Boycott The Pattaya Taxi Meter Mafia (please)

Jingthing

As you all know by now, the newish Pattaya Taxi Meters DO NOT USE THE METER and are a disgusting corrupt MAFIA.

As this letter indicates, they are also POTENTIALLY VIOLENT. Please do not support these villians!

BTW, we supposedly have a NEW MAYOR who is out to to improve Pattaya's SLEAZY IMAGE. What is he doing about this embarrassment of the taxi meters that don't use meters? Does this fit his image for a new and better Pattaya?

From this week's Pattaya Mail:

Fearing a dangerous situation exists

Editor;

Hello, I am writing this letter because I fear that a dangerous situation exists which could result in tragedy. I was shopping at Villa Supermarket in Pattaya Sunday night around 8 pm with my son who is 19 years old who is autistic. My son and the checker were pushing our cart full of groceries towards the taxi stand in front of the mall area. I approached the first meter taxi (Meter Taxi No. 6) and asked if he would take us with the meter price. He said “No” loudly, stinking of alcohol.

I didn’t waste any time to move to the next taxi driver, who was a little more polite (Meter Taxi No 13), but from behind me the first drunk driver began yelling at me and the other driver insisting that no meter taxi in Pattaya and I should leave. He then picked up a traffic cone and began to attack me! A woman who was with him pulled him back, I moved back to the entrance and asked security to help us cross the street to get a baht bus.

The security did little, in fact the driver came again trying to start a fight. I was not in the mood to deal with a drunk idiot and all I wanted to do is get home with my son. The drunk driver then went to his trunk to get a tire iron. I had managed to get a baht bus to take us home, and we were filling up the back when the drunk driver started to demand to our baht bus driver not to move so that he could hit us!

I tried to call the police 1155, but there was no answer! Lucky our driver took off, and the drunk driver seemed unable to get his keys together to start his engine to chase us.

I worry that other unsuspecting people that get confronted like this, especially tourists. This at a time when an international crisis is slowing down tourism all over the world, does Pattaya need to have this kind of incidents to hurt its image?

I love it here, but I can’t condone a bully anywhere. This kind of behavior is intolerable and humiliating and frightening to tourists or anyone. It gives a mafia image to Pattaya meter taxis. I for one will not let this go. I write about this and post it as a warning. Drunk drivers kill people, and never should a public meter taxi be driven by a dangerous violent drunk!

Dr. Penguin

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, of course we are only getting one side of the story...and someone who takes the time to write a letter to the editor may have some incentive to exaggerate somewhat so as to make it more likely the letter is published. That being said, it is more than possible that the driver could have been drunk (not a very good thing in itself) and acted in the manner described. I mean, many people are not on their best behavior when they have tossed back a bottle or two. However, if the writer did in fact only politely decline the first driver's offer of an off-meter fare and then inquire as to the same for the next driver in line, I doubt that even an inebriated Thai taxi driver would act in the manner described. If some curt words were exchanged with the first driver, then it is certainly more than possible there may have been some kind of altercation.

The writer appears to be someone staying in Pattaya for some time (as opposed to a tourist) and as such, should know by now that these "meter" taxis are in fact, not metered. He should also know that the next driver, and the 3rd, 4th and 5th, are in no position or inclination to undercut their fellow taxi driver and that it was silly to even ask. If the writer is a genuine tourist and unawares of these Thai ways of doing things, then he is forgiven for not knowing.

It is unfortunate that these taxis are labeled as "metered." This is where confusion by genuine tourists is apt to occur. They should just remove this lettering and light-box from the taxis and post a fare-board to common destinations like the songtows do at Carrefore and Big C. This would solve the problem and end any confusion as to how they operate.

There is no need, IMHO, for a blanket boycott of these taxis. I think for some residents and tourists, a ride in an air-con taxi (with a sober driver) would be a preferred option over an open-air and possibly crowded songtow. Just so long as people know and negotiate an agreeable fare beforehand.

