Is "farang" Impolite?

Neeranam

Is "farang" impolite  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You don't see the Thais getting bent out of shape every time they are referred to as Kon Thai. Why do Kon Farang have to have such a big chip on their shoulder about this.

Because outside of Thailand, there is no such thing as Kon Farang. It is racist. Thais are racist. If you can't cope, take a hike.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is that Thai is not based on skin colour.

You can be white skinned and Thai, dark skinned and Thai etc.

Farang only denotes a white skinned person of European appearance.

British/American/Australian do not denote skin colour do they?

It's a racist term used by uneducated morons.

Its better then to be called a A-hole in my opinion. :o

Edited by RakJungTorlae

sollieee misterrr... it's all my badddddd that i'm not born to be a native English Speaker or a westernerrrrr...

My wife is Thai but she is educated enough to not use the term "farang". Oh yes, and her English is as good as most native speakers.

What's your valid reason for presenting yourself as an uneducated buffoon?

Proud to be Thai???? <deleted> does that mean, proud to not question or think about things. The power not to think critically about anything? It seems your lack of thought probably stems from the education system here so it's probably not your fault. Maybe you graduated from ABAC :o

sollieee misterrr... it's all my badddddd that i'm not born to be a native English Speaker or a westernerrrrr...

My wife is Thai but she is educated enough to not use the term "farang". Oh yes, and her English is as good as most native speakers.

Proud to be Thai???? <deleted> does that mean, proud to not question or think about things. The power not to think critically about anything? It seems your lack of thought probably stems from the education system here so it's probably not your fault. Maybe you graduated from ABAC :o

I sense a mod in the near future, don't you?

Then what dose your wife call you Sir???

so get out of Thailand

then u will never hear Farang word again

and make sure there is no any Thais in yr neighborhood.

I cant understand why on earth u guys think it's racist

since i'm thai and i can say that it's NOT racist AT aLL...

Some thai ppl say it cos they dnt even know the meaning!

IT's true SOme thai ppl are uneducated... so what's wrong with that??

Are they try to kill u or something?

o yeh you are perfectttt.

your wife is perfecttttt.

then u'd better go to the perfecttttt land.

Edited by thithi

You mean you can't distinguish?. They are your friends/family a totally different situation. If someone didn't know you and called you something inappropriate (displaying their ignorance and their lack of social skill or grace) would that be OK? On second thought, for you it may be.

Unlike a lot of posters here, I have neither an inferiority complex nor feelings of inadequacy. It's all water off a duck's back.

For example I was up-country once and some bloke wanted some money from me for beer, and so he approaches me and asks "You, farang have song roi baht?". This I found incredibly rude as considering he was asking me for money the very least that he could do was to call me by name or at least make an effort to know my name.

'Some bloke', implying that you did not know him, wants some money and he has to ask you your name and then call you by name??? Is that a joke? Have you ever thought about having your name tattooed on your forehead?

Errrm, no I am not joking. As I said he did not even make an effort to learn my name and it wouldn't have taken a tattoo on my forehead to find out as he could have simply have asked somebody else. Even a "Sir" or "Khun" would have been much better but no, I was simply "You, Farang"

so get out of Thailand

The normal racist reply (and reply of the ignorant) i.e. if you don't like it then leave.

Don't you get it??? It doesn't matter what YOU think it means, it's what WE think it means. Enough of us don't like it. Enough of us think it is racist and not appropriate to use in this day and age. That should be enough I think!

We contribute here, we work here, pay taxes here, even have children and partners here. We have few if any rights and this is constantly rammed down our throats with the words "farang" and even the word "foreigner". Go over to any civilized country and see how far you get calling people "foreigner" all the time. You will get your teeth knocked out and rightly so.

Edited by haltes

so get out of Thailand

now now dear, don't get all upset, i happen to like the way you talk

so get out of Thailand

The normal racist reply (and reply of the ignorant) i.e. if you don't like it then leave.

Don't you get it??? It doesn't matter what YOU think it means, it's what WE think it means. Enough of us don't like it. Enough of us think it is racist and not appropriate to use in this day and age. That should be enough I think!

