Moving To Chiang Mai

Hi,

Great site! I have enjoyed reading old post and have learned a lot of what to expect when I move to C.M. I am sure older members are tired of answering the same questions. I will be moving to Chiang Mai in Nov '08 and would appreciate any suggestions to help me in my move.

A little about me, I am in my sixtys, currently live on an "Out Island" in the Bahamas, U.S citizen, and yes I have a much younger Thai boyfriend (student at Far Eastern University) that I will be living with, and looking foreward to being part of the C.M. gay community. I have known my Thai boyfriend for 1 year and he has visited me here in the Bahamas.

Any advice on applying for my visa? Pros & Cons of hiring a firm like "Siam Legal" to apply for the retirement visa or do it my self through the Thai Embassy in the States??? Any suggestions would be appreciated......

Krabby Ken

If you are applying for a retirement visa there is no hassle at all for applying from your home country. The Thai consulate will send you an application along with other items that you need to provide, and if you deo it according to the simple instructions you should have no problem. As for the police report they require, you should obtain it in the Bahamas before sending in your visa application. As for proof of income, the Consulate should accept statements from your investment firms or banks that are notorized, so you will not necessarily have to send over 800K baht in a Thai bank for up to three years.

I am in the process of doing the visa, and the Thai Consulate seems to be very helpful in my case. You can PM me if you have any other questions.

There is a divergence of opinion as to whether getting an OA non-imm visa in a "home country" is the best way to go or the alternative, entering the country on a visa or a permission to stay at the airport and then immediately going to immigration in Thailand and obtaining an O non-imm visa and then upgrading it to a retirment extension in 90 days.

The two step process in Thailand costs an additional fee of 2000 baht but no police report or health certificate is required.

You must deposit 800K in the bank immediately upon your arrival so it will have aged 90 days when you go for your retirement extension (step 2).

Some people feel that having the OA visa before they travel to Thailand gives them a sense of "comfort" and they don't seem to mind the expense and hassle of getting a medical exam and police report in their home countries.

Each Thai Embassy and Consulate operate by their own rules to some extent so the treatment reported as having been received in varous Thai offices around the world vary widely.

PM me if you have any further "detailed or personal" questions.

A little about me, I am in my sixtys, currently live on an "Out Island" in the Bahamas, U.S citizen, and yes I have a much younger Thai boyfriend (student at Far Eastern University) that I will be living with, and looking foreward to being part of the C.M. gay community. I have known my Thai boyfriend for 1 year and he has visited me here in the Bahamas.

Any advice on applying for my visa? Pros & Cons of hiring a firm like "Siam Legal" to apply for the retirement visa or do it my self through the Thai Embassy in the States??? Any suggestions would be appreciated......

Krabby Ken

I am happy for you but wouldn't this topic be better for the visa section? It doesn't seem to be about gay issue. :o

You sure do not need a legal firm to obtain a retirement extension of stay. The requirement is over 50 years old, 65k per month pension/income in Embassy letter or 800k in Thai bank in Thai bank for previous 3 months or a combination of income/letter and no 3 month requirement, a TM.7 forum with 4x6cm current photo and 1,900 baht. If you do not have a non immigrant visa entry you would also need a visa at 2,000 baht and that would require 21 days remaining on your current entry stamp. That is it if done in Thailand.

If done in states there are two extra requirements - one is a local police check and the other is a medical form. The money can be in US account (until you start extensions in Thailand). Again nothing you can not easily do yourself.

You sure do not need a legal firm to obtain a retirement extension of stay. The requirement is over 50 years old, 65k per month pension/income in Embassy letter or 800k in Thai bank in Thai bank for previous 3 months or a combination of income/letter and no 3 month requirement, a TM.7 forum with 4x6cm current photo and 1,900 baht. If you do not have a non immigrant visa entry you would also need a visa at 2,000 baht and that would require 21 days remaining on your current entry stamp. That is it if done in Thailand.

If done in states there are two extra requirements - one is a local police check and the other is a medical form. The money can be in US account (until you start extensions in Thailand). Again nothing you can not easily do yourself.

Thanks for everyones help - think I will try going through Thai Embassy in the States - Krabbyken

For someone living in the Bahamas and applying in the US embassy, where would he get a police report from? The Bahamas or the US? Also, doesn't the US embassy require a medical report from a US based doctor? OP, if I were you, I would reconsider your choice. If you know you are qualified for retirement extensions, getting this done in Thailand is very easy (especially if you have any pension in which case the bank account portion if needed doesn't require any time seasoning).

If he has been living there a long period expect a local report would be accepted - if not from last home in US. Don't believe they are overly particular on medical reports. But again much is up to the official you are in contact with. If a problem then he has the option to do locally later.

If he has been living there a long period expect a local report would be accepted - if not from last home in US. Don't believe they are overly particular on medical reports. But again much is up to the official you are in contact with. If a problem then he has the option to do locally later.

I have lived in Bahamas for 28 years, so will get police report here on the island. Real easy to do and only cost $5.00 I can get medical report from the V.A. in the states so no cost there! Also have retirement of over the monthlyl minimum so will not worry about the 3 month bank deposit. You guys have been a big help and really appreciate it. I have a question on cars - new or used but will try and put it in the right "forum". Thanks again for the help...... :o

Thanks for everyones help - think I will try going through Thai Embassy in the States - Krabbyken

Using an honorary consulate may be a better option. A search on this forum will give you considerable info on this subject.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Krabby Ken

I wish you luck but the gay 'community' up there is rather cliquey and bitchy but maybe you will enjoy it.

Hi,

Krabby Ken

I wish you luck but the gay 'community' up there is rather cliquey and bitchy but maybe you will enjoy it.

You are entitled to your opinion. I have neither found the gay community here to be overly cliquey or overly welcoming. But generally accepting, and not a close-knit community. The best part is that the Thais hardly blink an eye when they see an older farang walking with his boyfriend in public, assuming they are acting properly.