Trains To Stop Nationwide As SRT Unionists Join Protest

george

Like a few others, I've been thrown off the track by Wrecker as well. So, I hate to rain on everyones parade, but just exactly what is this rail strike about. I understand it has something to do with dissatisfaction with the gov't, but I am not sure exactly what they're unhappy about. I understand work stoppages for higher pay, shorter hours, better working conditions, more holidays etc. etc. , but I don't understand a work stoppage because we don't like you (the gov't). Anybody have details of what their main aim is and how long they plan to be on 'strike.'

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trains stop after union stages strike

Two train services to the Northeast were cancelled last night after the State Railway of Thailand's (SRT) labour union staged a strike in support of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD). State-run hospital unions have also threatened a nationwide strike if the government uses force to disperse the PAD rally. Train services to Sikhoraphum in Surin and Ubon Ratchathani, which were scheduled to leave Hua Lamphong station in Bangkok at 9.50pm and 11.40pm respectively, were cancelled, according to officials at Hua Lamphong station.

The cancellations came after about 100 SRT staff in Nakhon Ratchasima province took leave en masse yesterday afternoon. The mass absence of rail workers crippled train schedules on the northeastern route.Sathorn Silpru, the chairman of Nakhon Ratchasima's SRT labour union, said as a result of the strike all outbound and inbound train services on the northeastern route were likely to suspended for a few days from today.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

Instead of saying Chinese let's say Rich. I have no problem with people working hard and making an honest buck. I do have a problem when a so-called democratic system that allows the rich to control all aspects of government. Most importantly taxation and the fair distribution of public funds. I don't know for sure, but I would bet that little is earmarked for education and lack of education is the main way to keep the rich rich and the poor poor. When you have such great disparity in wealth you than have a system that allows the rich to keep control of elections through buying votes or buying those with influence of large blocks of votes.

So if you agree with the above who really represents the true democratic process in Thailand ? I would say it's the small Thai middle class. If this is who is demonstrating now than power to them and the democratic process. If on the other hand these are paid for demonstrators, well unfortunately it's just a continuation of a corrupt and flawed system.

>I will go even further by replacing 'rich' with 'the Thai high upper class' which contains few if any Chinese. Not only do they control the government, at most times, but they control all aspects of Thai society.

i agree, what a ridiculously ignorant statement for 'wrecker' to make.... he sounds like any of the poorly educated British racists who spout this kind of drivel when they have nothing of any substance to offer. If anything, people of his ilk have long overstayed their welcome, not only in Thailand but globally. Educate yourself! And show some respect.

AKA 'THE SUN (newspaper) READER'

I would like to applaud Thailand for the "King requested" soft approach to solving the cause of the current political protests in Bangkok. The fact that there may be a few disruptions to train travel is a peaceful way of Thai workers showing support for the protesters. I fervently hope that it will remain non-violent! This type of protest in some 'third world' countries, like N. Korea or the U.S.A., would have already been snuffed out by mass arrests (by brutal force if resisted, or even imagined to be resisted). Homeland Security would assure them all a place to stay for many years and America would start filling those FEMA relocation compounds close to Washington.

So, well done Thailand. Keep up the good fight for honest governance!!!

Paul

Well said. Samak and his cohorts of the PPP (a reincarnation of the TRT) are/were just lackeys of boxhead. He came back hoping that some how he'd be able to control things from behind the scenes. For once, in this uncetain democracy, the courts stood up to somebody with seemingly unlimited power and he was sent packing. All of a sudden Samak and his cronies have had the the rug pulled from under their feet. The only legitimacy they've got is from that uneducated, missinformed, bribed rabble from the North East. The educated, middle class from Bangkok and the south don't want them there. They know that in the long run they won't do an ounce of good for this country. Abhisit is the real leader in waiting. The sooner we get rid of this bloody corrupt, incompetent lot the better it will be for everyone. Thaksin and his ilk have had their day. They were greedy beyond belief. Lets not forget that back in 2001 when boxhead won his fist election it was based on a bribe - one million baht to all villages up North. The second time around the threat went out that if those same people, who'd accepted the bribes, didn't vote TRT, then the bribes (loans) would be called in. Boxhead was back in power again. Being of greedy bloody chinese descent he, and his entourage, just couldn't help themselves could they. When they sold Shin corp, if they could've just done the right thing and paid a bit of tax, then that coup probably wouldn't have occurred. This whole bloody ongoing mess is of boxheads making, that's the reality. I've got alot of respect for the average Thai. The truth is they put up with a lot of shit because they're genuinely polite and descent people. But they've also got pride and when something gets to a point where it stinks - as this does - then they do something about it. Good on them, they've got my full support.

