Mae Sai Warning

I went to immigration yesterday expecting a big fine of 5k plus 200baht for each day I was late in informing immigration of my change of address. I took my police report of the change which they kept. So many people must be doing the same thing because they only stapled a warning in my passport that says that the change of address must be on or before I actually change my residence. No fines which was fine for me. I have no idea if this is happening at other immigration offices.

Cheers

Joe

Home owner is required to advise local police and there is a small fine for not doing so; and many Thai do not feel it is something they will do unless made to do so. Although there is a law that requires personal reporting for any move by those who are not here as tourists it is not in general enforcement and most people/police would much prefer it remain that way from reports.

Beware of Nong Khai though!

I got my retirement income certified by my consulate in Bangkok and subsequently applied for retirement soi Suan Phlu whilst there.

They asked me to sign a form where I stated my residence.

A few months later I needed a notification of residence and visited the nearest immigration office, which is Nong Khai.

I got fined 1k baht for not having reported my residence to the local police.

I thought I was OK with the form I signed at Bangkok immigration.

It is a strange situation anyway: you get retirement extension and therefore need to sign a form stating where you live, then you get fined at an other immigration office for not having reported your residence :o

Home owner is required to advise local police and there is a small fine for not doing so; and many Thai do not feel it is something they will do unless made to do so. Although there is a law that requires personal reporting for any move by those who are not here as tourists it is not in general enforcement and most people/police would much prefer it remain that way from reports.

Hi guys,

Can I just clarify a couple of things please?

If I move from one rented property to another, is it the new landlord's responsibility to inform the local police that I will be living at the new address? Are any documents required from me?

Also, I presume it is my responsibility to inform Immigration of my new address? Can I wait until my next 90 days reporting or do I have to notify Immigration on the day I move to a new address? Are there any supporting documents required by Immigration as proof of the new address?

Finally, if I am moving to a new address with my Thai wife (as opposed to renting a new property on my own) are the above queries still relevant?

Kind regards,

Hill16

There are three laws.

One is house owner needs to report you and if rental/hotel or such they should. They will need your passport/entry information and arrival/departure card number. This should normally be done (but most spouses will ignore).

Second is a law that any travel of a non tourist that person must report themselves to the local police station. This is normally not expected or enforced.

Third is the reporting of address every 90 days. This was also unenforced until recently. Now it is enforced when noticed. If you move between reports they may allow you to report or they may request you just hold off until your next scheduled report.

There are three laws.

One is house owner needs to report you and if rental/hotel or such they should. They will need your passport/entry information and arrival/departure card number. This should normally be done (but most spouses will ignore).

Second is a law that any travel of a non tourist that person must report themselves to the local police station. This is normally not expected or enforced.

Third is the reporting of address every 90 days. This was also unenforced until recently. Now it is enforced when noticed. If you move between reports they may allow you to report or they may request you just hold off until your next scheduled report.

Thanks for your help Lopburi3. Interesting to know, particularly one and two! I am quite sure that I am not the only one unaware of this info until now.

I have already paid a deposit for the new address but we won't officially be changing address until 01 September. The new landlord only took a copy of the picture page in my passport. Nothing else. Perhaps I will get the wife to ask if the new landlord will be notifying the local police. It is the law after all and should the authorites choose to enforce it (as with two), there could be repercussions.

Kind regards,

Hill16

The police should be informed by the landlord. Immigration should be informed about the change of address by the person moving, on the day or before the move is made. That is why they stapled a reminder in my passport. They were very eager to keep the copy of the police report which was made one the first day I moved in by the landlord.

I understand that since recently it is no longer necessary for the work permit to be cancelled. I remember Sunbelt posting on that but I cannot find it immediately and found the following instead on the web (strike-through and substitution in blue of some words done by me for clarity):

IMMIGRATION

EMPLOYMENT VISA EXTENSION CANCELLATION

Due to the fact that the Employment Department no longer requires the cancellation of work permits, the Immigration Department has changed the procedure for the cancellation of a work permit holder's employment visa extension and for the dependant visas extensions of his/her family members. When an expatriate employee's work is terminated, the company must issue a letter confirming the cancellation termination of employment. The employee must present such letter to the Immigration Department to be used for the cancellation of his visa extension and the visas extensions of all dependant family members. The employee and family members must make the cancellation in person at the Immigration Department and the cancellation must be made exactly on the employee's last official working day. In the case that the last working day is a holiday or weekend the employee will need to make the cancellation on the last government working day before the holiday or weekend. Upon cancellation, in order to remain in Thailand, the work visa extension holder and his/her dependants must apply for a visa extension an extension of stay. The Immigration Department will grant a 7-day temporary visa extension of stay. The fee for the extension is Baht 1,900 per person...

Source: ww.dejudomlaw.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=109&Itemid=9

In the context of this topic the distinction between visa and extension is of great importance.

--

Maestro

Beware of Nong Khai though!

I got my retirement income certified by my consulate in Bangkok and subsequently applied for retirement soi Suan Phlu whilst there.

They asked me to sign a form where I stated my residence.

A few months later I needed a notification of residence and visited the nearest immigration office, which is Nong Khai.

I got fined 1k baht for not having reported my residence to the local police.

I thought I was OK with the form I signed at Bangkok immigration.

It is a strange situation anyway: you get retirement extension and therefore need to sign a form stating where you live, then you get fined at an other immigration office for not having reported your residence :o

You probably got fined for not notifying the Nong Khai Immigration Office of your residence within their jurisdiction vice the local police. You are required to notify them within 24 hours of your arrival, adjusted for holidays and closures. I, actually the wife - she has the house paper, was fined for my not being reported until 48 hours later 1K Baht; they very politely explained why. Retirement might be slightly different than a Non-O but I think that is the reason for it.

Eric

There are three laws.

Just to expand on that Lopburi (and I've checked this with several people to whom it applies, as well as with various Thai Gov websites)

If you're on a non-imm visa, you have to report every 90-days to Immigration

If you're on a residency permit, you have to report annually to Immigration

Also, once on a residency permit (with or without Tabien Baan) you have to personally report address to the Changwat (Provincial) Police HQ - most residency expats in Chiangmai appear to be doing this at Phra Singh cop shop on Ratchadumnoern Rd in the middle of the old city, even though this is not the provincial HQ.

I've also been told, but have not confirmed, that on residency permits the alien comes under the jurisdiction of the Tessabaan, not Immigration Police in all matters - anyone know anything about this?

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE The police should be informed by the landlord. UNQUOTE

Actually I think not. The landlords keep a low profile lest the government discovers they, in many cases, are not paying taxes on the rental income. :o