably for most of you. The car has only done 3,000 kms.

Serves me right for thinking I could drive low profile tyres through a bunch of pot holes. :D

Although they had the right tyre in stock, they had obviously never put one on a car, as it took no less than 8 workers almost an hour to work out how to get the old tyre off and the new one on. The was in spite of - or maybe because of - state of the art equipment. Even the big boss came out to supervise, so in a way, you could say I got my money's worth in entertainment :o

I'm thinking of buying an SUV for use on the pot holed roads,and keep the BM for the good roads :D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Run flat just means that it will stay on the rim and not cause a major accident. you numb nuts! not that you can carry on driving.

its not mousse. any way thats probably way cheaper than back in the west.

Also if you got enough money to buy an suv to run around Thailands crappy roads you got enough for a new tyre that you knackered by keeping on driving. as i said you numb nuts.

:o:D

Not so quick on the numb nuts call.

Yes you can keep on driving (there's a Heng that has a tire and mag shop and deals in them as well), it's just that you have to slow down a bit and YES of course it would be preferable that you don't drive all the way home, but instead to the nearest tire place. Myself, I would stop and change the tire, as I view run flats as just buying you more time to safely stop than a standard tire.

:o

Run flat just means that it will stay on the rim and not cause a major accident. you numb nuts! not that you can carry on driving.

Also if you got enough money to buy an suv to run around Thailands crappy roads you got enough for a new tyre that you knackered by keeping on driving. as i said you numb nuts.

Very sorry but you are the numb nuts.

You obviously know nothing about BMW's run flat tyres.

The handbook advises, (and the BMW service manager told me), I can drive up to 200Kms after the tyre has deflated due to a puncture/damage. They told me I wouldn't even notice it, and they were correct - as the car drove pretty much as normal, and the only reason I knew something was amiss was the message on my screen. Even looking at the damaged tyre only shows that it was a little low on pressure - a long way from the normal flat tyre. If it was anything approaching a normal tyre they would have provided me with a spare.

Not withstanding all that, I drove home, because it was late at night and no garages were open - a distance of under 10kms. The next morning, I drove slowly to the nearest gas station, and onwards to the tyre place - all exactly as I should have done. A total distance of no more than 30 kms. - well within the 200 I could have safely driven without doing any further undue damage to the tyre.

I wrote this thread in jest - and to highlight the cost of an unfortunate puncture. I didn't say I couldn't afford it - as if that were the case, I wouldn't have bought the car in the first place.

Next time I suggest you put your brain in gear before you start running off at the mouth.

But clearly English is not your first language so I'll make allowances :D

The deal with my new BMW 320D was that I had completely free service and maintenace for 3 years, including rescue from anywhere in Thailand, with the exception of tyres and batteries.

Two days ago, I was driving home and a message came up on my dashboard to the effect that one of my "run flat" tyres had lost pressure.

Being a run flat, I continued my journey home. The next morning I drove down to the nearest gas station and had the guy put some air in the offending tyre. He then pointed out that as fast as he inflated it through the valve, it was leaking out again through a large split in the wall of the tyre next to the rim.

So off to Bridgestone in Pattaya, where I was told the tyre was beyond repair, but that amazingly, they had a replacement in stock. My joy sooned turned to horror, when they informed me that the tyre would put me back a whopping 9,300 Baht.

This has got to be the most expensive puncture I have ever had, and probably for most of you. The car has only done 3,000 kms.

Serves me right for thinking I could drive low profile tyres through a bunch of pot holes. :D

Although they had the right tyre in stock, they had obviously never put one on a car, as it took no less than 8 workers almost an hour to work out how to get the old tyre off and the new one on. The was in spite of - or maybe because of - state of the art equipment. Even the big boss came out to supervise, so in a way, you could say I got my money's worth in entertainment :o

I'm thinking of buying an SUV for use on the pot holed roads,and keep the BM for the good roads :D

Do new Beamers not come with a spare tyre now?

Or are you uncapable of changing one?

Either way you are a pillock for driving on a flat tyre..... No sympathy here

Do new Beamers not come with a spare tyre now?

Here we go again - ignorance upon ignorance. :o

No spare tyres are supplied with the latst BMW's.

These are state of the art run flats, which, as I have already stated are designed to run for up to 200 kms after you get a puncture.