Edited by NotNew2You

Some people clearly have no BACKBONE. We do indeed have lots of ECONOMIC POWER to change some things here in Pattaya. But not if we are are so nauseatingly "understanding" about a violent mafia. Amazing this rationalizer makes it the letter's writer's fault. Truly classic and totally expected.

Bangkok did not become a greater city and get mostly compliant METER USING taxi meters with people being so understanding about a public transport system that does not serve the public. If Pattaya is to improve as so many give lip service and nothing else to wanting, people here are going to have to get a lot less understanding of the local mafias.

Edited by Jingthing

It is possible that the OP did say something to anger the driver of the taxi.

However....taxis that advertise meters and refuse to use them really annoy me. Every time I run into them, I say "paeng guen pbai" and walk away.

I never use a taxi in Pattaya (or at least not yet) so I will not be supporting the boycott. I will pass the message along to people I know. :o

Well, of course we are only getting one side of the story...and someone who takes the time to write a letter to the editor may have some incentive to exaggerate somewhat so as to make it more likely the letter is published. That being said, it is more than possible that the driver could have been drunk (not a very good thing in itself) and acted in the manner described. I mean, many people are not on their best behavior when they have tossed back a bottle or two. However, if the writer did in fact only politely decline the first driver's offer of an off-meter fare and then inquire as to the same for the next driver in line, I doubt that even an inebriated Thai taxi driver would act in the manner described. If some curt words were exchanged with the first driver, then it is certainly more than possible there may have been some kind of altercation.

The writer appears to be someone staying in Pattaya for some time (as opposed to a tourist) and as such, should know by now that these "meter" taxis are in fact, not metered. He should also know that the next driver, and the 3rd, 4th and 5th, are in no position or inclination to undercut their fellow taxi driver and that it was silly to even ask. If the writer is a genuine tourist and unawares of these Thai ways of doing things, then he is forgiven for not knowing.

It is unfortunate that these taxis are labeled as "metered." This is where confusion by genuine tourists is apt to occur. They should just remove this lettering and light-box from the taxis and post a fare-board to common destinations like the songtows do at Carrefore and Big C. This would solve the problem and end any confusion as to how they operate.

There is no need, IMHO, for a blanket boycott of these taxis. I think for some residents and tourists, a ride in an air-con taxi (with a sober driver) would be a preferred option over an open-air and possibly crowded songtow. Just so long as people know and negotiate an agreeable fare beforehand.

Who are you? Seems that whatever is reported with any negative view of Thailand you ignore the facts and launch into a nonsensical defence :o

Agree that you appear to have your rose tinted glasses on. Your first sentence sets the tone for what is a pretty demeaning reply. What is really required is a decent licensing system of these taxi drivers (and their "meters). Drunk driving on 2nd Road or Soi Boukhaow makes one wonder how they ever get a license.

I am in the provinces and sometimes in Bangkok, but I know Pattaya well and I know about the taxi meter scams. But my experience of being outside Pattaya is that the majority of taxi drivers (metered) run an excellent service and the taxi drivers themselves can't stand the mafias that give them a bad name, because it is bad for business and they are often victims themselves. (Of course there are always a few bad apples that try it on). So it is not only foreigners who suffer at the hands of a taxi meter mafia, it is Thai people and Thai taxi drivers too.

But I have to agree with Jingthing. Most people (Thai and foreign) want to see positive change and development in Thailand; certainly, anything that benefits a country can only be a good thing. In any country there is good and bad, but if people ignore negative aspects - like the taxi scam - or try to justify it, then the status quo will go on. And taxi mafias will continue to enjoy scamming and the rest of us suffer.

