Double Standard Pricing

tommyj4

Park entrance fees slashed

source: The Nation 17 Aug 2008

From October 1 four national parks in Chiang Mai will cut admission to between Bt40 and Bt200 to boost visitor numbers in the low season.

Doi Phahompok, Doi Inthanon, Aob Luang and Doi SuthepPui national parks normally charge Bt40 per local adult, Bt20 per child, Bt400 per foreign adult and Bt200 per foreign child, said Thanthip Thongngamkham.

From October 1 on, Doi Inthanon would charge Bt40 per local adult, Bt20 per local child, Bt200 per foreign adult and Bt100 per foreign child while Doi Phahompok and Aob Luang would charge Bt20 per local adult, Bt10 per local child, Bt200 per foreign adult and Bt100 per foreign child.

Doi SuthepPui would charge Bt20 per local adult, Bt10 per local child, Bt100 per foreign adult and Bt50 per foreign child, she said.

Made me laugh when I went to a National Park on the mainland & I asked how much my 2 half Thai kids had to pay.....didnt get an answer, only a confused smile....didnt go in anyway, I aint gonna pay 10 times that of anybody....Arnt we so lucky to get a discount>>>> :o

Park entrance fees slashed

source: The Nation 17 Aug 2008

From October 1 four national parks in Chiang Mai will cut admission to between Bt40 and Bt200 to boost visitor numbers in the low season.

Doi Phahompok, Doi Inthanon, Aob Luang and Doi SuthepPui national parks normally charge Bt40 per local adult, Bt20 per child, Bt400 per foreign adult and Bt200 per foreign child, said Thanthip Thongngamkham.

From October 1 on, Doi Inthanon would charge Bt40 per local adult, Bt20 per local child, Bt200 per foreign adult and Bt100 per foreign child while Doi Phahompok and Aob Luang would charge Bt20 per local adult, Bt10 per local child, Bt200 per foreign adult and Bt100 per foreign child.

Doi SuthepPui would charge Bt20 per local adult, Bt10 per local child, Bt100 per foreign adult and Bt50 per foreign child, she said.

Made me laugh when I went to a National Park on the mainland & I asked how much my 2 half Thai kids had to pay.....didnt get an answer, only a confused smile....didnt go in anyway, I aint gonna pay 10 times that of anybody....Arnt we so lucky to get a discount>>>> :D

This is Thailand, I just drive away, Waterfalls 20 Baht Thai 250 falang, its all across the country, they have not picked on my daughter yet, could get personal then :o

Not quite as racist as it may seem. If you are a farang with a tax card you can get in for the Thai price. Some times a driving licence will do.

Basically it is 20 baht for tax payers and 200 baht for non taxpayers. As tax payers money is used for the upkeep of the parks it is not so unfair as it seems.

My kids arnt old enough to pay tax....the expression on their faces when I begged the question was priceless...asked the same question...in Thai 3 times & always the same confused smile without an answer....interesting thought, do they pay half the farang rate & half the Thai rate???...didnt really matter, I had just gone there on my 40,000 baht Honda wave & being asked for 10 times that of a guy that drove up in a 1.3 million baht Fortuna...just didnt seem fair in my books, will have to try the tax card though.....although its a few years old now...but the sign dosnt say "non tax payer" specifically refers to foreigners. :o

So, if I showed my driving licence & my tax card I would get in for free....what about the kids though as they dont drive or pay tax......I think 50% of 10 baht & 50% of 100 baht...so they should pay 55 baht, but hey I would only pay 20 as an adult.... :o

So, if I showed my driving licence & my tax card I would get in for free....what about the kids though as they dont drive or pay tax......I think 50% of 10 baht & 50% of 100 baht...so they should pay 55 baht, but hey I would only pay 20 as an adult.... :o

Don't know what a tax card has to do with it, maybe a social security card might do. But a Thai driving licence alone works for sure. And I would guess the kids would get the Thai price too.

Not quite as racist as it may seem. If you are a farang with a tax card you can get in for the Thai price. Some times a driving licence will do.