The whole idea is that you will not have to inconvenience yourself with the need to change a wheel, provides additional safety in the event of a puncture at speed, and it leaves more space in the boot for all my junk :D

BTW did it really appear that I was asking for sympathy? Yet another who seems to struggle with the nuances of the English language. :D

Who is the pillock now? :D

Not so long ago I was driving up from Pattaya on the Chonburi bypass.

Right in the middle of the 2 U-turn bridges just before the elevated road starts I had a blow out.

I managed to get over from the middle lane to the hard shoulder without too much hassle.

Just after I had finished replacing the wheel I looked up and saw a strange sight.

The outer wheel on the third axle of an articulated truck was moving laterally independently of the rest of the truck.

I realized That the axle had sheered when I saw that following the wheel.

The wheel and axle accelerated past the truck just touching my car and passing me at about head height.

Then I noticed that the truck was veering towards me and my car obviously not in complete control.

It whisked past within a hairs breadth.

Chatting with the truck driver afterwards he was determined to get a photo of us together as he reckoned I was the luckiest man he'd ever met as he was convinced he was going to plough into my car and then me.

After that I went to replace the spare and decided it was prudent to change all 4 and ended up costing me B24,000 from memory.

Seemed cheap at the time as the cost could have been much much higher.

Immediately upon arrival I went straight to the pub and drank about a hundred beers.

Cheers

PS Mobi on run flat tyres I would have done exactly the same. But probably wouldn't be bitching about the cost :o

PPS Where the wheel hit my car there was only a black tyre mark , no damage!

Here we go again - ignorance upon ignorance. :o

No spare tyres are supplied with the latst BMW's.

These are state of the art run flats, which, as I have already stated are designed to run for up to 200 kms after you get a puncture.

The whole idea is that you will not have to inconvenience yourself with the need to change a wheel, provides additional safety in the event of a puncture at speed, and it leaves more space in the boot for all my junk :D

BTW did it really appear that I was asking for sympathy? Yet another who seems to struggle with the nuances of the English language. :D

Who is the pillock now? :D

I am pillock kup :D

I still find it hard to belive that a manufactuer would not put a spare tyre in,..... even if it is a nasty space-saver

Maybe now you know the costs of the convenience of driving on a flat, you can add a skinny spare to the boot.

I am sure the beamer dives nicer than my '82 land cruiser..... I am jelous of you

. My joy sooned turned to horror, when they informed me that the tyre would put me back a whopping 9,300 Baht.

Well you wanted inflation and thats what you got! LOL

Roy gsd :o

I posted sometime back that a friend of mine in the US had that same problem with a Corvette. His problem was that the tire had enough wear so that he didn't want a mis match so he had to buy a pair of them. He too was shocked at the price.

. My joy sooned turned to horror, when they informed me that the tyre would put me back a whopping 9,300 Baht.

Well you wanted inflation and thats what you got! LOL

Roy gsd :o

I think $9300 isn't so bad for a run flat on a several million baht car. My lousy regular tyres cost nearly 5000 and a friend has yokohamas at almost $8000 a piece. Expensive euro cars are generally expensive to run, mainly due to the cost of spare parts.

That's a very reasonable price for a Beemer in Thailand. It's why I won't buy one. When you do need to fix it, its too <deleted> expensive even with their 4 year no charge they say they have... only because it is a Beemer. Keep your receipts and call your insurance company. It might be covered under "Road Hazard" if you hit a pot hole. I replaced two tires (one included the rim) on my GF's very comfortable Honda because of pot holes and both times the insurance company covered it.

Makes my 60 baht and four minutes at the puncture repair shop last week look pretty silly doesn't it. :o

Come to think about it, I can beat that.

I once had a puncture in my Fortuner, and called my gardener for assistance. He came along and dropped me home on his motorbike, went back, had the puncture fixed and the car delivered home, and wouldn't accept any payment :D

Quite a jump from free to 9,300 Baht, but I'm glad to hear that I wasn't overcharged, and fully accept the financial perils of driving a beamer.

That's a very reasonable price for a Beemer in Thailand. It's why I won't buy one. When you do need to fix it, its too <deleted> expensive even with their 4 year no charge they say they have... only because it is a Beemer. Keep your receipts and call your insurance company. It might be covered under "Road Hazard" if you hit a pot hole. I replaced two tires (one included the rim) on my GF's very comfortable Honda because of pot holes and both times the insurance company covered it.

Thanks for the tip about insurance - I'll follow it up, but it might adversely effect my no claims.

The whole point about the current BM warranty free deal in LOS is that it will literally cost you nothing except tyres, and batteries. No labour, no parts.