So when NotNew2You says: And I quote him: "The writer appears to be someone staying in Pattaya for some time (as opposed to a tourist) and as such, should know by now that these "meter" taxis are in fact, not metered. He should also know that the next driver, and the 3rd, 4th and 5th, are in no position or inclination to undercut their fellow taxi driver and that it was silly to even ask. If the writer is a genuine tourist and unawares of these Thai ways of doing things, then he is forgiven for not knowing."

What message does this give? It's as if NOTNEW2YOU is saying the writer is to blame not the taxi scammers. The writer has been here a long time and his only mitigating circumstances would be if he's a tourist, so he should know better. In other words, the taxi scam is justified. And NOTNEW2You is saying the 3rd, 4th and 5th drivers are have a right to scam people if their fellow taxi drivers are scamming too, and we should accept it....It's difficult to read it any other way.

I know it's very difficult for any individual to change negative things that affect us, and taxi scams are a real pain. But If someone had the guts to give a voice to such things that affect us all, they should be supported and congratulated. The fact is, the taxi meter scam is a fact. It exists. People should speak out.

With you 100% on this one Jingthing. Haven't used these Taxi's from day 1 because all my Thai friends and my Thai husband have stated that no-one should go near these taxi's as they are mafia controlled.

Fortunately, for this fella, he and his son, got away with just abusive language. It could have got a lot worse and even if he had told the taxi driver to naff off because he wouldn't use the meter, I don't believe that was any justification for going to his car to get his tyre iron.

Also, noteworthy information that you can't get hold of the Police either when you really need them too.

Samui had this problem for years,people getting attacked & allsorts. 3 years ago they were supposed to use the meters but have only just done so with a whopping 90baht start price...use the baht buses whenever you can

I would not be surprised if the letter was made up by the editor to fill some space. Most newspapers around the world make up letters to the editor.

That is fascinating! I didn't know that. You must be right. Pattaya taxi meter drivers are perfect gentlemen.

Thanks to those who appreciate my point of view on this. As farangs, we do not have political power, but we do have wallet power. This newish service is so unacceptably bad and not as promised (remember the initial press releases saying they WOULD use meters) that we should simply tell them to STUFF IT by denying them any business at all. No thanks. Now I realize this strategy to get real taxi meters might take 10 or 20 or 30 years (it also took Bangkok a very long time, talk to some old Thai hands about when none of the taxis in Bangkok would use the meters, not that long ago, now MOST do) but just caving and playing the game with this mafia is guaranteed continued corruption and lack of a real public service.

Edited by Jingthing

Who are you? Seems that whatever is reported with any negative view of Thailand you ignore the facts and launch into a nonsensical defence :o

To OP, Whatever, Redman, et al.,

Who am I? Someone who has lived in Thailand for 10 years and stopped beating my head against a wall about things that are not like "back home" and that are unlikely to change in my lifetime :D

But seriously, why are you guys so stirred-up by my comments. I only stated the obvious...that we only have one person's version of what occurred. Is that not a fact? It may be 100% true or 100% made-up...who knows? In any case, I never condoned or defended (either explicitly or implicitly) the reported actions of the taxi driver. Assuming, for the sake of argument, that the letter writer's report (or some version of it) is true, the actions of the driver were in no way acceptable. However, explaining what may have precipitated these actions is not defending them.

I speculated that we may not be getting the whole story. This is based on my decade of living in Thailand. During this time, I have seen Thais of all stripes get worked-up into a lather if they are treated with condescension and/or contempt (as do most people). However, I have yet to see a Thai taxi driver pick-up a street cone (or fetch his tire-iron) to attack someone who ONLY declined to use his services. Maybe I have just been extremely lucky these 10 years, and that in fact, this is a common occurrence and something that you have all experienced and for this reason, you have no problem believing the writer's story. (I mean really, I lived in Bangkok for 4 years and many times politely turned down a taxi who didn't want to use his meter [note I didn't "diss" him, slam the door shut, or kick his car]; and not once did the driver jump out of his car, pop the trunk, grab his tire-iron, and chase me down the street hollering "I'm gonna bash that farang for not using my non-metered taxi services!" Have you folks actually experienced this?)

