Need To Stay 60 Days

I am planning to stay in Chang Mai for about 60 days in Jan, Feb 2009 and will be taking Thai classes at the AUA language centre. They cannot arrange a study visa but would write a letter to confirm my intention to study.

With this in mind what should my approach be towards a visa to cover my stay, is it still a 30 day with one visa run to extend or wou;ld I get a study visa/ If so what type would that be?

Thanks

Brian

Yes, just locate your closest embassy or consulate. Apply for a single entry tourist visa. There is no need to mention your study plans. Just put down "tourism" for the reason on your application. This will allow you 60 days in Thailand, exactly.

UK people and many others are allowed 30 days entry without any visa, but you clearly need a visa.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks everyone, by the way while i am on here has anyone heard good things about the thai language courses advertised via this site where a 1-5yr ed visa is issued by the school upon registration and payment of tuition fees. Seen courses advertised for around 30000 a year which seems reasonable.

No such thing as far as I know. They can not issue any visa and in any case one year is the max. What they can do is provide the paperwork for you to obtain a single entry ED visa which you then extend for 1,900 baht every 3 months (with proof of study), or a multi entry non immigrant ED visa which allows stay of 90 days and you must exit/return to get another 90 days. This type of visa is valid for one year.

When they say five years it is only that would may be able to continue your study for the period of time - not that anyone is going to provide a five year visa.