Taxi Rates In Cm

sylviex

Do any of the taxis in CM use meters ?

I find they always quote an amount according to distance/time (not quite sure how they calculate).

What have your experiences been with rates and what do you consider reasonable for, say, a 15 minute trip within the city/ a 30 minute trip to a place where the driver could easily find another customer/ a 30 minute trip to a place where the driver will not be able to find a return fare ?

Edited by sylviex

The new(ish) blue & yellow taxis are definitely metered. In June I used one to go from the Airport back to my house in Mae Jo and the daytime charge was 250THB which I thought was reasonable given the distance of approx 25k

Cheers,

Pikey.

Do any of the taxis in CM use meters ?

I find they always quote an amount according to distance/time (not quite sure how they calculate).

What have your experiences been with rates and what do you consider reasonable for, say, a 15 minute trip within the city/ a 30 minute trip to a place where the driver could easily find another customer/ a 30 minute trip to a place where the driver will not be able to find a return fare ?

I don't think there's any hard and fast rule regarding the price, but I feel that most transport systems in Chiangmai are reasonably priced. Haggle where you can until satisfied or just accept a metered cab. Either way you will ge where you want to go.

Edited by uptheos

Uptheos, the problem is that I don't know how to judge what's reasonable. Those who drive here might have a better idea. I'd also like to hear from other taxi users.

Pikey, that does sound reasonable.

Do daytime and night time rates differ much ?

P.S. If anyone has collected names & phone numbers of drivers who are happy to use their meters, please post here. If their English is also OK, mention that.

Edited by sylviex