Double Standard Pricing

tommyj4

I actually know one brave bar owner who when a Thai came in his bar charged them 90 baht for a chang etc.. This then kicked up a problem, they held up the drinks card with it listed in English as being at 60 baht, and he replied.. Ohh no, thats the farang price, and pulled out a card he had made up, with all the drinks in Thai and all the drinks prices +50% in Thai numberals.. Thats the Thai price list !!

He had constant problems with locals and staff.. But he made his point.

So when you go to a National Park/Building in the UK which costs about $50....will it be fair to charge a Thai national $500....THEY ARE NOT ENGLISH AS SIMPLE AS THAT SO MAKE THEM PAY 10 TIMES AS MUCH"of course not"...it dosnt belong to them...it belongs to tax paying U.K. citezens...Bah Bah Bah

In Australia/U.S/Europe or anywhere else I can gaurantee that you would not say the same.....Windsor Castle $60 for U.K resident....its OK then that anyone else pays $600...rubbish & you know it.

Citezenship/race its all the same....basically you are saying that anywhere you go in the world everything should be cheaper for the nationals of that country......be fair...if thats the case in Thailand, why not everywhere else, after all other people would only be guests in that country..SIMPLE AS THAT

My original post was meant in jest...my kids are half Thai & I questioned how much should they pay as the look on the girls face when I asked was priceless I can tell you....Its wrong & it should be stopped>>>>>

Interesting analogy and example. Normal admission to Windsor Castle is 14.80 pounds, but discounted to 13.30 for people 65 years and older, and 8.50 for those under 17. Families (2 adults and 3 under 17) can get in for 38.10. One could scream about discriminatory pricing in favor of the old guy that drives up in his Bentley, or the husband, wife and 3 kids that get in for less than a guy and his girlfriend. What do you suppose the logic behind these pricing tiers is? Don't hear anyone complaining about that, though.

One of the mistakes that many foreigners in Thailand make is that they try to overlay their system of government, beliefs, practices and culture onto that of their hosts. If they were successful in driving some of these changes, you'd probably no longer recognize the country.

But, since the point of "you couldn't get away with this in the West" was brought up, consider the following...

The economics are totally different in SE Asia as compared to the West. Let's say that the farang is charged 200 baht against the Thai's charge of 20 baht to enter a national park. So that makes the farang's entrance fee roughly equivalent to a Big Mac, Fries and a Coke at McDonalds. Not bad value for the money. Now, assume in the West, an admission fee is $5 for citizens, and $50 for non-citizens (same 1:10 ratio). $50 per person is not chump change for the vast majority of tourists. Suddenly, the perceived value has shifted to the point where no foreigner would pay it, which translates to significant lost revenue. Bad business move.

How about University tuition? Its a very common practice in the West to charge foreign students significantly higher tuition fees. Especially in government-funded systems (such as state universities in the US), where the tuition can be 4x more.

Want to go fishing in the US? If you're not a citizen and not established as a permanent resident (green card), you'll pay more for your fishing license in every state.

As for US national parks - there are all sorts of dual-pricing schemes based upon age. For example, if you're 62 or older, you can buy an annual pass for $10 that allows you enter any national park for free, and get a 50% discount on everything else. Why would that be? Perhaps some perception of the "ability to pay" of this group of people?

These "senior citizen" discount programs are widespread in the West in both the public and private sectors. All are presumably based upon profiling - some assumption of the ability to pay (or not pay) the "standard" rate, which is exactly what some people in this thread are complaining about. Only difference is that the assumption is based upon age, and not citizenship. Is it ok to discriminate based upon age, but not citizenship? Who do you suppose makes up for any shortfall of revenue due to these discounts?

So, to be completely fair, let's abolish the dual-pricing scheme in Thailand. While we're at it, let's abolish the age-based discounts and subsidies, along with the non-resident upcharges that are so common in the West. Oh, and let's bring the fees that Thais pay for visas to visit western countries into line with what westerners pay for their Thai visas.

So when you go to a National Park/Building in the UK which costs about $50....will it be fair to charge a Thai national $500....THEY ARE NOT ENGLISH AS SIMPLE AS THAT SO MAKE THEM PAY 10 TIMES AS MUCH"of course not"...it dosnt belong to them...it belongs to tax paying U.K. citezens...Bah Bah Bah

In Australia/U.S/Europe or anywhere else I can gaurantee that you would not say the same.....Windsor Castle $60 for U.K resident....its OK then that anyone else pays $600...rubbish & you know it.

