Anyone Spent Much Time In Hawaii?

girlx

thinking of taking a trip to hawaii soon to check it out as a potential place to live! i figure it has the island geography that i live for, asian influence (a huge percentage of the population there is japanese and i for one am a sucker for japanese surf boys), and it is america so i can get a fix of my own culture too and can work there legally if i need to. any comments on life there? is it really as prohibitively expensive as it sounds?

hrmm some of the info on those links is not promising at all. very expensive place to live and no jobs. :o maybe i'll have to look up other islands that are US territory and see if they are any better.

Shouldnt you go to Japan for Japanese surf boys. Surf boys in Hwaii are considered lazy bums.

been to japan and love it but same problem- very expensive and no jobs. all the places i love to live in (western europe, NY, japan, etc.) are very expensive and few job prospects!!!! i guess because everyone else wants to live there too!

Anyone Spent Much Time In Hawaii?, is it much like thailand?..........................................................................

In the '70, I lived in Honolulu for a couple of years.

Since the '90 have been back six times, last was on Jan. 06. So I think I can relate to your questions.

Hawaii is one of the most beautiful vacation spot on earth. It has gorgeous beaches, lust green vallies, waterfalls, vocanoes, black sand beach, plenty of flora and fauna.

Few months a year in summer, it's as hot as Thailand, but Hawaii has tradewind so there is always a nice breeze all the time.

But the place is incredible expensive to live, :D the housing rentals are about the same as living in NY, but you eat much better, more choices and cheaper in NY. I have a habbit of going to supermarkets in HI to compare all the grocery items . Mostly about 80% of these items cost varies from 5% to 30% higher than NY. That understandable since most of the grocers are shipped from the Mainland -US.

Even fast food chain like McDonald, or restaurant chain like Todai costs 10% to 35% :o more than their sister chains on the Mainland. :D

Whenever I was in HI, I drank only gauva nectar. That the only item in the market the cost less :D than the price I pay in the Mainland.

You can save money on your winter clothings. Living in HI is quite easy. :( You don't need many cloths to go with the changing of seasons. You can get by with a T-shirt and a shorts. A muu-muu can go a long way, from day to night, all you need just add accessaries like fresh flower lei, or wearing a flower by the ear, and you are set to party.

I always say to myself........ every young person should take a trip to Hawaii at least once in their life time. :D

This is my 2 bahts.

hrmm some of the info on those links is not promising at all. very expensive place to live and no jobs. :o maybe i'll have to look up other islands that are US territory and see if they are any better.

I wouldn't give up so quickly. As a good friend once told me: "don't quit, 5 minutes before the miracle".

Obviously, you haven't done much research on the subject?

Here are a couple of inexpensive places to stay on Oahu:

http://www.ymcahonolulu.org/accommodations/central_branch

http://www.kaysvacation.com/

Plus places similar on all islands. Also hostels, google: "hostels Hawaii".

Since Hawaii is a little more expensive, many people with homes have built small apartments into their homes, etc. The only way to find many of these hidden gems is to go to Hawaii and look around.

The bus system on Oahu is great! Goes everywhere! When I left, a unlimited monthly bus pass was $15, that was 9 years ago. Maybe it gone up to $20 now?

Hawaii is a special place and it takes a special person to live there. I'm grateful I had 22 years there.

Edited by maxjay

If you want the "island experience" + USA bennies I would suggest that you take a look at Guam.

There are not a lot of jobs there, I hear...but from what I saw, if you are willing to work, you should be able to find something to do.

have u tried gold coast, australia, getting pricy though but till more affordable than sydney. plenty of japanese there also.

It is my impression that most Hawaii natives are forced to leave the islands for better work opportunities. For example, Barack Obama. I used to know some Hawaii people in California. They hung out together and had some kind of island thingie going on, kind of like a cult. Aloha! One of my best friends lived on the big island for about 10 years a long time ago when it was actually cheap. She said they were the best years of her life, but then again, she was young then, so she might have had the best years of her life in Cleveland.

I did some research on Guam. Living costs, quality of life, crime rates, housing options, etc. Frankly, it sounds like a total hel_l HOLE. It is also subject to major storms so houses are mostly like cement bunkers. Enjoy!

