Shipping A Car Or Suv To Thailand

jasperblubber2005

From what I have heard it will cost you more than buying a new one over here, which is why very few people do it. They have a bit of a 'closed shop' over here, and will charge up to 300% import duty and luxury tax on cars not produced within certain Asian countries, even used ones.

From what I have heard it will cost you more than buying a new one over here, which is why very few people do it. They have a bit of a 'closed shop' over here, and will charge up to 300% import duty and luxury tax on cars not produced within certain Asian countries, even used ones.

We did have a fairly extensive thread about this, but I think that was about 2 years ago. I too was curious about bringing my pick-up truck over. One TV member found the information about how to calculate the import duties/tariffs/taxes/blah blah blah.

At the time, apparently you had to determine the value of the vehicle, the cost to ship it to Thailand, and the insurance. Total those 3 figures and that is what the duties/tariffs are based on (not just the value of the vehicle) !

It was obviously going to cost me more to to bring the truck over than it was worth (quite a bit more), so I didn't bother.

I talked to another guy about importing a motorcycle a couple of weeks ago. Duties/Tariffs on a new motorcycle can be 150% of the value of the bike ! In other words, a $20,000 Harley would cost you $30,000 to import, making the total $50,000 (cost of bike + import duties).

It seemed obvious (to me) that these duties/tariffs were designed to literally force people into buying vehicles locally, rather than import.

I'll see if I can find the old thread and post it again.

Found the previous threads (they are actually almost 3 years old now).

Exporting Second Hand Car From Uk To Thailand, car export/tax implications

Is It Me, Or Are Car Prices Too High!, In Thailand?

Going by the examples, even importing a 5 year old vehicle could cost you just as much (or more) than the vehicle is worth.

can't remember seeing this question, if its been asked, my apoligies, i am thinking of shipping my car or suv to thailand, anyone got and idea as to what it will cost, i'm sure customs will want to put some kind of cost on this, thanks in advance

jasper

i sent over an older jag some years for a friend,as far as any of us know its still on the docks. my advice dont bother its just not worth it ,they kept on wanting more and more money.my friend just walked away.

al;so another friend braught his wifes new kia over in a container half full of their belongings,same problem if it hadnt been for his wifes tears at losing their possesions he would have left the lot on the dock ,cost him a small fortune in the end as they wouldnt split the cargo to let him take the furniture,had him over a barrell ,lots of tea money.

Take the car into parts and ship them as spare parts.

That's an option I was considering for shipping a motorbike. Apparently the import duties range from 5-40%, depending on the declared "age" and "value" of the parts.

I was also told that it would be a good idea to have the parts sent in through different ports of entry at different times, so it wouldn't be obvious that you are shipping a whole vehicle. Then you'd just have to find a (competent) shop to reassemble it, get it registered and so on.

Suggest you use search function in the top right corner of this page. Go to advanced search options and type in "import car thailand" (etc). Uuse the search thread titles only option for more targted results.

Most threads are in the Motor Forum - about a new one started every other week on this topic

That's an option I was considering for shipping a motorbike. Apparently the import duties range from 5-40%, depending on the declared "age" and "value" of the parts.

I was also told that it would be a good idea to have the parts sent in through different ports of entry at different times, so it wouldn't be obvious that you are shipping a whole vehicle. Then you'd just have to find a (competent) shop to reassemble it, get it registered and so on.

.............. and thats when they'll get you: when it comes to being registered. Ask me - I've tried. Sorry, but its being tried many times before, truth is actually it doesn't matter at all if its made up of imported bits and pieces, you'll still have to pay to register it - and that will be related to the CIF value the authorities give to the bike/car.

But do you remember when a Thai tried to do this with a 40 Million THB Ferrai a year or so ago....... customs flattened it....

There was a tear in my eye when i watched :o

ok...once again....the import of used cars is prohibited. Period.

Bringing in the vehicle knocked-down is an option if you want to use it on private property only as you will never ever get it legally registered.

Now stop dreaming and buy that Corolla - that's what they want you to do... :o