We contribute here, we work here, pay taxes here, even have children and partners here. We have few if any rights and this is constantly rammed down our throats with the words "farang" and even the word "foreigner". Go over to any civilized country and see how far you get calling people "foreigner" all the time. You will get your teeth knocked out and rightly so.

Yeah well your in the jungle now baby!!!!!

so get out of Thailand

You are so right, this kind of thing would never happen in the north of England on a Friday night after the boys have a had a few too many pints. :o

You are so right, this kind of thing would never happen in the north of England on a Friday night after the boys have a had a few too many pints.

Just because it might happen somewhere in England (or elsewhere) does not make it right and is a very shallow argument.

I am going to repost my wacky idea from another thread. Thais are not going to stop calling us farangs. Of course, it is often very rude and of course it is a racial word because they are referring to people with white skin. How about we play with them?

I just had a thought.

Can we learn from the gay movement and play with the words here in Thailand?

By this I mean, gays have taken a previously considered bad word QUEER and turned it around into a positive affirming word by owning it and using it openly about themselves.

Farang isn't quite that word for us. Is there a MORE RUDE word that Thais know that also means farangs?

If so, what is it?

Could we take that MORE RUDE word and start pushing it, using it everywhere to describe ourselves, correcting Thais that no we are not farang, we are the RUDE WORD, and just have lots of fun with the embarrassment and absurdity of it all. Might it be a kick in the pants to Thai society that maybe they are being ignorant with their overuse of the word farang?

Just a thought.

Edited by Jingthing

You are so right, this kind of thing would never happen in the north of England on a Friday night after the boys have a had a few too many pints.

Just because it might happen somewhere in England (or elsewhere) does not make it right and is a very shallow argument.

I am just replying to what you said. So you are then suggesting that England is not a civilized place then?

I think the westerners who are offended by being called "farang" don't really understand the Thai culture and language, Thais think differently to westerners. A Thai calling a westerner "farang" isn't done so to cause offence, in a western world it's considered offensive to categorize different races but in Thailand it is not.

It's not really worth getting upset about this. Just think of all the offensive things westerners do when they're in Thailand, go into buildings with no shirt on, accidentally touch a Thai on the head, with no apology, wear shoes in someones home, point their feet at someone. Thais don't get upset, they understand that we're two very different cultures and no harm is intended.

It's not worth getting upset over a misunderstanding.

Edited by 5tash

Because there ace, I am a Canadian, call me Kon Canadian. DO you think Thais would like to be called Kon Asian, Kon Oriental etc etc. No, they would be upset.

I do not know you but if I were to see you across the street from me, how do I know that you are Canadian and not Aussie, Kiwi, Pole or Dutch?

Errrm, no I am not joking. As I said he did not even make an effort to learn my name and it wouldn't have taken a tattoo on my forehead to find out as he could have simply have asked somebody else. Even a "Sir" or "Khun" would have been much better but no, I was simply "You, Farang"

Why do you want a stranger to learn your name? What happens next? Learn his and become friends? Get real!

Why are you trying to impose your Western views in Thailand?

You don't see the Thais getting bent out of shape every time they are referred to as Kon Thai. Why do Kon Farang have to have such a big chip on their shoulder about this.

Because outside of Thailand, there is no such thing as Kon Farang. It is racist. Thais are racist. If you can't cope, take a hike.

On the contrary if you can't cope maybe you should take a hike! Why stay in a country where you feel persecuted and put upon?

I am pretty relaxed about the whole thing TBH.

Proud to be Thai???? <deleted> does that mean, proud to not question or think about things. The power not to think critically about anything? It seems your lack of thought probably stems from the education system here so it's probably not your fault. Maybe you graduated from ABAC :D

I sense a mod in the near future, don't you?

For sure :o

so get out of Thailand

You tell them ThiThi...........................

Farangs have to realise they're in Thailand cos they choose to be, don't expect Thailand to change just cos a few Farangs stay in the country!

If you address someone in the West, and you don't know their name, you say 'sir' or 'friend' or 'Ms' or 'Madame' You don't say: "Hey Paki, were you come from? Oh Pakistan, right!" We don't say Chink, chuckker, kite, spic, beaner, or other more derogatory words. We address the person not the ethnicity. And if the word farang does mean 'caucasian' we don't say that either.

