Rabbits

intumult

Most thai used to eat rabbit,dog,rat,etc.

But Nongwhyay is right. Most "Gratai" today is keept like a pet.

Same dog. But before many eat dog (of course not there own)

I don't think anybody will make a lot of money on rabbits in Thailand.

My plan, when I go to retire, is to raise rabbits for my own consumption. Tastes a lot like chicken! :o

Then eat chicken.Why the headache.

Some people say snake taste like chicken.

tHEN EAT CHICKEN.

Some people say people taste like chicken - then eat PEOPLE (er, I mean chicken :D )

I thought people tasted like pork? The crispy skin a bit like 'cracklin' ?

Chicken is 10 a penny. Humans a bit rarer in the pot :D

Horse meat anybody?

Hmmm, Thais do not like to eat fluffy bunnies? Strange place that I learn something more about each week :D

Eat your heart out.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how DO you slaughter a rabbit???? I seem to remember as a kid that you give them a karate chop to the back of the kneck....... or was that only a fairy story???? Or do you wring their knecks like chickens??? (if that´s how they kill chickens???)................ or am I becoming too morbid???? :o

tHEN EAT CHICKEN.

Can you say "bird flu" boys and girls? I knew you could.

Species diversity. It's a wonderful thing.

I'm serious about wanting to learn how to do this. Any advice on where to get a pair for breeding and eating?

Can you say "SALOMELLA".

Can you spell "salmonella"? :D

Can you say "myxomatosis"? :o (By the way, I love rabbit pie! 10.gif)

• Like 1

So how DO you slaughter a rabbit???? I seem to remember as a kid that you give them a karate chop to the back of the kneck....... or was that only a fairy story???? Or do you wring their knecks like chickens??? (if that´s how they kill chickens???)................ or am I becoming too morbid???? :o

WARNING!!!!

DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE AFFLIATED WITH PETA OR THINK OF RABBITS AS PETS:

As a teenager one of my chores (since dad raised rabbits) was to butcher the rabbits. I had to butcher and clean 8-10 at a time. How it was done (taught by my father):

1) Grab a fluffy/furry critter by the two back legs. Holding him hanging down this caused the bunny’s normal reaction to turn his/her neck upward and try and bite the hand of the person holding his back legs.

2) With his head turned upward, take a piece of 2x4 and whack him on the back of his/her neck. NOTE: With a good forceful strike on target the rabbit would twitch for a few seconds and die. Sometimes (rarely) you might have to whack him/her a second time.

3) Take the dead rabbit and nail him to my father’s taxidermy bench using 2 sixteen penny nails driving the nails through the back legs. Once again this left the rabbit hanging upside-down by his/her back legs.

4) Move a trash can directly under the rabbit.

5) Using tin snips clip the rabbit’s front legs off just above the foot. (If the trash can is placed correctly the front legs will fall in the can.)

6) Take a sharp knife and cut a circle around the skin only of the front two legs (near the feet where the nails were driven in).

7) With the skin cut from the ‘meat’ near the front legs start skinning with the knife further down the front legs.

8) When a few inches has been skinned (skin away from the meat) down from the front legs and there is enough skin to grab and hold on to, pull the skin the rest of the way off of the carcass until the skin is pulled down to the head.

9) Once the skin has reached the head use a large sharp knife and cut the head off. This will allow the head and all the skin to drop into the targeted trash can.

10) Take the skinning knife and cut a large vertical slit in the chest of the rabbit.

11) Pull out all the innards (intestines, organs, etc.) and allow them to drop into the trash can.

12) Holding onto the freshly cleaned rabbit, use the tin snips and cut the back two legs away from the 2 nails holding them right at the feet.

13) Wash the rabbit thoroughly and then soak for one night in salt water.

14) Fresh rabbit is now ready to eat or frozen for future cooking.

As a teenager I got to where I could clean a rabbit in just a matter of a few minutes.

