Why No Thread Here On Phuket Forum About Airport?

fiddlehead

I certainly cannot understand why threads about the airport closure and PAD protests in Phuket would be moved OUT of the Phuket forum.

The locals here often come to Thai Visa to find out what's going on without govt censorship in the media.

Looks like they've now censored Thai Visa too.

What's up with that? anyone know?

Lots of news on "Trip Advisor Phuket" but i prefer this forum and know many of the posters.

I certainly cannot understand why threads about the airport closure and PAD protests in Phuket would be moved OUT of the Phuket forum.

The locals here often come to Thai Visa to find out what's going on without govt censorship in the media.

Looks like they've now censored Thai Visa too.

What's up with that? anyone know?

Lots of news on "Trip Advisor Phuket" but i prefer this forum and know many of the posters.

COme on george whats going on? Maybe the site is being cleaned up as there have been hundreds of posts...Maybe if anyone has any travel news they can post here....The last news we heard was that the government will be meeting at 1.30 pm today to discuss the situation! So nothing major will happen till then..Phuket airport is still closed and would not open again till at least 6 pm tonight. That can change so any news from Phuket please.............

I am from Australia and have come to this forum to find out about the safetly issue of going to Phuket in 3 weeks time... We have never been there and are very worried about it... I thought this site under the Phuket forum would be the logical place to find out what is really happening there?

Edited by ajentjay

I am from Australia and have come to this forum to find out about the safetly issue of going to Phuket in 3 week stime... We have never been there and are very worried about it... I thought this site under the Phuket forum would be the logical place to find out what is really happening there?

Yes this has been by far the best site as members on the ground have been posting facts ref. whats hapening at the airports and have been well in advance of the news media...There is some sort of problem at the moment as pages will not load.. The country is in limbo at the moment and is waiting to see what will happen after the governments meeting at 1.30 pm local time today...I myself was going to Phuket today but cannot get thgere as the airport is closed. i was thinking about going to Koh Sumoe( can't spell yet still have asleep) but air asia will not answer the help desk phone for the last 2 days and anyway i have a 4 year old son so do not want to get stuck in bangkok airport....

Things happen quickly here and usually with not too many bad situations occuring..If you are comming in 3 weeks then i should think all will be ok..also internal problems do not usually cause us forigners too much concern. Thai's normally welcome us with open arms even if with a hand out! lol

Just keep checking this site over the next couple of weeks... I wouls still say its safer here thjan in the uk where i come from!

Good luck and see at the time whats happening .

Another option is to rent a car and drive.

Now, if i have the time (and extra money) i love driving me and my family from PHuket to Bangkok. WE always take 2 full days to do it because we drive many smaller roads once we get up around Chumphon where you are not far from the east coast of the isthmus.

We sometimes stay in Chaam at a beautiful old hotel that is only 400 baht a night.

This is a great way to see real Thailand and not just the fairytale that is Phuket.

Of course there is also the buses but you don't see much as they are usually night buses. They are nice but cold (bring a sweater)

I'm afraid for the businesses in Phuket that many tourists will be changing their plans over this protest. Good luck to all!

Another option is to rent a car and drive.

Now, if i have the time (and extra money) i love driving me and my family from PHuket to Bangkok. WE always take 2 full days to do it because we drive many smaller roads once we get up around Chumphon where you are not far from the east coast of the isthmus.

We sometimes stay in Chaam at a beautiful old hotel that is only 400 baht a night.

This is a great way to see real Thailand and not just the fairytale that is Phuket.

Of course there is also the buses but you don't see much as they are usually night buses. They are nice but cold (bring a sweater)

I'm afraid for the businesses in Phuket that many tourists will be changing their plans over this protest. Good luck to all!

Goodmorning Fiddlehead! the idea of driving sounds great but I'am in Chaing Rai and have 5 members of my family here..So have resigned ourselves to staying up here..Been to Phuket many times so not a big loss for us. Feel so sorry for people looking on from abroad who have booked hols. here. When you see the protests as when you hear that bombs are going off in Thailand you tend to think its everywhere. Also it looks worse that it is....Its going to take a lot to get the torist trade (already damaged)up to where it was...Also PAD have said they are setting up roadblocks, they say not to target tourists but they will get caught up....Anyone any info. on whats happening around bangkok airport? Is the airport full of people waiting for connections to Phuket? Any news about the situation in Phuket? Yes good luck to all....

