Fire Breaks Out At Residence Of Auditor General Jaruwan

george

Fire breaks out at residence of Auditor General Jaruwan

BANGKOK: -- Fire broke out at residence of Auditor General Khunying Jaruwan Maintaka in Nonthaburi's Pakkret district early Wednesday morning.

Jaruwan said it was an arson act. The residence is under construction.

She said chief of construction workers at the residence told her he spotted four men wearing hoods on a pickup at the residence early Wednesday morning.

Fire was now under control. Initial police investigation found six traces of oil around the residence. Jaruwan said it was lucky that there was heavy rains when the fire broke out.

-- The Nation 2008-08-13

Go against Thaksin and you get burned.... literally and figuratively...

Any evidence for what you say?

Anyway my main point is the extraordinary picture in the Bangkok post of Jaruvan's huge palace of a house.On a government official's salary such a vast mansion would be impossible.The Bangkok Post report says she places the value at Baht 4 million whereas a group petitionong the National counter Corruption Commission claimed Baht 50 million.I don't have anything against Khunying Jaruvan indeed rather admire her - but everywhere you look strange disparities between assets and sources of wealth appear.

Anyway my main point is the extraordinary picture in the Bangkok post of Jaruvan's huge palace of a house.On a government official's salary such a vast mansion would be impossible.The Bangkok Post report says she places the value at Baht 4 million whereas a group petitionong the National counter Corruption Commission claimed Baht 50 million.I don't have anything against Khunying Jaruvan indeed rather admire her - but everywhere you look strange disparities between assets and sources of wealth appear.

Arson is arson, no matter what the motivations might be!

Arson is arson, no matter what the motivations might be!

Excuse me I said nothing about condoning the arson attack, and in fact unreserverdly condemn any such criminal act.

......my main point is the extraordinary picture in the Bangkok post of Jaruvan's huge palace of a house.On a government official's salary such a vast mansion would be impossible.The Bangkok Post report says she places the value at Baht 4 million whereas a group petitionong the National counter Corruption Commission claimed Baht 50 million.I don't have anything against Khunying Jaruvan indeed rather admire her - but everywhere you look strange disparities between assets and sources of wealth appear.

Any evidence for this?

Family background?

And what has the size /value of the house to do with the fact that this was an obvious arson attack? :o

......my main point is the extraordinary picture in the Bangkok post of Jaruvan's huge palace of a house.On a government official's salary such a vast mansion would be impossible.The Bangkok Post report says she places the value at Baht 4 million whereas a group petitionong the National counter Corruption Commission claimed Baht 50 million.I don't have anything against Khunying Jaruvan indeed rather admire her - but everywhere you look strange disparities between assets and sources of wealth appear.

Any evidence for this?

Family background?

And what has the size /value of the house to do with the fact that this was an obvious arson attack? :o

For heavens sake read my post carefully.

As for disparities between (legal) sources of income and available assets, the evidence is all around.How do you think that so many military and public officials have such vast fortunes on miniscule salaries?

To forestall another genius asking similar questions I have no evidence that Jaruvan personally has had any irregular financial dealings, nor do I condone arson under any circumstances.I expect to be told shortly. as I am always told. that (a) she comes from a rich family (:D married a rich husband © inherited land which has increased in value a zillion times (d) what is a few million dollars these days anyway -or a combination of these.Yawn yawn.It might all be true i Jaruvan's case (I hope so because I like her) but that doesn't alter the fact that a very large number of Thai public officials are corrupt, self serving and greedy.

I think the discrepency between 4 million and 50 million is a little large and needs some explanation. This lady is "Mrs. Clean Hands", so we hope that she can maintain her reputation intact.

Without a proper explanation, this is the sort of thing that Taksin can use to show that he is being unfairly targetted. It wouldn't look good if the people who are so vehemently opposed to him are less than honorable in their own dealings.

It said on the news that she bought the land in 2006 (rather an unfortunate coincidence or not, as the case may be) .

She claims that so far construction had cost her only 4m Bt. I would have thought that was a rather conservative estimate with present cost of materials. It is not exactly a small house. No mention of cost of land.

If someone was going to commit arson it would be to do one of two things. Scare the occupants of the house or burn it down/ cause considerable damage. Seeing as there were only a few builders at the site, it can't of been the first. And a little difficult to cause damage to a shell of solid concrete with piles of sand and bricks lying around.

My guess is someone just wanted to propel this into the media and the news ie. her having this enormous house and any discrepancies viz. her financial situation.

Any evidence for this?

Family background?

For heavens sake read my post carefully.

As for disparities between (legal) sources of income and available assets, the evidence is all around.How do you think that so many military and public officials have such vast fortunes on miniscule salaries?