I am sure there will be a lot of animal rights (PETA) activists flaming me about killing wildlife but I really don’t give a rat’s arse. I was raised with a shotgun in one hand, a fishing pole in the other, I was taught the correct use of both, I was taught to respect and be blessed for the things I killed and ate. Most of all everything that we killed was food on the table. My father rarely spent any money on meat from a store. We always had fresh deer, elk, pheasant, duck, quail, wild bore, rabbit, squirrel, fish, and more in our freezers at all times. Between this and having a large garden where we canned many vegetables I am sure my father’s grocery bill was very minimal throughout those years.

• Like 1

I seem to remember reading somewhere here - although I haven´t been able to find the thread - that Thais consider rabbits as pets only and wouldn´t consider eating them. You wouldn´t find a market for them, so may just end up eating them yourself if you breed them (unless you sell them as pets), as Ozzydom appears to do. Can anyone confirm - or refute - this???

Rabbit meat is sold here,certainly at Macro and Rimping.....Expensive though.

A good Rabbit stew with dumplings(now that I can get Atora suet)....heaven!!

• Like 1

Out in the boonies where I live, people eat nearly anything. I like rabbit meat and when I suggested raising a few for meat my wife was horrified. She insists that rabbits are pets and NOT meant to be eaten.

Most thai used to eat rabbit,dog,rat,etc.

But Nongwhyay is right. Most "Gratai" today is keept like a pet.

Same dog. But before many eat dog (of course not there own)

I don't think anybody will make a lot of money on rabbits in Thailand.

My plan, when I go to retire, is to raise rabbits for my own consumption. Tastes a lot like chicken! :o

tHEN EAT CHICKEN.

Some people say people taste like chicken - then eat PEOPLE (er, I mean chicken  :D )

Human flesh is referred to as long pig, so I reckon it's more likely we taste like pork.

While I enjoyed the taste of rabbit, one should be aware the it is lacking in certain essential fats and vitamins. There is one instance of Canadian hunters who only ate rabbit. They were found dead due to malnutrition.

I was taught to respect and be blessed for the things I killed and ate. Most of all everything that we killed was food on the table. My father rarely spent any money on meat from a store. We always had fresh deer, elk, pheasant, duck, quail, wild bore, rabbit, squirrel, fish, and more in our freezers at all times. Between this and having a large garden where we canned many vegetables I am sure my father's grocery bill was very minimal throughout those years.

Sorry, my english is not good enough to express my feelings but I 100% agree with you.

As a teenager I got to where I could clean a rabbit in just a matter of a few minutes.

Afraid you wont get a job as a skinner in Oz mate. :o If you could not skin 300 per hour,you ended up pegging legs or framing skins for drying, a top skinner with a Joseph Rodgers pocket knife ( the Rolls Royce of rabbit skinning knives ) could skin and gut 500 an hour and still have time to roll a smoke.

On one particular instance many years ago 8 of us picked up 5000 dead bunnies from 1/2 mile of poisoned furrow and had them skinned ,the bodies peg-legged on a fence to air dry and the skins on frames and hung up to dry before lunch.

That was in the days when rabbit felt was in big demand by hat makers like Akubra and armed forces slouch hats were made of rabbit fur.

Many farmers bought their farms on the proceeds of rabbit skins and carcases.

There are only 4 cuts needed to skin a rabbit for its hide and 7 to fully dress a carcase.

To kill a rabbit for skin only you just hold him by the back legs ,grab his head,a 90 degree twist and stretch to break its neck.

To kill for dressing as eating carcase, you make a shallow cut across the right hand side of his throat with a very sharp knife ,cutting the jugular vein, this ensures the bunny bleeds out before dying, you end up with much lighter color flesh and the flesh keeps longer .

The same principal is used these days to commercially slaughter chickens.