Edited by Jingthing

I was born in Honolulu and spent 1990-2001 living between there and other countries. My family gradually moved to a section of the Island called Kahala where we rented at the Kahala beach condos. Actually, just for kicks, the address is 4999 Kahala Avenue and is clearly visible on Google Map. It's the low, flat condominium complex with a small, oval-shaped pool situated next to the Old Mandarin Oriental and across the Waialae Country Club Golfing area where the Sony Open is held every year. It's right next to the beach enclosed in its own reef, but we (friends and I) usually found the beach at the Mandarin more suited for swimming--though ours was better for fishing--because the waves were more wild in the western section and it (western section) was closer to the sewer drainage. Apparently, some retiree named Jack Lord from an old television show called Hawaii 5-0 was living in the beachside suite while we were there and died. Didn't really notice it, though, as the place was full of people in their 70s and on.

Anyway, enough about that. It was a very nice, comfortable life for us kids, but looking back it was obvious how stressful it would have been to support all this.

There are really four prominent residential areas--Downtown Honolulu, Kahala and suburbs, Mililani and Kailua:

In Kahala, houses start at about 1.5 million USD and for that price, don't expect anything nice. Think maybe 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom with window AC built in the '50s and infested with termites. If you plan on renting, condos or apartments are the way to go. Condos are around USD 5000/mo, apartments USD 1500/mo. For something nice, expect to shell out upwards of 10-20 million.

It's not all that bad, though. There's a part of central Oahu called Mililani that's up in the mountains (no beaches) with nice, new housing developments that start at around 750,000 USD (2-story, 2000 or so square feet and laid out structurally to maximize space). The houses are nice, but to keep costs low they're very close to eachother. So you'll most likely be able to see into your neighbors bedroom. People living in this area are more local than retiree and most likely have family in the state. Otherwise, it's a lot like living in the housing developments in Nevada or Texas. Just, not as big and more expensive.

Kailua is like Mililani, but with older and larger houses and a crappy school system.

The last place might be downtown Honolulu. A popular place for college students in this area is the Executive Center located at 1088 Bishop St. Rent starts at about 1000/mo for a 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom apartment, but living conditions are relatively nice as there are no termite problems in highrise buildings and each apartment comes with central air. Also, there's a pool and gym located within the building and a Long's Pharmacy just outside the lobby (Long's offers the cheapest food in Hawaii, but everything is pre-made). Right outside the Executive Center is Fort Street Mall which is pretty much an outdoor food court and farmers marker in one. Hawaii Pacific University is within walking distance; the University of Hawaii is within close driving distance as is Waikiki beach.

*edit* Summary: Unless you have family living here; a ton of money; are Japanese; are broke, but really enjoy surfing and living on the beach, or a combination of these you will most likely be miserable after the initial feelings are gone. Standards of living are pretty low here compared to the continental United States. You'll notice that as soon as you step into the airport.

Edited by Monroe

The Mandarin Oriental, in my time (in the '70) used to be called ' The Kahala Hilton'.

It was a topnotch hotel in her era with elegant high ceiling and beautiful beach front.

When the late Prince Varanada Djavaj (former husband of the late HRH Princess Kalayani started up the new commercial airline ' Air Siam' in 1971. The Prince chose this hotel to held an inaugurate flight between BKK and Honolulu.

There was a big fanfare with local VIP and celebrities attending the gala.

Top Thai fasion designer: Spun Thienprasit lead the Thai fasion show. I was one who did the Chakri style. Proud to be presented our Thai style clothings. :o

Hmm, I didn't know that =) Must have been back a good bit as it had been the Mandarin for some time when I was born. Interestingly enough, since my family moved from Hawaii it's been renamed the Kahala Hotel. Doesn't sound nearly as dignified, but I guess the Mandarin Group no longer wanted it.

Also, I hear that Bishop Estate (now King Kamehameha Schools) decided not to allow the Kahala Beach Condos to renew their lease on the property and the place is scheduled for demolition in 2020. The land will most likely be sold to the hotel, but the Waialae Country Club may also try to get their hands on it.

Always hated that about Hawaii--how the multi-million dollar houses and complexes are worth less than the land they sit on. I suppose it's like that in many places, but Hawaii doesn't have the big-city-feel and infrastructure to merit such prices.

I lived in Hawaii for 40 some years, spent most of my career there. Living cost can be very high; housing cost in particular. But there are offsetting factors. When my son was about 5, we spent a year in Portland, Oregon and in the year, his shoes cost more than we had spent for his entire life up to then! In Portland he needed shoes and rubber boots, etc. whereas in Honolulu he had always just worn rubber flip-flops.

The weather in Hawaii varies from island to island and from place to place on each island. In general, however, it is semi-tropical - hot and humid. Most of the time the trade winds blow steadily from the NE and make the situation very livable. That's the major difference between Honolulu and Bangkok.

