Can A Landlord Show My Condo Before I am Finished Renting It?

Hey guys,

Can a landlord have people come into the condo I'm renting and show it to them, when I haven't finished my lease yet? I have approximately 60 days until the lease ends, and I don't feel like being cooperative in the slightest.

I want to extend my lease another year, and the landlord said it's okay but he wants to double the rent.

Where I come from this is bullshit, but this is thailand, and I'm just going to find another place. In the meantime though I don't feel like playing host to people that are going to rent from under me.

Any advice?

This sort of hassle is why I would never rent anywhere again unless it was really necessary. I had similar problems with landlords some years ago - this and them not wanting to return deposits for ridiculous reasons.

Its worth reading the contract you signed, but this sort of landlord access is pretty standard in the Uk as well. In the UK the landlord is allowed 'reasonable' access, so in Thailand you can bet they can come and go with 'reasonable' access as well.

Lets face it, as you have told the landlord that you do not want to extend your stay there (for whatever reason) then he HAS to show people around before you leave if he wants someone to move in on the day you move out.

60 days sounds a bit too soon, but unfortunately apart from getting him to agree to 'reasonable' times - IMHO you are stuffed.

Good luck with getting your deposit back as well!!!

Edited by dsfbrit

This is the downside to the "never buy in Thailand" argument. Read your lease, it should be covered. Often they have a clause for two months notice to get out, which won't affect you anyway. Suspect no good will come of you trying to stop the landlord entering, and yeah, good luck with the bond.

Hey guys,

Can a landlord have people come into the condo I'm renting and show it to them, when I haven't finished my lease yet? I have approximately 60 days until the lease ends, and I don't feel like being cooperative in the slightest.

I want to extend my lease another year, and the landlord said it's okay but he wants to double the rent.

Where I come from this is bullshit, but this is thailand, and I'm just going to find another place. In the meantime though I don't feel like playing host to people that are going to rent from under me.

Any advice?

Where i come from, yes he can..IF ..you have told him there will be no more lease for the coming year/period.

For him it is income and you cannot stand in his way trying to make money.

Make sure you will get your deposit back if you leave or stop paying the rent now.

Its normal in a lot of places. Generally it is stipulated in the lease, read the fine print.

Obviously, if the tenant is going the landlord wants the apartment to start earning revenue asap. From the landlord's pov this means he must be showing it before the tenant leaves.

alyx is corect, notice of a showing should be arranged in advance.

Edited by johnnyk

Of course the landlord can show your (his) apartment before you have left. Otherwise he would lose x months rent while looking for new tenant after you have left!

You are being ridiculous just because your landlord wants more rent and you can't don't want to pay it. Grow up!

L

Of course the landlord can show your (his) apartment before you have left. Otherwise he would lose x months rent while looking for new tenant after you have left!

You are being ridiculous just because your landlord wants more rent and you can't don't want to pay it. Grow up!

L

The landlord in this situation is a realtor. He told me that he has sold the apartment, but that I may continue renting for double the price.

I know that's bullshit, because the guy who came to look at it before wanted to live there, not rent it out.

Where I come from, the price of your apartment doesn't double after you have been renting it for a year. I think it's ridiculous, at a time when the Villa market is reporting that 40% of foreigners have left Thailand, that he thinks he can double the rent on me. I mean, read the Thai visa housing section. I read that something like 40% of the condos built this year are going to sit empty. Yet he is going to double my rent.

That's ridiculous.

Where I come from this is called "asshol_e tax"...

Looks like somebody just doesn't like you (living in their apartemnt). After your lovely PM I understand why! :o

L

P.S. Oh sorry, Dan, I just saw that you work as an English teacher in TH...explains the bitterness at least

Edited by lingnoi34

L

The landlord in this situation is a realtor. He told me that he has sold the apartment, but that I may continue renting for double the price.

I know that's bullshit, because the guy who came to look at it before wanted to live there, not rent it out.

Where I come from, the price of your apartment doesn't double after you have been renting it for a year. I think it's ridiculous, at a time when the Villa market is reporting that 40% of foreigners have left Thailand, that he thinks he can double the rent on me. I mean, read the Thai visa housing section. I read that something like 40% of the condos built this year are going to sit empty. Yet he is going to double my rent.

That's ridiculous.

It is ridiculous, but he is calling the shots, that is the problem.

No way of negotiating with him about a more fair deal??

What you could do to be 'awkward' is what some people did when we were looking to buy a property in the UK some years ago.

The people renting the apartment in London that we went to view, did not want to leave the house they were renting. So when we got there, they had left everything in a complete mess. They did not damage anything, they did nothing to effect the lease, but they:-

- left washing hanging up to dry

- dirty plates on the table

- dirty kitchen

- unmade beds

- stuff scattered around

- beer cans left hanging out of bins

and lots lots more...

It looked like a bunch of students were staying there.

It was thoroughly uninviting.

they even left the toilet unflushed and smelly with a 'number 2'.

It was awful.

We became neighbours to some friends of the flat dwellers later on and they told us they did this deliberately to be awkward, as they were in fact very tidy people :o

Edited by dsfbrit

What you could do to be 'awkward' is what some people did when we were looking to buy a property in the UK some years ago.

But he isn't looking to buy a property in the UK - he's trying to escape a rental in Thailand. Being 'awkward' in Thailand can have far more severe consequences than it can in the UK. The best thing he (and you) can do is to stop importing your western assumptions into Thailand. They don't work - they aren't relevant.

But he isn't looking to buy a property in the UK - he's trying to escape a rental in Thailand. Being 'awkward' in Thailand can have far more severe consequences than it can in the UK. The best thing he (and you) can do is to stop importing your western assumptions into Thailand. They don't work - they aren't relevant.

