Thaivisa.com calling card

ChiangMaiThai

Hi Guys,

The main thing prevening us offering 1-800 access is because to do that we need the support of the CAT which, as a farang-centred business we can never get whilst they regulate their monopoly.  If we could, we would have to increase prices more than the savings!

The card is still productive outside of Bangkok because the TOT currently have an offer whereby if you prefix '1234' before you call the Bangkok number the per-minute fee is capped at 2 baht per minute.

The main advantage of having a 1800 access number is that the ThaiVisa card would work much chepaer from a mobile phone.  This is where the card loses some benefits.    

Instead; I would strongly suggest using a callback system whereby you technically receive a call to your phone, rather than make an outgoing call.  The rates are slightly higher than the ThaiVisa card however there are no connection fees at all.  Of all companies, UWT is by far the highest quality, most reliable and the cheapest from mobiles.

Take a look here for more information

Let me know if you have any questions.

Martin

Calls in Thailand

Hi Martin,

Currenlty I use the CAT Phone Net Card marketed and distributed by Hatari Technology. I think I pay 13.8 Baht a minute to the US. They have a toll free number, but it begins with 001. So I can't call from my mobile as anytime I dial 001 AIS thinks I'm making an international call and won't allow me to proceed.

I would like to be able to make international calls from my mobile. If I access the phone card service via the BKK number, what would be the total cost per minute including my 3 baht a minute AIS charge to the US?

Also, is there any way to access the call back service from my mobile (eventhough I can't dial international)?

Thanks!

Hi ChiangMaiThai,

I know how frustrating it can be to make calls from mobile phones and actually I'm suprised you cannot make overseas calls at all.  

I have been able to call overseas on both my pre-paid 1-2-call phone and also my AIS contract phone without any hassle.  Perhaps you can email me with the details about who provides your service and I'll see what I can uncover.

Did you know that if you do make overseas calls, or send SMS's to people overseas then you are billed seperately by the CAT for this, NOT by your phone provider?  They send their bills in Thai and twice I've throw them out because I was being asked for payment of only 10-20 baht.  After not paying for a few months they then block the overseas service.  It happened to me the first time with me being completely oblivious to it so you might have experienced something similar.  

Can you tell me who is your phone provider, what type of contract you have and which city your phone is registered so I can give you some definite prices.

Personally I tend to use calback from my mobile phone.  It can be used even if you don't have the ability to make overseas calls but it gets more fiddly.  

Let me see how we can get overseas calling on your phone before we look at the best service for you.

Martin