The warranty is 3 years at which point I will trade it in for a new one, so in theory I will never have to pay for repairs and maintenance except these bloody expensive tyres - which, according to some of my esteemed TV colleagues, turn out to be not that expensive after all. :o

Edited by Mobi

A BMW 320D is a 4 door saloon NOT a SUV..

maybe before you start calling people name you might like to have a very quick look on the web... Just type 'Run Flat Tyres' wow there are 100's of web sites, all manufactures make then.

Just the 1st one I opened by Bridgestone

Safety for you and safety for other road users

Bridgestone Run Flat tyres enable you to safely continue your journey even in the case of a sudden loss of air pressure. The Run Flat capability is immediately effective at the moment of pressure loss, keeping the vehicle under control and avoiding potentially fatal situations.

The end of dangerous roadside tyre changes

Bridgestone Run Flat is able to continue driving in comfort and safety for another 80km at a speed of 80km/hour. So you can reach your destination, a safe location or a Bridgestone dealer.

Increased efficiency and comfort

RFT removes the need to carry a spare tyre, reducing weight and offering the end user more storage space and the car manufacturer more design opportunities.

Do you watch TV ? 5th Gear did a test on them a few weeks back, even driving at 70MPH the driver had full control

:D

:D:(

A BMW 320D is a 4 door saloon NOT a SUV..

maybe before you start calling people name you might like to have a very quick look on the web... Just type 'Run Flat Tyres' wow there are 100's of web sites, all manufactures make then.

Just the 1st one I opened by Bridgestone

Safety for you and safety for other road users

Bridgestone Run Flat tyres enable you to safely continue your journey even in the case of a sudden loss of air pressure. The Run Flat capability is immediately effective at the moment of pressure loss, keeping the vehicle under control and avoiding potentially fatal situations.

The end of dangerous roadside tyre changes

Bridgestone Run Flat is able to continue driving in comfort and safety for another 80km at a speed of 80km/hour. So you can reach your destination, a safe location or a Bridgestone dealer.

Increased efficiency and comfort

RFT removes the need to carry a spare tyre, reducing weight and offering the end user more storage space and the car manufacturer more design opportunities.

Do you watch TV ? 5th Gear did a test on them a few weeks back, even driving at 70MPH the driver had full control

:D:o Thank you kindly ignis :D

Hi folks, I find it hard to believe that some people post abusive responses to something which is nothing more than chit chat!

But then I was brought up in a house were you kept your mouth shut when you didn't have anything nice and/or informative to say. I guess some people are just strangely different.....or they are complete tools!

Mobi it's a good thing you didn't own a lamborghini. :o

A HIGH-powered Lamborghini - the same model as Batman's - was sent on a 10,460km round-trip from Qatar to Britain simply to have a service, sparking fury from environmentalists.

The £190,000 black and gold car was put on a regular Qatar Airways flight to Heathrow airport, then flown back after having its oil checked, the The Sun newspaper said.

Well Mobi, I hate to remind you...but when you were considering the purchase of this car, many commented on how impractical (as well as wildly over-priced) this car was for driving in Thailand. You countered that the thrill of driving the "Ultimate Driving Machine" on Thailand's crappy motorways and streets far out-weight any downsides. It's was your decision to make...so I don't understand why someone who sees nothing out of place paying silly money to buy a BMW in Thailand would complain about silly money to keep it running. Don't the two go together?

I'm thinking of buying an SUV for use on the pot holed roads,and keep the BM for the good roads :o

Can you buy your old Fortuner back?

many commented on how impractical (as well as wildly over-priced) this car was for driving in Thailand.

Not exactly. Due to favourable tax structure it costs less than a Camry with comparable performance or half than comparable BMW petrol version.

Three year free service is also quite practical.

Still, he's been caught on tires - they always find a way to get you, don't they? They don't replace their runflats for free and they were upfront about it.

He's lost about 4-5k more than if he had normal tires on a normal car, or an equivalent of two full service stops, maybe less if he stayed with Fortuner.

Not too bad. Let's hope it doesn't happen every couple of months.

that the tyre would put me back a whopping 9,300 Baht.

My gf once drove her can with a flat tire without noticing, don't know for how long but long enough to break the rim too. Imagine the cost of that had it happened to you...

Still I don't undestand how can you drive with flat tire. I do believe your car's manual that it is OK, but how do they prevent the tire damage in practice? Clever stuff though, saves you a lot of trouble in term of changing the tire in acward places like motorways etc.