IMO, it's more likely the writer argued with the driver for 10 minutes about why he was not using the meter when it says "meter taxi" all over his car, and maybe threw in a few choice words about the honesty and morals of the driver (and for good measure, some about the Thai people in general) as well. This kind of action could have set-off the driver and if it had been reported as such, I would be more apt to believe the story of the attack. Absent such a provocation, I find the writer's story highly incredulous. It's likely the writer didn't include these details because they would make him a less sympathetic "victim," with or without telling us about his "autistic" son. It still wouldn't excuse the behavior of the driver, but would put it in the proper context.

As a resident of Pattaya, no one would like to see a true metered taxi service more than I would (even though I have my own car). It would be a nice service to have. Maybe at some point there will actually be one...but this is not it. (No place outside Bangkok has "metered" service even though they have similarly labeled cabs ...not Phuket, Samui, or Chiang Mai.) As of now, we have these non-metered "metered" taxis and for some people, they are an acceptable form of transportation. I just made the practical suggestion that the misleading "advertising" be removed and for people who wish to use them, they be made aware that fares should be negotiated with the drivers.

Edited by NotNew2You

That is fascinating! I didn't know that. You must be right. Pattaya taxi meter drivers are perfect gentlemen.

I was not giving an opinion on the taxi drivers, only the fact that the letter and possibly the whole incident was made up just to make a boring newspaper vaguely interesting for once. I cannot comment on the taxi drivers because I have never interacted with them or used their service because I have a pick-up. However, if they are not using their meters then it is obvious that they should not be used even as a last resort. Read posts clearly before you jump on people Jingthing :o

I would not be surprised if the letter was made up by the editor to fill some space. Most newspapers around the world make up letters to the editor.

Thanks to those who appreciate my point of view on this. As farangs, we do not have political power, but we do have wallet power. This newish service is so unacceptably bad and not as promised (remember the initial press releases saying they WOULD use meters) that we should simply tell them to STUFF IT by denying them any business at all. No thanks. Now I realize this strategy to get real taxi meters might take 10 or 20 or 30 years (it also took Bangkok a very long time, talk to some old Thai hands about when none of the taxis in Bangkok would use the meters, not that long ago, now MOST do) but just caving and playing the game with this mafia is guaranteed continued corruption and lack of a real public service.

How I remember the press releases praising them at start up. Wonder if Howard and Niels will start a public campaign to get rid of those who don't use meters and get drunk.

I normally refrain from commenting on the smug postings we see often on Thai Visa, but 2 posts in this thread already require comment.

colinpattaya knows that it never happened and was a figment of an editor's imagination "only the fact that the letter and possibly the whole incident was made up" make me wonder what he is actually about. Did he speak to the ed or was he there?

As for NotNew2You his line "IMO, it's more likely the writer argued with the driver for 10 minutes about why he was not using the meter", how can he possibly come out with that garbage?????

I wonder if he should be called NotKnown2You and we should all be thankful

As for NotNew2You his line "IMO, it's more likely the writer argued with the driver for 10 minutes about why he was not using the meter", how can he possibly come out with that garbage?????

I guess you have never heard of something called "empiricism." It's the knowledge one obtains from actual observation of events, i.e., seeing, hearing, toughing, etc. My personal experience with Thai taxi drivers is one of never being attacked with a tire iron for declining to ride in a non-metered taxi as was reported by the letter writer. Other than the letter writer, no one has yet said that they too were attacked in the same or similar manner when politely declining to ride in a non-metered "metered" taxi.

