Different Sayings In Different Countries

PapiRico

What do you call things in your country that might be offensive or funny to other countries....

Example 1... Brits call cigs "fags"...in america that means Gay..

Example 2....Brit to another Brit: "I am tired of waiting for the girls, they take so long to get ready, lets go outside and blow some Fags." WOW!!! hahahahahahahaha

Example 3...Can I get some spotted dick to go please...

Example 4....Can I get a side of Faggot pls (i think they are meat balls)

Example 5....In mexico you call a sweater a Chamarra and a car a Coche, In guatemala Chamarra means Bed cover and Coche means Pig

Example 6....Mexican To Guatemalan:" hey S, I have to go and wash my Coche and then wax it.

I realise that this is meant to be tongue in cheek light humour but sorry, have to correct a couple of things...

What do you call things in your country that might be offensive or funny to other countries....

Example 1... Brits call cigs "fags"...in america that means Gay.. (last time i heard a brit call a cig a fag was about 20 year ago, i never hear brits use this term anymore, at least not generally)

Example 2....Brit to another Brit: "I am tired of waiting for the girls, they take so long to get ready, lets go outside and blow some Fags." WOW!!! hahahahahahahaha (another one ive never heard, even when the term fag was used. Brits never say "blow" fags, cigs, etc. Maybe you are confusing "blow" meaning hash. ie: "lets get some blow")

Example 3...Can I get some spotted dick to go please...(brits never use the term "to go", but granted there is a desert called spotted dick, although im sure its never in take-away form anyway.)

Example 5....In mexico you call a sweater a Chamarra and a car a Coche, In guatemala Chamarra means Bed cover and Coche means Pig

Example 6....Mexican To Guatemalan:" hey S, I have to go and wash my Coche and then wax it.

Hmm well sorry 'bout that. When i get a bit bored and i have time to think of the comparisons, ill post some :o

Probably not a funny example but,

When I was first with my misses she used to take "I'm going out for a pint", literally. As in after one pint of beer I will be coming back home.

She now knows that "Going out for a pint" actually means: "Don't wait up, as I am going out to get absolutely hammered after drinking what is likely to be a dangerous amount of alcohol"

I realise that this is meant to be tongue in cheek light humour but sorry, have to correct a couple of things...

Example 1... Brits call cigs "fags"...in america that means Gay.. (last time i heard a brit call a cig a fag was about 20 year ago, i never hear brits use this term anymore, at least not generally)

Sorry, I'm a Brit. and I've always got a fag in my mouth and my Thai husband is always asking where his fags are!

Example 2....Brit to another Brit: "I am tired of waiting for the girls, they take so long to get ready, lets go outside and blow some Fags." WOW!!! hahahahahahahaha (another one ive never heard, even when the term fag was used. Brits never say "blow" fags, cigs, etc. Maybe you are confusing "blow" meaning hash. ie: "lets get some blow")

It's normally, lets go outside and have some fags. Not sure which sounds better now!!

Example 3...Can I get some spotted dick to go please...(brits never use the term "to go", but granted there is a desert called spotted dick, although im sure its never in take-away form anyway.) Yes, it is called spotted dick and you can get it take away if you want.

Hmm well sorry 'bout that. When i get a bit bored and i have time to think of the comparisons, ill post some :o

And, I just got caught out when joking with my husband and his friends recently when I said 'Bad Man', they heard it as 'Bark Mar' = mouth of a dog (very insulting)

Maybe you are confusing "blow" meaning hash. ie: "lets get some blow")[/color][/i]

Yeah, I've also never heard of "blowing" a fag. In Oz we used to have confectionery ciggies called fags. BTW - I've never heard hash called blow; it usually refers to cocaine.

When an American uses the term "fanny" it is usually hilarious ("My fanny really hurts"). Little do they realise that to everyone else this term refers to a ladies front bottom

Sorry, I'm a Brit. and I've always got a fag in my mouth and my Thai husband is always asking where his fags are!

It's normally, lets go outside and have some fags. Not sure which sounds better now!!

Example 3...Can I get some spotted dick to go please...(brits never use the term "to go", but granted there is a desert called spotted dick, although im sure its never in take-away form anyway.) Yes, it is called spotted dick and you can get it take away if you want.