State-run hospital unions have also threatened a nationwide strike if the government uses force to disperse the PAD rally.

Hear hear, now it begin to look like something, get with the private sector for a few days and its not long before Mr. S and likes will have to pack their bags.

Yep just when I know all the trains from Hua Take to town they stop. :D

Over the past 4 years I use the train daily and know most of the people at my start station (Hua Take) and end station, (Klongton) funny they all knew about this Tuesday. Even the vendors and noodle shops knew, well planned I would say. :D And the 6am start station I know many of the regular riders too!

Not too bad the vans are full of University girls poor me :o

Oh well another day :D

Edited by meelousee

I could sum it all up in a word.

Muppets (This is hurting Thailand more than Samak can).

BTW, it is not a peaceful demonstration when 15 people are injured during the hostile takeover of the NBT. One truck driver was stabbed when he complained that they blocked the road and he left the truck to talk to the protesters.

This is just a case of some rich Thais that did not like the outcome of the election and they just want to create problems.

The mighty few wants what they can take by making the uneducated majority work and create chaos.

It's sad for Thailand.

(I watched on BBC that 7 out of 10 people in Bangkok does not want this).

Edited by snowflake

cool more madness and mayhem. Thailand has been like a hamster on a wheel going nowhere in the last four years thanks to the political situation. If it keeps up, it will go the way of the Philippines, a decaying country with little hope of making any progress. It's too bad. Siam has a lot going for it, but what's been going on with Thaksin, the coup-makers, the junta, the PAD and Samak, well it's just one bad joke after another.

Taksin,... was the root of all evil in this nice country called Thailand :o

Funny they didn't have all these protests last year when the military was screwing the country.

Now these people want a military dictatorship back in power again. Maybe they should take a look at Burma.

I believe the vast majority of strikers and protesters are simply misguided pawns, blinded by "Thaksin-paranoia" being propagated by an opposing elite class which wouldn't have a hope in Hades of gaining control under a democratic system.

If PAD are allowed to succeed this time it will certainly be the death of a true emerging democracy in Thailand.

I think you'll find it quite likely that there will at some point be a politcal realignmnet in parliament that suits the powers that be. Failure to achieve this will in all likelihood see those that "guide" the PAD win but it will be very messy and nasty. One thing is for sure Thaksin will lose. I guess if the first scenario prevails it will show a sign of maturing democracy by putting short term self interest to one side in the name of reconcialliation. I am not sure it will be that easy though as those that support Thaksin will go all out for constitutional ammendment to free him and his money. If they look like doing this it could be very dangerous.

I increasingly worry that it will all inevitably spiral down into violence though not right now as the constituional ammendment debate has just been delayed by a month by Chai Chidchob. A sensible decision and one that while we all look at government house we may miss, but probably the most important decision that has been made this week.

I think there is a lot of posturing and gamesmanship right now including the train drivers (managed to get it slightly on topic;)) but there is room for a step back to create room for politcal developments or for courts to remove anyone in the way of these developments.

long live Thailand's mob rule. and if PAD's wish will come true, thailand will soon be the Democratic People's Republic of Thailand.

When do people understand that these people are Chinese. They have overstayed their welcome and should go back to China where they have all the rights to demonstrate and storm TV stations.

Wouldn't that abreviated almost spell " DeeP RoT " :o

Trains stop after union stages strike

Two train services to the Northeast were cancelled last night after the State Railway of Thailand's (SRT) labour union staged a strike in support of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD). State-run hospital unions have also threatened a nationwide strike if the government uses force to disperse the PAD rally.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/290808_News/29Aug2008_news11.php

Posts have been deleted. And since we've decided to run the gamut on this thread, I must make a list:

1. There will be NO ROYAL REFERENCES

2. No flaming, flames and abusive posts have been removed

3. This thread is about a train strike in Thailand. Lets keep it remotely on topic thanks.

Any further such posts will result in removal and formal warnings.

Lets keep this civil, on topic and within forum rules, thanks.

Instead of saying Chinese let's say Rich. I have no problem with people working hard and making an honest buck. I do have a problem when a so-called democratic system that allows the rich to control all aspects of government. Most importantly taxation and the fair distribution of public funds. I don't know for sure, but I would bet that little is earmarked for education and lack of education is the main way to keep the rich rich and the poor poor. When you have such great disparity in wealth you than have a system that allows the rich to keep control of elections through buying votes or buying those with influence of large blocks of votes.