Citezenship/race its all the same....basically you are saying that anywhere you go in the world everything should be cheaper for the nationals of that country......be fair...if thats the case in Thailand, why not everywhere else, after all other people would only be guests in that country..SIMPLE AS THAT

My original post was meant in jest...my kids are half Thai & I questioned how much should they pay as the look on the girls face when I asked was priceless I can tell you....Its wrong & it should be stopped>>>>>

Interesting analogy and example. Normal admission to Windsor Castle is 14.80 pounds, but discounted to 13.30 for people 65 years and older, and 8.50 for those under 17. Families (2 adults and 3 under 17) can get in for 38.10. One could scream about discriminatory pricing in favor of the old guy that drives up in his Bentley, or the husband, wife and 3 kids that get in for less than a guy and his girlfriend. What do you suppose the logic behind these pricing tiers is? Don't hear anyone complaining about that, though.

One of the mistakes that many foreigners in Thailand make is that they try to overlay their system of government, beliefs, practices and culture onto that of their hosts. If they were successful in driving some of these changes, you'd probably no longer recognize the country.

But, since the point of "you couldn't get away with this in the West" was brought up, consider the following...

The economics are totally different in SE Asia as compared to the West. Let's say that the farang is charged 200 baht against the Thai's charge of 20 baht to enter a national park. So that makes the farang's entrance fee roughly equivalent to a Big Mac, Fries and a Coke at McDonalds. Not bad value for the money. Now, assume in the West, an admission fee is $5 for citizens, and $50 for non-citizens (same 1:10 ratio). $50 per person is not chump change for the vast majority of tourists. Suddenly, the perceived value has shifted to the point where no foreigner would pay it, which translates to significant lost revenue. Bad business move.

How about University tuition? Its a very common practice in the West to charge foreign students significantly higher tuition fees. Especially in government-funded systems (such as state universities in the US), where the tuition can be 4x more.

Want to go fishing in the US? If you're not a citizen and not established as a permanent resident (green card), you'll pay more for your fishing license in every state.

As for US national parks - there are all sorts of dual-pricing schemes based upon age. For example, if you're 62 or older, you can buy an annual pass for $10 that allows you enter any national park for free, and get a 50% discount on everything else. Why would that be? Perhaps some perception of the "ability to pay" of this group of people?

These "senior citizen" discount programs are widespread in the West in both the public and private sectors. All are presumably based upon profiling - some assumption of the ability to pay (or not pay) the "standard" rate, which is exactly what some people in this thread are complaining about. Only difference is that the assumption is based upon age, and not citizenship. Is it ok to discriminate based upon age, but not citizenship? Who do you suppose makes up for any shortfall of revenue due to these discounts?

So, to be completely fair, let's abolish the dual-pricing scheme in Thailand. While we're at it, let's abolish the age-based discounts and subsidies, along with the non-resident upcharges that are so common in the West. Oh, and let's bring the fees that Thais pay for visas to visit western countries into line with what westerners pay for their Thai visas.

Good response. Certainly British universities charge a lot more for foreigners!!

The way I see it, it is nothing more than a gouge. I certainly don't mind paying more than a national. Go ahead, charge me double or even triple. But 10 times as much, which is common? Give me a break, it's a rip-off, no matter what you want to call it. I certainly don't have a problem helping those less fortunate than I. I've given time, sweat, labor and money over the years. I'm not bragging, I just saying there's a place or opportunity to pony up for charity or those in need. There's going to be times when you will pay because you are with family or friends. But, I have often not paid admission at 'rip-off' parks and found amusement or a way to pass time when others carried on. I say walk away when you can.

"Want to go fishing in the US? If you're not a citizen and not established as a permanent resident (green card), you'll pay more for your fishing license in every state."

By the way, I believe it has to do with if you are a resident of the state that you want to go fishing. In Pennsylvania, a fishing license is about $20. If you live next door in Maryland, you pay about $50 for a PA fishing license. That's for a one year fishing license. It has nothing to do with being a citizen or having a green card. I would suspect there are illegal aliens that live in PA, that have resident fishing licenses. Pennsylvania also sells a 'tourist' fishing license for $35. Makes sense and seems fair.

it is disgusting to charge more because of a persons race...thats exactly what it is.
Although I am not happy with the system: race is not involved. All Asians officially pay more, some may get away with paying Thai prices on occasion, but officially also Malays e.g. pay the non-Thai price.

We can moan and groan about the double pricing on TV until the end of eternity, and it still will not go away. A list of the establishments who are charging farangs more should be made available to us, so that we can decide whether we want to frequent them or not. In addition, the real way of getting the disenchancement of double pricing in the mainstream is to approach a journalist or two from the Bangkok Post or The National, and have them do interviews with Thai businesses that charge foreigners a different price. I feel the only medicine that will curtail this is "exposure" of the culprits, and have them explain why they are doing it, so everyone can read about it.