Example 4....Can I get a side of Faggot pls (i think they are meat balls) It's Faggots, peas and chips please but I think that sounds worse now on reflection

And, I just got caught out when joking with my husband and his friends recently when I said 'Bad Man', they heard it as 'Bark Mar' = mouth of a dog (very insulting)

Guess "fag" must still be used colloquially then? I only left UK a year and a half ago (although bouts on and off of living in different countries) and I dont recall hearing "fag" being used in recent times. But fair enough. Interesting :o

american--------------------- soccer.

doesnt that stink lads

hey man,buddy.now thats crap language to anybody.

zee instead of z zed.

sometimes the thai language can be a bit loud and irratable but give me that against an american accent especial the southern drawl.

Aw shucks. I don't speak Southern so I can be more objective. There are different flavors of southern accents, and some of them are downright musical and hypnotic. I do agree there are some US accents and also some UK accents which are hard on the ear.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh i quite like the southern drawl American accent.

Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but i noticed some of the younger generation of Americans use "Like" a lot. I was sitting at a cafe the other day and a group of young American girls used "Like" more times than i can recall in their sentences.

Also for the word Alluminium (however you spell it!) Americans say "Allumi-num"

doesnt that stink lads

zee instead of z zed.

sometimes the thai language can be a bit loud and irratable but give me that against an american accent especial the southern drawl.

We would call Soccer -Football, if the name wasent already taken by the real mans sport American Football,but yall have a close one to this, but its more like sissy ball chansing called Rugby, right?

Yet Mam...the F***k You in Thai Language sounds like a reatard from the south trying to say "yes ma'am"...

In front of a class of 75 university students, I loudly (over the P.A. system) asked one of my students (a weekend rock band musician), "How was your gig in Udon Thani last weekend?"

Of course, I meant: gig = scheduled musical performance event

The students, of course, interpreted it as the Thai word: gig or gik = a casual sleeping partner, a one-night stand

Response: Gasps from 75 students :D and a mortified rocker. :o (Who probably experienced both meanings...)

Edited by toptuan

In front of a class of 75 university students, I loudly (over the P.A. system) asked one of my students (a weekend rock band musician), "How was your gig in Udon Thani last weekend?"

Of course, I meant: gig = scheduled musical performance event

The students, of course, interpreted it as the Thai word: gig or gik = a casual sleeping partner, a one-night stand

Response: Gasps from 75 students :D and a mortified rocker. :o (Who probably experienced both.)

dam_n funny....

Example 3...Can I get some spotted dick to go please...(brits never use the term "to go", but granted there is a desert called spotted dick, although im sure its never in take-away form anyway.)

maybe you are confusing hash with something else. to me and mine blow has a different meaning altogether and i have never heard it used in the context of hash

doesnt that stink lads

zee instead of z zed.

We would call Soccer -Football, if the name wasent already taken by the real mans sport American Football,but yall have a close one to this, but its more like sissy ball chansing called Rugby, right?

Yet Mam...the F***k You in Thai Language sounds like a reatard from the south trying to say "yes ma'am"...

Papy, you could never play rugby, your not tough enough, and too dumb.

Faranglandoz :o

maybe you are confusing hash with something else. to me and mine blow has a different meaning altogether and i have never heard it used in the context of hash

Yes, 'Blow' as far as American is in reference to cocaine. Or if someone says, "lets blow this place." It is in reference to 'leaving'.

Now I am wondering what do the other countries say when they are referencing the terms:

1) Spank the monkey

2) Whack the pud

3) Choke the chicken

4) Strokin the 'one-eyed-monster'

5) Handling the salami

6) Going out with Rosie Palm

....could go on and on...... :o

A friend was with a friend at a bustop in London. His friend was an American. A woman at the bustop said to her friend "Bloody hel_l it's cold, I wish I'd put some pants on" He was almost on his hands and knees until my mate explained she meant trousers/slacks.

Real mans sport lol!

C'mon it's a poor imitation of Rugby with crash helmets and shoulder pads so they don't get hurt lol.

No one understands the sport outside of the US (or even plays it?).

Rugby and Football are followed and adored around the world.

USA- Rubber = condom

England- Rubber = eraser

USA - Rooting for a team = barak for a team

Australia - Rooting = Sodomizing

England- Tinkle = to call

USA- Tinkle = to pee

wrong, rooting does not mean sodomising it means to have sex