:D

Gor blimey......... are you both serious (dingdongrb and ozzydom)????? I suspect ozzydom is pulling legs as regards the number of rabbits he skinned.............. but as far as slaughtering the animals is concerned, I´ll definitely let my wife try out your methods first..... :o

Gor blimey......... are you both serious (dingdongrb and ozzydom)????? I suspect ozzydom is pulling legs as regards the number of rabbits he skinned.............. but as far as slaughtering the animals is concerned, I´ll definitely let my wife try out your methods first..... :o

You misread,I did not say I could skin that many,I said a top skinner. :D

I was only a lad in those days and was lucky to do 100 an hour, There is quite a bit of strength required to skin in those numbers ,because it is done in the bush , you only use your two arms/hands and a knife.

Here is the method a top skinner uses,

1.Grab your dead bunny and make two cuts from where its navel would be down the inside of each back leg.

2.bend each back leg into its normal squatting position and the knee joint pops out the cut you made, just push your thumb in behind the knee under the skin and pull, the skin pulls off down to the heel and rips off.

3. Push your thumb under the skin across the loin (just in front of the tail), a strong person can just give the tail a twist and pull to separate it, if your like me you slash it off with you knife, that is cut 3.

4. Grab the separated skin in one hand and the back legs in the other ,and pull.the skin peels off up to the shoulders,including the front legs, then you do the same as the back legs ,,, stick your thumb through under the skin behind the elbow an pull , the leg pulls out of the skin and separates at the top of the foot , another pull and the skin is off to the back of the ears, a little nick on the inside out skin just behind the ears and the skin tears off around a line from the back of the ears to the back of the jaw...... skin off.

If you want to gut ,you just make a cut down the belly ,hold its head and flick and the gut flies out, all in less than 10 seconds.

This is the standard way to skin as they must be uniform to fit the heavy gauge fence wire skin frames for drying plus the skin merchants and factories demand uniformity for other processes.

Afraid you wont get a job as a skinner in Oz mate. :o If you could not skin 300 per hour,you ended up pegging legs or framing skins for drying, a top skinner with a Joseph Rodgers pocket knife ( the Rolls Royce of rabbit skinning knives ) could skin and gut 500 an hour and still have time to roll a smoke.

On one particular instance many years ago 8 of us picked up 5000 dead bunnies from 1/2 mile of poisoned furrow and had them skinned ,the bodies peg-legged on a fence to air dry and the skins on frames and hung up to dry before lunch.

That was in the days when rabbit felt was in big demand by hat makers like Akubra and armed forces slouch hats were made of rabbit fur.

There are only 4 cuts needed to skin a rabbit for its hide and 7 to fully dress a carcase.

To kill a rabbit for skin only you just hold him by the back legs ,grab his head,a 90 degree twist and stretch to break its neck.

To kill for dressing as eating carcase, you make a shallow cut across the right hand side of his throat with a very sharp knife ,cutting the jugular vein, this ensures the bunny bleeds out before dying, you end up with much lighter color flesh and the flesh keeps longer .

Ozzy, I didn’t say I wanted a job skinning rabbit or I was the fastest at skinning them, I merely was trying to describe my method of killing and skinning a rabbit for those that asked. Now I would have to really doubt that anyone could kill and skin 500 rabbits, let alone 300 in an hour time. For 300 an hour that means skinning one rabbit every 12 seconds. No freakin way! What a bunch of hogwash!

And as a trapper of muskrat, mink, fox, and raccoon for many years, I do now that a good pelt is not just about the skinning. There is also some prep work needed to shave and remove all the fat from the pelt before drying or the hair (fur) will pull out after it has been dried and tanned.

I take that back as I just found this while searching the Internet:

"Last year's world champion rabbit skinner was Colin Hawker, of Portland, winning with a time of 11 seconds."

http://ararat.yourguide.com.au/news/local/...ast/314580.aspx

But I am wondering:

1) Was this just skinning or killing, skinning, and gutting?

2) Was this rabbit all prepped and ready to be skinned for this competion?

I would still tend to think that there isn't anyone that could make this time (11 seconds) or twelve seconds for that matter over a full period of one hour or more. Once again, I still think it is all ‘hogwash’. Prove me wrong...