To forestall another genius asking similar questions I have no evidence that Jaruvan personally has had any irregular financial dealings, nor do I condone arson under any circumstances.I expect to be told shortly. as I am always told. that (a) she comes from a rich family (:D married a rich husband © inherited land which has increased in value a zillion times (d) what is a few million dollars these days anyway -or a combination of these.Yawn yawn.It might all be true i Jaruvan's case (I hope so because I like her) but that doesn't alter the fact that a very large number of Thai public officials are corrupt, self serving and greedy.

I did, that s why I asked the question!

Why to throw up the dirt if there is NO evidence!?

Maybe, maybe, maybe.... isn't it much more eyebrow raising that her house under construction, as the AUDITOR GENERAL, was the target of an arson attack, could it be mudslinging, could it be mabey, maybe, maybe....?

Someone already mentioned Newin.... well it's a very"funny" coincidence - isn't it?

Shouldn't we concentrate on this matter first?

Lets wait and see... what is surfacing on this one.....

Arson attack linked to Thaksin case

Auditor-General Jaruwan Maintaka, a former member of the now-defunct Assets Examination Committee (AEC) said yesterday that four arsonists had attacked her new house, which is under construction in Nonthaburi's Pak Kret district late on Tuesday night.

She said construction workers who were guarding the house told her that four men arrived in a pickup truck and another man in a car gave instructions to pour oil around the house and set fire to it. The fire did not spread because it was raining.

"I do not understand why they committed such an act. Why did they try to burn my house?'' she said.

Jaruwan said phone threats to her were not unusual but no one had ever dared to set her house on fire.

"There is one group who could be responsible who have accused me of being unusually rich by citing the cost of this house,'' she said.

She said the arsonists wanted her to be accused of attempting to destroy her own house as it could be used as evidence that she was unusually rich.

Deputy National Police Chief Pol-General Chongrak Chutanont said he and forensic science officers went to the house after he was informed about the incident at 2.40am. Police found six areas around the house, which had oil stains. Police are still questioning witnesses.

The Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship led by Wanchai Jongjaroonhiran had gone to the house before they petitioned the National Counter Corruption Commission in June accusing Jaruwan of being unusually rich for building a house that is worth more than Bt50 million.

Former AEC chairman, Nam Yimyaem said he believed the attack on Jaruwan's house was linked to an AEC investigation on graft charges against former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Nam said AEC members had earlier faced phone threats and intimidation. He himself had not received death threats but strangers often called his law firm and made intimidating comments after the AEC had wrapped up its investigation and took the cases to court.

He felt that the arson attack was aimed at harassing Jaruwan in retaliation for her's and the AEC's success in the investigation.

Source: The Nation - 14 August 2008

Her credit line with banks is nearly unlimited, she can build any house she wants.

Guess at salary Baht 150,000.

Bank's normal credit line for mortgage. 4 times salary = Bt 600,000

Estimated value of house.Baht 50 million.

Draw your own conclusions but I think there are some questions to be answered

The one part of your post I agree with, given how public officials milk the system in Thailand, is that she can build any house she wants.

50 million isn't a number of how much she has spent so far. It's a dream number by an enemy how much the house should be worth...

Seeing as only the base is done the estimate of 4 million in cost so far sounds reasonable.

still, it would be simple for her as a holder of public office to make an asset declaration (if she has not done so already on assuming office) and put the matter to rest. To achieve the office of Attorney-general one would think that she has family connections and those connections would not be without wealth otherwise how was she able to achieve her current position ? Her current salary really has little to do with how much she can afford to pay for a house.

Her credit line with banks is nearly unlimited, she can build any house she wants.

The one part of your post I agree with, given how public officials milk the system in Thailand, is that she can build any house she wants.

Not with you YH. You saying her salary is 150k a month or year? Surely a month for somebody of her status, which means her annual salary would be in the order of 1.8 million baht per annum. 4 times annual salary (normal way of calculating mortgages) would therefore be 7.2 million mortgage credit extendable by a bank, not 600,000 baht as you suggest.

Funny, I had you corporate capitalists down as a bit more savvy with numbers than that.

Not that this implies the good lady even needed a mortgage. Expect she has a rich uncle who left her a tidy inheritance or married a wealthy man. I'm sure if she has been fiddling the books as Auditor-General, we'll know all about it soon enough from those she exposed earlier. Guess if you can't find the evidence, then you can always resort to arson and intimidation. :o

still, it would be simple for her as a holder of public office to make an asset declaration (if she has not done so already on assuming office) and put the matter to rest. To achieve the office of Attorney-general one would think that she has family connections and those connections would not be without wealth otherwise how was she able to achieve her current position ? Her current salary really has little to do with how much she can afford to pay for a house.

Wise words on all counts, well said! Especially that last sentence.

Whatever any stuff around the back, we will probably never ever know. Please folks let us not forget that this is one very BRAVE woman who held out for truth and justice in financial dealings at the highest level!

And conducted herself most responsibly (ie in silence) when all the rats around were scrambling for her guts.

