Trip To Viet Nam, Hanoi Or Hcmc?

stevehaigh

hi, air asia has some good deals to viet nam but i know nothing about the place and fancy a quick holiday there. which is a better starting point, hanoi or HCMC? we are thinking some mountain trekking, sight seeing, all the usual tourist stuff.

also if you have any suggestions about places to go and places to stay or eat, that would be great too.

thanks, steve

Hmm, it is a bit like comparing Oranges and Apples. Ha Noi is the culture capital of Vietnam, whereas HCMC is the commercial capital. Personally, I prefer Ha Noi as it has retained some of its character; HCMC i just another big city in Asia. one caveat though: Ha Noi is pretty miserable in August (too hot) and in Winter (too cold and humid).

How much time do you have on hand?

Hmm, it is a bit like comparing Oranges and Apples. Ha Noi is the culture capital of Vietnam, whereas HCMC is the commercial capital. Personally, I prefer Ha Noi as it has retained some of its character; HCMC i just another big city in Asia. one caveat though: Ha Noi is pretty miserable in August (too hot) and in Winter (too cold and humid).

How much time do you have on hand?

my next border run is oct 31, we were thinking 5 days should be enough but we are totally flexible on that. i was leaning towards Hanoi too. if you have more info, i'd appreciate it.

thx

Good time to visit Ha Noi, but do take a sweater just in case.

In Ha Noi, visit the One-Pillar Pagoda, Temple of Literature, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum and the Museum of Ethnology. As you have five days, I also suggest that you go to either Ha long Bay or the Perfume Pagoda.

I would always suggest Saigon over Hanoi for many reasons:

People in South are much more friendly then in North (more open minded)

Bars, Restaurants and some Clubs remain open till 2am, try Apocalypse Now, Q Bar, Pubs in Pham Ngu Lao (Hanoi shuts everything by 11PM)

Discover amazing Mekong Delta by boat down river and maybe stay overnight in Can Tho

Visit Cu Chi Tunnels just 90 min drive outside of Saigon and get to know how people survived for years in tunnels

Visit former Presidential Palace, War Museum, Tien Hau Pagoda, China Town etc..

Finally enjoy city view from Level 23 at Sheraton......

Cheers!

I'd agree with Inthai, HCMC is more cosmopolitan than Ha Noi. Exiting the Spotted Cow (Ha Noi) 10:30pm one night I looked up and down the road and there was not another living soul in sight. But if you do go there I'd add the war museum and Ho Chi Minh's house to your itinerary and if you do fancy a bit of nightlife there is a great club called Seventeen with live music. The old quarter is worth a visit for shopping.

Adding to Inthai's list for HCMC I'd suggest a ferry trip over to Vung Tau for a bit of sea air. There is also a replica of the Rio statue of JC plus quite a few bars and restaurants. I don't think the beach is up to much these days but if you fancy a stroll along the sands might be worth the time.

The original post was about touristy stuff; not clubbing. Incidentally, most places in HCMC close down at midnight as well; this has certainly been true for the Apocalypse for at least a few years.

People in South are much more friendly then in North (more open minded)

Superficial; and only as long as they think they can make a Buck :o

Visit Cu Chi Tunnels just 90 min drive outside of Saigon and get to know how people survived for years in tunnels

Overrated tourist trap. :D

I would also like to add something about the people, even if it's for more commercial reasons the ones down South definitely make you feel more comfortable than the Hanoi people...basically, if you like how you're treated in Thailand, you will appreciate the people in HCMC more than in Hanoi.

Both cities are worth seeing and I would say that Hanoi is the nicer physical city, but the people detract from the experience...also, hotels are much less of a good value than HCMC.