I think using the term 'farang", is a sign of cultural insensitivity or no education or both. Saying that man or that woman would be an improvement, in terms of politeness...

If it was from purely empirical viewpoint, i'd agree, but the are 2 other stong factors here....language and culture. If we are to believe that the Thai language is at least in some part usage driven we have to look at the context, which is connected to the other factor...culture...Thai culture not Western culture and that muddies the issue for me. I certanly don't consider Thais are intentionally being rude when they use the term. I DO get slightly irked when I'm in earshot of a converstaion and someone refers to a westerner as "the Farang" as if they aren't there or they're some pet animal that they have to look after. I certainly hear it being used by my Thai colleagues who are by no means uneducated (engineers and scientists mostly).

western culture shies away from ethnically related terms as it fears it empowers racist ideas and habits....thai society is really not at that stage yet...whether through a lack of sophistication or through a different perspective is I would say pretty unproovable....but I doubt it is really the same kind of racism that fuels the Ku Klux klan or German skinheads or Russian nationalists.

Good Lord, how difficult can it be?

Farang: Collective noun used to describe someone of caucasian appearance.

Thai: Collective noun used to describe a citizen of Thailand.

JJ

Because there ace, I am a Canadian, call me Kon Canadian. DO you think Thais would like to be called Kon Asian, Kon Oriental etc etc. No, they would be upset.

On the contrary! They would not be upset because that is what they are!

Thais are not bound by all the PC bull crap like we are in the West! If a Thai girl has very slanty eyes because maybe her mother was Chinese and you said to her 'You have slanty eyes?' I think there is every possibilty she would not take offence, because guess what? She has slanty eyes!

JJ

QUOTE (bkkjames @ 2008-08-28 15:48:09)

I do not know you but if I were to see you across the street from me, how do I know that you are Canadian and not Aussie, Kiwi, Pole or Dutch?

So if I saw what looked like to be a Thai across the street from me and say not someone from Cambodia or Laos or Malaysia.....

If a Thai approaches you and compliments you on your skintone, would you take offence ?

Would you feel victimized or feel pretty good about yourself ?

I just don't get it with Farangs in Thailand, you're a long way from home, yet you expect it to be just like home.

I doubt very much that a Pakistani Immigrant in UK ever expected UK to be like Pakistan, yet Farangs in Thailand expect all the benefits Thailand has to offer, but whine frantically at the parts that don't suit them.

Let's face it chaps, if your own countries were so great, why on Earth did you come to Thailand to live in the first place ? :o

Let's face it chaps, if your own countries were so great, why on Earth did you come to Thailand to live in the first place ?

Agreed, but that does not mean we need to turn off our brains and not see racism when we see it. If a Thai lifts our wallet, do we say, that is the Thai cultural way, to share with neighbors. No, we say THIEF!

... Of course, it is often very rude and of course it is a racial word because they are referring to people with white skin.
Is there a MORE RUDE word that Thais know that also means farangs? yes

If so, what is it? kwai = buffalo

'farang' originally means 'longnose' (not white skin) and was given to the french who were the first in numbers in indochina. therefore land of the longnose = farangset = france. all kinds of generalization are a clear signs of impoliteness like frogs yanks krauts etc. the polite way to address somebody in thailand is title + first name like khun, nong, pii, lung etc. depending on the relation. if the 'farang' wants to be polite and be addressed politely, he introduces himself with his first name (or your choosen nick-name) + his age, so that the thai can address him correctly. if the thai can and wants he is friendly, if not you know: he doesn't want or can't.

and my good advice: never ever listen to: "ey farang" or you've lost your face.

If a Thai approaches you and compliments you on your skintone, would you take offence ?

Would you feel victimized or feel pretty good about yourself ?

I just don't get it with Farangs in Thailand, you're a long way from home, yet you expect it to be just like home.

I doubt very much that a Pakistani Immigrant in UK ever expected UK to be like Pakistan, yet Farangs in Thailand expect all the benefits Thailand has to offer, but whine frantically at the parts that don't suit them.

Let's face it chaps, if your own countries were so great, why on Earth did you come to Thailand to live in the first place ? :o

Weather, but hey I am from Canada :D