If you're interested in education, the public school system is marginal, at best. The University of Hawaii is generally good and some departments are excellent.

Food costs are high - as someone else pointed out nearly everything is shipped in. Clothing varies but you don't need different wardrobes for different seasons; you wear the same things all year.

Rain showers are frequent at certain times of year but, like Bangkok, shelter for a bit and then go on about your business. I owned a Mustang convertible once, but nobody ever wanted the top down. If you did put it down and got caught in a shower, by the time you pulled off the road and put the top up, the shower was over! Just make the air inside more humid!

I still like Hawaii but it is not the same as it was when I moved there before it became a state. Much more expensive now and more crowded, not as friendly as it was. The last time I visited was about 3 years ago, now, and I don't know when I will go back again.

If you think falang in Thailand are discriminated against, try being a haole in Hawaii.

I lived there for four years in this century and started a good business, owned two condos on Oahu , he island that has Honolulu.

Believe me, unless you are of substantially mixed blood and a "local" you will feel the resentment. When I moved to Thailand from Hawaii, I made the distinction that Thais envy and respect falang who deserve it but in Hawaii the "locals" envy but resent haole.

The islands are beautiful to live on, probably more expensive than most places to live and if you live in some of the "haole ghettos", you won't know what I am talking about.

Unlike Thailand, I was abble to take an hour or more walk daily and the ocean views are spectacular. Very healthy place to live but a tourist economy for sure.

I lived in a very prestigious condo building in Waikiki, so had not much contact with the "locals", but when I did, I didn't find the experience rewarding. The Japanese-Hawaiians who came to the islands as field hands really suffered at the hands of the while land owners until just after the second world war when they took political control of the islands and their "old boy network" has its tenacles in most of the judiciary, politicians, etc. While there is a definite "melting pot" feeling, the individual immigrants do stick together, which can be expected. Those on the bottom of the food chain claim some percentge of "native Hawaiian blood" and use that to elevate their status, even to the point of getting free land from the government. After all, the whites stole the islands from the Hawaiians, if you read the history.

Homes broken down into living units is how many deal with the high costs of housing. However, if you do buy a house, it will be extemely pricey unless you choose to live in the neighborhoods where many turn their driveways into a living room, with furniture, carpets and all and park the car on the lawn.

One condo I owned and sold after four years for almost triple the purchase price, after remodeling, has doubled in price once again. Fact: Purchase price in 1999 $155k, sold fall of 2001 for $400K now on the market for $1 million.

With all that said, if I could afford it, I would be living in my penthouse condo in Waikiki this very minute.

Yes it is prohibitively expensive for most. Island culture is not exactly the same as mainland culture. It is a rather small chain a islands with many people competing for the limited number of jobs, houses and other resources. By all mean go for a visit and make up your own mind.

I grew up there so your experiences would no doubt be different and unique to you. Go for it.

Unlike Thailand, I was abble to take an hour or more walk daily and the ocean views are spectacular. Very healthy place to live but a tourist economy for sure.

With all that said, if I could afford it, I would be living in my penthouse condo in Waikiki this very minute.

I'll second that, however I would be living in my former condo on the North Shore of Oahu. Waialua to be exact.

I worked in the visitor industry, and made a decent enough living that enabled me to retire here in Thailand at 52 years old, not rich, but comfortable.

However, we don't know anything about girlx; her age, professional skills, life style requirements, family obligations, etc.?

Some of us are assuming that she wants to live some sort of middle class or luxury life style and has those needs? As far as I'm concerned, the ball is in her court...until she tells us about herself.

Who are you girlx? What do you want out of life in Hawaii girlx?

I lived a very simple, but nice lifestyle, IMO.

It is nice to hear from some former Hawaii people. Speaking of Kahala, I lived for two years in the "maids cottage" of a Kahala mansion. On the beach. A stones throw away from the Kahala Hilton. I paid $250 per month plus I cut the grass once a week. This was in '84-'86. I'm sure a situation like that is more money now. However, I am also sure that there are similar situations available today

I guess the point I'm attempting to get across in this post and in my previous post's: "where theres a will, theres a way". That was true when I moved to Hawaii in '78 and it is still true today, IMO.

Aloha.

Edited by maxjay

Lots of Japanese surf boys in southern California too. I had at least three Japanese friends who enrolled themselves in the ESL program of the college I attended who actually came to the U.S. for surfing.

That said, there are enough many Japanese men in Thailand, not sure about surfers though.

Hawai'i.

Land of aloha.

Aloha = gimme ya money.