• 3 weeks later...
I have no problem with a charge higher for foreigners at government parks and buildings. It is their country. Maybe the U.S. should do the same thing and I wouldn't have to listen to a spanish option on every call to a utility company.

Please come to my restaurant & eat everyday....as you are a foreigner you can pay 400 baht for fried rice rather than 40 baht.....live by what you say...see you soon hey???....think not

The bloke did say 'government parks & buildings'. I've never had any problems with a Thai style restaurant charging Farangs more than locals. The way I see it, Thailand is a poor country that has been lucky enough, to be able take advantage of tourism, to give it a chance of a decent future. If you can't comfortably afford 200 baht once in a while, (you're not exactly going to want to visit a national park every day) then maybe you can't afford to live here at all. The fella on the scooter who's got the hump because he can't afford to get in to the parks, while the rich Thai gets in Cheaply, has made a choice to live here on that budget. If he went back to his country I would guess he would be able to afford a new pick up truck as well. Lets face it, he's living here because his standard of life is 10 times better than it was wherever he was from, and then repays the favour by moaning about $6. And it has nothing what so ever to do with race, so you can all put that card back in your pockets. Very few people seem to agree, but as I said before, you're all being cheapskates. Remember how privileged you are to have been born where you were born, and to be able to live where you live now. Don't take it for granted.

Yes, but it`s not just the parks, is it? It`s zoos, some eateries etc etc.

Same old `cheap charlie` jibe when someone is not prepared to bend over and take it up the arse.

If it`s fair and above board, why do many places diguise the real price by printing it in thai numerics, or even the thai word for the number? DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE WESTERN (ARABIC) NUMERICS ARE USED FAR MORE COMMONLY THAN THE THAI NOWADAYS _ JUST LOOK IN THE MARKETS.

Not a tax payer? As a tourist I pay sales tax on every item I buy, hotel room tax, cigarette and beer tax, tax on petrol etc etc.

There have always been some people who would attempt to justify injustice throughout history, even though it was directed at them. Some blacks defended slavery as their `natural condition`. Welcome to the board, Uncle Tom.

To all of your guys complaining about dual pricing I can only say you are absolutely right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lived in Australia (Perth) for over 33 years I have never ever come across any nationality being red, black,white or green paying an increased price for entrance to a park or museum or crocodile park or what's so ever.In fact my wife lived in Perth for 5 years I took her to the Zoo and paid for 2 tickets and the lady at the counter ask me if my wife is a visitor to Perth and I said yes. So she gave my wife a discounted ticked (like being a student or pensioner) And if they charge more in a national park in the USA or UK for foreigners they just as racist as they are in Thailand. :o

Also applies to air fares with Thai Air and hotels. Not so much dual pricing, more like a discount for Thai nationals. It's just the 5x increase factor for national parks etc that I disagree with. Usually my Thai driving licence works, I've never had to pay the 'foreigners' price, but if I had to pay the higher price, Ok mai pen rai, bi bi, I'm off.... :o

Did you ever dare to go to Phuket Zoo?

Ok go for a big mac or burger king or a kfc, the price is the same, falangs don't get charged ten times more. The ability to pay is a crock of shi*t, it is a rip off pure and simple. Don't see Thai's not going to fast food outlets cos it is falang price.

Don't put up with it, drive away, the been here for years crowd who think it is ok to be discriminated against because TIT can go and live in their villages.

Ok go for a big mac or burger king or a kfc, the price is the same, falangs don't get charged ten times more. The ability to pay is a crock of shi*t, it is a rip off pure and simple. Don't see Thai's not going to fast food outlets cos it is falang price.

Don't put up with it, drive away, the been here for years crowd who think it is ok to be discriminated against because TIT can go and live in their villages.

Well said, in the houses they paid to build for them & the inlaws & live on the 20k or 30k they sub their Mrs every month to look after her Thai kids :o

I actually know one brave bar owner who when a Thai came in his bar charged them 90 baht for a chang etc.. This then kicked up a problem, they held up the drinks card with it listed in English as being at 60 baht, and he replied.. Ohh no, thats the farang price, and pulled out a card he had made up, with all the drinks in Thai and all the drinks prices +50% in Thai numberals.. Thats the Thai price list !!

He had constant problems with locals and staff.. But he made his point.

and his name.......was Simon Knudsen.........

It's real simple folks, (and yes, this topic has been beaten like a bad stepchild on this board), know the price before you go, and if you don't like it, don't go.............all the wanking in the world isn't going to get it changed.

Edited by huggybear