Basically it is 20 baht for tax payers and 200 baht for non taxpayers. As tax payers money is used for the upkeep of the parks it is not so unfair as it seems.

But they dont often.. Farangs often say this.. and SOMETIMES is works.. But very often it doesnt.

Go try it at the national park up where the gibbon place is, WP, Tax card, Thai license, dont care !!!

Showing my drivers license usually works, but only in the bigger parks with more tourists. I went to Nakhorn Sri Thammarat and wanted to visit a small National Park with waterfall together with GF her mom and sister and my sister and showed them my drivers license. Their response was: You have to change your nationality first to get the Thai prize. At that moment a family of 7 Thais arrived and they were let in without paying. As I asked why they could go in for free I got the answer: normally we don't charge Thais only when they come with Farang! At least they"ve been Honest :o I didn't enter the park and went to Khao Luang, which is a bigger park and got the Thai prize with my drivers license :D

Edited by thaibutty

Sorry, but you're all sounding like a bunch of cheapskates to me. You're getting the chance to spend the whole day in some of the most beautiful national parks in the world, for what equates to £3/$6. If you're a tourist or a Farang living here on money earned elsewhere then £3/$6 is peanuts. Even if you are working in Thailand chances are you're still being paid a shed load more than a local Thai. To me, two teer pricing is logical and completely fair.

Sorry, but you're all sounding like a bunch of cheapskates to me. You're getting the chance to spend the whole day in some of the most beautiful national parks in the world, for what equates to £3/$6. If you're a tourist or a Farang living here on money earned elsewhere then £3/$6 is peanuts. Even if you are working in Thailand chances are you're still being paid a shed load more than a local Thai. To me, two teer pricing is logical and completely fair.

'for what equates to'

Ah... I remember my first few weeks in Thailand. Memories.

:o

<br />Sorry, but you're all sounding like a bunch of cheapskates to me. You're getting the chance to spend the whole day in some of the most beautiful national parks in the world, for what equates to £3/$6. If you're a tourist or a Farang living here on money earned elsewhere then £3/$6 is peanuts. Even if you are working in Thailand chances are you're still being paid a shed load more than a local Thai. To me, two teer pricing is logical and completely fair.<br />

because you're not concerned you speak that way, here in samui if you wanna see the thai boxing it's 800 bath for foreigners and 80 for thai up to 1500 foreigner and 150 thai.

i don't see any difference between a thai and foreigner that requires 1000% price up, after all governement fees like driving licenses and those related to vehicules are the same for both foreigner and thai.

it's not because i earn more than them than i need to pay more, some thai that are landlords should pay 4000thb at least to sit at the thai boxing if we follow your logic.

Why dont we just charge black people in the UK double ...because they are black....hey chinnese triple....& if you are Indian thats five times as much.....everyone is equal....hey read the thread...me on a honda wave..thats all I can afford....Thai in a Fortuna gets in at a tenth of the cost....whos the cheapskate???

Yet another post about this old boring topic. It has nothing to do with the thais getting it cheaper because they pay tax. It is just a cash grab to extort money out of foreigners. Countries are supposed to promote tourism, not hinder it.

For me dual pricing sucks, it is 100% racist. It is based solely on race NOT the ability to pay.. For sure it should be equal for everyone.

If you base your argument on the fact of MAYBE some of us (Foreigners) have more disposable money, then how come the rich Thais are not charged according to their income?

For me dual pricing sucks, it is 100% racist. It is based solely on race NOT the ability to pay..

Are you sure that Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, etc tourists are not also charged the higher rates? I believe that when there is a dual pricing scheme, then all foreigners are charged the higher price, not just westerners.

I've found the Thai driver's license to work in most cases. When it doesn't, I just remind myself that the lower price is a perk of Thai citizenship. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you feel strongly that this government policy in the national parks is wrong, you can follow thaibutty's example, and choose not to participate.

For me dual pricing sucks, it is 100% racist. It is based solely on race NOT the ability to pay..