There was a rumor posted that said PAD was going to blockade the sarasin bridge.. No busses, no emergency ways out etc..

Not trying to be chicken little, but as the other threads are not working.. Can anyone comment on if this is fact, if the bridge is open, of there are any PAD there at all ??

not sure why the last page cannot be opened guys. i am on to admin now. hopefully it will be resolved soon.

the reason that threads are closed down is that there are links on this thread, and there is already a big thread going in news clippings. admin doesnt want too many threads running about the same topic.

Ok Donna, understood. But it started in the Phuket Forum, so maybe should have been moved to Phuket News Clippings ? Instead it was move to Thai News Clipping. What's the point in having Phuket News ?

I always thought that the point in having a Phuket forum is to discuss things happening in Phuket.

That's why i come here so often. I know the people posting (our at least through online reading)

I know who's opinion i respect and who i think is foolish.

I usually am concerned with what's happening here.

I don't go to those Bangkok forums very much as I don't know those people.

Hoping it stays in Phuket forum.

i hear what you are saying fellas, but the thread was not moved by me. personally i think it is phuket news, but its an admin decision as it does seem to be affecting the whole country, not just phuket.

i have to respect the decision thats been made, sorry. but i can see both sides of the coin here.

in fact, if you look on the phuket news, you will see a topic with a link to the main thread. just click and go.

All well and good, but the 2 news threads about southern airports are broken.. So a link to a broken thread doesnt help too much..

Anyway. Lets just use this thread for now.

I guess as a foreigner I never will really understand how many Thai people think, but I can't see any reason for these groups to shut down the airports. Other than getting a lot of people angry at them, and potentially costing the country a huge amount of money from tourism, what's the point?

Is it to put even more pressure on the PM to resign? That's the only answer I can come up with, but maybe I'm missing something?

I guess as a foreigner I never will really understand how many Thai people think, but I can't see any reason for these groups to shut down the airports. Other than getting a lot of people angry at them, and potentially costing the country a huge amount of money from tourism, what's the point?

Is it to put even more pressure on the PM to resign? That's the only answer I can come up with, but maybe I'm missing something?

Pleeeeze... discussion posts in the discussion thread. This thread should relate only to what's actually happening her on the Phuket ground.. Thanks :o

Yes, no problems with the Sarasin Bridge when I checked last night. A colleague had reported that a friend had said etc etc ... that the bridge was closed, but not true.

Now it's raining hard (11.15am), which may help to dampen the enthusiasm of the PAD demonstrators.

Simon

Sorry if off topic but........Have just come back from the agents where i booked flights from Chaing rai to bangkok then on to phuket five people in all going also return flights...Wanting a refund of course..The agents phoned airasia at chaing rai airport, they said they will refund the flights from Bangkok to Phuket and back but not to and fro Bangkok from chaing rai..Did my nut and got the girl to explain that I booked to go to and back from Chaing Rai...The manager then came into his shop and said he will sort it out and I will get a refund tomorrow..Well i have my doubts but I always book through him and I'am sure he will do his best. He told me that if you just accept what they say they will not refund but as i did shout a little then airasia will refund...He said its the way they work..So if you have booked with airasia then work a few F's into them to get a refund....Oh yes he said that Phuket is open and Thai air and bangkok air are flying in!! well I said i had reliable info from Thaivisa forum that it was not..He said for sure it was open but airasia were scared it would close again and would not fly in...

STRANGE OR WHAT!! No reason for him to lie...Are a few catch up flights going in?

Also tried to change well got a price to fly to koh Samuie( still can't spell!) from bangkok 4,700 baht prices up a bit i think as more people change destination....

Yes, no problems with the Sarasin Bridge when I checked last night. A colleague had reported that a friend had said etc etc ... that the bridge was closed, but not true.

Now it's raining hard (11.15am), which may help to dampen the enthusiasm of the PAD demonstrators.

Simon

Lets hope so, I'm crossing my fingers that the airport opens this evening