So if you agree with the above who really represents the true democratic process in Thailand ? I would say it's the small Thai middle class. If this is who is demonstrating now than power to them and the democratic process. If on the other hand these are paid for demonstrators, well unfortunately it's just a continuation of a corrupt and flawed system.

Well said

I have a serious question. What happens when/if they depose the present government? My anarchist wife has no answer. They definitely can't have an election. The wealthy elite power behind this farce would likely not be happy when the wrong people get elected again.

Maybe Burma could spare a few of their great leaders to train the Thai military how to run a country. Democracy in Thailand has clearly failed and cannot be repaired with the powerful and wealthy pulling the strings and taking advantage of the ignorant followers.

The PAD does not care about Rural folks anyway. The PDA thinks they are too uneducated to make an informed decision about who their leader should be. Besides, its another strategy by the PAD to prevent people within their ranks from easily going home. I really wonder how many of the people within the mob are being held there against their will???

Trains being off the rails, so to speak, will only upset the less well off who rely on the the free trains to get back to their villages.

What happens when/if they depose the present government?

Equally - what happens if they don't?

I think dissolving the house and calling new elections would not be a bad idea. Generally we hear that MPs don't want fresh elections at the moment as they can't raise enough funds, and generally everyone buys this.

<deleted> - they are saying we don't have money to pay for votes, and people agree. <deleted>?

They would need minimum amount funds to run on their ideology and policies alone. They even get funds from the EC and they can get free airtime on state channels.

long live Thailand's mob rule. and if PAD's wish will come true, thailand will soon be the Democratic People's Republic of Thailand.

When do people understand that these people are Chinese. They have overstayed their welcome and should go back to China where they have all the rights to demonstrate and storm TV stations.

Do you have any idea who wrecker is talking about when he says 'these people'?

The Chinese, Chinese/Thai in Thailand don't demonstrate, they would pay someone else to do it for them. They are way too busy making money.

I love your user-name.

:D:o Most of the PAD leaders are 2. genr.chinese or 3.,(I been in thailand 30 years) I know a few of them! :D

The thing is that there has not been a government in the realm elected in many years where one could say the elections were open and fair.

99% of all seats are bought and the people must learn that the successful candidates are going to want to recoup the money that they have outlayed (in buying votes) to get themselves elected.

When voting the people are only concerned about the short term benefit (receiving money for their votes) rather than the good of the country.

I will be 'light years' before the situation changes very much (if ever)

Just another case of TIT :o

In a nut shell, they are being bribed with their own money. It took a lot of reasoning in my village to get them to see the light.

Anarchy is not democracy. The people voted.

Mob rules and the stupid support it.

People's votes were partly bought with the help of currency and personal threats. Definately not free and independant, no discussions there. The middle class is on the street and they did work their asses off to get there and now, to the demonstrations. Call me stupid, I am not a Thai but a long time resident and they've got my full support for their causes and believes.

They've got my support, too.

As for the civil disobedience first, now followed by shutting down the trains, by the Unions and hopefully air travel by other unions soon, I think this is the proper, peaceful strategy, in order to bring about change and bring down this corrupt government.

This is the first time, that I have watched leaders keep the peace, with this many protesters involved. My hat is off to them. Great job!

I think there would be many more people there as well, but a lot of the poor can't afford to stop working or afraid, because if they die, who will feed their families, if they are the providers.

My prayers and support are with those who did make it and who are working for the rest of us, to make Thailand a less corrupt place.

For those of you who just got here and are wondering why the trains are not running and what the demonstration is all about, here is a Thai link to 24 hour coverage...

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm?http://wwitv.c...nnels/b2973.htm

Railway Authority meets to decipher response to mass employee absences

Director of Public Relations for the Railway Authority of Thailand Pairach Rojcharoengam (ไพรัช โรจน์เจริญงาม) revealed that executives of the authority met this morning to decipher measures to deal with the absence of many employees causing several train lines to suspend operation.

Initial measures have decided to use buses to aid passengers who have been left stranded by the employee shortage. The current shortage has been attributed to a Cabinet decision in 1998 which restricts the railway authority from increasing its employee base over 5 percent per year. Workers are by regulation allowed 1-2 days of leave before having to produce medical evidence of their illness. If the workers fail to do so, or are found to participate in other activities during the leave, it will be considered a discplinary infraction.