Are you sure that Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, etc tourists are not also charged the higher rates? I believe that when there is a dual pricing scheme, then all foreigners are charged the higher price, not just westerners.

I've found the Thai driver's license to work in most cases. When it doesn't, I just remind myself that the lower price is a perk of Thai citizenship. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you feel strongly that this government policy in the national parks is wrong, you can follow thaibutty's example, and choose not to participate.

Yes I regularly see asians being uncharged.. My ex GF was Lao, cant imagine a time when they ever would have double priced her but she isnt Thai.

And its not just a national park you can avoid.. Rail tickets etc etc etc have this system built in.

Also applies to air fares with Thai Air and hotels. Not so much dual pricing, more like a discount for Thai nationals. It's just the 5x increase factor for national parks etc that I disagree with. Usually my Thai driving licence works, I've never had to pay the 'foreigners' price, but if I had to pay the higher price, Ok mai pen rai, bi bi, I'm off.... :o

uh its the same as disney land or any other national park in most country

disney is much more expensive for foreigners.. does anybody whine about it? no..

srsly 6$ to visit a national park and help keep it clean, whats so wrong there? its still very cheap

as others have said, if u live here and have a drivers liscence u get the real price so wheres the problem? travelers should always pay more when they visit parks.. they seem to love throwing trash around more than people who live there

uh its the same as disney land or any other national park in most country

disney is much more expensive for foreigners.. does anybody whine about it? no.

No it isnt.. Disney may be more expensive for non state residents.. But they dont say 'your black pay 10x more' do they ??

as others have said, if u live here and have a drivers liscence u get the real price so wheres the problem? travelers should always pay more when they visit parks.. they seem to love throwing trash around more than people who live there

But you dont.. Its not a clear system, its often ignored, the trains flat out refuse it etc..

If it was based on residents, or tax payers, or anything with a clear and defendable set of rules then fair enough.. But when it is purely 'you look asian your OK' (as per my Lao ex GF) and you look farang pay 10x the rate, no matter if you have been here 20 years or 20 mins.. Thats simple racism enshrined in gov policy emphasizing that inequality can be a perfectly acceptable way to do business.

• 2 weeks later...
I have no problem with a charge higher for foreigners at government parks and buildings. It is their country. Maybe the U.S. should do the same thing and I wouldn't have to listen to a spanish option on every call to a utility company.

Please come to my restaurant & eat everyday....as you are a foreigner you can pay 400 baht for fried rice rather than 40 baht.....live by what you say...see you soon hey???....think not

I have no problem with a charge higher for foreigners at government parks and buildings. It is their country. Maybe the U.S. should do the same thing and I wouldn't have to listen to a spanish option on every call to a utility company.

Please come to my restaurant & eat everyday....as you are a foreigner you can pay 400 baht for fried rice rather than 40 baht.....live by what you say...see you soon hey???....think not

The bloke did say 'government parks & buildings'. I've never had any problems with a Thai style restaurant charging Farangs more than locals. The way I see it, Thailand is a poor country that has been lucky enough, to be able take advantage of tourism, to give it a chance of a decent future. If you can't comfortably afford 200 baht once in a while, (you're not exactly going to want to visit a national park every day) then maybe you can't afford to live here at all. The fella on the scooter who's got the hump because he can't afford to get in to the parks, while the rich Thai gets in Cheaply, has made a choice to live here on that budget. If he went back to his country I would guess he would be able to afford a new pick up truck as well. Lets face it, he's living here because his standard of life is 10 times better than it was wherever he was from, and then repays the favour by moaning about $6. And it has nothing what so ever to do with race, so you can all put that card back in your pockets. Very few people seem to agree, but as I said before, you're all being cheapskates. Remember how privileged you are to have been born where you were born, and to be able to live where you live now. Don't take it for granted.