As to the suggesting of a boycott...by all means do so if you wish. There aretransportation alternatives available from one's own feet, to motos, to songtows, renting cars, buying one's own moto/car. I would just observe that some people find the non-metered metered taxis an acceptable form of transport. I often observe them in action in the morning while enjoying my coffee at ABP. I have counted up to 6 taxis in the rank and they usually cycle through the entire rank at least every 1-1.5 hours (and this is in the mourning and in low season). I can imaging they do more trade later in the day/evenings and will do even better during high-season.

colinpattaya knows that it never happened and was a figment of an editor's imagination "only the fact that the letter and possibly the whole incident was made up" make me wonder what he is actually about. Did he speak to the ed or was he there?

Not at all, I am just very scepticle about "Letters to the Editor". I am sure that 90% are made up. If this letter wasn't made up then I am very sorry for the person that wrote the letter. Assuming the information contained within it is true then it was a terrible thing to happen. Maybe he should have gone to the Police Station after the event happened with the details of the taxi.....if he was lucky he may have found an Officer who may have helped him.

BTW, we supposedly have a NEW MAYOR who is out to to improve Pattaya's SLEAZY IMAGE. What is he doing about this embarrassment of the taxi meters that don't use meters? Does this fit his image for a new and better Pattaya?

I doubt you would get much action from the new mayor - correct me if I am wrong but is his father not the infamous mafia guy hiding out somewhere who just so happens to control the baht bus & meter taxi network within Pattaya?

Edited by Digger

I doubt you would get much action from the new mayor - correct me if I am wrong but is his father not the infamous mafia guy hiding out somewhere who just so happens to control the baht bus & meter taxi network within Pattaya?

I believe you are correct, but he talks as if he cares about making Pattaya a world class international resort.

DR Penguin is an entertainer/magician who has ably entertained the Pattaya City Expats Club at Henry J Beans several times.

He outlined those events in the Open Forum at the Sunday morning meeting two weeks ago.

Clearly there are two sides to every story, as has been pointed out but this incident took place and has greatly upset Dr Penguin. One of the factors that he stressed at the City Expats meeting was that despite phoning THREE police and helpline numbers he was unable to get any assistance. The 24 hour helpline service did not reply. When asked about this, he checked that he had dialled the correct numbers by looking at his cellphone at that meeting.

Although I have never been threatened or assaulted by a taxi driver I have boarded a baht bus in Soi Beakow which was driven very recklessly. Two Thai women who got on at the junction with Klang got off immediately at the corner of Second Road calling out to me that the driver was 'mow' and 'ting tong'.

I also got off shortly afterwards as he screamed the engine and raced down the outside lane of Second Road. He was clearly under the influence of drink or drugs or both!

Regarding the meters. They will never be used until the metered fares are fixed at a level that the drivers believe can make them a profit and pay for those brand new and expensive cars. They are just trying to make a living. They don't have a duty to make losses to make a few expat farangs happy.

Regarding the meters. They will never be used until the metered fares are fixed at a level that the drivers believe can make them a profit and pay for those brand new and expensive cars. They are just trying to make a living. They don't have a duty to make losses to make a few expat farangs happy.

Exactly !!!!

onzestan

"As farangs, we do not have political power, but we do have wallet power."

Same thing. Money gives you a lot of political power. Whether the story is true or not, the taxi situation in Pattaya is difficult to accept. I had one bad experience, but it didn't involve any violence. Just the driver taking me on a short tour of the city to increase the metered fare. I finally just got out, and gave him his 50 baht. Aggravation over 20 or 30 baht. Very petty. I try to look at it as though it's someone just trying to make a living.

I have been here in Bangkok for awhile now, and am at the point of not getting upset over similar things like this. I just accept it, and live accordingly. I don't care if the taxi uses a meter or not. I pay what it should cost and throw in a couple extra baht so no one gets hit over the head with a tire iron. It upsets me more to see a long-time resident get upset over this kind of thing. It's like eating rice instead of potatoes.

One other thing. Why do you use the term "mafia?" Do you mean it's organized crime? It's another term they use a lot here, and I don't get the meaning.