Ozzy, I didn’t say I wanted a job skinning rabbit or I was the fastest at skinning them, I merely was trying to describe my method of killing and skinning a rabbit for those that asked. Now I would have to really doubt that anyone could kill and skin 500 rabbits, let alone 300 in an hour time. For 300 an hour that means skinning one rabbit every 12 seconds. No freakin way! What a bunch of hogwash!

And as a trapper of muskrat, mink, fox, and raccoon for many years, I do now that a good pelt is not just about the skinning. There is also some prep work needed to shave and remove all the fat from the pelt before drying or the hair (fur) will pull out after it has been dried and tanned.

First off ,I said that these rabbits in the instance I describe were poisoned wild rabbits so there was no killing involved,secondly there is no hide prep required as wild rabbits (in Oz anyway) have no fat on the skin.

Not to be forgotten is the fact that these men rabbited for a living every day of the week.

Its a bit like a professional fish filleter can scale and fillet a box of fish while a layman does one fish.

Come to think of it ,it probably is bullshit ( or hawgwash as you yanks prefer) but if you are really certain of that ,I have 100k to put up and will even supply the rabbit that I can still skin a bunny in less than 12 seconds. :D

Ozzy, I didn't say I wanted a job skinning rabbit or I was the fastest at skinning them, I merely was trying to describe my method of killing and skinning a rabbit for those that asked. Now I would have to really doubt that anyone could kill and skin 500 rabbits, let alone 300 in an hour time. For 300 an hour that means skinning one rabbit every 12 seconds. No freakin way! What a bunch of hogwash!

First off ,I said that these rabbits in the instance I describe were poisoned wild rabbits so there was no killing involved,secondly there is no hide prep required as wild rabbits (in Oz anyway) have no fat on the skin.

Not to be forgotten is the fact that these men rabbited for a living every day of the week.

Its a bit like a professional fish filleter can scale and fillet a box of fish while a layman does one fish.

Come to think of it ,it probably is bullshit ( or hawgwash as you yanks prefer) but if you are really certain of that ,I have 100k to put up and will even supply the rabbit that I can still skin a bunny in less than 12 seconds. :D

Sorry Ozzy as much as I would love to take that greenery away from you, there is no gambling allowed on this forum. And I still say that you can't: kill, skin, and dress (gut) a rabbit in 12 seconds!

I have about 30 at the moment,breeding them here is a chore, red ants are the big problem ,they attack the newborns and sting them to death.

Ozzy,had thought about breeding some for myself as I did this years back in the USA. How do you deal with the ants that you mention? Also I am wondering if the sweltering heat affects raising them here in LOS. I guess when the time comes I'll search more on this forum for any information about raising them here in LOS as I am wondering numerous things crossing my mind that wouldn't be problems from my experience back in the states. Any info or links you could provide me hare (oops, pun intended) would be great.

They would be much easier to raise in elevated cages keeping your bucks and breeding does separate , only putting the doe in the bucks cage at nooky time and having a communal cage for the weaned babies.

But I free range mine with the ducks in a building block next door to our house ,I had a 7 foot block wall put around it to keep animals in and light fingers out.

Because of the heavy rains here I fabricate burrows from 20l plastic drums with a 8" round hole cut in and a 4 foot x8" concrete pipe fitted in ,this makes a burrow and nesting box , I place them on a raised heap of sand an cover it over with the same.

It works and they use it but it gets extremely hot and humid so I now cut a vent in the top of the plastic drum and put shade cloth over the lot,survival is really good now.

For the ants ,I rake in that white ant powder all round the burrows,it seems to work ok but it only needs a blade of grass in the wrong place to give the ants a walkway in. The cure is still a work in progress.

The village kids and the Mums with infants love them, they come every afternoon to feed them vegetables through the gate, if we are not to busy the little ones are let in to hold the weaners, they seem to get a kick out of it as most have never seen a bunny.

