Olympics - No Live Coverage In English ?

garnet

From what i can gather so far there seems to be no live coverage of the olympics

in english I assume one of the local Thai channels will have live coverage but i

somehow expected True with all its sport channels to be covering the events in english

but the lack of mention of the Olympics in the current months magazine leads me to

believe that once again true visions is out to prove what an inept useless company

it is with absolutely no concern for its subscibers

If anybody knows different i would be interested to hear if there is going to be live

coverage in english anywhere on Thai tv

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the olympics are being covered by the free-to-air thai channels with advertising revenues going to those channels... :D

there's no money in it for turd vision to beam the english coverage through their other channels... :o

thai or expat is not an issue here.....although i tend to think that turd doesnt give a toss about their expat subscribers anyway :D

here is the email I received within 30 minutes of mailing them the question if True will broadcast any Olympic events:

Dear Khun,

We truly apologize to inform you that TrueVisions has no license to broadcast Olympics Games 2008. This event will be showing on Free TV channel 9, 5, 7, Modern Nine and NBT channel only. Please keep yourself updated with the Magazine or Free TV website.

Thank you for your kindness and continued support. Write us again whenever we can be of further help to you. Please contact us at 02-7252525 or [email protected]

Truevisions should be able to offer multiple languages and the click of a button on the remote like other sat systems do.

I beleive the point of the rant is that Truevisions are not showing the olympics at all, not that it's in Thai only.

The reference to Thai commentary was in relation to the Thai free to air channels and you should not expect them to be switchable to English.

I don't blame Truevisions in their decision to not buy a contract for the Olympic coverage.

It could be and most likely is a business decision made by their marketing and sales group and they saw no real profit in paying extra for the coverage. Chances are they would have had to sign a huge cost contract for the two weeks of coverage on a Pay Per View type of broadcast and they (True) could not sell enough Pay Per Views to justify the expense to them. Especially if there is coverage on free Thai TV. The general population Thais are not going to subscribe to say an Olympic package of any significant price.

I hardly think they are in business to "screw" over farang customers. We are a minority of their overall customer base.

I remember back I think in the early 90's and Direct TV in the USA was fairly new and they had this special package to view non-stop 24 hour a day coverage of the Olympics. I subscribed to the whole enchilada and watched to my hearts content but later I learned that Direct TV lost their a*ss on that deal as they had very few people actually buy any packages. See this Wiki link to read about the US coverage in 1992 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triplecast

I think it is not as easy as some people think.

It may also amount to the fact that Star Sports/ESPN is not licensed to carry the Olympics.

Whatever, it is what is and I will try to find some coverage on the Thai free TV and hope I can see some things that interest me.

Edited by longball53098

Maybe you should go learn some Thai, your in thailand, what do you expect

We have SBS foreign language station in OZ :o

I doubt they will show the olympics in a foreign language, sbs is like mostly english with like a few different shows in a diff language.

From what i can gather so far there seems to be no live coverage of the olympics

in english I assume one of the local Thai channels will have live coverage but i

somehow expected True with all its sport channels to be covering the events in english

but the lack of mention of the Olympics in the current months magazine leads me to

believe that once again true visions is out to prove what an inept useless company

If anybody knows different i would be interested to hear if there is going to be live

I cant believe the nerve some people have, i just hope your not english. I am! its quiet embarrasing.(not be english but some comments english people make :o )

My guess would be Yank. Those are typical Yank writing faults: no punctuation, one very long run-on sentence, haphazard capitalization of proper nouns. I've seen how semi-literate Yanks write, and that was a stellar example. Before you jump, remember that I too am a Yank.

Cathyy....speaking as a good-humored "Yank," I don't know any "Yanks" who actually call themselves or others "Yanks" :o ...maybe unless they've been gone from the States way too long....

As to the Olympics question, this will be my first Olympics here... so I have no past experience on this in Thailand. But I was talking about this last week with a Thai lady friend, and she said past Olympics coverage on the Thai free TV channels has been pretty extensive... (though the lady in question, while knowledgeable, certainly isn't a sports aficionado). I hope she's correct about that...

Frankly, for a lot of Olympics stuff, you don't really need an audio track in English....though that certainly would be nice. I'd think you can pretty much see the action and know what's happening by watching and hopefully from some graphics... I guess I'll find out soon...if I'm right or wrong about that.

As to the issue mentioned above of watching streaming video from the NBC web site, every time I've tried to access streaming video from U.S. TV networks since moving here, I've gotten error messages saying their online streaming content is only available to U.S. residents, i.e., their servers are recognizing and not responding to non-U.S. IP addresses... There are ways around that, but those may not provide the optimum method for viewing video streaming... as opposed to just viewing low bandwidth web pages.

PS - As a professional writer, I'd also suggest Americans hardly have a monopoly on the malady of bad writing, whether here on TV or elsewhere at large.... Sometimes, trying to decipher the postings here gives one a big headache...

My guess would be Yank. Those are typical Yank writing faults: no punctuation, one very long run-on sentence, haphazard capitalization of proper nouns. I've seen how semi-literate Yanks write, and that was a stellar example. Before you jump, remember that I too am a Yank.

Since you love to use "Yank" you're obviously an Anglophile as well.

Who cares, I'm not watching in protest to China and their policies .

Who cares, I'm not watching in protest to China and their policies .

:o thanks for the laugh