Best Deal On Overall Checkup?

girlx

my friend recently paid about 1500b at bangkok christian hospital to get a checkup which did blood tests, liver function tests, etc. (basically checked all systems to see if anything was wrong)... do all hospitals in BKK have this service? is BCH the best deal or is there a better place to go? i would obviously prefer an english speaking doctor.

That Bangkok Christian Hospital is not complete enough I think... for one thing, it does not include the "Cancer Marker" tests which I think is very important.

So far, this is the best deal I've found from St. Louis for 5,100 Baht. Check out the "Program #3":

http://www.saintlouis.or.th/program/pdfe/p...hkup_07_eng.pdf

I'd be interested if you know of a better deal. I'm due for a checkup soon too.

This is the website of Bangkok Christian:

http://www.bkkchristianhosp.th.com/NewBCH/...Promotion_ID=33

Edited by junkofdavid2

hmm thanks #2, that looks good, though it is significantly more expensive as it notes that doctors fees are not even included in that price! i wonder if there is a better deal anywhere else...

I had one done at BNH about 18 months ago. It was around 11,000 but did about every single test I could think of, including all the STD ones.

Oh, and they gave me a voucher for lunch in the canteen! :o

next check up at 50,000 miles...

hmm thanks #2, that looks good, though it is significantly more expensive as it notes that doctors fees are not even included in that price! i wonder if there is a better deal anywhere else...

I think it says that doctor's fee will be charged for "extra items out of this program"... meaning extra tests which you may request. At least that's how I interpret it.

Anyway, I'll be happy to hear of better offers. By the way, the most basic test (program 1) is comparable in price at 1,300 to Bangkok Christian's price. :o

I did a similar check recently...as part of a survey I posted here on TV comparing the daily room charges of the major-farang oriented hospitals in BKK....

I looked at the web sites of Bumrungrad, BNH, Bangkok General, St. Louis and Bangkok Christian... I believe each of their web sites, somewhere on the site, has a package of annual checkup programs listed in some detail, including detailed listings of each service provided in each package.

Most of the above hospitals had 4 or 5 different packages at each hospital, ranging from the simplest employment type checks to the most thorough...with cancer checks, exercise stress tests, mamography (for women), etc etc...

Based on prices and services provided, I found the best value offered (price and services provided) seemed to be one of the middle packages offered at St. Louis Hospital in Sathorn...

http://www.saintlouis.or.th/program/pdfe/p...hkup_07_eng.pdf

http://www.saintlouis.or.th/program/show_d...p?Package_ID=73

PS... I'm not sure how to interpret/translate the line at the bottom of the pdf file that talks about doctor fee.... Someone above suggested the posted prices would not include doctor fees. I'm not sure the language cited means that or not....

PPS... About the doctor fee...even if it is not included..... usually that fee (which in the U.S. we'd refer to as a consultation fee) tends to be around 500 to 1000 baht at hospitals in BKK....

I've been to Bumrungrad and BNH for office visits... And the doctor fee in each instance has never been above 1000.... But... for the record...those were for routine outpatient office visits.... not in connection with health checks...

I had one done at BNH about 18 months ago. It was around 11,000 but did about every single test I could think of, including all the STD ones.

funny how i flinch at 11000 baht but the same tests in the US would probably be about 3 or 4 times that amount at least!

p.s. thanks for the update on st. louis

Edited by girlx

went to BCH today and was pleased with their checkup program. they have a new "promotion" which is more expensive than the one listed on their website so you have to ask specifically for that one. i paid 1300b or so, took about 3 1/2 hours...

The most important thing to consider in getting a check up is the quality and thoroughness of the interpretation of the results. All of the hospitals offer check-up packages and for the most part the cost differences between them are not huge. Pretty much all of them do a competent job of conducting the various tests.

But all these tests are only useful to the extent that a good and conscientious physician studies them and interprets them in the context of your particular medical history. In my experinece, many hospitals -- including some of the higher end ones -- become quite sloppy at this point, and too quick to assure the patient that all is well and provide a glossy booklet when in fact there were significant abnormal findings that warranted further investigation.

• 2 months later...

You should "fast" for 12 hours before your blood test. Nothing but water during that time.

Add Samitived & Thai Nakarin to the list. Usually have 4 or more "programs". Various prices for less or more complete investigations.

check-ups

Formerly known as "Bangkok General Hospital" Off Petchburi Road near RCA & Soi Soonvijai is another great hospital.

Bangkok Hosp

I am 100% sure this topic has been discussed in another thread, maybe even the same OP. Not yours' John.

I think for 1300 or 1500 baht you won't get much. I would want EEG EKG & stress test.

Edited by dotcom

The most important thing to consider in getting a check up is the quality and thoroughness of the interpretation of the results. All of the hospitals offer check-up packages and for the most part the cost differences between them are not huge. Pretty much all of them do a competent job of conducting the various tests.

But all these tests are only useful to the extent that a good and conscientious physician studies them and interprets them in the context of your particular medical history. In my experinece, many hospitals -- including some of the higher end ones -- become quite sloppy at this point, and too quick to assure the patient that all is well and provide a glossy booklet when in fact there were significant abnormal findings that warranted further investigation.

How would you rate St. Louis in regards to your second paragraph?

How would you rate St. Louis in regards to your second paragraph?

Can't say as I have never had a physical there. I seem to recall hearing some feedback from someone else on this board to the effect that it was a bit rushed, but not absolutely sure. I definitely do not recommend Bumrungrad, and do recommend Samitivej, which is where I go myself, for a thorough and thoughtful review of test findings related to patient history.