Not exactly. Due to favourable tax structure it costs less than a Camry with comparable performance or half than comparable BMW petrol version.

What...are you on something! BMWs are outragously overpriced in LOS. They barely qualify as genuine BMWs but I won't go there.

Still, he's been caught on tires... Let's hope it doesn't happen every couple of months.

Which is a very good posibility given the state of the roads and the building construction everywhere (lots of nails and stuff lying about).

But hey...if one can afford a BMW in Thailand...part of the pleasure of ownership is the "face" one gains by being able to afford to pay expensive parts and repair bills. All the grease monkeys working on your car in the BMW service bay will be mighty impressed! :o

Edited by NotNew2You

Hi folks, I find it hard to believe that some people post abusive responses to something which is nothing more than chit chat!

But then I was brought up in a house were you kept your mouth shut when you didn't have anything nice and/or informative to say. I guess some people are just strangely different.....or they are complete tools!

agreed... but I find it perfectly believable and even expected... but who looks the "numbnuts" and the "pillock" now? They've just made fools of themselves... :o

'NotNew2You' date='2008-08-01 16:34:27' post='2120663'

What...are you on something! BMWs are outragously overpriced in LOS.

If you had followed the original thread you would know that it is simply not true. The 320D comes with absolutely every bell and whistle you can dream of, and I priced it at well over 2 million Baht in the UK. I paid 2.8 million. I don't believe that's outrageously overpriced for a luxury, imported, CKD car in LOS.

'NotNew2You' date='2008-08-01 16:34:27' post='2120663'

They barely qualify as genuine BMWs but I won't go there.

Well let's go there. Every single nut and bolt on every BMW is imported from Germany and put togther in a state of the art assembly plant in Rayong - supervised closely by German management.

I have owned 3 BMW's in the UK, and I can tell you that the one I now own in Thailand is a beautiful piece of well crafted German machinery, and I challenge anyone to say the Thai models are inferior.

Mobi it's a good thing you didn't own a lamborghini. :D

A HIGH-powered Lamborghini - the same model as Batman's - was sent on a 10,460km round-trip from Qatar to Britain simply to have a service, sparking fury from environmentalists.

The £190,000 black and gold car was put on a regular Qatar Airways flight to Heathrow airport, then flown back after having its oil checked, the The Sun newspaper said.

I wonder if they offered three years 100% warranty? :o

Except, of course for the tyres :D

BTW part of my "rescue deal" is that they will come and get me from anywhere in Thailand and take me to the nearest accredited BMW dealer, where it will be repaired under the 3 year warranty. So even if I break down in the middle of the jungle, it will be down to BMW to get me out.

that the tyre would put me back a whopping 9,300 Baht.

My gf once drove her can with a flat tire without noticing, don't know for how long but long enough to break the rim too. Imagine the cost of that had it happened to you...

Still I don't undestand how can you drive with flat tire. I do believe your car's manual that it is OK, but how do they prevent the tire damage in practice? Clever stuff though, saves you a lot of trouble in term of changing the tire in acward places like motorways etc.

I don't know, but the tyre didn't even look flat - just a bit under pressure, which is why I thought it was a slow puncture and that I could re-inflate.

Then I saw the extensive damage and wondered at the technology that kept it firm and stable on the rim.

Well Mobi, I hate to remind you...but when you were considering the purchase of this car, many commented on how impractical (as well as wildly over-priced) this car was for driving in Thailand. You countered that the thrill of driving the "Ultimate Driving Machine" on Thailand's crappy motorways and streets far out-weight any downsides. It's was your decision to make...so I don't understand why someone who sees nothing out of place paying silly money to buy a BMW in Thailand would complain about silly money to keep it running. Don't the two go together?

Not so much a complaint - more an observation, with a bit of an "ouch!" at the cost of a puncture :o

I confess I didn't even know the car had run flat tyres when I ordered it - and I certainly didn't realise the implications.

I am totally in love with my car, and enjoy every single second sitting in the 'cockpit'. It was even more than I was expecting, and due to it's relatively small size and unbelievable acceleration, it gets me out of many slow moving 'tangles of traffic', with easy and safety. And on the express ways and motorways it goes like the wind, with less internal noise than a 330i, and a fantastic breaking system.

As BSJ so rightly comments, this thread is little more than idle chit chat, as my good friend urged me to tell you good folks about the cost of a puncture.

So I did :D