Cat Tale

in the sky

I live on the west side. I took my cat to a veternarian because she was limping. The un-named vet took an xray - I couldn't see anything wrong, but what do I know about cat anatomy. It was reported that the cat had two fractures so got a hip to toe cast. She did very poorly in the next few days so I sought a second opinion. There was no break, but an injury to the opposite foot, hence the limping. The outcome could have been very serious indeed. Please be very careful to whom you take your pet.

Oh, poor cat! Hope she recovers well, and thank you for the warning.

I believe most people have good faith in Ban Mha Ka Maew Animal Hospital 255/10-12 Mahidol Road.

(on the highway to Airport from Superhigh way, near the bottom of Chiang Mai Land Rd.) 053-204-215.

Best of luck for her recovery.

Yes, the outcome could have been very serieus, due to the pure negligence of that vet: wrong observation (how on earth could he overlook that wound on the paw?), wrong diagnosis, wrong treatment. :o

I'm very glad your cat (cats :D) are on the way of recovery. And that you have a peace of mind. Seeing your cats getting worse despite the treatment must have given you lots of worry and heart ache.

Nienke

Yes, the outcome could have been very serieus, due to the pure negligence of that vet: wrong observation (how on earth could he overlook that wound on the paw?), wrong diagnosis, wrong treatment. :o

I'm very glad your cat (cats :D ) are on the way of recovery. And that you have a peace of mind. Seeing your cats getting worse despite the treatment must have given you lots of worry and heart ache.

Nienke

Sorry your puss had a bad time!

Having in the past had poor advice from local vet's clinics we now always take our cat and dogs to the government clinic, opposite the Wiang Inn hotel. Good vets there, cheap and never a problem. Once a month there is a free neutering session, great entertainment as there are usually numerous cats and dogs in the waiting area. I'm sure there is a similar clinic in Chiang Mai.

I would think that Thailand has some governing body or overseeing authority where practitioners of this caliber can be reported and in turn inspected for proper diplomas, documents, certificates, facilities, etc.. These people need to be reported to that authority, checked on, and be fined or imprisoned if found not in compliance.

I've visited several vets with my cats over the years and every time they've been ill i've just been told "it's a virus, need antibiotic". Well first off, knowing what kind of virus it is would be helpful and secondly any fool with an ounce of education knows that antibiotics are only useful against bacterial infections. My experience is that many vets just pull out the hypodermic at the first opportunity because they can make some money off of it.

If you live anywhere near Ruamchok market on the Mae Jo road, I recommend Ban Hong Hong Meaw on the row of businesses just after the market. They saved my cat from the ravages of distemper earlier this year and were remarkably efficient and caring.

Definitely true that Ab's aren't very helpfull against viruses. It's the secondary bacterial infection, that often follows that they are treating.

I'm glad you're cat pulled thru (with the ab's while distemper is a virus disease. :o Sorry, couldn't resist to be a bit pedant :D ) Distemper is also a killer disease under the cats.

Nienke

I would think that Thailand has some governing body or overseeing authority where practitioners of this caliber can be reported and in turn inspected for proper diplomas, documents, certificates, facilities, etc.. These people need to be reported to that authority, checked on, and be fined or imprisoned if found not in compliance.

Agree. If the person does have the requisite certification (not at all beyond the realms of possibility), they can still be reported for negligence.

Thank goodness you were vigilant and thanks for reminding us all to be likewise.

Consider putting this story, with the name of the practice, in the "Warnings" thread ?

Agree. If the person does have the requisite certification (not at all beyond the realms of possibility), they can still be reported for negligence.

Thank goodness you were vigilant and thanks for reminding us all to be likewise.

Consider putting this story, with the name of the practice, in the "Warnings" thread ?

Where can they be reported for negligence? What organization and what location?

My comments followed from:

Thailand SPCA ( thaispca.org/v2/display/index.php ) might be a good place to start.

Also vpathai.igetweb.com/index.php?lang_page=e The Veterinary Practitioner Association of Thailand

or

The Thai Veterinary Medical Association under the Royal Patronage (appears to be linked with Chulalongkorn University ? )

Edited by sylviex

My comments followed from:

Thailand SPCA ( thaispca.org/v2/display/index.php ) might be a good place to start.

Also vpathai.igetweb.com/index.php?lang_page=e The Veterinary Practitioner Association of Thailand

or

The Thai Veterinary Medical Association under the Royal Patronage (appears to be linked with Chulalongkorn University ? )

Do you really know if any of these will take a complaint and act on it?

:o

I suggested these organisations as a first approach.

I don't know how they would respond and if they might take action.

Reputable vets & their relevant associations are usually interested to know of people practising in the field who are uncertified, negligent or both.

Edited by sylviex

I live on the west side. I took my cat to a veternarian because she was limping. The un-named vet took an xray - I couldn't see anything wrong, but what do I know about cat anatomy. It was reported that the cat had two fractures so got a hip to toe cast. She did very poorly in the next few days so I sought a second opinion. There was no break, but an injury to the opposite foot, hence the limping. The outcome could have been very serious indeed. Please be very careful to whom you take your pet.

It would be good for everyone to know who the 'vet' was... I have heard nothing but BAD things about a 'vet' in a soi off Nimahemin Rd.

I've visited several vets with my cats over the years and every time they've been ill i've just been told "it's a virus, need antibiotic". Well first off, knowing what kind of virus it is would be helpful and secondly any fool with an ounce of education knows that antibiotics are only useful against bacterial infections. My experience is that many vets just pull out the hypodermic at the first opportunity because they can make some money off of it.

If you live anywhere near Ruamchok market on the Mae Jo road, I recommend Ban Hong Hong Meaw on the row of businesses just after the market. They saved my cat from the ravages of distemper earlier this year and were remarkably efficient and caring.

I couldn't agree more. I take dogs from my neighbourhood for sterilizing there and a good operation is always done. She gives me a small discount and - sometimes - free meds for the strays. Her assistants are fantastic ladies, v. good at handling difficult animals. Only problem is it's a small surgery and often busy, so better to make an appointment.

It would be good for everyone to know who the 'vet' was... I have heard nothing but BAD things about a 'vet' in a soi off Nimahemin Rd.

Hey Starry Sky - that's the one! I am hesitant to name names or explicit locations due to possible retribution (Thai Style) if word got back to said vet.

Many bad reports about him!