I feed the rabbits and handle them every day ,but they are a bit iffy about getting to close to me, yet the little kids come in and sit on the sand heap and the adults and all are over them eating out of their hands and getting petted.

Thanks for the info Ozzy. When I raised them in the states I usually kept one buck and three does. I built a cage that was two tiered with four individual units. Each unit had a shelter area (made of plywood) where they stayed at night and during the birthing. Each unit then had an open area constructed of a frame and 'chicken' wire. The rabbits had free run always between the shelter area and the open area but yet all four individual units were contained within themselves. Under the flooring (chicken wire) of both tiers had a sheet of plywood that was sloped so that all the droppings ran out in the back. This made for a 'no clean' pen and allowed the droppings to be easily scooped up and be used for garden fertilizer. This rabbit pen was a construction idea passed down from my father years ago when I was young and he raised rabbits. Three does and one buck were more than enough to keep plenty of fresh rabbit on the table and in the freezer.

We always just bought the rabbit 'pellets' to feed them. I believe that the pellets were nothing more than compressed hay and greens. We also feed them any garden greens that were going to waste. Do you know if Thailand has any rabbit pellets that can be bought? I see a similar looking pellet for fish food but don't know what it is comprised of.

We

Dingdong

Rabbit pellets are available in LOS. I have seen them at several of the smaller animal feed suppliers, the only problem is I have not found them in 50# bags what I seen have been broken down into maybe 5# bags targeting the pet rabbit keeper not the person who raises for meat. I'm quite sure if you checked with the larger feed suppliers you would be able to find them in the large bags at a cheaper price per kilo.

I have about 30 at the moment,breeding them here is a chore, red ants are the big problem ,they attack the newborns and sting them to death.

Dom

I've raised rabbits for home consumption in the states for years and now that I'm getting closer to living in LOS full time I'm looking forward to doing the same here. I'm looking to buy either some new zealands or californias or actualy would settle for some other medium to large type strictly for meat purposes. By any chance are the rabbits you have a meat type? If not do you know where I could purchase some?

I have skinned thousands of rabbbits and even more white hares!!

15 seconds for a wabbit is not that fast!! Not too bad!!

On my last flight over to LOS two Issan lads were having a fit after seeing Kratai running about at the side of the runway at Schipol!! They spoke about nothing else for about two hours(then fell asleep)!!

My wife thinks rabbit meat stinks when cooked (same same goat)

When i was a child my father always brought a rabbit home once a week killed it with one punch to the back of the head my mother skinned it and cooked it , when i am settled in Thailand i will rear a few big rabbits to eat . My wife says they are pets and not for eating Thai people dont eat rabbits , i know there was one company rearing and selling rabbits for eating in Phuket i read about them one time on either the Phuket Gazette or the Bkk post .

JB

When i was a child my father always brought a rabbit home once a week killed it with one punch to the back of the head my mother skinned it and cooked it , when i am settled in Thailand i will rear a few big rabbits to eat . My wife says they are pets and not for eating Thai people dont eat rabbits , i know there was one company rearing and selling rabbits for eating in Phuket i read about them one time on either the Phuket Gazette or the Bkk post .

JB

Same here, when a child my father always kept & bred a few NewZealands for the table, we ate it at least once a week. I would also like to raise a few here in Thailand. I do know the Malai company supply Makro & have seen photos on their ads; they rear pretty much the same as any commercial rabbit grower the world over. At some point, I'll contact them to see if breeding stock is availabe to buy. It always makes me laugh when Thai's refuse to eat Rabbit when they eat their 'dirty' cousin the RAT...lol. I know which I'd rather eat.

I don't know about 15 seconds, but skinning a rabbit is a very quick job. Wish I had a hundred baht for every one I've cleaned both home reared & shot wild. I imagine as Ozzydom says, with years of practice, doing little else these guys will have it down to a fine art.

