Is "farang" Impolite?

Neeranam

Is "farang" impolite  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i cant give u that kind of words

:S

Saving the good stuff for Khon Thai, chai mai? That is very Kee Nee Ow of you. I know, you are being polite. Its OK, let er rip!

ประสาทเสีย isn't eally often associated with farang. The only word I can think of right now is "khee nok" or ขี้นก...actually as far as I can remember, it's never been used with any other race except farang. :o

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant give u that kind of words

:S

Saving the good stuff for Khon Thai, chai mai? That is very Kee Nee Ow of you. I know, you are being polite. Its OK, let er rip!

hmmm kee neeow??

am i stingy?

Let me put it this way. If you asked me to name some insulting words for Thai people in English and I knew of any such words (I don't and I don't think they exist) I would tell you these words. I asked for some insulting words in Thai for white people, you say you know them, and won't share. Is that stingy?

Edited by Jingthing

Let me put it this way. If you asked me to name some insulting words for Thai people in English and I knew of any such words (I don't and I don't think they exist) I would tell you these words. I asked for some insulting words in Thai for white people, you say you know them, and won't share. Is that stingy?

No, probably just means she doesn't want to hurt your feelings and be impolite.

Which is errr... what were we talking about again?

Among less educated people in the States you can still hear Asians referred to as "gooks" -- now that's rude.

FWIW I'd consider "farang" the Thai equivalent of a westerner using the word "asian." No offense meant, none taken (by yours truly anyway).

Obviously if the westerner in question looks especially goofy or is doing something particularly wacky there may be a tiny bit of a piss take going on amongst the khon Thai.

:D

@ thithi: age of consent in Thailand is 15, right, so u must b really young huh? :o

ประสาทเสีย - bprà-sàat sĭa - also can't be associated with farangs, since it means "brain not working". If only farangs had that problem, then I'd agree

That is probably new to alot of us.

Anyway, most people do know khee nok, and translated into the English birdshit can indeed be a noun also used as an adjective. Lets try it out for size:

KHEE NOK MAGAZINE

KHEE NOK FILM FESTIVAL

KHEE NOK PRIDE PARADE

KHEE NOK POLITICS

KHEE NOK BIRDWATCHING TOURS

KHEE NOK AIRLINES (Pattaya to all white countries)

KHEE NOK FLAG (beige with white stripes and a pooping bird in the center)

Hmmm. I guess not.

Can't say this farang didn't try ...

Edited by Jingthing

ประสาทเสีย - bprà-sàat sĭa - also can't be associated with farangs, since it means "brain not working". If only farangs had that problem, then I'd agree

Anyway, most people do know khee nok, and translated into the English birdshit can indeed be a noun also used as an adjective. Lets try it out for size:

KHEE NOK MAGAZINE

KHEE NOK FILM FESTIVAL

KHEE NOK PRIDE PARADE

KHEE NOK POLITICS

Hmmm. I guess not.

we dnt really say that

Khee Nok isn't quite the tone of word I was looking for, but you gotta admit it would be <deleted> HILARIOUS if one day white people all over Thailand aggressively insisted that we would not tolerate being called FARANGS any longer, you must call us KHEE NOK! Not just one odd person, but the masses of us. An interesting social experiment if nothing else.

Once again, I think that you guys fail to miss the point. I think what is funny is that all the "Thailangs" seem to be the first to answer a question or post from the standpoint that 'If I was Thai' or 'This is what Thais think' this is what I would say'. Well guys, or Thailangs, which make up 90% of this forum. You are not Thai. You will never be Thai. No matter how many good things you say about Thailand, will any of this become true Thai. Why have you in Thailand lost your sense of what is right and wrong? Oh, I know... we are guests here. if you don't like it why you stay.. all that crazy stuff. Jesus what is happening in the U.S. we dominate everything (or want too) What about you guys in the U.K? Remember 'The suns never sets' Christ dont' get me going on Germany!!!

I think that you guys, once again, lost the point.. The guy asked his 4TH YEAR THAI COLLEGE STUDENTS WHO WERE THAI. Not a bunch of old men that wish they were Thai. Think guys, he wasn't asking for your comments, he just trying to save you guys from 'losing face' from the guys that think that they know everything about' face' again, again, again, again... Bring it on 'Thailangs'!

what are we then?

This thread has been done a billion times, more importantly I just figured out your avatar..........it's a lamp ! All this time I thought it was a lady's crotch ! Man, that's a funny halucination......

The thread, as I understand it the first whites here were French, "Farangset' in Thai, morphed to cover all foreigners to "Farang". Impliteness I think would have to be taken in context, otherwise NOT.

Huggybear I thought that was a pair of a womens legs going up to pink heaven myself. thats a hel_l of a subliminal avatar!

Yes, thanks for pointing that out huggy. Its a bit like when psychiatrists show you a squashed blob of paint and ask you what you see. At least I know there are at least two other members that see the good in everything.

Oh yes...falang ? Don't like it ? How about we call ourselves Macksidars. Don't know the history of this one but it sounds like they see us as people who frequent fast food places and have a burger with a side order ?

"macksida" as you put it, is Lao for "farang". Exactly the same meaning.

Yes, I know what macksida means but what is the etymology of it ? If falang is derived from trying to call foreigners French does it mean that in dark history there was a pale faced bloke with red hair and striped trousers running around Isaan ? Does fast food have a history here that we know nothing about ? :o

Once again, I think that you guys fail to miss the point...

Uhh... thanks for sorting us out.

Whatever...

