New Tops Supermarket

Ungabunga

A man in a bar told me last night that a TOPS supermarket is opening soon in Jomtien Complex. Bearing in mind that another man in a (different) pub told me that the same place was going to be a 'Tony's Gym', I'm not so sure.... Anyone confirm any of this ?

I hear also that Shenanigans Pub is about to open nearby too, which is nice (this information however was not from a man in a bar, but a bloke in a supermarket).

:o

A man in a bar told me last night that a TOPS supermarket is opening soon in Jomtien Complex. Bearing in mind that another man in a (different) pub told me that the same place was going to be a 'Tony's Gym', I'm not so sure.... Anyone confirm any of this ?

I hear also that Shenanigans Pub is about to open nearby too, which is nice (this information however was not from a man in a bar, but a bloke in a supermarket).

:o

Shennanigans have bought the Irish bar in the Jomtien comlex, the owners spent too much on fitout and could not sustain the low season.

Not sure about Tops.

I noticed that Flannigan's had recently become yet another branch of Shenanigan's. If they aren't already open, it must be any day now as they have changed the decor a bit and knocked two new windows in the front of the bar, and that all looks finished.

As far as Tops goes, that's interesting, but news to me. Where is there a unit that's large enough? Unless they are going to take over a floor of the multi-storey car park (and two days ago they did have a big crane pulling chunks of it away, so who knows)? The Budapest restaurant has closed for good and the signs etc. removed. But it hardly looks large enough for a Tops. Still, it would be a welcome addition for those of us living near the complex, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It would be about time that Jomtien get's a nice Supermarket. Many people stay around Jomtien and have to go to Pattaya to buy there stuff. There is a kind of Supermarket in Front of VT1 but that one has some overinflated prices and smells some days from rotten meat.

Chang Paarp is correct - the pub was called Flannigans but . Shenanigans is supposed to be opening tonight.

As for the supermarket - yes I think it's where the car park was/is. They are definately doing alot of major work there presently (opposite the Fantasy bar).

Edited by Sommaz

Yes, lots of construction work at the end of the Dick's Cafe soi. Most definitely enough space for a Tops Market, certainly one at least the size of the one at Tukcom. That would be great news if its true. Food Mart near VT 1 is a total rip off.

yes, a tops like supermarket and shops are going into the jomtien complex and right outside is Shenanigans which has most of the same stuff at its pattaya place. I believe they have an opening party tonight at 6 or so, ate there last night and no complaints except for the delay in getting my hamburger after my soup. all tasty though

Yes, lots of construction work at the end of the Dick's Cafe soi. Most definitely enough space for a Tops Market, certainly one at least the size of the one at Tukcom. That would be great news if its true. Food Mart near VT 1 is a total rip off.

But the have good breakfast pastry and bread there!

There's a big sign on the car park near the (now closed) Bondi gay place that advertises "Shops for sale". The road from the pizza place to JCC is blocked off to traffic. It looks like they are going to convert the ground floor of the car park into shops, and presumably also install a Tops supermarket. That should be a winner, with VT1, VT2, VT5, JCC, Plaza (not to mention - probably - VT7 soon) - that's around 5000+ units all within an easy walk, not including Grand and Jomtien condotels. And lots of parking if they keep the upper floors of the car park open. It will be nice to see that huge waste of space being utilised, not to mention making shopping much easier for people living in this area, which probably has the densest population of expats in the whole city.

When does the first Starbucks come to Jomtien? I don't actually go to Starbucks but it is symbolic.

A decent grocery for everyday needs that isn't a FoodMart style tourist trap is greatly overdue in Jomtien. We do need some other basic services such as a Watsons/Boots and a Thai language school.

What other basic services do you think we are missing here?

Edited by Jingthing

When does the first Starbucks come to Jomtien? I don't actually go to Starbucks but it is symbolic.

A decent grocery for everyday needs that isn't a FoodMart style tourist trap is greatly overdue in Jomtien. We do need some other basic services such as a Watsons/Boots and a Thai language school.

What other basic services do you think we are missing here?

Well I hope a starbucks never comes here...arent they closing stores in most of the world?

If it did we would surely get MceeDee and other crap following...if I want that there is Pattaya..

By the way I think Foodmart has already sensed the competion - there is a sign now that they are

trying to expand goods and services. There is some kind of mini complex being built in the middle

of Jomtien beach road so we may get those "lovely" chains yet..

But I think there is a bit of a risk here too...just cruise down a little past Soi Welcome and

you can see a huge abandoned "shopping complex" and with a 30% decrease in tourism this year(thanks in part

to immigration changes) I'm not sure it would be worthwhile for a starbucks here..After all the Jomtien crowd

almost by definition moved here to avoid the trappings of Pattaya..

There is no way that I would equate Starbucks with McDonalds. BTW, Starbucks is mostly closing stores that are too close to each other, for example, one on each corner. I think if you polled the expat residents in Jomtien, most would want a Starbucks. They might want a McD's also but I don't. I think you are wrong about Jomtien. It is becoming Pattaya anyway without the go go bars, better get used to it.

Edited by Jingthing

There is no way that I would equate Starbucks with McDonalds. BTW, Starbucks is mostly closing stores that are too close to each other, for example, one on each corner. I think if you polled the expat residents in Jomtien, most would want a Starbucks. They might want a McD's also but I don't. I think you are wrong about Jomtien. It is becoming Pattaya anyway without the go go bars, better get used to it.

