Extension Of Stay Application

Hi,

When applying for an extension of stay based on marriage do immigration scrutinize the letter from your bank showing your financial status? Reason I ask is, there will be a couple of payments into my BB account from within Thailand prior to the 400,000 from abroad. Are they likely to grill me about the origin of these funds or are they just interested in the transfer of the 400K?

Cheers

Hi,

When applying for an extension of stay based on marriage do immigration scrutinize the letter from your bank showing your financial status? Reason I ask is, there will be a couple of payments into my BB account from within Thailand prior to the 400,000 from abroad. Are they likely to grill me about the origin of these funds or are they just interested in the transfer of the 400K?

Cheers

Hi jackr,

Can't offer you much help here, in my case they seem to check everything with a fine tooth comb, but if other people are to be believed, you could possibly get away with it. One guy I know borrowed nearly all the 800,000 Baht just before his visa and got away with it ( If he's to be believed! ) Best of luck. mons.h.

I've no problem with transfering the 400K from abroad and keeping it there, just don't fancy them pressing me on where the other payments came from within Thailand. I'll probably just open another account anyway. When you get the letter from the bank, is it just in regard to the account in question or will it show all accounts you hold with them?

The only thing the bank letter, at least mine, shows is the total amount on the date in question. Your bankbook will be the source of transfer information and they may or may not examine that closely. I would not want to have a bunch of local deposits in mine if I could not explain them. But then I would not want that with any account, anywhere. :o

From my own experience, the letter from the bank is the most important.

The copy of the bank book just shows there is activity on the account.

ie, you bring the money in, you spend it then top it up.

I very much doubt they go thorugh it line by line.

When applying for the extension of stay, is the wife made aware for any reason of the amount in the bank? Sounds terrible, I know, but she's after a new car and I've been saying until I'm blue in the face that I haven't got enough spare cash at the moment, so dropping in over 400k won't go down too well. It's not that I don't trust the wife and all that, but that's gotta last a year.

When applying for the extension of stay, is the wife made aware for any reason of the amount in the bank? Sounds terrible, I know, but she's after a new car and I've been saying until I'm blue in the face that I haven't got enough spare cash at the moment, so dropping in over 400k won't go down too well. It's not that I don't trust the wife and all that, but that's gotta last a year.

I would guess the chance she will not become aware of your financial standing to be between nil and one percent. There will be extensive conversation with her about all aspects of your life and much of this will be entered onto paperwork in Thai.

I would stress the need for this money in order for you to remain in the country rather than depend on keeping it hidden. Perhaps you can explain that only amounts above the 400k are spendable cash? :o

Just explain that the money has to last all year.

If she wants to blow 200K on a car, then you will be eating at the Wat for 6 months!!

You can never be sure what the immigration officer will ask your wife,

in the my case the main interest is where and how we met.

Has she been to the UK with me yet.

The money side is down to me, as the supporter.

Open a second account to transfer the 400k into........and use your other account for local deposits. If you have just the one account and are asked to show the bank book there is a chance they might pick up on the codes which would indicate the type of deposit that was made be it local or otherwise.This said a friend of mine has just gone for and recieved a years extension and was only asked for a letter from the bank.