Atm - Puts Up Balance Of Account On Screen

12DrinkMore

After a transaction, the ATMs in Thailand automatically put up the balance of your account on the screen for all in the neighbourhood to see. I have complained to my bank manager, who agreed with me; he had to as I we were outside talking and I said, "hey, look that guy's has xxx in his account" I have also written a letter and sent an email to the the bank, Siam Commercial. No answer.

This new feature first appeared about three years ago. In some ATMs the figures were at least 2 cms high, so very easy to read from a distance. For some months now the figures have been a little more discrete.

I consider the balance in my account to be a private matter. And certainly not something to be put up on a screen readable by GFs Wives or any Lek, Pen and Noi standing around.

It does this in Singapore too and I really dislike it - Singaporeans are nosey bstards at the best of times but at an ATM they like to get a real look - its the Kiasu.

Just have to stand there a few more seconds blocking it

Edited by Prakanong

but it's not so much a hassle

its certainly a hassle for those who need both hands to cover the amount

Hmm - in Singapore I have seen old Auntie stand aside to make sure people saw the amount when there was over 3 million. My pal and my comment at the 7 million was why the hel_l as she keeping it in such a low intersst DBS savings account.

Gotta love face

Edited by Prakanong

Hmm - in Singapore I have seen old Auntie stand aside to make sure people saw the amount when there was over 3 million. My pal and my comment at the 7 million was why the hel_l as she keeping it in such a low intersst DBS savings account.

Gotta love face

Is that a lot of money or something?

Gotta love how life is relative.

:o

Gotta love face

How many people do you know with the equivalent of 1 million GBP in their ATM account?

Gotta love face

How many people do you know with the equivalent of 1 million GBP in their ATM account?

More than you, apparently.

:D

Gotta love face

More than you, apparently.

:D

Aye right big boy

Asians might like the cash around but they also like it invested where its earning.

Come on, Prakanong.

Your logic fails in that you're assuming that she keeps that balance in her account all the time (unless you're stalking her). There any number of reasons why folks would have ("large for you" : I mean that in a friendly way by the way) amounts of cash in their current, savings, or checkings account at any given time.

Edited by Heng

Kaskiorn bank does the same thing and I like the feature. I notice that at Kasikorn machines it's hard to read the am't on the screen. The numbers aren't very sharp in comparison to the rest of the numbers/words on the screen. It is, however, pretty easy to see how long the number is: 2 digits, 3 digits, 5 digits etc.

The first time I saw this on the screen, I had to print it out because it looked like I had significantly less money--an 8 on the screen looked like a 6 to me. Now, like some have said, I shield the number with my body or hand if necessary. It's a good feature, I think.

One should always take care when using an ATM. I seldom use them outside.

i always try to get in the atm line ahead of a hot girl so i can flash my 7 figure brokerage balance

brokeraget accounts do have atm cards you know

Well I learned something there - mine in Singapore does not have - just online along wioth all other accounts at DBS.

I'm all for the balance display in very small font, as others have said it saves the annoying receipts.

But i agree with the OP about the font size is WAY to big on some ATM. I went to 1 ATM at union mall and i swear the numbers like 3 inches high and bright red. I'm surprised they didn't make the balance flashing while they were at it.

On the other hand it could be a good way to pick up the kind of chicks that so many foreigners seem to come here for

Methinks some people worry too much.

As a practical matter, I fail to see how a balance shown on an ATM makes it more of a security risk. I doubt someone is going to hang around in ATM queues looking for the person with the highest balance. Perhaps in an isolated situation that might be so, but in general...I doubt it.

I understand the privacy issue...but really, why worry? It is not like that person in the queue knows you (probably does not). Why do you care if someone sees that your balance is 6 or 7 or 8 figures (bahts)?

What I find interesting is when you see someone at an ATM with this "feature", they respond "yes" to the receipt, take a look at the receipt, then let it fall on the ground...

I also think this is a bad move from the banks.. I understand they are trying to reduce paper (receipts), but I think there must be some other way to find that balance, without the world seeing how rich or poor you are.

I cannot fathom why they would even think to go this way about it, when the all the world over you are told to be careful at ATMS and all the other security aspects in relation to your pin number.. seems weird they should implement this at all.

I also think this is a bad move from the banks.. I understand they are trying to reduce paper (receipts), but I think there must be some other way to find that balance, without the world seeing how rich or poor you are.

I cannot fathom why they would even think to go this way about it, when the all the world over you are told to be careful at ATMS and all the other security aspects in relation to your pin number.. seems weird they should implement this at all.

I do not mind it just shown on the screen if you ask for it - had this for years in the UK at my accounts.

Its when it automatically shows my balance after a withdrawal - I would normally be walking away at that point but have to hang around another 1 or 2 seconds ;-0

I understand the privacy issue...but really, why worry? It is not like that person in the queue knows you (probably does not). Why do you care if someone sees that your balance is 6 or 7 or 8 figures (bahts)?

Why worry? I guess when you're getting mugged on your way home because some unsavory characters saw a get rich quick opportunity, this would be a cause for worry.

Edited by dave111223

After a transaction, the ATMs in Thailand automatically put up the balance of your account on the screen for all in the neighbourhood to see. I have complained to my bank manager, who agreed with me; he had to as I we were outside talking and I said, "hey, look that guy's has xxx in his account" I have also written a letter and sent an email to the the bank, Siam Commercial. No answer.

This new feature first appeared about three years ago. In some ATMs the figures were at least 2 cms high, so very easy to read from a distance. For some months now the figures have been a little more discrete.

I consider the balance in my account to be a private matter. And certainly not something to be put up on a screen readable by GFs Wives or any Lek, Pen and Noi standing around.

If this is a big enough problem in your life that you have to share it with others , then you cannot have many problems that most would consider serious and therefore are having a tremendously happy and stress free life.

Congratulations.

On the the other hand you might just be a whiner.

Cheers

Right now, I only use USA ATM cards and my 2 primary cards do not show a balance while my 3rd backup card does. When I go for my 1st retirement extension, I'll probably get a Thai bank account. On average, I wouldn't keep no more than $2000 US in any of the USA/Thai accounts so my balance would generally be below 70k baht. I keep my balance low to minimize possible loses due to ATM card information theft.

Btw, 2 of them are from brokerage firms, Fidelity and Schwab. All 3 cards are fee free.

If this is a big enough problem in your life that you have to share it with others , then you cannot have many problems that most would consider serious and therefore are having a tremendously happy and stress free life.

Congratulations.

On the the other hand you might just be a whiner.

Cheers

having a bad day that you have to answer this, you must really be bored