You mean without the go-go bars that are in Jomtien complex soi 4 soi 5 soi welcome etc? :o

Or maybe you meant the kind that have shows with girls dancing...like that one by the Jomtien entrance.

I didn't mean to equate the quality of starbucks with that of mcdonalds but rather to say where

one chain is found so are usually the whole troop of them, both the relatively good and bad. I don't know about

polls..perhaps we should try one and see? I do admit that I enjoy the starbucks free newspaper and easy

to sit in lounge area...but you have to ask yourself why big chains are nowhere to be found here..

Take a look at the number of restaurants in Jomtien that have closed in the past year - maybe that is why?

Edited by BugJackBaron

As far as I know there is only one traditional go go in Jomtien which I assume is some kind of inside payoff situation as Jomtien is zoned to have no go gos. Businesses come and go. There is a mix of chains and indies in Pattaya and I expect to see a similar dynamic in Jomtien. I agree non-chains have more character, but when I travel I am happy to see Starbucks because they have predictably decent coffee by Thailand standards.

Edited by Jingthing

I personally would love a mac dees and a Star bucks in Jomtien. its a bit of a s*** hole already, 1 mac Ds and SB is not going to make it any worse is it.. It make me laugh when people are so keen to jump on the big brands and love to hate them. I would rather buy a burger from a large chain than lets say some thai burger seller, at least you know the floors are clean and they are professioanl in what they do.

Jomtien desperately needs all these new things like decent supermarkets/MacD/SBucks/etc they will bring people to the area.

..After all the Jomtien crowd almost by definition moved here to avoid the trappings of Pattaya..

In my opinion Jomtien became popular because there was housing suitable for farangs available at something resembling reasonable costs. I don't think it was necessarily an aesthetic or moral decision that led people to choose Jomtien over Pattaya. One the other hand the lack of shopping in Jomtien, especially the lack of a supermarket near Jomtien beach road, was a negative for some, particularly those without their own transportation.

-redwood

More basic infrastructure like Tops will actually make Jomtien MORE desirable and also raise property values. More of same, please! The beach is better here, and also there is a big gay crowd here because of Dongtan Beach. That doesn't mean we don't want basic services.

Edited by Jingthing

More basic infrastructure like Tops will actually make Jomtien MORE desirable and also raise property values. More of same, please! The beach is better here, and also there is a big gay AND straight crowd here because of Dongtan Beach. That doesn't mean we don't want basic services.

I personally would love a mac dees and a Star bucks in Jomtien. <snip>

Jomtien desperately needs all these new things like decent supermarkets/MacD/SBucks/etc they will bring people to the area.

I was speaking with some of the property guys near there and the word is that there will be a McDonalds and/or Burger King plus the other usual suspects such as Starbucks moving in there. The issue will be that they have access to the outside as well as internal to the mall to allow late night customers to enter direct without having to go into the mini mall inside. I could see a fleet of motorcys delivering to the bars in the complex. I think it will be a good thing for the complex and also for the area. I work near there so it will be good for me.

CB

Yes, it would definately be good for the area in general. It's a shame that the Complex never really took off, it's got bags of potential but it needs alot of work doing to it. There are already a number of decent restaurants there, along with some smaller (and cheaper) bars.

How old is Jomtien complex anyway?

More basic infrastructure like Tops will actually make Jomtien MORE desirable and also raise property values. More of same, please! The beach is better here, and also there is a big gay AND straight crowd here because of Dongtan Beach. That doesn't mean we don't want basic services.

Yes, them too.

People should be happy about the gays. Wherever they move in the world, neighborhoods always improve and get more interesting.

Yes, them too.

People should be happy about the gays. Wherever they move in the world, neighborhoods always improve and get more interesting.

i am :o about them, good neighbors, just dont want them to forget I live here too>>>>>

Edited by jimmys

Jomtien has long needed a decent supermarket. I would have preferred BigC, but Tops is better than nothing. *$s would be great. Can't get a decent coffee in Jomtien at the moment.

A Big C is a bit big for that part of Jomtien. I would have preferred a Friendship or Foodland. We don't need another Villa though. One is enough for Pattaya as the market for 1000 baht tomatoes is limited.

Again, so what else is missing? There is indeed a big and growing residential market to be served.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, it would definately be good for the area in general. It's a shame that the Complex never really took off, it's got bags of potential but it needs alot of work doing to it. There are already a number of decent restaurants there, along with some smaller (and cheaper) bars.

How old is Jomtien complex anyway?

IF, my memory serves me correctly it is around 14 years since it was finished, maybe a little older?

No way, Jose!! McD's ok but overpriced coffee no thanks - I can make a perfectly decent cup at home for about 5 baht and drink it on my balcony, why pay some conglomerate 100 baht+ for something that ain't half as good? TOPS........guess we will always get the more expensive supermarkets as well!

No way, Jose!! McD's ok but overpriced coffee no thanks - I can make a perfectly decent cup at home for about 5 baht and drink it on my balcony, why pay some conglomerate 100 baht+ for something that ain't half as good? TOPS........guess we will always get the more expensive supermarkets as well!

Yes Star's coffee is only so-so in my book and too pricey. It's funny how people here say they want American chains. I would

rather see more local Thai chains like Black Canyon (or bluecanyon) or S& P come here. They do coffee better than starbucks.