Is "farang" Impolite?

Neeranam

Is "farang" impolite  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let me ask this question; what do you wish to be called instead of farang/falang? I can understand form time to time that the word farang has some ignorance and annoying tone behind it and its not easy on the ears or even that a few hand full of people might not even like farang to much. And if your in a bad mood it doesn’t help to much.

I have a nick name around here from the Issan food stall keepers as the (Cold Farang) because when there is a slight breeze I where a hooded jacked and go out. but they are very nice people who always give food while walking backing in exchange for picking some herbs from my garden. Hmmm

So I think the studies are bogus or either the students don’t like the OP to much.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A German boards an aircraft in Munich and he is a kraut which is a vegetable (cabbage). He disembarks in Bangkok and he is a farang which is a fruit. At what stage on the journey does this metamorphosis take place?

I can see why you chose your avatar. :o

..edit: .and possibly why you chose your nik! :D

(sorry. Just teasing!)

Edited by eek

When a person uses 'farang' instead of your name when speaking directly to you, that's a different situation. It is definitely impolite

I have a son-in-law who is Welsh and I call him 'Taff', am I being impolite?

I have a friend who is Scottish and I call him 'Jock', am I being impolite?

I also have a friend who is black and I call him 'SamBo', am I being impolite?

When a person uses 'farang' instead of your name when speaking directly to you, that's a different situation. It is definitely impolite

I'll remember that, you never called me sambo, you old fart! :o:D

I'll remember that, you never called me sambo, you old fart! :o:D

It may be because your name is not Samuel Bowe! We almost caused a riot in a Notting Hill pub once. We had arranged to meet there and I was there before him. I saw him standing in the doorway and I shouted 'Over here, Sambo!"

So u will keep correcting them everytime when Thai ppl call u Farang?

will u go to the bar named Farang Bar?

will u catch the taxi which got I Love Farang poster sticked at the window?

since u dnt like being called Farang

Why don't u just tryna feel ok with being called as Farang?

i can accept and feel ok with the word "Undeveloped country" ... and still stuck in my head! :o

I dnt call u guys as FArang tho ... but the others

over 63 million ppl call u as Farang......

Maybe there are some jerks speaking directly to u. yeh it's impolite

A friend told me. it's kind of annoying when the Tuk-Tuk driver come and ask u "Hey you you FArang where you go!" ... i can understand that.

Edited by thithi

i can accept and feel ok with the word "Undeveloped country" ... and still stuck in my head! :o

A friend told me. it's kind of annoying when the Tuk-Tuk driver come and ask u "Hey you you FArang where you go!" ... i can understand that.

I don't care what you call me thithi, just as long as you call me.

Why don't black people just accept being called "Nigger"?

Would you like to be called a <deleted>, paki, chink, slope, gook, monkey etc? I don't think you would like it and you would be right to want to stop people using these very negative words to refer to you.

The answer is that these words are not ok to use just like the word farang should not be used because it is racist and indicative of ignorance.

Edited by haltes

err......

not only from my avatar a .... also in my pf page ... saying i'm 18 [and several months] :D

but dun worry bkkjames .. u still look hot by your posts! lol

[just teasing na ka :o ]

Edited by thithi

Bkkjames...ummm from thithi's avatar, she doesn't appear to be older than 18... And I am not gonn be surprised if you actually are over 40 years old.

Ahh…..but he might be into the Snoopy thing!

Bkkjames…..don’t tell me, you’re thinking about leaving me for the Snoopy.

Nowadays no one wants the older generation HelloKitty anymore, I understand :o

Would you like to be called a <deleted>, paki, chink, slope, gook, monkey etc? I don't think you would like it and you would be right to want to stop people using these very negative words to refer to you.

The answer is that these words are not ok to use just like the word farang should not be used because it is racist and indicative of ignorance.

Farang word is not racist and indicative of ignoranc...

We didnt do anything to u like SOME whites did to those American Indians, blacks or yellows

actually i should say we couldnt do...

teacup ... snoopy is mine !!!

LOL

You mean you can't distinguish?. They are your friends/family a totally different situation. If someone didn't know you and called you something inappropriate (displaying their ignorance and their lack of social skill or grace) would that be OK? On second thought, for you it may be.

OK, your a F****** A*******. Just testing.

Can "not accepting or listening to what native speakers say about their own language" be considered ignorance? But I guess you consider that your own personal enlightenment, ehh?

PS. Khun Teacup and Thithi krab, as a Thai guy, I'm a bit sad to see you two fighting for a farang man. :cry: ... Kidding na krab. :o

Edited by ThNiner

Bkkjames...ummm from thithi's avatar, she doesn't appear to be older than 18... And I am not gonn be surprised if you actually are over 40 years old.

Bkkjames…..don't tell me, you're thinking about leaving me for the Snoopy.

Nowadays no one wants the older generation HelloKitty anymore, I understand :D

here kitty kitty :o

Because the likes of Nigger (and other examples of Paki and Gook etc...) are derogatory and racist English words.

Aren't comparisons like these taking this thread just a little too far now?

Edited by Stephen Cleary

here kitty kitty :o

.... this is why i hate Kitty!!

:D

p' thiner == ......... errr i'm fighting for Snoopy only na .. wht did u think huh ??

Last weekend, I was asked to teach an intensive course to 4th year, university Sociolgy Students.

I taught them about describing one's ethnicity but first asked them to fill in a group questionaire as to what was polite to say in Thailand.

I found the results interesting but actually thought as much:-

1 - Black - polite

2 - Kaek(Indian) - impolite

3 - Jaek (Chinese) - impolite

4 - Farang - impolite

PLease don't embarass yourselves by calling yourself a farang.

I can live with it....

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

When southern white people chose to use racial slurs in describing people of african descent, the white people were not offended. The african-americans were highly offended. This is the case for every racial slur - IT IS IMPOLITE IF THE GROUP BEING REFERRED TO FIND IT IMPOLITE. Given that many westerners, perhaps the majority, do find the term somewhat derogatory, then it is indeed derogatory and shouldn't be used. It really doesn't matter what Thai people believe in this type of situation. It only matters the effect they have - which is causing offense.

This is my principled opinion.

Practically I really don't care much because it isn't an issue to get bent out of shape over. Sure every once in a while I might get annoyed, but that's about it. However, I would never use any sweeping terms to describe people when I know they cause offense. But hey, that's me.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

What's wrong with white expats living in Thailand trying to blend in with us? :o :yawn:

What is your proposal here? Your saying the right words, but you know full well why? Just read some of the threads on TV and there is an exhausting amount of evidence to give you the answers to your ill conceived ( and a little smug) question.

nothing bad with this word. since i'm thai...

we cant tell which nationalities u guyss are ...

so all caucasian are called Farang... cos we cant say chao tang chad all the timeg

unlike we got a word to call chinese....

You note calling Chinese, chinese (I think). What about Koreans, or arabs, or Africans? Just curious. Farang means "foreigner," correct?

RJ

A p…ssy is what you lookin for,….not a kitty

I think you're in the wrong aisle :o

LOL

but he/she is a lady .. that what i know

obviously he/she puts a pic of a handsome animate guy on his/her avatar....

LMAO

here kitty kitty :D

.... this is why i hate Kitty!!

:D

p' thiner == ......... errr i'm fighting for Snoopy only na .. wht did u think huh ??

Sounds to me like he is another jealous local guy who thinks farangs should only date 30+ year olds with 3 kids. :o