Driving Licence Documents

earlofwindermere

I got a copy of these from the Chiang Mai Office where you get your driving licence. I scanned them and thought that I'd post them on here for others to have as well.

1. Getting your licence for the first time.

2. Renewing your Thai licence and receiving a 5 year licence

3. Getting an International Licence.

Cheers

post-18506-1219195666_thumb.jpg

post-18506-1219195683_thumb.jpg

post-18506-1219195714_thumb.jpg

The licence department is on Hang Dong Road just south of the airport. It's on the left side of the road (heading out of town) and it has a big ugly purple fence.

Incidently, the International Licence now takes up to 30 days if you apply from Chiang Mai. (It's one day if you travel to Bangkok).

I also came across an ad in the Bangkok Post for a company in Phuket that offers 10 year Intl Driving Permits/Licence (http://intlicense.com/). I thought that it was a scam but after doing some research (and talking to them), I think that it may actually be genuine. The main bonus is that I can get a permit that is valid for 10 years... at the same cost as applying every year for one and without all the hassles.

They assured me that it is legit. Since they've been operating for nearly 5 years now and apparently have many Chiang Mai clients as well, I've been tempted to apply. I sent in the docs today. I'll provide an update when I get it.

Edited by earlofwindermere