I am the guy on the scooter....why should I pay more!!!!!!!...please give a valid reason.... it is disgusting to charge more because of a persons race...thats exactly what it is...if it isnt please explain what it is when one nationality gets treated differently to another.....what about my kids...do they pay more or half or what...they are half Thai...In the UK I suppose we should charge Americans more than Africans as they are better off.....absolute rubbish...you wouldnt put up with it anywhere else so why here....I just dont go to them & never will....$6 or $60 its not the amount, its the principle....get overcharged anywhere else & people moan but this overcharging for some unbeknown reason seems to be OK...Bah... :o

I am the guy on the scooter....why should I pay more!!!!!!!...please give a valid reason.... it is disgusting to charge more because of a persons race...thats exactly what it is...if it isnt please explain what it is when one nationality gets treated differently to another.....what about my kids...do they pay more or half or what...they are half Thai...In the UK I suppose we should charge Americans more than Africans as they are better off.....absolute rubbish...you wouldnt put up with it anywhere else so why here....I just dont go to them & never will....$6 or $60 its not the amount, its the principle....get overcharged anywhere else & people moan but this overcharging for some unbeknown reason seems to be OK...Bah... :o

Woohoo was spot on with his reply! I've never understood why some foreigners here think that they are entitled to all of the rights and privileges of Thai citizens, simply because they have been permitted to own a house, work, or otherwise spend money here.

....why should I pay more!!!!!!!...please give a valid reason... Thai national parks belong to Thai people. You're not Thai. As simple as that.

.... it is disgusting to charge more because of a persons race... The charge differential is not based upon race. It is supposed to be based upon citizenship. As pointed out by others, there have been occasions when other non-Thai asians have not been upcharged, but I suspect that this is more a case of the cashier not asking, but assuming they're Thai. I don't believe you'd see many Japanese, Koreans or other asians that don't "look" Thai paying the Thai rate. My wife has never been asked, or otherwise had to prove her Thai citizenship when buying an admission ticket together with me.

The dual pricing scheme may not be administered consistently everywhere in the country (for example, a Thai driving license may get you in at the Thai price at one park, but not another), but then remember that the only consistent thing when dealing with government agencies here, is inconsistency.

Woohoo was spot on with his reply! I've never understood why some foreigners here think that they are entitled to all of the rights and privileges of Thai citizens, simply because they have been permitted to own a house, work, or otherwise spend money here.

....why should I pay more!!!!!!!...please give a valid reason... Thai national parks belong to Thai people. You're not Thai. As simple as that.

.... it is disgusting to charge more because of a persons race... The charge differential is not based upon race. It is supposed to be based upon citizenship. As pointed out by others, there have been occasions when other non-Thai asians have not been upcharged, but I suspect that this is more a case of the cashier not asking, but assuming they're Thai. I don't believe you'd see many Japanese, Koreans or other asians that don't "look" Thai paying the Thai rate. My wife has never been asked, or otherwise had to prove her Thai citizenship when buying an admission ticket together with me.

The dual pricing scheme may not be administered consistently everywhere in the country (for example, a Thai driving license may get you in at the Thai price at one park, but not another), but then remember that the only consistent thing when dealing with government agencies here, is inconsistency.

So when you go to a National Park/Building in the UK which costs about $50....will it be fair to charge a Thai national $500....THEY ARE NOT ENGLISH AS SIMPLE AS THAT SO MAKE THEM PAY 10 TIMES AS MUCH"of course not"...it dosnt belong to them...it belongs to tax paying U.K. citezens...Bah Bah Bah

In Australia/U.S/Europe or anywhere else I can gaurantee that you would not say the same.....Windsor Castle $60 for U.K resident....its OK then that anyone else pays $600...rubbish & you know it.

Citezenship/race its all the same....basically you are saying that anywhere you go in the world everything should be cheaper for the nationals of that country......be fair...if thats the case in Thailand, why not everywhere else, after all other people would only be guests in that country..SIMPLE AS THAT

My original post was meant in jest...my kids are half Thai & I questioned how much should they pay as the look on the girls face when I asked was priceless I can tell you....Its wrong & it should be stopped>>>>>