Edited by Shotime

Surely the whole idea of 'Metered taxis' is to get from A to B for a per km price?

If the poor impoverished meter taxi drivers from Pattaya cannot afford to take the customers for the metered rate why did they become metered taxi drivers in the first place?

All this cr*p about rising gas prices etc does not cut the mustard as the majority have the LPG system installed anyway.

I'm with the OP on this one, drunk or not, metered taxis should be metered. (1,2,3,4am exception)

Dirty horrible thugs pure and simple.

:o:D

I have to laugh. Just have to.

Not too long ago, in a discussion about baht buses and the "baht bus mafia", I made a comment about how long it would be before people were bitching about the "metered taxi mafia" (in reference to all the people that seem to think that metered taxis are the be-all, end-all solution to the problems with the baht buses).

Didn't take long, did it ? And it hasn't even really started, as metered taxis are still few and far between.

Years ago I used to hear stories about taxi drivers in Bangkok, and how they would be pumped up on various drugs ("uppers" and what ever), so that they could drive 18-20 hours per day. Do that for a few weeks on end and how loony do you think those drivers would be, even on a good day ?

Take a baht bus off the road and replace it with a metered taxi isn't going to make much difference as far as the behaviour of the driver(s) is concerned. It will make competition for fares a lot more fierce. Can't cram 10+ people into your average metered taxi like they can with a baht bus. Metered taxis charge the same fare if there is one or four passengers (in other words, if the metered taxi makes a run that comes out to a 15 baht fare, it doesn't matter if there are 1-4 passengers, the total fare would be 15 baht. For a baht bus it would be 5 (or 10) baht per person, and he could have 10+ people on the same trip).

So, replacing baht buses with metered taxis (i.e. 1 for one) would reduce the overall capacity, which would (possibly) result in

a) higher fares to make up for the reduced capacity to carry passengers.

:D more taxis on the road in the future than there are baht buses currently.

The higher fares that the taxis would (will/do) charge would also mean fewer Thais using them. This has already been demonstrated by the most recent attempt at a public bus system. Even when the baht bus mafia weren't hassling them, their ridership was very low mostly due to the 30 baht fare they charged. Most Thais aren't going to pay 30 baht (willingly) when they can get the same service for 5 baht from a baht bus.

So what would the taxis do to make up for the lost revenue ? Charge higher fares ? Increase their level of service to make them a more attractive alternative ? (I can hear some people falling on the floor laughing at that thought)

But in the mean-time, I will join the boycott. No sweat off my brow anyways (unless the moto suddenly breaks down). :D

Surely the whole idea of 'Metered taxis' is to get from A to B for a per km price?

If the poor impoverished meter taxi drivers from Pattaya cannot afford to take the customers for the metered rate why did they become metered taxi drivers in the first place?

All this cr*p about rising gas prices etc does not cut the mustard as the majority have the LPG system installed anyway.

I'm with the OP on this one, drunk or not, metered taxis should be metered. (1,2,3,4am exception)

quite right you are. the price for LPG has not increased since World War I. actually these "thugs" should drive passengers for free and feed from garbage bins!

I don't believe the story. It is unlikely that a meter taxi driver would attack a farang in public for refusal of taxi services.

If it did happen then the matter should be reported to the police with witness statements. Then we would all see it reported in 'Pattaya One News' along with a photograph of the victim fingering the culprit!

My guess is the 'letter writer' was verbally abusive to the taxi driver.

Anyway, what is wrong with chartering a baht bus? I can get to almost anywhere for 100 baht, in central Pattaya. Even a baht bus to HuyYai is only 150 baht from central Pattaya.

quite right you are. the price for LPG has not increased since World War I. actually these "thugs" should drive passengers for free and feed from garbage bins!

And that's too good for em, lock em up and throw away the key!

Nobody's asking them to accept losses. But as it is, you see, somebody wants to make more than just a living. Fixing the meters would reveal that fact; hence, no use of meters.