Obviously she made enemies. TIT. I wish her and her family (and housing) all the best for upholding some principles around here. Others only uphold principals. (And if in doubt, look up those spellings!).

Not with you YH. You saying her salary is 150k a month or year? Surely a month for somebody of her status, which means her annual salary would be in the order of 1.8 million baht per annum. 4 times annual salary (normal way of calculating mortgages) would therefore be 7.2 million mortgage credit extendable by a bank, not 600,000 baht as you suggest.

Funny, I had you corporate capitalists down as a bit more savvy with numbers than that.

Not that this implies the good lady even needed a mortgage. Expect she has a rich uncle who left her a tidy inheritance or married a wealthy man. I'm sure if she has been fiddling the books as Auditor-General, we'll know all about it soon enough from those she exposed earlier. Guess if you can't find the evidence, then you can always resort to arson and intimidation. :o

Plachon, you're right.I stupidly mixed up monthly and annual salaries in calculating bank credit line.Still someway off Baht 50 million using the 4 times rule though.

But I really hope Jaruvan is clean because I like and respect her.Your comment about the rich husband/generous uncle did however make me smile as that or some similar story is what I always hear when a poorly paid official mysteriously is rolling in cash.In some cases it's obviously true -and may well be in this case -but the hard reality of Thailand is that it's usually not.

So there remain some unanswered questions here notwithstanding my rubbish maths skills.

Edited by younghusband

I guess people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

Yep - best quote so far. But of course TIT!

HEY !!! They ALL live in Glass Houses!!!

But I agree she had it coming big time. I just hope it cost HER, and not passed onto her maids, drivers, etc.

If so AND IF TRUE (And only if true) <snip>

Edited by Jai Dee
Offensive dialogue deleted

Guest Bellini
Why to throw up the dirt if there is NO evidence!?

Exactly. People slinging mud at somebody do so because they have an agenda. They know that something will stick even if there is no evidence. It's a game that's being played all the time in politics, not just in Thailand.

Guest Bellini
But I agree she had it coming big time. I just hope it cost HER, and not passed onto her maids, drivers, etc.

If so AND IF TRUE (And only if true) <snip>.

That's the typical mud slinger's game:

Trick No. 1: link somebody to the actions of a convicted criminal. Example: "she had it coming big time. I just hope it cost HER, and not passed onto her maids, drivers, etc."

Trick No. 2: <snip>

Thaigene2, and some other posters in this thread, could easily get a job in any of Thailand's mud-singing brigades.

Edited by Jai Dee
Quoted offensive dialogue deleted

Guest Bellini
How do you think that so many military and public officials have such vast fortunes on miniscule salaries?.

It might all be true i Jaruvan's case (I hope so because I like her) but that doesn't alter the fact that a very large number of Thai public officials are corrupt, self serving and greedy.

Mud slinger's trick No. 3: associate a person with a group of people that are generally believed to be wrongdoers.

I think the discrepency between 4 million and 50 million is a little large and needs some explanation.

Mud slinger's trick No. 4: be vague. Say "I think", "I believe", "maybe", "perhaps", etc. to make people overlook the fact that you have no proof, no evidence for what you allege.

So there remain some unanswered questions here

Mud slinger's trick No. 5: use the concept of "guilty until proven innocent". Make some wild accusation, then talk about unanswered questions.

How do you think that so many military and public officials have such vast fortunes on miniscule salaries?.

It might all be true i Jaruvan's case (I hope so because I like her) but that doesn't alter the fact that a very large number of Thai public officials are corrupt, self serving and greedy.

Mud slinger's trick No. 3: associate a person with a group of people that are generally believed to be wrongdoers.

So there remain some unanswered questions here

Mud slinger's trick No. 5: use the concept of "guilty until proven innocent". Make some wild accusation, then talk about unanswered questions.

Thank you, Bellini... :o

for pointing out what many may not see... and for adding to the growing chorus of those that do.

Bellini, you might want to learn the difference between people raising questions and people slinging mud. Jaruwan has a generally good reputation and that isn't likely to be tarnished simply by having an expensive house. It simply raises questions and once they are answered the matter will likely die down.

Personally, I have no reason to believe she is a wrong-doer. Her family may be wealthy, her husband may be wealthy etc. She is not a member of a revered family nor is she a diety for which we can be accused of blasphemy.

Bellini, you might want to learn the difference between people raising questions and people slinging mud. Jaruwan has a generally good reputation and that isn't likely to be tarnished simply by having an expensive house. It simply raises questions and once they are answered the matter will likely die down.

Personally, I have no reason to believe she is a wrong-doer. Her family may be wealthy, her husband may be wealthy etc. She is not a member of a revered family nor is she a diety for which we can be accused of blasphemy.

That's exactly my position.I didn't sling mud.I didn't say there was no smoke without fire.I merely pointed out there are some legitimate questions that need to be answered.So far they haven't been.