Bottom line for me is I don't need to search for insignificant sh!t to stress about. Better to focus on the good stuff and enjoy myself.

Just look @ thithi, only 18 and already sick of people and stuffs.. :o

what are we then?

This thread has been done a billion times, more importantly I just figured out your avatar..........it's a lamp ! All this time I thought it was a lady's crotch ! Man, that's a funny halucination......

The thread, as I understand it the first whites here were French, "Farangset' in Thai, morphed to cover all foreigners to "Farang". Impliteness I think would have to be taken in context, otherwise NOT.

Huggybear I thought that was a pair of a womens legs going up to pink heaven myself. thats a hel_l of a subliminal avatar!

Yes, thanks for pointing that out huggy. Its a bit like when psychiatrists show you a squashed blob of paint and ask you what you see. At least I know there are at least two other members that see the good in everything.

Oh yes...falang ? Don't like it ? How about we call ourselves Macksidars. Don't know the history of this one but it sounds like they see us as people who frequent fast food places and have a burger with a side order ?

"macksida" as you put it, is Lao for "farang". Exactly the same meaning.

Yes, I know what macksida means but what is the etymology of it ? If falang is derived from trying to call foreigners French does it mean that in dark history there was a pale faced bloke with red hair and striped trousers running around Isaan ? Does fast food have a history here that we know nothing about ? :o

"macksida" is pronouced "bak-sii-daa" and is Lao for the fruit guava.

"farang" is Thai for the fruit guava.

Thais call westerners "farang", so Lao has followed this trend and call westerners "macksida".

Edited by 5tash

KHEE NOK MAGAZINE

KHEE NOK FILM FESTIVAL

KHEE NOK PRIDE PARADE

KHEE NOK POLITICS

Hmmm. I guess not.

Can't say this farang didn't try ...

Please don't get your "kee noks" and your "kee ngoks"muddled up.

Farang Kee Nok is not always an insult. It was originally THAIS who were called "farang kee nok"!

Farang kee ngok means stingy - ขี้งก

Edited by Neeranam

To get back go the point, I've only been here a couple of years but I take 'falang' to mean foreigner (in a not too kindly way!)

In the West we find that insulting and racist, but here (!!!!) it's normal and we have to live with it.

yeh

been arguing since i woke up

Long one huh all about the word "farang"

farang's topic

farang started

farang post

but i'm thai ... dunno exactly wht im doing here

@F1fanatic

that's right

Edited by thithi

yeh

farang's topic

farang started

farang post

@F1fanatic

that's right

You trying to explain that is normal words and you doing your best sharing Thai words maybe ?

Similar with other one "look look at farang"

Farang got offended by Thai mom give her kids attraction by saying that.

For me (yes im Thai) farang is common use but if it to insult or negative saying Thai people can use I-Farang, E-Frang, Buk-Rang

So only "farang" word I recomment all foreigners here to accept it at lease when negative conver comes up it will be more worse than just "farang" Or you guys can explain that you dont like to be called farang plz call me....whatever names, I think they'd accept as well.

yeh

farang's topic

farang started

farang post

@F1fanatic

that's right

You trying to explain that is normal words and you doing your best sharing Thai words maybe ?

Similar with other one "look look at farang"

Farang got offended by Thai mom give her kids attraction by saying that.

For me (yes im Thai) farang is common use but if it to insult or negative saying Thai people can use I-Farang, E-Frang, Buk-Rang

So only "farang" word I recomment all foreigners here to accept it at lease when negative conver comes up it will be more worse than just "farang" Or you guys can explain that you dont like to be called farang plz call me....whatever names, I think they'd accept as well.

couldnt agree more

someone is so western and dnt want to try to understand or accept any other cultures

yeh

farang's topic

farang started

farang post

@F1fanatic

that's right

Sorry, I apologise for being thick - but I've no idea why you're criticising me?!

yeh

farang's topic

farang started

farang post

@F1fanatic

that's right

Sorry, I apologise for being thick - but I've no idea why you're criticising me?!

Sorry, just realised you weren't!

couldnt agree more

someone is so western and dnt want to try to understand or accept any other cultures

I know! Why they come to another country if they want everything same same!

ฝรั่งบ้ามั่ง

hahaha and im Bah reading farang bah post

Duel thread - I posted this earlier tonight :

get back go the point, I've only been here a couple of years but I take 'falang' to mean foreigner (in a not too kindly way!)

In the West we find that insulting and racist, but here (!!!!) it's normal and we have to live with it.

So what is the phonetic pronunciation of farang? Or it is said just the say it sounds?

Its good to see these stupid debates on Political correctness dont only exist in western cultures :o:D

At the end of the day its the infliction put on it.

I call poms poms... I mean the English poms.. :D But its in a nice way.. Like.. "Those poms cant play cricket!" :D

You can tell when people are being nasty or just takin the piss, people need to lighten up a bit:D

So what is the phonetic pronunciation of farang? Or it is said just the say it sounds?

FARANG - noun, adjective, colloquial, loanword, French ??(FRAN{ce}??] non-Asian foreigner, usually white.

Properly the Thai pronounce their R somewhat like the Scots, with a light single trill.

I asked an educated Thai friend of mine why they transliterated it as R but pronounced it like an L. He answered with one word: Laziness. Apparently for a native Thai speaker it is easier to make an L sound than an R sound.

FA R(L)ANG = ฝรั่ง =F(a) รั่=R(a) =NG When you slur the R into an L, you get Falang.

Just say FALANG like 99% of the Thais and you'll be fine.