There's a difference between skinning a rabbit to save the fur and skinning a rabbit for the cook pot. To save the pelt, the previously described methods are what you have to do, much like skinning a muskrat. For simply skinning the rabbit to eat, the best way I have found is to pluck out a patch of hair near the middle of his back. Make a slit big enough to get the two fingers of each hand into the slit. The rest of the skin will tear easily and both the front half and back half will peel off like two gloves. The idea is to avoid getting hair on the carcass. If you are not careful it will take much longer to pluck the hair off the carcass than it took to skin the rabbit. After the rabbit is skinned, you can proceed to gut it. The feet and head are removed before the rabbit is skinned. Big red Ohio fox squirrels are cleaned the same way but they have a MUCH tougher skin and it takes considerable force to skin them. If I had a baht for each rabbit and squirrel I have cleaned, I'd have enough for a pretty happy night out on the town.

Skinning a muskrat takes a little patience and skill. We had an old native American Indian who bought them from us and did the skinning. We always suspected that he sold the pelts and then sold muskrat carcasses as rabbits.

I expect rabbit skinning is all about necessity . There is a vast difference in what is required when handling a dozen rabbits from a days hunting in the USA or UK and how a professional rabbitoh in OZ who used a horse and dray to cart out the results of a days hunting.

Skins pegged out was cash in the bank.

When I was young, refridgeration was still on the horizon so carcases were only sold to the butchers in the city during winter.

The milk truck ,(which was about the only regular transport) would drop off a heap of banana boxes near your camp in the highlands and pick them up along with the dressed bunnies the next day, (threepence a pair was the price we got).

Unless you were an Ozzy and saw the amount of rabbits we had in those days it is easy to be skeptical, 24 european rabbits were originally introduced and in just 10 years they were slaughtering 2 million a year and not even denting the population.

A Google of "Rabbits in Australia" will give a good insight of what they were like.

The same skeptics have trouble comprehending that a good sheep shearer shears between 200-300 sheep in an 8 hour working day,thats a sheep every 1.6 -2.5 minutes.

Of course you need to be an Ozzy,a Kiwi , a Scot or a Welshman to be that skillful. :o

• 1 year later...

I saw wild rabbits in Thailand for the first time this year (10 yrs).

My worker found 2 young ones under a pile of cut grass.

They looked a bit different to UK rabbits, more brown than gray & smaller ears.

Also I would guess from their size that an adult is smaller than a UK rabbit.

Unfortunatly later that day he wacked one with the weed wacker, & had to finish it off.

Maybe the other survived & maybe I can get it for the pot sometime.

I asked about rabbits in this thread from 2006. Basically the same responses back then. Wild rabbit is eaten but the colored ones are considered pets.

Also, the rabbits that my now ex-girlfriend and I took up to Isaan died fairly quickly for some reason. They were eating a combination of rabbit pellets (which was availble at the local feed store in bulk bags) and local vegetation. She wasn't there when they died, but I think her explanation of what was told to her was they had too much feces and they bloated up. I have no idea what that means. They made it several weeks and then all died within a 2 day span so it was definitely something they ate or drank.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Eating-Rabbi...aan-t69081.html

It's worth mentioning to our Thai friends. You can literally starve to death if you only eat rabbit. It is lacking in essential fatty acids that humans need. On "Man vs Wild" He told story about 2 Canadian Rabbit hunters who were hunting them for their skins. They ate the meat and rabbit meat was all they ate. They were found dead from malnutrition.

Bunny rabbits - not the playboy type either -. Are there any in Thailand? I have yet to see one.

My parents in law had a fluffy one in a cage but I think he ate it, like he did when our guinea pig died.

I don't think they're indigenous here though.

Weren't they introduced into Australia and they ate all the kangaroos... or have I got that wrong?

They where introduced into Australia when it was first colonized by Europeans as a food source and foxes were introduced for hunting, they were brought into new south wales i believe (nsw is a state on the eastern seaboard of Australia), both animals are now considered vermin all over Australia but so far they have not been able to exterminate them