Britons Abroad - Latest Figures

Prakanong

I added another column and calculated the number of deaths per million visitors. I am pleased to say, Thailand comes out top, streets ahead of its nearest rival India...

If you factor in the population of the country, Cyprus looks rather unfriendly and Thailand comes in 6th:

post-35489-1218556532_thumb.jpg

The BBC survey is not correct.

Thailand did NOT have 860,000 tourists in 2006/2007 from the UK.

It had 746.422* tourists/visitor from the UK and 114,000 people less is a substantial difference.

If the rest of the survey is as accurate.......... :o

* THAILAND_2007_tourist_numbers_res_1_12_1.XLS

LaoPo

Come on, where have you been the last 20 years, just from memory; Euro 2000 the English team almost were send home because of the " fans"..remember? ??

Thats a blatant lie.

My friend was in a bar in Brussels drinking the police came in arrested everyone after spraying CS gas in the bar and deported them back to England....he worked for Amex in Amsterdam at the time and isnt a villain.

Maybe it is because you are not in Europe on the mainland, but whenever the the British mob comes over it is "party time" for them. They are scum, no other words for them.

I live in England and drink with 2 top boys who were close to C18, the people who run the show(when it come to England) these people were there in there 20s Spain 1982 and know exactly whats going on.

No more hooliganism or English disease as it is sometimes called?? No, sorry B. egg , but we disagree

If you get 10,000 - 70,000 men together, pour them full of drink some will fight for the fun of it, now and forever.

It happens in every country but still the Brits really take the cake.

Id say the England supporters are more likely to then Welsh, Irish or Jocks purely due to numbers and reputation.

Sometime I have the feeling they still want to live up to the old name and times when it was really really bad.

It has become les we can agree on that, but it for sure is not over, or doesn't exist anymore.

It doesnt exist on Saturdays in Premier League games, the old bill are too on top, unless the odd unorganised ruck is football violence, IMO its not.

DRUNKEN FOOLS ON A NIGHT OUT ARE THE PROBLEM NOT FOOTBALL HOOLIGANS, BESIDES IF 2 ORGANISED TEAMS OF SUPPORTERS MEET FOR A FIGHT WHATS WRONG WITH THAT?

Edited by boiledegg

"My friend was in a bar in Brussels drinking the police came in arrested everyone after spraying CS gas in the bar and deported them back to England....he worked for Amex in Amsterdam at the time and isnt a villain"

Funny you should say that - I worked in Brussels for years and drank at the Bourse where a lot of the trouble was - main fights at Charlaois (sp) - my pal was in a bar close to the Bourse and was sprayed by the cops for no reason except they were English and drinking quietly - he is a little unassuming guy working in IT in Brussels -

A bit ot tit for tat but Belgian riot police who drank in the same bar told me they were ordered to get the English after revenge for showing them up at Heysel - after Marseille in 98 with the north Africans the Morrocans had planned to get the English in 2000 - the cops well knew this and wanted to bash them as most Belgian cops are not exactly fans of Morrocans

B. egg

I am not a blatant liar, thanks you very much by the way. Please take a look at the links.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2000/ju...euro2000.sport3

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/euro2000/sportstalk/794953.stm

And you are not on the mainland so it is difficult for you to see what goes on when the British fans do come over.

I am very very sure that a whole lot of them are absolutely good guys who love sports and are true fans.

But they are made to suffer by the mob who is there for the other part of the fun, so they are all herded into busses or trains ( the oldest they can find) and are taken straight to the stadium. Now that is because nothing ever happens of course.

In stand by my previous post, those guys who spoil it for the true fans are scum.

And I was not talking about what happens in England because this topic is about Britain's abroad, and we are sidetracking enough as it is.

And what everbody has heard from a friend of a friend or whatever is fine with me, i couldnot care less about that.

I added another column and calculated the number of deaths per million visitors. I am pleased to say, Thailand comes out top, streets ahead of its nearest rival India

Country British visits (millions) Deaths Deaths per million visitors

Thailand 0.86 269 312.79

India 0.6 126 210.00

Germany 2.37 294 124.05

Australia 0.7 76 108.57

Spain 17 1,591 93.59

Cyprus 1.5 81 54.00

Pakistan 0.28 14 50.00

UAE 1.1 51 46.36

Italy 3.5 156 44.57

Greece 3 131 43.67

Turkey 1.92 69 35.94

France 14.8 385 26.01

US 6.5 95 14.62

Indonesia 0.14 2 14.29

Netherlands 1.9 18 9.47

Let’s be careful out there!

The report doesn't say that all deaths are visitors. It's possible that the high numbers in Thailand is helped by the high number of older expats living here and dying of natural causes.

I added another column and calculated the number of deaths per million visitors. I am pleased to say, Thailand comes out top, streets ahead of its nearest rival India

Country British visits (millions) Deaths Deaths per million visitors

Thailand 0.86 269 312.79

India 0.6 126 210.00

Germany 2.37 294 124.05

Australia 0.7 76 108.57

Spain 17 1,591 93.59

Cyprus 1.5 81 54.00

Pakistan 0.28 14 50.00

UAE 1.1 51 46.36

Italy 3.5 156 44.57

Greece 3 131 43.67

Turkey 1.92 69 35.94

France 14.8 385 26.01

US 6.5 95 14.62

Indonesia 0.14 2 14.29

Netherlands 1.9 18 9.47

I'm serious when I say this, isn't it more to do with the type of British visitor Thailand has been attracting!

"The report doesn't say that all deaths are visitors. It's possible that the high numbers in Thailand is helped by the high number of older expats living here and dying of natural causes. "

Of course it includes natural deaths too but is Thailand really the retirement home of choice of that many?

I reckon there hasonly been an explosion of mostly males since 2000 (to pluck a watershed out of the air).

Previously there was not that many andthere will be greater numbers in Florida, spain, France and Aus I would hazard a guess.

Have you ever considered the notorious but unappreciated Microsoft Excel 'round-up' bug?

Let's be careful out there!

Have you ever considered the notorious but unappreciated Microsoft Excel 'round-up' bug?

I checked the results on a calculator: The number of British deaths in Thailand per million visits is still 312.79 which, according to the data given by the OP, is the highest in the world.

I wonder if each Tourist Visa used, or each "Visa On Arrival" used constitutes a visitor? If that's the case the visitirs are likely over counted and the per capita death toll under counted. A typical "visarunner' will need 4-9 visa stamps per year. Just a thought.

Edited by lannarebirth

The report doesn't say that all deaths are visitors. It's possible that the high numbers in Thailand is helped by the high number of older expats living here and dying of natural causes.

I very much hope to be part of those statistics one day.

But not yet.

Not yet. :o

post-35489-1218642763_thumb.jpg

"The figures also suggest that Thailand is, proportionally, the country in which Britons are most likely to end up in hospital, mainly as a result of motorbike accidents, said the FCO."

Ooops ... 'dere it is! Same as it the UK where they scrape "white-liners" off the road by the hundreds.