Mahalo = thank you.

Unless ya bin there lots, and up with the times, you will be overcharged for most everything.

Actually, damned expensive, food is bland, unless ya know where to go.

Until five years ago, I went there a cupla times a year.

Now my time is spent in LoS, far better people, cheaper by heaps - heaps more to do.

Much more interesting all round.

I was there when the WTC blew up, woteva, marooned for 10 boring days.

Only stopped off to see "The Big Mo'".

A great place for a once only holiday, but do not miss "The Big Island."

I still go if summun wants a companion, but not often.

L.O.S....... Rules.

Edited by Zpete

I love it. But being a New Zealander, Polynesia is in my blood, feels like home.

Ocean life/beach life leaves thailand for dead.

Golf is excellent.

Loads of outdoors activities, sunshine.

Of course it is more expensive than thailand.

Girls are hot, that philipino/japanese mix with a tan and aloha vibe...nice.

No slimy sex tourists

I love it. But being a New Zealander, Polynesia is in my blood, feels like home.

Golf is excellent.

No slimy sex tourists

You find ya "gal" down at Waikiki's Kings Village....... LOL

Mind you they look better than Hotel St.........

Feel for 'her' stubble in the morning......hahaha

Edited by Zpete

Golf is excellent.

No slimy sex tourists

You find ya "gal" down at Waikiki's Kings Village....... LOL

Mind you they look better than Hotel St.........

Feel for 'her' stubble in the morning......hahaha

I know what you mean...seen a few lurkers around the Dennys by the Sheraton one night.

Hardly ever spend any time on Oahu, if I do its North Shore or East Coast.

Maui and Big Island Hawaii usually.

haven't checked this in awhile, nice to see all the new posts with info!

However, we don't know anything about girlx; her age, professional skills, life style requirements, family obligations, etc.?

i am single, 32, no family obligations, work in IT (currently telecommuting for US companies from thailand)... used to living a comfortable lifestyle and also used to having to pay for it as i lived in NYC for 5 years before thailand. i don't drive! which might be a problem...

Aloha = gimme ya money.

Mahalo = thank you.

sounds like thailand to me!

haven't checked this in awhile, nice to see all the new posts with info!

i am single, 32, no family obligations, work in IT (currently telecommuting for US companies from thailand)... used to living a comfortable lifestyle and also used to having to pay for it as i lived in NYC for 5 years before thailand. i don't drive! which might be a problem...

Aloha = gimme ya money.

Mahalo = thank you.

sounds like thailand to me!

Girlx.

Ya gotta go and experience Hawai'i.

A great place for hols, but work, dunno.

Forget all the "expensive crap", check out where locals go.

Touristy areas are rip-off for sure.

As a twice a year vistior from mid 80s till 2001, I found the good shopping and places to eat, NOT WAIKIKI.......so bland, food already dished up, put in m/wave to heat, avoid.

Reckon if you find employment in a similar line, you would find living there really great.

Big help, as anywhere, learn a few phrases in local lingo, attitudes change immediately.

Suppose Honolulu or Pearl City, would be where you would most likely get work.

Now my kids have grown and flown, I stay at backpackers, even more fun, 12 bucks a nite, not for you tho.

Good luck.......Pomaika`i

If you want to try Island life where everyone speaks english and the cost is not to bad you might try the Cook Islands or Fiji. Truly enjoyed them both and actually would have considered retiring there but the Cooks basicly would not let you and Fiji had problems with unstable government.

This has been a few years but you might want to look into them a bit. Good luck in finding your paradise.

quoted from 'girlx'................".i am single, 32, no family obligations, work in IT (currently telecommuting for US companies from thailand)... used to living a comfortable lifestyle and also used to having to pay for it as i lived in NYC for 5 years before thailand. i don't drive! which might be a problem...."

Like I said before on this thread ........" every young person should visit Hawaii once in their life."

'girlx, you'll have the time of your life, Hawaii will offer the best unique experiences different from other places you had been. I'm sure This will stay fresh in your mind for the rest of your life.

If you decide to go to hawaii, have you ever considered staying at YWCA ?

I have traveled extensively throughout the Islands. I camped while I traveled. State parks are free....County parks 5 dollars a day.

Some of the most beautiful places on earth.

I met lots of locals while camping...and got a few job offers as well.

It was a great experience I hope to do again...and I've done it 7 or 8 times now!!

It might be a way for you to get a feel for a particular island...and it's opportunities.

If you'd like some information on camping/hiking/state parks.....PM me, I'd be happy to help.

Aloha,

Eric