Mr. Pairach stated that he is aware of rumors that railway employees have been enticed to join the People's Alliance for Democracy rally but he has not seen any solid evidence. He stated that an investigation has been launched into the matter.

A total of 9 train lines have been suspended as of today.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 August 2008

SRT to seek real causes of operators’ mass strike

Following the recent suspension of State Railway of Thailand (SRT)’s rail services in the northern and northeastern service areas, SRT executives are holding an urgent meeting today (August 29th) to seek the real cause of the SRT operators’ strike in order to prevent the service suspension in the future.

Chief of SRT’s Public Relations Division Phairat Rojcharoen-ngam (ไพรัช โรจน์เจริญงาม) says eight passenger trains and another five cargo and oil transport trains of the two lines have been out of service since yesterday (August 28th).

Despite a small number of trains’ operation suspension, Mr. Phairat says SRT operators’ move has created huge impacts on commuters. He says at the moment, the SRT has a limited number of operators.

Hundreds of rail operators are reportedly on sick leave at the same time. According to SRT regulations, they don’t have to submit medical certificates if their leave is not over two days. SRT operators’ sick leave presumably is due to their expression of support for supporters at the Government House.

Anarchy is not democracy. The people voted.

Mob rules and the stupid support it.

Hear, hear!

The people voted for PPP, now PPP can do what PPP wants. Strange understanding of democracy.

The truth is not all people voted vor PPP and any government or president that got elected is simply not allowed to ignore the minority that did not vote for them/him. And that minority was not very small in Samak's PPP case.

It is also true that the people voted for the constitution 2550. So if Mr. Samak and his gang love to stick to the peoples vote, as they always do when telling everybody that they were elected, then they also should stick to the present constitution containing a lot of democratic principles. But they try again and again to change it so they can go back to the PPP anarchy they are used to - and which they love much more.

Permanent Secretary of Interior says government agencies suspending work attempting to pressure government

Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Interior Pongpayome Vasaputi (พงศ์โพยม วาศภูติ) commented on several government agencies ceasing operation, stating that executives of the agencies must create understanding amongst their employees. He stated that if they cannot create understanding they should make the suspension of duty known to the public so that citizens may deal with the situation accordingly.

Mr. Pongpayome said that he believes the occurrence is a short term effort by government agencies to pressure the government. He also said that authorities attempting to deter citizens from outside the capital from entering Bangkok are in danger of infringing on laws themselves and thus he stated that the Interior Ministry will try to publicize the issue.

The Permanent Secretary stated that the suspension of operation of many government agencies is completely a political strategy.

Railway Authority to meet with workers union in efforts to end situation by today

Governor of the Railway Authority of Thailand Yuthana Thapcharoen (ยุทธนา ทัพเจริญ) stated after meeting with executives of the authority incharge of transport operations, engineering, civil engineering, security and communications that the authority would expedite efforts to remedy a situation created by 240 employees taking a leave of absence at the same time. The governor affirmed the situation would be solved within the day.

The Railway Authority have set up a work committee to investigate the matter and have also set measures to spread present man power inspect the situation in 4 key areas in Nakorn Sawan province, Saraburi province, Nakorn Ratchasima province and Chumporn.

The authority is also scheduled to meet with Railway Workers Union to discuss and find a conclusion to the situation by this evening.

Latest reports have shown that the number of suspended train lines has reached 27, up from 19 earlier this morning and estimated revenue loss has reacehd 3 million baht.

Nonetheless, Mr. Yuthana affirms that the absent employees have done so as a political statement and are not acting out against the management of the Railway Authority. He has asked that employees consider their service to citizens before taking any further leave.

Railway Authority meets to decipher response to mass employee absences

Director of Public Relations for the Railway Authority of Thailand Pairach Rojcharoengam (ไพรัช โรจน์เจริญงาม) revealed that executives of the authority met this morning to decipher measures to deal with the absence of many employees causing several train lines to suspend operation.

Seems a bit over the top to encrypt the sick notes, but I'm sure the SRT's Bletchley Park is up to the task!

wow

here we go again. or don't any of you remember. i keep reading what most of you are saying and i don't think you really do know.

remember back in 1992? who was doing it then and who is doing it now?

i think you will find basically the same people.

who is right and who is wrong? May be some of you had better start thinking a little before you open your mouth.

I don't normally reply to this site, but i think i will for now on.

many of you, i am afraid, are realy stupid, dumber then dirt.