Oh dear, you seem very agitated cophen - are you a landlord or just generaly miserable?? :o

How you can get so 'wound up' about this thread is quite sad.

I think the OP is indicating that he does not want to cooperate when he says - 'I don't feel like playing host to people that are going to rent from under me'.

This example of my experience in the UK, is a way to be uncooperative, whilst being legal.

I neither condone nor condem it - however nothing they did was illegal. Here in Thailand, not flushing the toilet is not yet illegal- or has there been a 'crackdown' I am unaware of?

Edited by dsfbrit

Unless this Landlord is completely out to lunch they would never enter a rental unit unannounced and when the tenant is not present unless in an emergency.

I would think the lease states(maybe in small print) what is allowed and expected. Most lease agreements permit this "showing" with proper notification to the tenant. The tenant cannot say no but should co-operate and give a reasonable time to allow a showing. The condition of the place during that showing is the risk that the Landlord takes. Why make your life miserable over this. If the "lookie" speks your language there is no law that I know of that says you cannot speak to the prospective renter and give him your "thoughts"!

As for the Landlord jacking the rent up double? What did you do to p*ss him/her off?

L

That's ridiculous.

Up to him...he can double the rent if he wants

Up to you...you can pay the new price or find another place

Prospective tenants are not "renting it out from under you"...unless the landlord told you something like, "I want to rent it for double the money that you are paying, but if that does not happen, I will rent it to you for your current rate."

Find a new place, get on with your life.

Hey guys,

Any advice?

check your lease, typically as a landlord I would want the option to show the place.

As for doubling the rent, if the person who purchased says yep, happy to live somewhere else but then I want to make 6% rental yield; if you were underpaying the market rent; or if you are an annoying tenant then yes quite possible to get 2X rent increases.

No idea what a Villa Market would know about 40% of foreigners leaving; quite the opposite in fact, there are more foreigners here than ever.

I have no idea 'where you are from' but I can assure you that significant rental increases occur all around the world for the same reasons as here most likely.

Good luck, would not try to be too argumentative, surely you are an adult and realise that if positions were reversed that all is indeed fair in love, war and rental agreements??!

Since there is no chance you will renew, just find another nice place, and this time buy it or sign a longer rental agreement. Chalk it up to experience. And if it IS in your lease, then I bet next time you should actually read the lease then and be willing to pay a penalty if you don't want this clause (as it has a very real cost for the landlord).

Edited by steveromagnino

Make sure you will get your deposit back if you leave or stop paying the rent now.

If you stop paying the rent I would guarantee this would be mentioned in the lease agreement as being unacceptable and a surefire way to make sure the landlord tries to evict you early. Security deposits should never be used in this way and are a way to guranteeing there are no unpaid bills etc. What happens if the landlord gets a huge phone/electric bill after the tenant has vacated the property? It's for situations like this that a deposit is required.

Deposits are normally returned minus costs for any damange and any unpaid bills.

If you stop paying the rent I would guarantee this would be mentioned in the lease agreement as being unacceptable and a surefire way to make sure the landlord tries to evict you early. Security deposits should never be used in this way and are a way to guranteeing there are no unpaid bills etc. What happens if the landlord gets a huge phone/electric bill after the tenant has vacated the property? It's for situations like this that a deposit is required.

Deposits are normally returned minus costs for any damange and any unpaid bills.

Like you say: " are normally returned" ......Do a search on this and you will be amazed, I dare to say that over 70% is not returned with some lame excuse, or sometimes even without one.

TIT

Hey guys,

Any advice?

Who's gonna stop him doyathink?

Like you say: " are normally returned" ......Do a search on this and you will be amazed, I dare to say that over 70% is not returned with some lame excuse, or sometimes even without one.

TIT

I don't know of a single person personally where the deposit was unfairly held.

Presumably it happens, goodness knows to who.

TIT

the only time I used to hold back deposits was to clear bills, if theres a phone line or i noticed big air con electric bills as an agent I used to hold the money till the bills were cleared....and do you know what, even then sometimes I was out of pocket :o

as for access, 24 hours notice at least should be given and access on the last 30days was my rule....

problem with people renting is they live there for a while and sometimes begrudge the owners as they think their rent money is making them fat, fall into the trap of actually thinking its theirs???

also when leaving how many people demand their deposit back and blatantly lie all bills are up to date.

to the op, surely theres plenty of others out there to rent....

TIT

Oh yes it happens alright, it happened to me, once, but only once.

The overseas landlord claimed that on the advice of the property manager that there was all sorts of non-existent damage and missing items (i.e. light bulbs). There is of course more to the story but seeing as it involves a competitor I will shall withhold the full story from the public forum, perhaps over a beer sometime.

... I also didn't like the landlord showing the condo when i was still renting. But I had no other choice.

... Since you are not comfortable with showing the condo and have disagreements wth your landlord, you may make the condo look less attractive. I don't mean untidy - your landlord may show up with your coworker : ) . I mean leave a pile of books and magazines in the middle of the room, put your clothes on the back of each and every chair, sofa, bed, in the open shelves, making the rooms look cluttered (this will create an impression that the condo is very small). Tell the people about your experience with the rent increase. Make the landlord realize that he will have a better chance to rent the unit out after you moved out.

... When it comes to leaving a mess... Well, imagine you moved out and left dirty dishes and unflushed toilet.

- The next lessee will not be affected (he will probably not see the mess - it would be cleaned before he moves in).

- The landlord may not like it, but he will not be doing the dishes, right?

- The maid who would be hired to clean the mess up will like the chance to get an extra 1000 baht.

- At the end this money would be deducted from your (!) deposit and your reputation may have suffered as well.

just my two cents